Protest at Old Trafford

Matt Varnish

Fair play to the fans that stayed behind but let's be honest, it won't make a jot of difference.

The only way to REALLY make an impact is to get games called off, really start to hurt the business model of the club. Sadly it needs to get worse before it gets better. I don't think it will ever happen though as I don't think enough fans can be convinced to do the level of direct action that is required.
If you get games called off, there are going to be an awful lot of fans that will be pissed off, you tend to forget that these fans represent less than a quarter of the crowd, you will need riot police if a game gets called off, especially if away fans have travelled hundreds of miles to see a game

Red00012

I’m only looking at this now and to be honest it’s fairly impressive the amount of people that did stay around. It’s a lot more impactful than a march from a pub to the North Stand . And both Sky Sports and BBC both mentioned it . Let’s see what the next step is. Well done all.

MancunianAngels

Supports
FC United
My issue with the protests are they still need to address what happens next and how we promote/criticise that.

Now I don't care that "they just want the Glazers Out". What happens after they leave is extremely important for so many reasons.

If they are pro Jassim/Qatar, the 1958 need to own up and be public about that. If they receive crictism, tough. A level of honesty and not hiding behind the full sale only message is important.

Matt Varnish

My Dad always used to say "Be careful for what you wish for"

I'm not sure if I'm in favour of either of the so-called "Bids"
The son of a former Prime Minister of a country that has a questionable human right record ranging from imprisonment for same-sex couples, or complete lack of female rights, where women are treated as second class citizens.
Or
The CEO of a company that can't really afford to buy United and only wants to, to try and clean up its own image, whilst keeping the Glazers onboard.

My fear is that too many United supporters want the Sheik onboard for his bottomless pit of money, yet still cry foul at City and Chelsea for spending like there is no tomorrow.

Maticmaker

My Dad always used to say "Be careful for what you wish for"
Smart guy your dad. I Always gave the same advice to my kids!

Apart from 'Pigs flying' what would happen if United repeated their treble winning feat of 1999/20 still under Glazer ownership (fairly soon I mean!)

Yakuza_devils

My fear is that too many United supporters want the Sheik onboard for his bottomless pit of money, yet still cry foul at City and Chelsea for spending like there is no tomorrow.
This myth need to die. Many fans already explained it before. We need new owner to clear our debts, invest in the infrastructure and establish a football structure. Glazers don't have/unwilling to put money into the club that badly need to improve.

We don't need to spend crazy money like Chelsea or do dodgy deals like City. Man Utd revenues are real and we have more than enough if the revenues are channeled back to the clubs rather than paying Glazers debts and filling up their pockets.

We are also in dire need of upgrading the infrastructure especially the youth set up. Our academy used to be one of the best in the world. Nowadays, we can only sell our academy player max 2M while City just sold their for more than 40M. The stadium also need upgrading.

We also need a new owner who is willing to make real change to the football structure. Not replace Ed with his pals Arnold and Murtough.

In short, we need to change owners not because of we need bottomless pit of money. Glazers have proven time and time again that they are dragging us down. To them it's all about money.

We need new owners and I couldn't care less if it's Qatar or Jim. It's not about bottomless pit of money, it's about stopping the thief Glazers from stealing from us.

glasgow 21

This myth need to die. Many fans already explained it before. We need new owner to clear our debts, invest in the infrastructure and establish a football structure. Glazers don't have/unwilling to put money into the club that badly need to improve.

We don't need to spend crazy money like Chelsea or do dodgy deals like City. Man Utd revenues are real and we have more than enough if the revenues are channeled back to the clubs rather than paying Glazers debts and filling up their pockets.

We are also in dire need of upgrading the infrastructure especially the youth set up. Our academy used to be one of the best in the world. Nowadays, we can only sell our academy player max 2M while City just sold their for more than 40M. The stadium also need upgrading.

We also need a new owner who is willing to make real change to the football structure. Not replace Ed with his pals Arnold and Murtough.

In short, we need to change owners not because of we need bottomless pit of money. Glazers have proven time and time again that they are dragging us down. To them it's all about money.

We need new owners and I couldn't care less if it's Qatar or Jim. It's not about bottomless pit of money, it's about stopping the thief Glazers from stealing from us.
Correct, We need to get into the business of Football excellence and not using United for personal wealth gain.
Creating a team that can genuinely win trophies is the ONLY valuable content that engages the fans and which builds relationships with them and in that new owners will be better able to monetize the United brand for the club gains and values.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
This is not about flashy new signings...

I did laugh at that. That's why most of their followers are practically begging for Qatari state ownership so we can make flashy signings and "win" the transfer window (whatever that means).
No they aren't - you just made this up

Interesting that you ignored the post a few above which explains in details why this myth linking a Sheikh Jassim bid with signings is total bollocks for the majority of protesters

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
I don't fully agree with the premise of this protest as I think the club have worked well with the fans in recent years to try and improve the atmosphere at Old Trafford (safe standing, singing section, TRA etc)

But just making matchgoers aware anyway

Demon Barber

I don't fully agree with the premise of this protest as I think the club have worked well with the fans in recent years to try and improve the atmosphere at Old Trafford (safe standing, singing section, TRA etc)

"Systematic sanitation?" Does that even make sense? Whatever, it's a strange message.

The protests that have already happened have been largely pointless, other than making the protesters (myself included) feel good about themselves.

Giving up STs in 2005 and forming FCUM? Fair enough, but those tickets sold out anyway.

Green and yellow protest? The club cashed in with their own merchandise.

A march to OT? Getting a game postponed? Putting up an anti-Glazer banner that stewards confiscate? Not entering the ground until a certain minute after the KO, or staying behind for a short while? I hate to be a killjoy, but it makes no difference whatsoever. The smug leeches still get their coin. They know how we feel, and do not give a shit.

There endeth my depressive Friday rant.

RedRocket9908

Protests like this wont achieve anything especially at a non-televised match that the Glazers probably wont see anyway.

If the 1958 want to do a protest than will gain attention for the cause and force the Glazers to at least respond then they need to carryout an on the pitch protest at a televised match.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
"Systematic sanitation?" Does that even make sense? Whatever, it's a strange message.

The protests that have already happened have been largely pointless, other than making the protesters (myself included) feel good about themselves.

Giving up STs in 2005 and forming FCUM? Fair enough, but those tickets sold out anyway.

Green and yellow protest? The club cashed in with their own merchandise.

A march to OT? Getting a game postponed? Putting up an anti-Glazer banner that stewards confiscate? Not entering the ground until a certain minute after the KO, or staying behind for a short while? I hate to be a killjoy, but it makes no difference whatsoever. The smug leeches still get their coin. They know how we feel, and do not give a shit.

There endeth my depressive Friday rant.
If we are talking about getting the Glazers out, then I have said for a long time that the fans don't have much power to do anything about that - we are just at the mercy of billionaires buying and selling shares

Still I believe protests are worthwhile just to send a message to the club plus things like prematch marches create good atmosphere and fan unity so always worth joining just for that

Also it's absolutely not true that protests make no difference

Obviously the major ESL protests resulted in a game being called off and a major U-turn on those plans

Now we now have a Fan Advisory Board which has already resulted in improvements with ticketing policy, better atmosphere within Old Trafford etc - this is a vast improvement on the situation of the past when there was little to no dialogue between fan groups and the club

Demon Barber

If we are talking about getting the Glazers out, then I have said for a long time that the fans don't have much power to do anything about that - we are just at the mercy of billionaires buying and selling shares

Still I believe protests are worthwhile just to send a message to the club plus things like prematch marches create good atmosphere and fan unity so always worth joining just for that

Also it's absolutely not true that protests make no difference

Obviously the major ESL protests resulted in a game being called off and a major U-turn on those plans

Now we now have a Fan Advisory Board which has already resulted in improvements with ticketing policy, better atmosphere within Old Trafford etc - this is a vast improvement on the situation of the past when there was little to no dialogue between fan groups and the club
Fair points. I still stand by what I typed though.