Protest at Old Trafford

0le

The argument is still ‘sell to anyone even though we have no idea if anyone wants to buy or what the intentions are of those who might’

Until that issue is addressed then it’s always going to be fatal to the long term success and sustainability of any protest. In 2006, 2011 and today. Its the huge elephant in the room too many get angry and defensive when you point it out
It is a good point but it is not an elephant in the room. It is regularly discussed on the forums and people generally want fan ownership.

R'hllor

Guess Sky is losing money in some way, also they wouldnt like to see copy paste with other fanbases, bet they wouldnt mind seeing OT burning if protest was vs ESL two weeks ago.

Also, those claiming this was riot, you have no idea what riot is or how it looks like for real.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
Probably has a raging producer in his ear that their precious product has been disturbed
From a producer's point of view things were getting out of hand. Filling dead air was turning into a rabble rousing call to arms by Carragher, Neville and Keane. Sky managers wouldn't want to be responsible for that. But that ship sailed anyway.

The sensible argument that most believe in is are the police are a flawed institution. They need to be re-structured and divert funding to more applicable uses.
Those are the demands of the Defund movement.

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves
I was extremely worried at the start. I felt the level of protest could easily have impacted on those to be held in the future - club able to impose restrictions now as to “protect their assets”. This another one swept under the carpet.

but really glad it seem all went brilliant and without too much bother. Even Carragher on our side.

fair fecks to all involved.

Nik70

Do you have any idea about how India got its freedom or is Gandhi the only name you know about and you parroted it off?
Yes of course and in many ways it's absurd to compare this protest to more widespread civil injustice, authoritarian rule, colonialism etc etc. I've made the comparison because others in the thread have done so. Are you expecting the whole of England to revolt and throw the Glazers out? Not going to happen and I'm sure you don't believe that. Are you then naive enough to think that the violence of a few idiots is going to do anything to solve this problem?

VivaObertan

Transfer Voyeur
I was extremely worried at the start. I felt the level of protest could easily have impacted on those to be held in the future - club able to impose restrictions now as to “protect their assets”. This another one swept under the carpet.

but really glad it seem all went brilliant and without too much bother. Even Carragher on our side.

fair fecks to all involved.
Me too! So proud of the fans today!

AndyMUFC

Are we sure this is footage from today?

I've seen no mention of it on Sky and both Gary and Carragher said from what they saw the protest was peaceful.

Surely, they would have mentioned this?

I'm not convinced either.

Sky would've been showing this over and over again.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I wonder will they try and get it played at a neutral ground tomorrow?
Tomorrow looks the best shout.
Neutral sounds a wise idea. They should announce it as tomorrow, but not let it slip that it's being held elsewhere.

It's inevitable the same lot will all turn up tomorrow, wasting more police resources.

Delano

Thing is, a lot this wider anger was whipped up knowingly by Sky two weeks ago.

Honestly, I don't agree with the morons who have been throwing stuff, but the sentiment for being there is the same Sky have been hyping up for weeks and that sentiment is valid.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Thing is, a lot this wider anger was whipped up knowingly by Sky two weeks ago.

Honestly, I don't agree with the morons who have been throwing stuff, but the sentiment for being there is the same Sky have been hyping up for weeks and that sentiment is valid.
Talksport coming out with the old not true United fans.

diarm

30 minutes ago outside the Lowry.

Sky Sports had a reporter standing reporting from the front steps of the Lowry 45 minutes ago who said all fans had dispersed and there was no protest at the hotel anymore. Also said it had been relatively quiet there all afternoon after the early protestors had moved on towards the stadium. He's just been interviewed there again.

MU655

???? That's not what happened. There was a peaceful protest, and a single entity did something stupid.

I saw someone throw a bottle during the World Cup when I was in Russia, maybe England Dan's should stop attacking people and just watch football?

No, it's a minority. Focus on the point.
What about the harassing/intimidating people in their cars? About twenty to thirty must have been involved there. Surrounding cars and shouting at people, climbing on them, and some hitting/kicking the vehicles. I know people will say 'oh, they didn't mean any harm' or 'they were just having a laugh';, but I guarantee your perspective would change if it was you in the car. How do you know what a big group of people around your car will do? It is threatening behaviour.

Also, why do people always treat the firing of flares and fireworks so lightly. They can cause horrific injuries if they hit someone. The fact that people are willing to fire them off in public places puts people at risk. There were several fired through the protest. I will never condone their use.

So, it wasn't just one person. There were quite a lot of trouble makers there. And yes, the organisers do take some responsibility for this type of behaviour. When you set up something like this, you know there is a big chance that stuff like this can happen. Let's put things into perspective: is the risk of violence worth protesting what is a game? The answer to me is no.

Jack_Daniels

I really liked a segment of todays studio broadcast on norwegian TV2 where Simen Møller talked about the reasons for doing this. He even mentioned the term sportwashing, clearly referring to Manchester City, the Glazer ownership (vacuming money out of the club), Kroenke doing the same etc and even went on an said that the amount of money fans pay for this product is beyond belief. He even lashed out on his own employer TV2 for charging norwegian people about £60 pr month for a subscribtion. And we can't even watch two games at same kick off time for that amount of money. TV2 get to decide which game you get to watch.

Good lad.

NK86

As an Indian I'm sick and tired of hearing this nonsense that somehow we magically got our independence non violently. FOR CHANGING ANY STATUS QUO, YOU NEED FORCEFUL ACTION.

No India didn't get independence non-violently, nothing major gets done that way. I'm not in any way condoning major violence, but you can't just sit around and expect change to occur.
Anyone who has any clue about the history of India's freedom would never ever say we got it through non-violence of Gandhi. Anyway, will leave it at that instead of derailing the thread.

Violence cannot be condoned, especially if it's against innocent folks. However, forceful action is needed anywhere you need to make a change. The powers at the helm are always too strong to be affected otherwise.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
So they still have to transport the players back to the now safe empty stadium to fetch their cars.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
30 minutes ago outside the Lowry.

This whole “we’ll decide when you play” thing is quite ominous to be honest.

They’re footballers not our “slaves” to entertain us as and when we please.

It’s got nothing to do with the coaching staff, the kit man, the manager or the players, these guys are innocent bystanders in all this.

It has got nothing to do with them.

eire-red

Reminds me of the scene from Galdiator when the senator says that the mob rules Rome.

The message is pretty simple and powerful. They've postponed this game, what's stopping them do it again?

Of course some people have gone too far, but that's the nature of almost all protests. The underlying message is clear.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
I was convinced that the Father Ted award for finest sign of the day award had been sewn up by the "Joes Glazer Stinks of Piss" effort, but then someone rocks up with this masterpiece:

Has Tom Brady ever nutmegged Figo?

Didn't think so.

Withnail

Sky Sports had a reporter standing reporting from the front steps of the Lowry 45 minutes ago who said all fans had dispersed and there was no protest at the hotel anymore. Also said it had been relatively quiet there all afternoon after the early protestors had moved on towards the stadium. He's just been interviewed there again.
@Tom Van Persie isn't in favour of the protests and is an untrustworthy source if you ask me.

RUCK4444

Well done Jamie Carragher, putting rivalry aside and speaking sense.
Absolutely. You watch every paper twist this into ‘fan hooliganism’ like Carragher is eluding to.

It’s for reasons like this that fans end up going overboard like storming the stadium today.

How do you get your voice heard and grab the attention of the leaches? You have to make statement. Unfortunately idiots are everywhere and there was no need to throw flares and bottles.

However blame the cause of it, the glazers and Sky who are all too willing to whip the fans into a frenzy over the last two weeks.

USM

???? That's not what happened. There was a peaceful protest, and a single entity did something stupid.

I saw someone throw a bottle during the World Cup when I was in Russia, maybe England Dan's should stop attacking people and just watch football?

No, it's a minority. Focus on the point.
then you aren’t seeing the same video we have over here where there’s bottles everywhere and they’ve got all sorts of people causing issues against police in the name of “protest”. They’ve overshadowed any chance of this gaining backing of anyone outside of United because overall they look like a pack of raging thugs. Who would want to transfer here in the short after watching a segment of the fans causing these issues?

Not sure the images and video you’ve seen but it’s been way more than a couple isolated people.

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
This is one of the biggest games in world football and a huge talking point, europa isnt. And this includes Liverpool. It was the perfect game to do it
Yes, and no doubt made easier by the fact that the result doesn’t overly matter in terms of the league like it does for Liverpool. If you genuinely believe the protests would have happened if you were 1st, or 5th, then I disagree. That said, i totally agree with the principle behind it. My expectation, although I seem to be in a minority, is that you’ll have to forfeit the match given that other teams have so much to play for. I might be totally wrong though.

VivaObertan

Transfer Voyeur
What about the harassing/intimidating people in their cars? About twenty to thirty must have been involved there. Surrounding cars and shouting at people, climbing on them, and some hitting/kicking the vehicles. I know people will say 'oh, they didn't mean any harm' or 'they were just having a laugh';, but I guarantee your perspective would change if it was you in the car. How do you know what a big group of people around your car will do? It is threatening behaviour.

Also, why do people always treat the firing of flares and fireworks so lightly. They can cause horrific injuries if they hit someone. The fact that people are willing to fire them off in public places puts people at risk. There were several fired through the protest. I will never condone their use.

So, it wasn't just one person. There were quite a lot of trouble makers there. And yes, the organisers do take some responsibility for this type of behaviour. When you set up something like this, you know there is a big chance that stuff like this can happen. Let's put things into perspective: is the risk of violence worth protesting what is a game? The answer to me is no.
Football is a large part of society so it becomes more than "just a game" to a lot of people, and what's happening right now shows a lot of parallels to the way these same fans are being ostracised in their regular lives by the rich.

Nobody shot anyone, A FEW people did some dumb shit, but whatever.

TheReligion

Abusive
There's still issues in the area. Merseyside police are there to assist with it. Infact you could even see them getting kitted up in the background during a report by the stadium 5 minutes ago.