Music Progressive Metal

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
Listened to metal all my life, but the last decade it seems like every band want to make their own genre.
I have absolutely no clue what genre i listen to, or what's what, i either like it or not :p
Deathcore grindcnut stabbawanka progrape corewhore etc...

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
That's what I was led to believe. But I've not heard either way. I've just read the Facebook post, and it's quite ambiguous. I hope he carries on doing it, or something similar under a different name.
Same here, just read the initial post. I'll keep an eye out for whatever both parties do next.

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé
Listened to metal all my life, but the last decade it seems like every band want to make their own genre.
I have absolutely no clue what genre i listen to, or what's what, i either like it or not :p
Deathcore grindcnut stabbawanka progrape corewhore etc...
Heh. But have to say, only the "Sci-Fi Prog Trash" part made me check out that Vektor band, not sure I would otherwise. :)

Now, waiting for Rom-com Grindcore.

Ainu

I love me some good old prog thrash. Voivod and Coroner immediately come to mind but the one band in the genre I like even more is the oft forgotten and criminally underrated Watchtower. Most would probably call it technical thrash instead of progressive but it's all the same to me. It's simply awesome.

Minkaro

Found about these guys recently. Really like the first three albums (well, hopefully others too, haven't heard them yet)...Riverside, from Poland.

I love them. The singer's got such a lovely voice. Have you heard Found (The Unexpected Flaw of Searching) yet? The guitarwork on that one is sublime (and the music video actually elevates the song).

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé
I love them. The singer's got such a lovely voice. Have you heard Found (The Unexpected Flaw of Searching) yet? The guitarwork on that one is sublime (and the music video actually elevates the song).
Indeed, lovely voice, and great sound of guitar. But haven't yet heard that one, have just first three albums. Though, as I like them, in process of acquiring the whole discography. :cool:

Anno Domini High Definition [2009]
Shrine of New Generation Slaves [2013]
Love, Fear and the Time Machine [2015]
Eye of the Soundscape [2016]

This should be it, album wise, right?

Ok, today is progressive rock/metal day, will try to listen to all the suggestions from the thread so far.

Minkaro

@Mrs Smoker - Yep, that's it for the studio albums. They do have a live one, but I couldn't say if that's any good or not. Eye of the Soundscape is a mostly instrumental one, just to prepare you for that. It's good, but quite different.

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé
Cheers, @Minkaro , listened to bits and pieces of their live dvd on youtube, and still good.

I love me some good old prog thrash. Voivod and Coroner immediately come to mind but the one band in the genre I like even more is the oft forgotten and criminally underrated Watchtower. Most would probably call it technical thrash instead of progressive but it's all the same to me. It's simply awesome.
These guys had a long hiatus? Saw the last album was released in 1989, and then EP from this year.

Ainu

Cheers, @Minkaro , listened to bits and pieces of their live dvd on youtube, and still good.

These guys had a long hiatus? Saw the last album was released in 1989, and then EP from this year.
They split up in the early 90's and never really got going again. They've tried to release some new stuff here and there but it never really happened. It's basically just the two 80's albums "Energetic Disassembly" and "Control and Resistance".

RedRoach

Best Prog Rock band ever IMO is Tool, unrivalled consistency and composition and Maynard's vocals are the best I have heard being able to do subtlety and power where needed. They simply do not have a bad album, also seen them live 3 times, and probably still the most amazing live band I have seen. They sync their video production with the music and every tour is completely different. Some other great albums:

* Porcupine Tree - The Incident
* Riverside - Love, Fear and the Time Machine
* Follakzoid - II
* Katatonia - The Fall of Hearts

Also a bit more mellow but I really like how Anathema have evolved from Doom Metal into acoustic prog rock. Checkout "Weather Systems" and "Distant Satellites" from Anathem (also a UK band).

Moby

Dick
Best Prog Rock band ever IMO is Tool
They're obviously legends of the genre, no doubt. My personal favourite would be Porcupine Tree though, they sure got a little typecast by the end (In my opinion Tool and Rush did as well) which was one of the reasons Steven left, but they have two decades of constant brilliant output and their discography pretty much defines Prog Rock for me. Absolutely idolise Steven and watching him live is an unforgettable experience. Cannot pick one single album from them, though. Like you said, The Incident is fantastic, so is Deadwing as well with classics like Arriving Somewhere But Not Here, Lazarus, etc. Fear of the Blank Planet, Lightbulb Sun, In Absentia also all consisting of some incredible tracks. Some of their earlier EPs are great to listen as well, love Nil Recurring and the way they inverted 'Sentimental' to 'Normal'. Sorry for the fanboi tone, always great to talk about them with someone who shares the same love for the genre.

PT, Tool, Rush, Yes... those were the days!

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé
@Mrs Smoker - Yep, that's it for the studio albums. They do have a live one, but I couldn't say if that's any good or not. Eye of the Soundscape is a mostly instrumental one, just to prepare you for that. It's good, but quite different.
Uff, went to Wiki to check that album up, as saw some songs from it also appeared on Shrine album, and stumbled onto news that their guitarist died last year. Freakin' shame, loved the sound and musicmanship of his.

RIP, Piotr Grudziński.

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

Best prog song of 2016 as far as i'm concerned:

I highly recommend them and i also recommend Leprous. The latter are one of Ihsahn's (Emperor) favorite bands and Ihsahn is a man of very good taste when it comes to music.

RedRoach

They're obviously legends of the genre, no doubt. My personal favourite would be Porcupine Tree though, they sure got a little typecast by the end (In my opinion Tool and Rush did as well) which was one of the reasons Steven left, but they have two decades of constant brilliant output and their discography pretty much defines Prog Rock for me. Absolutely idolise Steven and watching him live is an unforgettable experience. Cannot pick one single album from them, though. Like you said, The Incident is fantastic, so is Deadwing as well with classics like Arriving Somewhere But Not Here, Lazarus, etc. Fear of the Blank Planet, Lightbulb Sun, In Absentia also all consisting of some incredible tracks. Some of their earlier EPs are great to listen as well, love Nil Recurring and the way they inverted 'Sentimental' to 'Normal'. Sorry for the fanboi tone, always great to talk about them with someone who shares the same love for the genre.

PT, Tool, Rush, Yes... those were the days!
Yeah Porcupine Tree are great too, I just think that Tool are a bit more consistent with their albums. I can listen to any Tool album without ever wanting to skip a track, because they are all brilliant end-to-end, whilst PT albums are a bit more of a mixed bag (apart from The Incident) IMO.

I'm also a bit swayed by having seen Tool live 3 times. First during the Aenema tour where they were more dark and used stop motion video, it was simply amazing. Then during the Lateralus tour where they went completely psychedelic with colours and crazy trippy video production and finally during the 10,000 days tour where they went a bit darker again, but really stepped up the video production quality, they really were astounding. Also Maynard's voice is more dynamic for me than Steven.

But yes both great genre defining bands.

Minkaro

These are very Toolish. Actually, scrolling down to the comments people are saying "Opeth/Tool" (minus the growls)

and I'm going to link this album because Jorn is my favourite vocalist.

Ainu

Vektor are incredible, and the latest LP is probably their best yet.

Sci-Fi Prog Thrash is probably my favourite genre.
I only just got round to giving their latest album a proper listen. Holy fecking shit about sums it up. The closer Recharging the Void is ridiculous. It's like part Voivod, part Kreator, part post-Symbolic-era Death, part Emperor and part Pink Floyd all wrapped up in an epic 14 minute journey. Usually, throwing too many ideas in the mix is a recipe for disaster but here, somehow, it works. This is the essential modern-era prog thrash song. I could put this on repeat for a week and not get bored. The album as a whole has a strong shout to rival Mariner by Cult of Luna and Julie Christmas as my favourite of 2016. It's brilliant.

Woodzy

This is borderline as far as 'metal' goes, but has anyone heard The Similitude of a Dream?

I'm a huge Neal Morse fan at the best of times, but this album is pretty damn special if you like prog. And it true prog fashion, it took me about 5 listen to come to that decision.

Minkaro

Came across this, amazing music, shame so few people listen to it.

Oh, I listened to his album “Who Bit the Moon” after it got glowing reviews on Metalstorm. Good stuff.

In terms of instrumental prog stuff, check out JT Bruce. His stuff is available for free on his website subjectruin.net - I recommend Anomalous Material and Dreamer’s Paradox.

Classical Mechanic

Oh, I listened to his album “Who Bit the Moon” after it got glowing reviews on Metalstorm. Good stuff.

In terms of instrumental prog stuff, check out JT Bruce. His stuff is available for free on his website subjectruin.net - I recommend Anomalous Material and Dreamer’s Paradox.
Cheers. I'll check them out.

@Beachryan

No problem.

Classical Mechanic

Been listening to these. They're are kind of the logical progression from AAL. Incorporating more hip hop and dance music ideas into their virtuoso prog style. Both the guitar players stan Guthrie Govan which you can hear if you're familiar with him.

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

I prefer Prog Metal with Power Metal tendencies.
Symphony X of course and bands like Anubis Gate, Pyramaze, DGM, Teramaze or Vanden Plas.
A band that has a more modern sound I enjoy would be Voyager.

DrRodo

Honest worker, never posts
Came across this, amazing music, shame so few people listen to it.

Man, i got this track randomly assigned by spotify. Felt in love instantly! Beautiful song. I heard of David before but somehow didnt got this track.

DrRodo

Honest worker, never posts
Is there a place in this forum to share my band's demo? We play prog rock, good audio, studio quality but it's our first recording and i don't know if post it along the likes of Tool and Polyphia who are top pros :nervous:. But maybe the people in this thread may appreciate our work :)

Classical Mechanic

I liked it. I really like the lead guitar, it wasn't technical but the note choice, feel and use of effects really complimented the sludge metal kind of rhythm parts. I got a lot of sludge vibes from it but mixed with Scandinavian prog rock/metal on the clean parts through the vocals and clean guitars, kind of like Opeth or Katatonia.

How did the guitarist achieve that really long feedback note to bridge the sections of the song from 1.59? I loved that.

The mixing didn't sound right to me though, the vocals were lost in the mix at times.