Pro Cycling 2020 **Giro d'Italia 2020 **

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Yep, such a frustrating end. Was cursing at Quick-Step for being the cowards that they were. On the other hand, no one could follow Bettiol on the Kwaremont, so he was the strongest in the race apart from maybe Van der Poel.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
Fecking hell did someone see the sprint in Sarthe yet? :lol: Van der Poel is ridiculous.

In other news, water is wet and Alaphilippe wins in Spain. Bjorg Lambrecht came second, he's a star in the making as well.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
Campenaerts will attack the UCI's Hour Record later today, 17:00h CET. It's currently in hands of Wiggins with a distance of 54,526 metres.

Think Campenaerts will obliterate it and go over 55km, maybe even 56.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
Fecking hell Van der Poel. Top favourite for the Amstel now.

Ainu

Van der Poel is insane, beating Alaphilippe and Matthews in uphill sprints now as well. Where is it going to end with him? Loads of respect for Campenaerts as well. There are much better time trialists out there but very few, if any, with the same determination and work ethic. Well deserved.

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé
Was this stupid from Alaphilippe and Fulsang, or just...magic from Van der Poel? Both?

They had 30 seconds kilometer or so to go.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
Superhuman. Incredible story. I fecking love Van der Poel.

Ainu

I know Van der Poel is another level, but I've never seen anything like this before. Single handedly closing a gap of over a minute and demolishing everyone else in a sprint, without ever slowing down. Utterly insane.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
I know Van der Poel is another level, but I've never seen anything like this before. Single handedly closing a gap of over a minute and demolishing everyone else in a sprint, without ever slowing down. Utterly insane.
At fecking 24. Bigger talent than Boonen & co. We marvel at Van Aert but VDP is just next level. Could dominate from beginning of February till the end of April if he wants to.

Last edited:

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
So this is all over TV here. I just saw the last 10 minutes replayed, but what was special about it?

Mind you, Im the Jon Snow of pro cycling.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
So this is all over TV here. I just saw the last 10 minutes replayed, but what was special about it?

They were in an absolutely beaten position. Van der Poel attacked first as well, but nobody would let him get away and then when Alaphilippe and Fuglsang got away, nobody wanted to help him in the chase either. Those two are no slouches either since the former is probably the guy to beat in that kind of races.

He (almost) single handedly closed the gap with the attackers, and then took them all to the cleaners in the sprint in an absolutely overpowering way. Alaphilippe is supposed to be one of the fastest guys on such finishes and Van der Poel just blew them away. It was also his first ever Amstel race and only the second time he was doing a 250km plus race. Made my think of the World Championships in 2005 in Madrid where the Belgians worked together to bring Boonen back from a beaten position as well, only Van der Poel had to close the gap himself and finish it off, all the while everyone just followed him and knew who they had to beat, but they could not do it. That's how strong he is.

He doesn't have a great team either, he's inexperienced on the road, and he was the overwhelming favourite. To cap it off in such a way is just bizarre and not something you see every day.

If you only watched the last 10' it's probably not long enough to get a feel for the dynamics of the race so it's understandable that you don't really get excited by it. I re-wachted the finish more than ten times today probably, still in disbelief and it almost brought a tear to my eye. That kid is so special, you should feel lucky to have him. He can literally do it all and will probably dominate the classics in Spring for half a decade from now on.

Henrik Larsson

Still logged in at RAWK (help!)

To add to what Robin said, you have to understand who Van der Poel is as well, which is already quite a story. His grandfather via his mother is Raymond Poulidor, his dad is obviously Adrie van der Poel. Belgian born but races under the Dutch flag.

Then there's the fact that Mathieu really hasn't been that interested in road cycling or wielrennen which I find quite amusing for various reasons. Up until now I had the impression that the guy simply just loves cyclocross/veldrijden too much to ever stop with it. He also picked up mountain biking, wanted to go to the 2016 Olympics but was injured and he's now planning to qualify for the 2020 Olympics, he will start with that in a couple of weeks actually.

Note how these three are all quite different sports/disciplines, more often than not cyclists just pick one and specialize and make a career in that. Van der Poel's just too uniquely talented though, and he wants it all. He's never about calculating or grinding out results that much, always about pushing for the victory even if it's not the most smart thing to do. He also refused the high money offers from all the big cycling teams, he likes the autonomy he has at his current slightly smaller team and the fact he can pretty much do as he pleases over there and is mostly allowed to focus on whatever discipline he wants.

So this year he made his debut at the highest road cycling level or whatever it's called in English. Plenty of good results, displaying his unique talent already to a point where plenty of the other guys were looking out for him. Was named the favourite as well for the Amstel Gold race like Robin said because of his resent results, and perhaps the Dutch/Belgian hype machine surrounding that race. His father once won it too by the way, which is another nice historic feat.

Anyway then the race itself, you should probably watch a Studio Sport summary showing parts of the complete race, not just the end. He attacks at 45 km for the finish at a point which didn't make any sense at all in retrospect. Got punished for it and it seemed game over for him. Then that comeback, my word.

I'm sure you've seen Lance Armstrong tweeted afterwards it was the best race he'd ever seen, hands down, a compliment like that probably underlines how special it was. I was watching with an old uncle and a cousin who are really into cycling and they could hardly recall seeing something like that before. Can't really think of a good comparison to football, but it's just magical and it seemed like it was written.

Last edited:

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Thanks for the write up guys. That does sound quite impressive:) and a nice backstory as well.

Last edited:

Henrik Larsson

Still logged in at RAWK (help!)
Not sure if it actually means anything, just can't help posting it because it looks so damn nice. That's the average speed over a kilometer as well, meaning his top speed was probably around 70 km/h for the last kilometer...

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
Alaphilippe as a 99% certainty, unless Valverde has an excellent day.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
Never in doubt, easiest money you could've made this week. With Valverde not as explosive as he used to be on the Mur and VDP not racing, there is no one in this current field who can rival Alaphilippe on this.

Ainu

Never in doubt, easiest money you could've made this week. With Valverde not as explosive as he used to be on the Mur and VDP not racing, there is no one in this current field who can rival Alaphilippe on this.
I would think VDP can't beat Alaphilippe there. There's no escaping the extra weight on a finish as brutal as the Mur. It's the ultimate race for punchers. Injuries and form permitting, Alaphilippe should be unbeatable on that finish for several years to come.

Ainu

Fecking hell that descent by Fuglsang, how did he stay upright there?? What a tragedy that would've been. Now go on and win this monument. Well deserved if he gets it.

RedFish

Giro d'Italia starts tomorrow.

Egan Bernal out for Team Ineos (sky) but will have strong top 10 contenders in Tao Geoghagan Hart and Pavel Sivakov. Favourites Simon Yates, Dumoulin, Roglic and of course, the legend Nibali.

RedFish

Lets go, ABI!

:nervous:

But seriously, I read Roglič might be one of the favourites, and that wouldn't be bad winner at all.
Hey Smoker!

Roglic is deserved favourite and a superb rider. Can do everything. He's a former ski jumper! Cannot be in better form leading into the ITT tomorrow.

Really, being favourite means naff all in the Giro. I'd say all bets are odd until you survive the first 10 days. So unpredictable and notoriously difficult race to control means that an inherent nous for racing should stand you in good stead.

Favourites are obvious, but the likes of Majka, Pozzovivo, Landa, Zacharin, Mollema and others make up a seriously good field. I have no idea who'll win which is why I love this race more than any other.

I have the next 10 days off work so will be able to enjoy me some Giro! :) Make sure you watch it!

Last edited:

RedFish

Yates with an excellent ride. I do wonder if Roglic can maintain this form for 3 more weeks. Overall, a good start to the Giro I thought.