Pros and cons of keeping Jose as our manager.

p2pZeus

Pros:
  • Proven winner, especially in cups. He may fare longer in the CL this year
  • Stable as in he won't collapse like Moyes or LVG, he will probably secure top4 every year
  • May be easier to sign other star-players especially spanish/portugese speaking ones
  • Higher success ratio is player signings

Cons:
  • Pragmatic (coward) football, this may prove to be effective in the CL
  • Team full of tall thugs instead of flair footballers
  • Defensive-focused football
  • Focuses too much on preventing opposition players instead of endorsing and promoting our own players qualities.
  • Arrogant, classless, negative person
  • Just doesnt trust in academy players
  • Lives in a hotel, this may send out negative signals to players that the manager is just here as stop-gap.

ash_86

Let's wait until season finishes and make an assessment. You really can't tell anything from this position. We may go on an unexpected run in CL and on a good run in the league or go out of all the cups pretty soon and fight for top 4.

Too soon for this kind of reaction.
Yes, Cant sack a manager when we're 3'rd. End of season if he dosen't get CL , he'll walk.

pseudo_canadian

Christ alive, are people seriously thinking he should be sacked? Who the hell would we realistically replace him with? Our manager is Jose Mourinho, not David fecking Moyes or someone else of that quality.

United has too many shitty entitled fans. Back the manager for fecks sake. Pathetic.

Jaybomb

At what point do you begin to question him?
When I feel he is underperforming with a good squad.

I don’t think this squad is good enough. I don’t think this squad is underperforming. I genuinely just don’t believe they can do any better.

Fluctuation0161

Im getting sick of these threads now. I find it hard to blame Jose for our defeats and poor performances. The last 3 games are totally down to very poor finishing, lack of quality and commitment. I think the majority of the blame has to go to the players who are just not performing. Countless mistakes and poor decision making have cost us.
I back Jose but feel his public criticism of players is having a negative effect on player confidence which then impacts on player mistakes and decision making.

I’m glad he didn’t blame the players today. He needs to rebuild their confidence.

Talyaani

Pros

Has one year of his contract left

Cons

Anti football
Toxic
Destroyer of young talents
Bad PR for the club worldwide

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Christ alive, are people seriously thinking he should be sacked? Who the hell would we realistically replace him with?

United has too many shitty entitled fans. Back the manager for fecks sake. Pathetic.
There are plenty of people thinking that he should go. Whether they're right or wrong is another matter. Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

I don't want him to go as @Jaybomb said: if he's underperforming with a good squad then you have ask questions. The only thing I'd say is that this squad should be making top 4 especially from our position only from few games ago. If we don't make top 4 and Jose is sacked I won't feel like he's been hard done by.

Reiver

I've been a staunch supporter of Mourinho and still am to a certain extent. That being said, recent results and performances have had me thinking about his successor more often.
I still think he should have the rest of this season. However, if we can identify a suitable long term replacement, then I'm coming round to the idea of going for them. I have no idea who that is though. More importantly, I also have no confidence that our board can identify them.

YouOnlyLiveTwice

The atmosphere around United is just depressing atm, players must surely be affected by it themselves.

I fear the morale is so low that the results will continue like today, unless we shake it up with a few players or a new manager.

Our attack is devoid of creativity. We do the same over and over again.

Sacking a manager in his 2nd season while being 3rd in the table seems insane, at least for Utd, but it’s more about how we seem to be deteriorating.

Hopefully it’s just a bump in the road.

Pyroblazer

That's a hot jacket, man
What's the point in a young modern manager when if he is 3rd at Christmas fans just want him sacked ?
It's way to easy to just say we are third. For example if we would have been 5th ot 6th a month ago and would be improving now, playing some good stuff, things would sound completely different. But we are getting worse despite not beeing great at all in the beginning. We had not only 3 underwhelming managers now, but also 3 who play a negative brand of football, if the fourth guy after Fergie plays positive football and still struggles, I am sure it will be already an improvement. Also we shouldn't forget Jose was always seen as shot-term-fix, he was seen as the fastest route to success and he is not delivering on that front at all. I never saw him as someone who builds towards something within 4,5 years, he never did that in his career, so why expect it now? Another manager who proved that he can do it will get different expectations from me. With Jose it was always clear for me, if we are shit in his second year, we are not going anywhere with him, because the third season with him has never improved things in the past and rather made thing worse and toxic.

iamherenow

It is not his grumpiness or anything of that sort. We have seen our attacking players do not know what to do when they have the ball. Surely they need to be told what to do and where to move and how to create space? Seems nothing of that sort is done. Every time our players get the ball, they put their head down and run till they lose the ball.
So basically he has to baby cuddle them and show them every step,cant they think for themselves for even once and stop making rubbish decisions on the pitch especially mickitaryan

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Pro: I get to ignore tons of moaners on the caf.
Con: I have to ignore tons of moaners on the caf.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Pros:
Good looking
Speaks better English than Vangle (or Fergie to be fair)
Proven winner for what it’s worth

Cons:
Bad loser
Seems like a different person since his chelsea disaster

In the end it’s not the coach per se. What good is sacking him and let someone else try to rebuild from scratch. It’s been tried three times now, the problem os much bigger than just the coach.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Also one of the cons has to be that Jose will not change his ways. He's either to egotistical or too stuck in his way to bring someone in who can actually coach some attacking ability into our team.

SAF brought in Carlos Queiroz to help us in Europe. And it did help us - massively. Spalletti had this to say about us:

Luciano Spalletti claims Manchester United are so effective because “they are the most Italian team I know!”

The 2-0 home defeat has made it extremely difficult for Roma to reach the Champions League semi-final after goals by Cristiano Ronaldo and Wayne Rooney largely against the run of play.

“If you look at the result they are certainly of a different class, but if you watch the game then that is not the case,” said Spalletti.

“The only thing I really didn’t like was the way we conceded the second goal and after that the lads lost faith in their own abilities and chances of turning this around.

“In my view, we played the way we had to. We certainly deserved more, especially in the opening 20 minutes of the second half.

“We had some great chances with Christian Panucci and Mirko Vucinic, yet when the cross came in for United they made the most of it. I believe the result is very harsh on Roma.”

It was a tactical masterclass from Sir Alex Ferguson, but Spalletti insists the Premiership leaders are the antithesis of a typical British team.

“It is United’s work rate and willingness of every player to sacrifice themselves for the defensive movement that makes the difference. They maintain a balance between coming back to defend and leaving space to run forward without getting tired.

“They have great stamina and individual talent, although I must point out tonight they were rather fortunate. The talent is there, but so is the luck!

“I said in the Press Conference yesterday that people always maintain Italian clubs play defensive and on the counter, so in that case Manchester United are the most Italian team I know!

“I’ve seen at least 10 of their games and they always play like this. They sit back, soak up pressure, clam up in midfield – which unfortunately we allowed them to do and play between the lines – and then break forward on the counter.

“We played our game and did what we had do, although obviously the team got depressed when United scored with their first foray into the penalty area.

“We were unlucky on a few occasions and consequently must accept the situation and try to turn it around.”

The 2-0 home defeat in the first leg is a damning result, especially as last season Roma lost 7-1 at Old Trafford.

“Admittedly it’s very difficult, but we must not make the mistake of assuming we are already out. After all, we have scored two goals in places like Lyon and Madrid,” noted Spalletti.

“When United took the lead we tried to push 10 metres further forward and we did put them under pressure, but couldn’t take our chances.

“I was very unhappy with the last 10 minutes, when we were very disconnected and sent out the wrong message. I never want to see that approach again.”

Francesco Totti was out with a thigh strain and is also in doubt for the second leg in just over a week, while Simone Perrotta will return from suspension.

“Francesco felt better today and the sensations 24 hours after the scan are more positive. We have to let time pass and evaluate what happens. We would obviously be happy to have him back for the second leg.”

Does this result mean the Giallorossi will turn their focus exclusively to the Scudetto race and Coppa Italia?

“Nothing changes, as until we are mathematically eliminated then my team has a duty to keep chasing Inter and United.

“We will try to win every game, although it is not easy. After all, we should have beaten Cagliari last Saturday and didn’t take our chances – as we saw tonight, that really makes a difference.”

Devil may care

Pros:
Stability of a sort I guess, although nothing with him is truly stable due to his nature.

Cons:
Unwatchable, shite football.
Cowardly and negative tactics agaisnt any good side.
No attacking strucutre or plan.
Archaic ideas about players.
Growing our rep as the most negative top side in world football, we are becoming a punchline as the boring side and I think it will effect our recruitment of the best attackers.

Stacks

Pros:
  • We're really not doing too badly if you look at the table.
  • He has improved us by getting us into a Champions League and out of the group stage. He's a good cup manager and we shouldn't write him off, even if the league is over.
  • He's the only manager to have won a trophy with United in the first season. He deserves time and support for that.
  • He has a good track record in signing players.
  • He stopped Pep's Barca. Maybe he can do it with United and stop Pep's City.
  • Who else is out there? He's probably our best chance of winning the league and other trophies.
We don't have a Ronaldo to score 46 league goals, in order to compete with Messi's match winning ability.
Cons:
  • His brand of football is piss!!
  • Players look demotivated and it looks like it could be Jose's third season syndrome starting early.
  • He's a miserable feck which no doubt spreads through the club.
  • He'll probably not even be here much longer.

Anyway, just some of the thoughts I have about Mourinho. At the minute I think it would be wise to just let him sort it out. Maybe, it's not even thread worthy, but if you have anything to add to that please do.

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Don't think Jose is getting sacked anytime soon as I think he'll find a way to get us in the top 4 and have a decent cup/CL run.

But if he is to go ( and since people are throwing names of potential replacements in this thread), I don't think there's any out and out proven manager available who has a better track record than Jose. But Laurent Blanc is one name that comes to mind. He won the league with Bordeaux showing decent tactical acumen. He's won it with PSG and hence has some experience working with big name players. He's a respected name in European football that shouldn't have problems attracting big names and already has a connection with our club.

He seems to be a fairly astute student of the game as well as a calm personality. He's still fairly young in managerial terms and could be in here for the long haul. If Jose does indeed go I think Blanc should be one of the realistic options we should go for.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Pros:

- He does usually end up winning something even if it is a crappy cup
- He never usually manages longer than 2-3 years
- Better option than Anchelotti whom some see fit to replace him

Cons:

- He is temperamental at best - often outright miserable
- More boring shit football that opposes everything we ever stood for
- We continue the slide we are on until we find ourselves outside the top 4
- Our young stars Rashford and Martial continue their backward progression
- More cowardly tactics in big games
- No attacking system whatsoever
- More questionable transfers
- More delusional post-match interviews making us a laughing stock

gulli_G

He has a bunch of headless chickens, that LVG had to control like schoolboys, we need to be realistic, our squad is punching above their weight, you can only make so much of a pigs ear.

A few top class players and 2 world class ones have not changed that.

RedB4ndiT

Christ alive, are people seriously thinking he should be sacked? Who the hell would we realistically replace him with?
Off the top of my head, I can name two coaches with MODERN football systems who are available -- Tuchel and Sarri.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
I fear that whoever is United manager for the next few years is destined to live in the shade of Pep. I suspect that, psychologically, Jose will be unable to cope with that. Which in one way makes him the best man for the job, but in another way, highly likely to implode. I think we'll start to see the season 3 mania pretty soon now.

Okey

If you could get Pochettino in tomorrow, how many of you would want Jose sacked today?
Me for one! I've been pining for Poch for a while now. Jose looks spent. Not sure there' much point in him hanging around. If there's no future with him, why not start building a future now?

The Purley King

Don’t mind if Jose goes tbh.
It’s all gone a bit lvg. Boring football but you put up with it if the results keep rolling in.
If the results start going south then you wonder what the point is.........,

T A

Pros: His name
Cons: Ancelotti is now available

Andersons Dietician

If you could get Pochettino in tomorrow, how many of you would want Jose sacked today?
I mean I’d say yes, but I’d rather that sort of thing was done at the end of the season as it could cause more disruption currently than benefit.

As for the main question I mean I don’t see any pros at all.

Giggs86

Off the top of my head, I can name two coaches with MODERN football systems who are available -- Tuchel and Sarri.
Who?

We're Manchester United, not Crystal Palace. We can't hire unproven third tier managers to run one of the biggest clubs in the world.

Giggs86

That would be a disaster. Pochettino is right at his level now - Spurs. I hope the people who run the club have learnt their lesson after Moyes to not hire managers whose only achievements and credentials are manager of the month awards.

Merlin 1975-78

Im incined too agree with you here because I would have exactly the same fears myself as he still hasn't won a trophy with, Spurs & whilst I think he is slightly better than, Moyes, I would still be concerned that he could take us backwards if he ever get's the big job at our place & I would just have too hope & prey that he would have it in his capability too prove me wrong, but somhow I doubt it sadly!

Will Singh

Pros: We will always be up there every season

Cons: Mourinho won’t take us to the next level with he’s out of date dare I say it “philosophy”

JMack1234

Pros:
  • Proven winner already won two trophies
  • Has improved the team
  • No obvious replacement for him
  • Still conducting a re-building job
  • Walked into a club in trouble unlike Pep who had a club preparing for his arrival for years
  • Has bought some good players
  • Is the only manager out there that's managed to beat a brilliant Pep side in the league.
Cons
  • Looks absolutely miserable here
  • Plays horrible football in big matches
  • Has he made any of our players better?
  • Looks like he's lost something. Maybe Real? Maybe Chelsea? Probably both make him look like a bitter man.
  • I'm increasingly worried he's a yesterdays man
  • Typically the whole lot comes crashing down in the third season and there are some worrying signs of this already.

Last edited:

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I'm kinda at the point where it's a wait and see thing. I always liked him. Don't think he's entirely suited to us these days nor do I think he's quite as good as he was. Think Pep Guardiola being better then him and constantly doing better kills him on the inside and he can't quite handle that. Also not sure he's suited to being the big club who should be the favourite for trophies. The biggest teams with near unlimited spending power all build teams to dominate. Mourinho is more like Simeone who can build a side to contain those and possibly dethrone the big boys as an underdog through organization and consistency, but the problem there is when you are at a club like ours, the players don't want to play that way as they'll believe they should look to just outplay the opposition. And that leads to issues.

Nucks

RT History Department
People who want Mourinho out, should kindly go back to supporting Liverpool or Man City and stop pretending to be United fans.

Z2United

Supports
Team Zlatan
I'm kinda at the point where it's a wait and see thing. I always liked him. Don't think he's entirely suited to us these days nor do I think he's quite as good as he was. Think Pep Guardiola being better then him and constantly doing better kills him on the inside and he can't quite handle that. Also not sure he's suited to being the big club who should be the favourite for trophies. The biggest teams with near unlimited spending power all build teams to dominate. Mourinho is more like Simeone who can build a side to contain those and possibly dethrone the big boys as an underdog through organization and consistency, but the problem there is when you are at a club like ours, the players don't want to play that way as they'll believe they should look to just outplay the opposition. And that leads to issues.

well put, agree.

History shows us that given time he will deliver the trophies - that's the main pro! However, his methods are the downside. We knew what he was before he joined and at the time people seemed happy to accept his brand of football if he made us competative again.

United need to keep someone for 5 years to sort the squad out, mou will do this. It's a shame he is personally a bit unstable!

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
5 years ago they say moyes will be a great Manchester united manager because with his work ethic, an eye for talent and ability to punch above his weight on a shoestring budget. If he can do it with everton imagine what he's can do with united resources.

Sounds familiar? Replace moyes with klopp/pochetinno/jardim/avb/tuchel/etc.

Antonedwin

If the board are willing to keep him he would be here regardless of the results

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Mourinho has been able to play good football successfully with several teams. I don't buy this "he has been found out" crap.

Someone quoted from Twitter got it spot on when he said watching us play was like seeing parts of three different jigsaws. Can't see the benefit in starting a fourth.

Foxbatt

Normally his teams are very football savvy. This team is very naive in everything they do. Either the coaching has been terrible or the players are terrible. I cannot see even SAF accepting the way we play now. I mean most of the time our forwards just run and run till they lose possession. Almost every time without lifting their heads or passing the ball. Everyone of them today. Rashford, Lingaard, Mikhi, Martial.