Pro Cycling 2020 **Giro d'Italia 2020 **

RedFish

Akermannnnnnnn! Another stage win and Bora looked to have picked the right man over Bennett Excellent work in horrid conditions.

RedFish

Shame Dumoulin opted out. Who's left? Nibali, Yates, Roglic looks likely be the big 3 contenders left
Pretty much the main contenders now. Roglic looks great but i still won't bet on him until he proves he can not implode in the final week despite what he did at the Tour.

Hoping Sivakov and TaoGH can ride themselves close to a too 5 finish if not better.

Real shame for Dumoulim, what with all those TT km's yet to run.

Ainu

I definitely wouldn't count out Miguel Angel Lopez. He's one of the best pure climbers out there and is well placed at the moment. Time trial is his weakness but he didn't do too badly in the opening stage. Still two ITT's to come so it will all depend on how much damage limitation he can do there and how much damage he can do to others in the mountains.

I have to say I'm not a fan of this Giro so far. It's been boring and in my opinion there are far too many long stages. We've had 5 stages so far and 3 of those have been over 200 km. Today is another one with 238 km and there will be 5 more for the rest of the Giro. Are they trying to destroy the riders? Obviously they're going to take it easy during many of those stages and that doesn't make for interesting viewing.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
I'm "happy" Dumoulin is out tbh - there are enough riders going for the pink jersey to still keep it interesting and now he'll have a better chance to make life hard for Froome and Thomas in the Tour.

Haven't watched any of the stages so far, they're indeed too long and boring.

RedFish

You're both right, the stages so far are far too long. Another one today 238 km, but with some climbs making it impossible for the sprinters! Let's hope the 2nd week will encourage more racing.

vangagal

Well well well. Its blown open again. Lets hope Dumoulin not regret his decision to abandon this Giro. Interesting stage this one.

Ainu

Well well well. Its blown open again. Lets hope Dumoulin not regret his decision to abandon this Giro. Interesting stage this one.
He looked like he couldn't even finish another stage, let alone limit the time losses. It was definitely the right decision to quit.

It looks likes there's going to be serious time differences today. I think Roglic will improve Campenaerts' time and make a statement to the other contenders.

Ainu

Yates, Miguel Angel Lopez and Landa all getting blown away. Nibali was fairly decent but it all depends on Roglic's time.

vangagal

Roglic with awesome ride and Nibali with damage limitations. Cant count him out yet.
Yates lost 4mins to Roglic. That that shite Yates. Unless he do a Froome and barring any incidents he's done i think.

Ainu

Roglic looked so powerful during the climb, staying in perfect TT position. This man is in the form of his life. The only thing that's in doubt is his ability to close out a Grand Tour, but I fear for the rest. But you never know with a good Nibali in a tough 3rd week.

Ainu

Finally, the last sprint stage for a while (just 1 remaining later on) is behind us. Good riddance. Hopefully the Giro can finally give us something to stay awake for now.

vangagal

Amazing win for Carapaz. Really out of the blue this one. Only ride pro from 2016. Bit disappointing with lack of attack from Roglic in entire 2nd and 3rd week.

RedFish

Amazing win for Carapaz. Really out of the blue this one. Only ride pro from 2016. Bit disappointing with lack of attack from Roglic in entire 2nd and 3rd week.
Has been exceptional. Under the radar this win, although he did finish 4th in last year's Giro, I don't think anyone expected him to win the overall. Largely forgetttable 3 weeks though, the first 10 days killed it for me with endless hours of nothing. Pleased that Sivakov got a top 10 finish. Gutted that Bernal could not take part.

Hope the Tour will be more exciting.

Ainu

I thought in terms of competition for the GC this was a very poor edition, possibly the poorest Giro I have seen in many years. Carapaz was gifted a significant lead by Nibali and Roglic (who were just stupid or possibly arrogant) and from that point on, almost nothing happened anymore. Clearly, the others just weren't strong enough to drop him so he's a deserved winner, but there wasn't any excitement or development in the GC. There were some good, attacking mountain stages though, so that's something. But the lack of GC competition coupled with an extraodinarily boring first +-10 days makes this an edition to forget very quickly.

F-Red

Probably one of the poorest tours I’ve seen in a long while. Very sterile racing.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
Froome involved in a heavy crash this morning during the recon of the time trial today, apparently he rode into a wall or something like that.

Confirmed that he won't be starting the Tour.

vangagal

Such a shite year for Team Ineos. G is no slouch but Froome is the real deal for me. I guess its open up the GC bid wide this year.

Rooney24

Froome involved in a heavy crash this morning during the recon of the time trial today, apparently he rode into a wall or something like that.

Confirmed that he won't be starting the Tour.
They are saying he broke his pelvis.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
Such a shite year for Team Ineos. G is no slouch but Froome is the real deal for me. I guess its open up the GC bid wide this year.
Yeah, sucks for Froome personally but I'm also slightly optimistic that we're gonna have a good GC race this year because of it. Sadly Nibali came out of the Giro quite tired and Roglic won't even be starting because of it. Fingers crossed for Dumoulin.

vangagal

Yeah, sucks for Froome personally but I'm also slightly optimistic that we're gonna have a good GC race this year because of it. Sadly Nibali came out of the Giro quite tired and Roglic won't even be starting because of it. Fingers crossed for Dumoulin.
I'm not hold my hope high after watched Giro. I just hope Bernal finish in podium like Froome to Wiggins before. Is Evenopoel starting this year Tour?

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
I'm not hold my hope high after watched Giro. I just hope Bernal finish in podium like Froome to Wiggins before. Is Evenopoel starting this year Tour?
No, not a chance. He's being eased in by Quick-Step and will only have around 50-60 race days this season (and rightfully so imo). I think he's doing both Belgian championships at the end of this month and then takes a short break afterwards to refuel for the second half of the season.

Van Aert has been added to Jumbo-Visma's squad though, because Roglic was too tired to participate. It'll be great to see him in the Tour and he's definitely one to keep an eye on to win a (breakaway) stage.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
Speaking of Van Aert, he has just obliterated Dumoulin's time in the Dauphiné by 46 seconds (FOURTY SIX). What the feck :eek:

Ainu

Speaking of Van Aert, he has just obliterated Dumoulin's time in the Dauphiné by 46 seconds (FOURTY SIX). What the feck :eek:
He's an excellent time trialist. I believe he beat Tony Martin in a short TT a couple of years ago. Not peak Martin but still. Like van der Poel, he just seems to get better.

Ainu

Froome's injury is even worse than first reported. Fractured hip, thigh, elbow and ribs, jesus! That's going to be a very long and hard road to recovery just to be able to walk normally again. Let alone cycle professionally. What a terrible crash that must've been. Hope he pulls through without any lasting damage.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
Evenepoel is inhuman. Inhuman, I tell you.

Ainu

And now Van Aert wins a bunch sprint, a day after his utterly dominant time trial victory. Fecking hell, what a future we have to look forward to as Flemish cycling fans!

RedFish

Froome's surgery a success. At least 6 months out. Rumour has it that this may prevent him from winning this years TdF which starts well before his forcasted recovery time. Much will depend on Michelle Froome who has been very influential in Froome-dogs career to date.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Froome's injury is even worse than first reported. Fractured hip, thigh, elbow and ribs, jesus! That's going to be a very long and hard road to recovery just to be able to walk normally again. Let alone cycle professionally. What a terrible crash that must've been. Hope he pulls through without any lasting damage.
I second that. What ever some think of Chris Froome, he is an immensity dedicated athlete and one of the best ever cyclists.
The worry is that at 34, this very serious injury might spell the end of his career as an elite cyclist.
I genuinely hope not but it is a real concern.