Pro Cycling 2020 **Giro d'Italia 2020 **

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
So happy that at least Paris-Nice is going through - today and tomorrow are fairly boring but from then on it should be interesting.

Ainu

All races in Flanders in March canceled, so Nokere Koerse, E3 and Gent-Wevelgem. The Tour of Flanders is the first week of April so not officially canceled, but I can't see it happening. Pretty sure we won't be watching any cycling until at least the summer.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
Season extended until October 31st - I think there's a very real possibility that we'll see the classics at the back-end of the season now. Roubaix at the end of October could be a classic!

Also discussions about organizing the Tour behind closed doors. I don't have anything against it at first sight, it's not like I'm going to the races anyway. But they have to prioritize the racer's health and safety of course, and the Tour is a whole big circus and lots of press, staff etc. - don't know if it's realistic from a logistics POV.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
These re-runs of some classic on TV are epic, this 2005 one brings so much emotions and nostalgia back for me. Boonen was awesome in that period.

Sunday's going to be 2015 Gent-Wevelgem, had much rather had the one with Vandenbroucke and Mattan, or Mattan and Flecha.

Kasper

Supports
Hansa Rostock / Bradford City
These re-runs of some classic on TV are epic, this 2005 one brings so much emotions and nostalgia back for me. Boonen was awesome in that period.

Sunday's going to be 2015 Gent-Wevelgem, had much rather had the one with Vandenbroucke and Mattan, or Mattan and Flecha.
YouTube is also a gold mine these days. There are hours long re-uploaded highlights of the grand tours. I've already gone through the TdF of 1995-2001. Riis attack on Hautacam in 1996, Ullrich leaving Virenque and Pantani(!) in the dust in Andorra 1997, crazy times.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
YouTube is also a gold mine these days. There are hours long re-uploaded highlights of the grand tours. I've already gone through the TdF of 1995-2001. Riis attack on Hautacam in 1996, Ullrich leaving Virenque and Pantani(!) in the dust in Andorra 1997, crazy times.
Those were the days. Ullrich is from Rostock, do you live there? I fecking loved him back then. The 2003 Tour with him at Bianchi is still one of the best I've ever witnessed.

Kasper

Supports
Those were the days. Ullrich is from Rostock, do you live there? I fecking loved him back then. The 2003 Tour with him at Bianchi is still one of the best I've ever witnessed.
Not living in Rostock but yeah, was a big Ullrich fan when I was young. For me he's still the most aesthetically pleasing cyclist to watch, such smooth strides.
2003 was brilliant, I agree, still enjoy watching replays of the first time trial in brutal heat where he took 1:30 minutes out of Armstrong. If he attacks earlier the next stage and not just close to the end and if the crash of Armstrong on stage 15 didn't happen (in hindsight I actually argue that the crash benefited him since he was full of Adrenalin and Ullrich got out of rythm) I think he wins

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
Not living in Rostock but yeah, was a big Ullrich fan when I was young. For me he's still the most aesthetically pleasing cyclist to watch, such smooth strides.
2003 was brilliant, I agree, still enjoy watching replays of the first time trial in brutal heat where he took 1:30 minutes out of Armstrong. If he attacks earlier the next stage and not just close to the end and if the crash of Armstrong on stage 15 didn't happen (in hindsight I actually argue that the crash benefited him since he was full of Adrenalin and Ullrich got out of rythm) I think he wins
That damn crash by Ullrich himself at the roundabout in the time trial second to last stage, pouring rain that day... And then you hear he couldn't be bothered to do a recon on the track :lol: I was devastated when that happened. But great TDFs in that period yeah - Armstrong's crash, Beloki's crash, just iconic for me, but maybe I'm being too nostalgic. These days I'm much more interested in the Classics in April because the Tour has become too boring. Last Tour I really enjoyed was with the battle between Rasmussen and Contador in the white jersey. Doped up, sure, but great entertainment.

SirAF

Ageist
That damn crash by Ullrich himself at the roundabout in the time trial second to last stage, pouring rain that day... And then you hear he couldn't be bothered to do a recon on the track :lol: I was devastated when that happened. But great TDFs in that period yeah - Armstrong's crash, Beloki's crash, just iconic for me, but maybe I'm being too nostalgic. These days I'm much more interested in the Classics in April because the Tour has become too boring. Last Tour I really enjoyed was with the battle between Rasmussen and Contador in the white jersey. Doped up, sure, but great entertainment.

Luz Ardiden, my favorite TdF stage to this day. I still watch the highlights now and again! LA’s crash, the heroics from Chavanel and Armstrong’s gesture of respect as he passed him:

The perfect stage.

Last edited:

Zen

Luz Ardiden - love it. My greatest effort on a climb.... dropped a solid 330W average up it, the days, wish I could refind that form. Barely got under an hour up Alp d'Zwift yesterday... though reasonably, not miles behind as that was 290W.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Luz Ardiden, my favorite TdF stage to this day. I still watch the highlights now and again! LA’s crash, the heroics from Chavanel and Armstrong’s gesture of respect as he passed him:

The perfect stage.
This picture made me realize that mandatory helmets is a recent thing. I quickly got used to it.

Last edited:

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
They used to chuck the helmets if the stage finished with a climb, right?
That's a great reference I forgot about that, it only lasted two years, between 2003 and 2005, where helmets weren't mandatory during the final climb. Before 2003 helmets were optional and in 2005 the UCI made them mandatory.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
They used to chuck the helmets if the stage finished with a climb, right?
Yeah, for a short time that was allowed too. The UCI made it obligatory in '03 after Kivilev died because of a crash in Paris-Nice :(

Zen

When I got to take my helmet off when a few of the guys drove up the mountains, it was beautiful.... I'd generally ride helmetless if drivers didn't generally bother me. Even now in lockdown and not much on the roads, I still rock the lid over here.

Kasper

Supports
The crash was annoying as he would've gotten at least another stage win but it did not matter with regards to the Tour win, he woudn't have taken 1:10 off Armstrong that day (curvy TT, which suited Armstrong and no heat like at the first TT). And not doing the track beforehand was definitely lazy but I have watched the crash a lot and I don't think it came down to lack of knowledge on the course, he simply had bad bad luck slipping there. For me he "lost" the Tour (apart from being ill on Alpe d`Huez) still on stage 13 and 15, due to the lack of a proper attack when Armstrong was suffering on the plateau de bonascre and the crazyness on Luiz Ardiden.

Agree with you on the latter, the last duell I enjoyed was Contador vs Schleck in 2010 but haven't watched much since then. I recently got back into it a bit more with the TdF 2019 being up and down. There's one thing I noticed, also with regards to this years course, and that's the complete lack of long individual TTs. Back when I was following a lot TdF there used to be the opening Prolog as a short TT and then two long ones, sometimes one replaced by an mountain time trial. And they were often 50 or even 60+ kilometers. This years (nevermind that its gonna be postponed) TdF has a single TT of 36km.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
According to Marca, the Tour will be held in the first three weeks of August. Then the Vuelta in September and the Giro in October...

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
Provisional new calender:
  • National championships: 22 - 23 August
  • Tour de France: 29 August - 20 September
  • EC Trente (Ita): 9 - 13 September
  • WC Martigny (Swi): 20 - 27 September
  • Giro after WC, Vuelta after that
  • Roubaix, Flanders, San Remo, Lombardia and L-B-L will be placed somewhere in between all of that.

I don't like it, but am of course happy that there'll still be some races left this season (hopefully).

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
God I miss cycling, much more than football to be honest.

Just re-watched the last 20km of the Amstel Gold Race last year. That comeback from Van der Poel was just stupendous. I really hope Corendon somehow gets access to the Tour this year.

RedFish

That Lance docu on BT looks good. Caught a glimpse of it half way through Part 1 where he was on a speedboat with his daughter passing by the ridiculous property he bought when he was earning big dollar.

Looking forward this.

RedFish

Froome leaving Ineos at the end of the season & joining Israel Start Up Nation next year.

https://www.skysports.com/more-spor...ur-de-france-winner-to-leave-at-end-of-season
Right decision though shame he couldn't strike a deal. I respected him but never really loved him. Part of that was him being a cock to Wiggins and Sky on the Peyragudes. I more fondly remember the efforts of Kwiato and Poels, Nieve and Kirienka, and Thomas in getting him those wins more than the wins themselves.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
How is the Tour in particular going to deal with the masses of people lining up in close proximity in light of Covid-19? It will be outside yes, but it still seems like a bad idea to not have a plan for that.

Kasper

Supports
@RobinLFC Do you speak a bit of German? German television has released a beautiful documentary about the TdF 1997 on Youtube:

Thought you might be interested and I know some Belgians speak a bit of German, hence I wanted to share it. Has some great footage and background info.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
@RobinLFC Do you speak a bit of German? German television has released a beautiful documentary about the TdF 1997 on Youtube:

Thought you might be interested and I know some Belgians speak a bit of German, hence I wanted to share it. Has some great footage and background info.
Nah I don't, I understand some parts of the documentary but not enough to fully grasp it :D Seems a good one though!

In other news, Evenepoel is UNREAL. Just beaten the likes of Bennett, Chaves, Carapaz, ... in the first mountain stage in Burgos. I'm starting to genuinely believe he can win the Giro or at least make the podium.

Ainu

Nah I don't, I understand some parts of the documentary but not enough to fully grasp it :D Seems a good one though!

In other news, Evenepoel is UNREAL. Just beaten the likes of Bennett, Chaves, Carapaz, ... in the first mountain stage in Burgos. I'm starting to genuinely believe he can win the Giro or at least make the podium.
Yeah I just saw that, Landa as well. We still need to see what he can in a longer tour but it's looking ominous for the rest... and great for us Belgians! :D How long has it been since we had a genuine contender, even in one-week tours? We've always done well in one-day races but with him we finally have someone for GC's.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
Yeah I just saw that, Landa as well. We still need to see what he can in a longer tour but it's looking ominous for the rest... and great for us Belgians! :D How long has it been since we had a genuine contender, even in one-week tours? We've always done well in one-day races but with him we finally have someone for GC's.
Jurgen Van den Broeck Tour 2010: always remember :lol: :lol:

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
Half an hour live at Strade Bianchi and it’s already such a great battle. Van der Poel, Alaphilippe, all in problems. Rooting for Van Aert or Van Avermaet.

God I missed cycling.

Ainu

Half an hour live at Strade Bianchi and it’s already such a great battle. Van der Poel, Alaphilippe, all in problems. Rooting for Van Aert or Van Avermaet.

God I missed cycling.
This is a fantastic performance from Van Aert, hope he can finish it! After that horror injury. There's no one I'd love to see win more than him.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
If Van Aert finishes this it’ll be delirium. One of the best mates of a friend of mine in Herentals. His talent is fecking insane. Come on Wout.

Ainu

If Van Aert finishes this it’ll be delirium. One of the best mates of a friend of mine in Herentals. His talent is fecking insane. Come on Wout.
Let's also remember this race is not even perfect for his build and weight. What is he going to do in De Ronde and Roubaix?

Ainu

This is just brilliant. I was so scared for his future after that injury in the Tour, and now this. Wow. He's going to have a phenomenal year. It's already a massive success.