Prophet Muhammad cartoon sparks Batley Grammar School protest

Carolina Red

Staff
Ah what a solution. That kid no longer deserves to learn about AP history because champion atheist carolina red cannot possibly teach a class without offending him.
The AP World curriculum is created by the College Board and is offered world wide. You could always take it up with them that depictions of Muhammad are literally part of Persian art.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
And again... I’ve had to offer the same consideration to students every time I’ve shown something violent or controversial. I’m not going to not show those things as they are pertinent to the curriculum I am teaching and those students need to learn how to approach those topics in a civil way in a democratic society.

If the teacher acted unprofessionally while showing that content, fine, he gets what he gets and I support that. But the use of controversial material in class shouldn’t be discouraged just because it is controversial.
It would seem that community standards would come into play here. If a large chunk of the demographic at a particular school are kids from backgrounds who would be offended, then that would obviously be a relevant consideration to factor in prior to deciding whether or not to introduce content.

Carolina Red

Staff
It would seem that community standards would come into play here. If a large chunk of the demographic at a particular school are kids from backgrounds who would be offended, then that would obviously be a relevant consideration to factor in prior to deciding whether or not to introduce content.
And I go back to my previous comments about the teacher’s actions in how he taught the material vs. the material itself and the fact that opt out rights exist.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
I have literally served on district curriculum writing committees. But again, what do I know?
Not much if I go by your justifications for what you feel like teaching at a high school vs college/university classes. "I know more than you" is also not very convincing of a stance when your argument is "kid better learn it, idc"

The AP World curriculum is created by the College Board and is offered world wide. You could always take it up with them that depictions of Muhammad are literally part of Persian art.
Persian art, Charlie Hebdo etc. Same difference I guess.

Roane

I literally said it is part of the curriculum. But hey, I guess you know more about the job than me.
Are you in USA? How does the curriculum work there?

As a general point and certainly not having a go at you personally, I don't like the "it's part of the curriculum" argument I have seen teachers use in different situations. Certainly here in England, in my experience of having worked in a school and as a parent.

Certainly the opt out isn't easy either. I have had my kids opt out of certain things and "it's the curriculum" argument was used. Only my own experience of being a teacher lead to the teacher/school backing down.

However the "it's the curriculum" isn't a free for all or restrictive. Sure there is guidance and source materials but also leeway for teachers to use their own materials or lessons. In fact I would say that contrary to the oft used argument of it's decided by education boards and such majority of the influence for curriculums comes from teachers and boards and principles.

entropy

For what it’s worth, I have multiple friends who work as ps teachers/design learning curriculums and none of them think it is a good idea to include such imagery as part of the curriculum. Especially for high school kids. Simply because it deters someone from that particular faith to speak up or it can lead to negative stereotypes regarding their faith, religious beliefs. Both are terrible situations for any student to be in.

Carolina Red

Staff
Are you in USA? How does the curriculum work there?

As a general point and certainly not having a go at you personally, I don't like the "it's part of the curriculum" argument I have seen teachers use in different situations. Certainly here in England, in my experience of having worked in a school and as a parent.

Certainly the opt out isn't easy either. I have had my kids opt out of certain things and "it's the curriculum" argument was used. Only my own experience of being a teacher lead to the teacher/school backing down.

However the "it's the curriculum" isn't a free for all or restrictive. Sure there is guidance and source materials but also leeway for teachers to use their own materials or lessons. In fact I would say that contrary to the oft used argument of it's decided by education boards and such majority of the influence for curriculums comes from teachers and boards and principles.
The state department of education sets statewide standards and individual districts write the curriculum that applies to those standards.

Opt outs exist to accommodate things like freedom of religion. I.e. parents can opt their kid out of something like evolution lectures in biology. While they can do that, the teacher is still going to present the scientific facts about evolution in class that day. The bio teacher is under no obligation to deviate from their curriculum because it offends a person’s faith.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
:lol: Champion of liberal values has now receded to "get with the system or get out". Also, is the right to protest suddenly now not civil and democratic? It's also very problematic the way you think here. What you think you should be able to do is not how a modern fair society works.

In a successful multicultural society, you respect every ethnicity and religious belief. Schooling is a mandatory thing and it's not a place to dive into potential your personal hot takes on what you think is the best way to teach, without taking into consideration your audience.

You can do it and marginalize further an already marginalized minority but then don't complain why they aren't "like us".

As I said earlier, there are countless university courses and subjects that students can sign up for that are all full of these cartoons and no one cares. That is different that shoving offense material into a students face in school where they have no choice.
Actually under the Co-vid 19 restrictions during lockdown i'm not sure what the right to protest is. Otherwise it would be fine in normal times.

Roane

Yeah the right to opt out would seem essential.
I'm not sure what opt out achieves in many cases. I'm of the opinion that certain factors play a key role that maybe do away with the necessity to opt out.

For example I know muslims who send their kids to Catholic schools because the schools have higher achievement rates. They then go in and see the head about participation in assembly and worship. I don't think it's unreasonable for a head to say we are a Catholic school and this is a core value, so no opt out.

Similarly a secular school doesn't need to incorporate worship into assembly at all. If they do and say no opt out then they are wrong. But overall the school should be told no worship.

Now we have issues such as some Muslim parents not wanting kids participating in music. Here if it's a school in Birmingham with a high Muslim intake then surely rather than doing music and having opt out why not look at what it is about music that is the issue and act accordingly? If the issue is no string instruments then why insist on violins, use drums.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
I can see @Carolina Red 's point of view, and it's perfectly reasonable. I still think that on this occasion, in that school, with that particular material - the teacher's actions were very ill-judged.
Indeed, everything comes down to the audience type.

Roane

The state department of education sets statewide standards and individual districts write the curriculum that applies to those standards.

Opt outs exist to accommodate things like freedom of religion. I.e. parents can opt their kid out of something like evolution lectures in biology. While they can do that, the teacher is still going to present the scientific facts about evolution in class that day. The bio teacher is under no obligation to deviate from their curriculum because it offends a person’s faith.
Thanks for taking the time to explain.

See for me the opt out for evolution in biology is nuts. I don't see how it would offend a person's faith if it is something that is delivered for what it is.

In your phse type lessons I can see why certain issues maybe a problem. But again for me it's how you deal with them. Surely the idea of education is to not exclude, so you try and find ways around tackling subjects without causing offence.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member

See for me the opt out for evolution in biology is nuts. I don't see how it would offend a person's faith if it is something that is delivered for what it is.

In your phse type lessons I can see why certain issues maybe a problem. But again for me it's how you deal with them. Surely the idea of education is to not exclude, so you try and find ways around tackling subjects without causing offence.
You might interested in this...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selman_v._Cobb_County_School_District

This is very recent history over here when the pendulum had swung a bit in the opposite direction. Not exactly an apples for apples comparison, but similar in many aspects.

Roane

Indeed, everything comes down to the audience type.
Also I would venture that sometimes it isn't the audience but the teacher. Something that doesn't get as much attention in these situations.

In my two years of working in a secondary school it was obvious that some teachers were on a "crusade" rather than educators.

Carolina Red

Staff

Well, that’s why the opt out exists. Because it’s purely up to the individual as to what offends them.

For evangelical Christians, evolution is viewed as anti-god propaganda being pushed by evil atheists that want to destroy the Christian religion. They take the story of Creation literally and see any deviation from that as blasphemous.

Roane

Well, that’s why the opt out exists. Because it’s purely up to the individual as to what offends them.

For evangelical Christians, evolution is viewed as anti-god propaganda being pushed by evil atheists that want to destroy the Christian religion. They take the story of Creation literally and see any deviation from that as blasphemous.
I think the issue is that my views are shaped by how "we do things here" and a lack of understanding in how you guys do things over there. Not just how you do things but the barriers you face.

With the greatest of respect, reading that link you sent, I think the issues affecting you guys are more than just whether to opt or or not to opt out.

manc exile

Supports
City

it really shouldnt be

Carolina Red

Staff
I think the issue is that my views are shaped by how "we do things here" and a lack of understanding in how you guys do things over there. Not just how you do things but the barriers you face.

With the greatest of respect, reading that link you sent, I think the issues affecting you guys are more than just whether to opt or or not to opt out.
I can’t remember if I posted this to you or not, but the first parent complaint I ever had was an evangelical parent claiming I was trying to indoctrinate their child to become a Muslim... because I assigned them to watch a National Geographic video on the Hajj.

Roane

I can’t remember if I posted this to you or not, but the first parent complaint I ever had was an evangelical parent claiming I was trying to indoctrinate their child to become a Muslim... because I assigned them to watch a National Geographic video on the Hajj.
No that's the first time I'm hearing this.

Just wow

Roane

it really shouldnt be
To a degree it has to be.

As a teacher with a room full of 30 kids there are many factors that come into play where adjustments are and have to be made.

I used to have a class where one kid shouldnt have been at the school as he had learning difficulties. The father himself had the same issue when in school and had gone to a special school. He wanted his kid to go to a regular school as he had faced bullying himself and didn't want his child to go through the same issues.

It may sound unfair that 1 child out of 30 meant I had to make adjustments to how I delivered certain topics but not doing so meant he would become disruptive, which he did out of frustration when not grasping something.

Yeah I think he should have gone to a special school and yeah I could have basically ignored him as to be honest he wasn't going to achieve high grades. But my attitude was to work with what was in front of me and make the best of a situation with minimum disruption.

Kids are no different to any other sphere of life. Some need an arm around nthe shoulder some need a stern word. Part of the role of teacher is to recognize that and adjust accordingly.

In my opinion anyway

manc exile

Supports
City
To a degree it has to be.

As a teacher with a room full of 30 kids there are many factors that come into play where adjustments are and have to be made.

I used to have a class where one kid shouldnt have been at the school as he had learning difficulties. The father himself had the same issue when in school and had gone to a special school. He wanted his kid to go to a regular school as he had faced bullying himself and didn't want his child to go through the same issues.

It may sound unfair that 1 child out of 30 meant I had to make adjustments to how I delivered certain topics but not doing so meant he would become disruptive, which he did out of frustration when not grasping something.

Yeah I think he should have gone to a special school and yeah I could have basically ignored him as to be honest he wasn't going to achieve high grades. But my attitude was to work with what was in front of me and make the best of a situation with minimum disruption.

Kids are no different to any other sphere of life. Some need an arm around nthe shoulder some need a stern word. Part of the role of teacher is to recognize that and adjust accordingly.

In my opinion anyway

but thats not community standards is it?
thats a pupil with learning difficulties and that should always taken into account.

community standards are things like faith, belief system etc of the parents of the pupils and its those things that should not be taken into account

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
thats a pupil with learning difficulties and that should always taken into account.

community standards are things like faith, belief system etc of the parents of the pupils and its those things that should not be taken into account
It will always be taken into account. Even history and literature is not without bias.

manc exile

Supports
City
It will always be taken into account. Even history and literature is not without bias.
history and literature as you say are not without bias, but why should that mean you should take local community standards into account when deciding what to teach?

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
I'm not sure what opt out achieves in many cases. I'm of the opinion that certain factors play a key role that maybe do away with the necessity to opt out.

For example I know muslims who send their kids to Catholic schools because the schools have higher achievement rates. They then go in and see the head about participation in assembly and worship. I don't think it's unreasonable for a head to say we are a Catholic school and this is a core value, so no opt out.

Similarly a secular school doesn't need to incorporate worship into assembly at all. If they do and say no opt out then they are wrong. But overall the school should be told no worship.

Now we have issues such as some Muslim parents not wanting kids participating in music. Here if it's a school in Birmingham with a high Muslim intake then surely rather than doing music and having opt out why not look at what it is about music that is the issue and act accordingly? If the issue is no string instruments then why insist on violins, use drums.
Kids aren't educated to suit their parents personal desires and opinions, they're educated to enable them to fit into society and become productive citizens of such. Curriculums should be standard and obligatory. If we're excluding subjects that offend people, then I have a whole list of things that I want excluded, including any form of religious service.

Roane

That's one kid with a certain background. So why not do it if lots if kids have a certain background?

This isn't to confuse with not broaching a subject.

Let's take another example that was real a few years back. Teaching interview technique and shaking hands. Muslim women didn't so we adjusted the lesson. Still taught them the skills.

For me as a teacher many factors would need to be included. So if I had just one Muslim kid in the class and I was teaching blasphemy I would certainly not broach the topic with Muhammad cartoons. I would feel it would be uncomfortable for the one kid and unfair.

Similarly if I had a majority muslims in the class, opt out wouldnbe pointless, unless my aim was to just do it and only a small percentage benefited from the topic.

I don't mean you here, but in discussions like this people don't really consider the intricacies involved. There is a an almost bigotted we know best approach, which teaching isn't the forum for.

Roane

Kids aren't educated to suit their parents personal desires and opinions, they're educated to enable them to fit into society and become productive citizens of such. Curriculums should be standard and obligatory. If we're excluding subjects that offend people, then I have a whole list of things that I want excluded, including any form of religious service.
The whole point of the post you responded to was that if you send your kids to a religious school then expect religion to be taught. If you don't want that then send them to a non religious one.

If at a secular school then the school hasn't the right to push religious practise onto the pupil.

Curriculums are not standard and don't need to be. A Catholic school having their curriculum based on the ethos of catholicism is absolutely within their rights. Parents choice is not in changing the curriculum.

Becoming productive citizens is a whole other discussion.

Roane

history and literature as you say are not without bias, but why should that mean you should take local community standards into account when deciding what to teach?
It's always been one of the basis for education. A school is a sub section of the community it is based in.

Carolina Red

Staff
It's always been one of the basis for education. A school is a sub section of the community it is based in.
At the same time, I’ve taught a course on the Civil War in a school that was 95+% white rural southern conservative. How should I “tailor” my characterizations of the Confederacy for that majority demographic?

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
At the same time, I’ve taught a course on the Civil War in a school that was 95+% white rural southern conservative. How should I “tailor” my characterizations of the Confederacy for that majority demographic?
Stick to the facts and have a neutral approach should work?

Carolina Red

Staff
Stick to the facts and have a neutral approach should work?
And when that offends them because they’ve grown up in rural South Carolina conservative culture that teaches that the war was about states’ rights, that the Union were the bad guys, that slavery actually helped black people, and that the Klan is a misunderstood christian organization, then what?

Should I just not teach the course? Since telling the truth about it is definitely, and I mean 100% definitely, going to offend some folks in there...

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
The whole point of the post you responded to was that if you send your kids to a religious school then expect religion to be taught. If you don't want that then send them to a non religious one.

If at a secular school then the school hasn't the right to push religious practise onto the pupil.

Curriculums are not standard and don't need to be. A Catholic school having their curriculum based on the ethos of catholicism is absolutely within their rights. Parents choice is not in changing the curriculum.

Becoming productive citizens is a whole other discussion.
Religious schools are a blight on society. Education should not consist of splintering the population into groups. Schools should be one place where kids get taught things regardless of their parents own opinions and ideologies.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
And when that offends them because they’ve grown up in rural South Carolina conservatives culture that teaches that the war was about states’ rights, that the Union were the bad guys, that slavery actually helped black people, and that the Klan is a misunderstood christian organization, then what?

Should I just not teach the course? Since telling the truth about it is definitely, and I mean 100% definitely, going to offend some folks in there...
Your posts are interesting and I have 2 questions

1) How do your colleagues teach Civil war there?
2) If you tell the/your truth, what happens to you?

Roane

I think we established earlier that America, and may I suggest particularly the South where I understand you are, and we here in England have different "ideas" about education.

The education system here has core fundamental directives from govt down. So for example the every child matters had an impetus for community partnership working. This was built on by the children's plan. Community involvement and cohesion are key elements of how education is to be taken forward.

Over the years these type of initiatives have seen changes in how certain subjects have been delivered and the changes. A good example would be history and specifically crusades.

In the 80's a kid was thrown out of a class because he was "disruptive". His disruption was to query what the teacher was saying about Richard the lionheart and evil Saladin as well as other bits.

Crusades are still taught but they are more factual now and not biased. Or certainly less so.

This may not answer your question but as I said earlier you seem to have bigger problems over there

Roane

Religious schools are a blight on society. Education should not consist of splintering the population into groups. Schools should be one place where kids get taught things regardless of their parents own opinions and ideologies.
Religious schools are amongst the top performing schools in the country.

Education is about preparing kids not just to be economical productive but assets in their communities. Their communities are dictated by the religions and otherwise of the people around them.

A dictatorial approach benefits no one. Schools exist in a social context and this has to be taken into account