Protest at Old Trafford

R77

Pretty well all major North American sports teams get significant concessions and incentives for stadium builds from municipal governments. It's nothing new. The rest of your post is probably quite accurate, though.
Well yeah, it's enabled behaviour. The article linked earlier was fairly spot on in that regard tbf. Still seems all kinds of wrong, to me.

Spoony

The People's President
Pretty well all major North American sports teams get significant concessions and incentives for stadium builds.
It's amazing how American fans can deal with their teams upping sticks and moving town, yet on this side of the pond it'd be the end of the line for 99% of fans. I know you're a moose-lover, Doc,but surely you've got a better idea of their psyche than fans in the better part of the world - here. Imagine the uproar if United moved to Birmingham *shudder*.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Don't think that article will amount to much. Its got little traction on the their official Tampa news twitter account.

Honestly don't think the American sports fans give a flying f*ck about the Glazers handling of United.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Well yeah, it's enabled behaviour. The article linked earlier was fairly spot on in that regard tbf. Still seems all kinds of wrong, to me.
It's a bit sketchy but the stadiums have other general uses as well. Plus I suppose the build has positive impacts on the local economy etc. Still sketchy, though.

It's amazing how American fans can deal with their teams upping sticks and moving town, yet on this side of the pond it'd be the end of the line for 99% of fans. I know you're a moose-lover, Doc,but surely you've got a better idea of their psyche than fans in the better part of the world - here. Imagine the uproar if United moved to Birmingham *shudder*.
A lot of the reaction depends on the team and the circumstances. There'll be a lot of uproar when it's seen as unnecessary and the NHLs Quebec Nordiques is a good example here. They were building a good team, were well supported but in a small market, with a strong competitor a few miles down the road. It was also not somehwere that top players were keen on going, not least due to the language barrier. They were moved to Denver to become the Avalanche and became a championship winning team. That hurt a lot of fans and Canadians. The Nordiques had a decently long and sotried history, even if they were mostly crap.

The NBAs Vancouver Grizzlies are a different example, a poorly thought out franchise opportunity that was bleeding cash. No one outside of Vancouver really cared that the team moved, and most people there didn't care either. Memphis is a better market for them and they are doing better there. The lack of any history in Vancouver probably helped make that move easier to swallow.

Teams like the NFLs Raiders and Rams seem to always move. It's kind of amusing, the Raiders especially. I don't even know if they are in Oakland or LA these days.

And then you have the NHLs Winnipeg Jets, who were moved to Phoenix in 1997 but the fans worked to bring a team back and managed to uproot one from Atlanta in 2013. Crazy stuff.

English football has a much longer history and moving a team would generate much more upset because of that. That's absent from much of North American sport, except for a few hockey teams. Fans here often change their allegience based on a teams results or to follow a particular player. When I was a kid I used to change which hockey teams I followed because I liked the goalie.

I don't know if any of that makes sense or is helpful.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
People who keep saying those of us who want the Glazers out aren't thinking about who comes after them, seem to be harbouring this opinion that for all us chest beating neanderthals this is some personal vendetta against the Glazers.

This is a protest against anyone who would come in and treat the club as the Glazers do. It's becoming very apparent that for one group of fans, being the richest club in the world and maintaining our ability to sign big sponsorship deals sits at the top of their list of priorities. For another group, being the richest club in the world isn't such a priority - we just want our football club to be a football club again.

It isn't our job to provide a list of suitable owners. It's our job to tell the owners we have what we want, and if they refuse to listen to us, to protest against them.
Thats great and all, and I don't want to appear as though I'm on a different side to you, but for me it's not enough. You're right that it isn't our job to provide suitable alternatives, but those alternatives are still going to affect this football club, and by extension all of us, so it's really important otherwise there is no victory here and we don't gain anything.

You have to take into consideration that a 'win' here could very easily ultimately become a loss. I wish that wasn't the case but it is

diarm

Thats great and all, and I don't want to appear as though I'm on a different side to you, but for me it's not enough. You're right that it isn't our job to provide suitable alternatives, but those alternatives are still going to affect this football club, and by extension all of us, so it's really important otherwise there is no victory here and we don't gain anything.

You have to take into consideration that a 'win' here could very easily ultimately become a loss. I wish that wasn't the case but it is
But we can't control what might be. We can only try to impact on what is now.

You can't not protest things that are wrong now, because there of a hypothetical bigger wrong that might or might not happen in the future. We can simply stand up and show our current and any potential future owners that we will not tolerate what is happening now.

alexthelion

You can't not protest things that are wrong now, because there of a hypothetical bigger wrong that might or might not happen in the future. We can simply stand up and show our current and any potential future owners that we will not tolerate what is happening now.
Of course you have to take into account any consequences of your actions.

Spoony

The People's President
It's a bit sketchy but the stadiums have other general uses as well. Plus I suppose the build has positive impacts on the local economy etc. Still sketchy, though.

A lot of the reaction depends on the team and the circumstances. There'll be a lot of uproar when it's seen as unnecessary and the NHLs Quebec Nordiques is a good example here. They were building a good team, were well supported but in a small market, with a strong competitor a few miles down the road. It was also not somehwere that top players were keen on going, not least due to the language barrier. They were moved to Denver to become the Avalanche and became a championship winning team. That hurt a lot of fans and Canadians. The Nordiques had a decently long and sotried history, even if they were mostly crap.

The NBAs Vancouver Grizzlies are a different example, a poorly thought out franchise opportunity that was bleeding cash. No one outside of Vancouver really cared that the team moved, and most people there didn't care either. Memphis is a better market for them and they are doing better there. The lack of any history in Vancouver probably helped make that move easier to swallow.

Teams like the NFLs Raiders and Rams seem to always move. It's kind of amusing, the Raiders especially. I don't even know if they are in Oakland or LA these days.

And then you have the NHLs Winnipeg Jets, who were moved to Phoenix in 1997 but the fans worked to bring a team back and managed to uproot one from Atlanta in 2013. Crazy stuff.

English football has a much longer history and moving a team would generate much more upset because of that. That's absent from much of North American sport, except for a few hockey teams. Fans here often change their allegience based on a teams results or to follow a particular player. When I was a kid I used to change which hockey teams I followed because I liked the goalie.

I don't know if any of that makes sense or is helpful.

Doc, that's fantastic. The Raiders are a funny one indeed, I decided to follow them because they were the first team I watched play, well the other team was Dallas Cowboys and they were too popular. Anyway, I kept looking out for their results for years but eventually stopped, what shocked me after decade later was when I found out they had become Oakland (again) ...and it didn't bother fans. I think they've moved to Las Vegas now and again fans seem accepting. Okay I get it they're The Raiders and it's just a franchise. The huge difference is that we're not simply United, the Manchester part is key. The club is intrinsically linked to Manchester...as you said it's a long history. I suspect the Glazers don't understand or are ignorant of what clubs mean to fans and local areas. I think they wouldn't have had the same resentment Stateside even of they owned a big franchise. And that's a part of the issue.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins

I have nothing against the protests at all. If I could have been there I would have been there.

Yes I am concerned about the chances that the next owners will be the same or worse. I'm very concerned, but my main issue is around the fans who are advocating damaging the club to get them out. Trying to negatively impact the clubs revenue to reach this goal will not have the outcome that anybody wants, and as I've said in another post it's not out of the question that 5 years after the Glazers have gone we'll wish we still had them. The best and safest outcome for me is simply that the Glazers become better owners.

diarm

I have nothing against the protests at all. If I could have been there I would have been there.

Yes I am concerned about the chances that the next owners will be the same or worse. I'm very concerned, but my main issue is around the fans who are advocating damaging the club to get them out. Trying to negatively impact the clubs revenue to reach this goal will not have the outcome that anybody wants, and as I've said in another post it's not out of the question that 5 years after the Glazers have gone we'll wish we still had them. The best and safest outcome for me is simply that the Glazers become better owners.
It depends on where your priorities lie.

I am less concerned with how valuable and profitable the business is. I just want a football club I feel a part of and can be proud of again.

Hester_manc

I fear that Schmeichel is right in one big thing in the interview: Glazers are not actively putting Manchester United up for sale. No matter what. It is simply too good business for them to own the club. Even if we had to protest so much that we would be excluded from the CL due to point reduction, the club would still be good business.

A buyer must actively come in and contact Glazers.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
It depends on where your priorities lie.

I am less concerned with how valuable and profitable the business is. I just want a football club I feel a part of and can be proud of again.
Amen.

DarkDog

Let's try this again ... So your solution is to turn the demonstration violent? Against who pray tell? As violence implies there's a victim involved. Is it against staff? They're not the Glazers; The Police? They're not the Glazers either! So tell me how it makes an iota of sense for the crowd to be violent toward innocent people who left their families for work while the Glazers are sitting cozy in their penthouses.
Read my post again, what was violent about that protest? Idk where u are from or why are u even here, but u dont have a clue what is or was going on. There wasn't violence until police showed up. There was plenty of evidence police beating supporters. People who got into OT were old people with grandkids, schoolkids, people with their girlfriends. Don't spread knowledge here if u don't pay attention.
But as Rio, Keane and Gary said. WE HAVE ALREADY TRIED SILENT PROTEST, that is what they want. they dont give a f about silent protest. When did u start watching United? We had the best academy, sorry but OT is sacred to me. United revenue has been 6 Billion since Glazers took over. Of that 6 billion 1 billion has went to new players, 2 billion has gone to Glazers themselves (of that 2 billion 900 m to interest payments) and only a whopping 100 mil to fix OT (20 mil 2020 summer to paint over cracks). Have u been to OT? to other top stadiums? Notice any difference? They dont even care about OT, they dont care about our players, our coaches, our staff. Newsflash, only thing they care about is taking money out of our club.
U have to get people notice us because sitting silently outside OT wont help. Did you know that more people watched that protest than football on sunday? Every news station was covering it. Rio said yesterday that he is side to side with the fans. Gary protected people who went to OT, Keane said if he knows anything about Man United fans is that this is just the start. What do you think those 20 000 fans at Stretford End would say? who is right, you, or the legends of our club and legends at the stadium on Sunday

alexthelion

Read my post again, what was violent about that protest? Idk where u are from or why are u even here, but u dont have a clue what is or was going on. There wasn't violence until police showed up. There was plenty of evidence police beating supporters. People who got into OT were old people with grandkids, schoolkids, people with their girlfriends. Don't spread knowledge here if u don't pay attention.
But as Rio, Keane and Gary said. WE HAVE ALREADY TRIED SILENT PROTEST, that is what they want. they dont give a f about silent protest. When did u start watching United? We had the best academy, sorry but OT is sacred to me. United revenue has been 6 Billion since Glazers took over. Of that 6 billion 1 billion has went to new players, 2 billion has gone to Glazers themselves (of that 2 billion 900 m to interest payments) and only a whopping 100 mil to fix OT (20 mil 2020 summer to paint over cracks). Have u been to OT? to other top stadiums? Notice any difference? They dont even care about OT, they dont care about our players, our coaches, our staff. Newsflash, only thing they care about is taking money out of our club.
U have to get people notice us because sitting silently outside OT wont help. Did you know that more people watched that protest than football on sunday? Every news station was covering it. Rio said yesterday that he is side to side with the fans. Gary protected people who went to OT, Keane said if he knows anything about Man United fans is that this is just the start. What do you think those 20 000 fans at Stretford End would say? who is right, you, or the legends of our club and legends at the stadium on Sunday
So it's all the police's fault.

I'm sure the copper who got glassed did it to himself, the cops were throwing bottles at each other and it was obviously plain clothes police who kicked the door in and were pissing about on the pitch. None of it was the goody goody protesters, oh no, butter wouldn't melt in their mouths.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
"Is the customer always right Mr. glazer"- ouch :lol:
Fantastic quote.

Need more of this.

For 16 years they've had an easy ride. Anytime they didn't want to deal with us they just escaped to America.

Glad the press is now putting pressure on them out there. They won't like it up 'em. That's for sure.

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
Great job from the reporter. Nice to see them getting that kind of pressure from the press

I’m not sure I’ve ever heard them speak before

Wayne's World

Anyone who says it's a disgrace what we did on Sunday just remember this man's actions and City making a CL final.......

Absolute prick of a man, spineless coward

Bosws87

How can you be that rich and have that haircut, humans never cease to amaze me.

R77

He's like a composite of rejected Star Wars prequel creature designs. Shame the tweet was deleted, almost a fascinating watch.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
Simon Jordan talks shite but he's right about Neville. I don't believe for a second he would be going in on the Glazers like he's done over the past few weeks if Nicky Butt was promoted to technical director instead of Fletcher. I said this to my old man about Scholes too when he was ranting about them on BT last week. It seems like the class of 92 have found their voices on the Glazers now they have no close friends left at the club.

RUCK4444

It saddens me that I’m siding with carragher over schmeichel when it comes to united matters.
That says more about schmeichel than me though.
Obviously a United legend but always strikes me as a right odd ball does Pete.

Carragher has been spot on with this since throughout.

UnitedFan93

Why would anyone want to give their hard earned money to that thing? Avram Glazer clearly has zero respect for the club and its fans.