Protest at Old Trafford

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
Schmeichel is just full of shit. What other option do fans have besides disrupting their income? Disrupting games and being seen etc.

The only thing he has a point about is that it’s hard to see why the Glazers would sell. They’re making a lot of money from us, so why would they care?

Red_toad

Yeah, those are the largely the same points made in the sections on the website I quoted from. My point is that they're not the same as the demands on display in the protests, which is "Glazers out". Also, they make no mention of preventing games from taking place.
Ah so you want everyone who protests have the same directives. Good luck with that as no one can help you with that. Maybe attend the next one and ask around.

justsomebloke

Ah so you want everyone who protests have the same directives. Good luck with that as no one can help you with that. Maybe attend the next one and ask around.
If there's no coordination or overall direction, or at the very least some agreement on basic aims and methods, there's not really much point to it?

Roboc7

We need a solution in which everybody wins. A scorched earth policy will never work, everyone starves.

Andy Burnham/ Boris Johnson and Manchester City Council should help to develop a ‘New’ Trafford. City got a stadium from the council. Manchester United is a world renowned name and synonymous with Manchester. For United to loose prestige Manchester loses as well. Let’s prove that Britain and Manchester can solve problems post pandemic and Brexit and deliver major infrastructure projects. Using Northern Powerhouse, Brexit Infrastructure, Covid regeneration, lottery money, world cup bidding money etc., It is currently the best ever political time.

A larger stadium with hospitality, conference, hotel, community features and possible housing all based on eco-friendly design would generate significant income for the Glazers and prestige for Manchester/ Britain. Glazers would have to give meaningful board representation to community and fans as a cost of such support. There could be no better time to achieve such a dream

It would mean that all parties would have to work together and some sacred cows would have to be slaughtered. Example, working with Glazers, naming rights of the stadium, moving the stadium away from its current location. Community use of the stadium and training facilities would also add to its attraction.

I am not underestimating the problems or political implications from this, but let’s prove that Britain and Manchester is open for business and has a ‘can do’ mentality. Abroad Manchester is Manchester United whatever detractors might say and a successful united Manchester is best for all Mancunians and Britain.

What is the alternative, get the owners out, then what? Nobody can give a solution which offers guaranteed success or longevity for our great club. This I believe offers the best chance, division will never work.
What’s the alternative longevity the Glazers offer, what success do they guarantee?. If fans don’t express themselves what incentive do the owners have to compete for trophies or invest in the stadium and the training ground?.

owlo

We need a solution in which everybody wins. A scorched earth policy will never work, everyone starves.

Andy Burnham/ Boris Johnson and Manchester City Council should help to develop a ‘New’ Trafford. City got a stadium from the council. Manchester United is a world renowned name and synonymous with Manchester. For United to loose prestige Manchester loses as well. Let’s prove that Britain and Manchester can solve problems post pandemic and Brexit and deliver major infrastructure projects. Using Northern Powerhouse, Brexit Infrastructure, Covid regeneration, lottery money, world cup bidding money etc., It is currently the best ever political time.

A larger stadium with hospitality, conference, hotel, community features and possible housing all based on eco-friendly design would generate significant income for the Glazers and prestige for Manchester/ Britain. Glazers would have to give meaningful board representation to community and fans as a cost of such support. There could be no better time to achieve such a dream

It would mean that all parties would have to work together and some sacred cows would have to be slaughtered. Example, working with Glazers, naming rights of the stadium, moving the stadium away from its current location. Community use of the stadium and training facilities would also add to its attraction.

I am not underestimating the problems or political implications from this, but let’s prove that Britain and Manchester is open for business and has a ‘can do’ mentality. Abroad Manchester is Manchester United whatever detractors might say and a successful united Manchester is best for all Mancunians and Britain.

What is the alternative, get the owners out, then what? Nobody can give a solution which offers guaranteed success or longevity for our great club. This I believe offers the best chance, division will never work.
Perhaps read up on what the City owners invested into the city as part of those deals as opposed to blithely suggesting we spunk a billion of public funds on enriching a rich corporation. I feel it's offensive you can even suggest this happens.

justsomebloke

What’s the alternative longevity the Glazers offer, what success do they guarantee?. If fans don’t express themselves what incentive do the owners have to compete for trophies or invest in the stadium and the training ground?.
Right on. But then there needs to be some idea about what the owners are expected to do. Something reasonably clear and achievable, that people can rally around. "Glazers out" is great as a starting rallying point, but it's probably not something than can be achieved, or that would necessarily solve the problem even if it was.

Personally, I like "no dividends until the club has won the PL", combined with a commitment to invest in OT and Carrington, and with some sort of fan representation. That'd establish a workable settlement to me: The owners can take out profits, as long as the team wins.

Red_toad

If there's no coordination or overall direction, or at the very least some agreement on basic aims and methods, there's not really much point to it?
MUST are coordinating their members. That does not mean that everyone attends is there on the MUST's agenda. I'm not sure where you get that everyone who attends a demonstration should be following a certain individual directive? There is no statement that only MUST members attend, it's open to all fans of every club. They will all have differing ambitions.
Of course there is a point, if you don't get it, then that's your issue. MUST are doing their bit and have made their requests to the owners. They have not stated the Glazers must sell as a current objective, fans who have such signs are simply making their own demands.

steffyr2

I'm curious how easy it would be to move the games to somewhere besides Old Trafford. Like Wembley. Or Tampa.

Just say it's not safe for the players.

Manny

Grammar Police

Jesus

justsomebloke

MUST are coordinating their members. That does not mean that everyone attends is there on the MUST's agenda. I'm not sure where you get that everyone who attends a demonstration should be following a certain individual directive? There is no statement that only MUST members attend, it's open to all fans of every club. They will all have differing ambitions.
Of course there is a point, if you don't get it, then that's your issue. MUST are doing their bit and have made their requests to the owners. They have not stated the Glazers must sell as a current objective, fans who have such signs are simply making their own demands.
Sorry, you're not getting the point. I'm not particularly concerned with MUST, you're the one who brought them into it. What I am pointing out is that while the starting point for such actions is often a highly diverse collection of different groups and individuals who coalesce around a shared sentiment but differ on most other things, civic activism generally doesn't work unless someone succeeds in uniting these disparate elements around at least some commonly accepted aims and agreed methods.

Hence, if the anti-Glazer protests continue on this basis, they will essentially be a waste of everyone's time, and damage the club for no useful purpose. Anger isn't enough. A willingness to get out there isn't enough. You can't support something that heads off in 15 different directions at once. You can't achieve something if you don't know what you want to achieve. If there is to be any point to this, someone has to gather the threads. Whether its MUST or someone else.

Sparky Rhiwabon

Let this old man share his wisdom:

The purpose of the protest at first was to show the discontent of fans regarding the Glazer's carelessness of our team. They haven't been able to ignore it and gave promise that they would fulfill certain things. Why shall we not wait a bit to see if they would keep their promise first? What's the point of making the Liverpool clash postponed even more?

Not to mention this is the season in which we have come the closest to winning the actual Premier League. We should not waste this opportunity.
Some wisdom on show there

PeterWunited

Firstly let me say I am not a Glazer fan and would prefer some other solution but they seem thin on the ground.
It was my way of suggesting that with a new stadium it is something we can all unite around. It would come with conditions, maybe investment in the squad. There are greater minds than mine who could put together a package from which everyone benefits. Who is going to buy United, spend £500M on the squad and £1B on a stadium. It is fanciful to think it will happen. As I said I do not underestimate the political ramifications but it would put Manchester for ever at the centre of the football world and you cannot put a price on that for jobs and investment into the city as a result.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Let this old man share his wisdom:

The purpose of the protest at first was to show the discontent of fans regarding the Glazer's carelessness of our team. They haven't been able to ignore it and gave promise that they would fulfill certain things. Why shall we not wait a bit to see if they would keep their promise first? What's the point of making the Liverpool clash postponed even more?

Not to mention this is the season in which we have come the closest to winning the actual Premier League. We should not waste this opportunity.
I feel the same way. The bit that concerns me is this part of our fanbase that are now on a bit of a crusade. We have little trust in the Glazers and rightfully so, but they have communicated and now its time to see what happens. Woe betide them if they don't follow through but they should be given the chance to.

meamth

Would be foolish to think that the barriers will be unattended by police or securities or crowd controllers.

Barricade is one thing, of course there will be guards.

Red_toad

Sorry, you're not getting the point. I'm not particularly concerned with MUST, you're the one who brought them into it. What I am pointing out is that while the starting point for such actions is often a highly diverse collection of different groups and individuals who coalesce around a shared sentiment but differ on most other things, civic activism generally doesn't work unless someone succeeds in uniting these disparate elements around at least some commonly accepted aims and agreed methods.

Hence, if the anti-Glazer protests continue on this basis, they will essentially be a waste of everyone's time, and damage the club for no useful purpose. Anger isn't enough. A willingness to get out there isn't enough. You can't support something that heads off in 15 different directions at once. You can't achieve something if you don't know what you want to achieve. If there is to be any point to this, someone has to gather the threads. Whether its MUST or someone else.
MUST are organising the demonstrations, they have made their demands to the owners. Regardless of others that turn up or what those individuals want. MUST have their agenda and will continue to pursue it, there is no 15 directions coming from them. Not sure why you're focusing on people who aren't organising for themselves and who simply join in?

Hester_manc

Schmeichel is just full of shit. What other option do fans have besides disrupting their income? Disrupting games and being seen etc.

The only thing he has a point about is that it’s hard to see why the Glazers would sell. They’re making a lot of money from us, so why would they care?
- Dont buy merchandies
- Do not show up at games, when that is possible again
- Green and gold
- Boycott sponsors
- Complaints to sponsors

Dve

If there isn’t a financial hit how are you expecting owners who don’t give a shit about fans and have zero interest in any form of engagement with them to go from that to having fans on the board?.

They don’t care about fans, players, staff, winning trophies, all they care about is money that’s only way get their attention.
Still, they need fans, staff, players (and preferably trophies) to make money, don´t they.

Dve

- Dont buy merchandies
- Green and gold
- Boycott sponsors
- Complaints to sponsors
And the next day discuss who we need to sign this summer?

I get the feeling a lot these days, that the left half of the brain does not not know what the right half is doing.

Last edited:

justsomebloke

MUST are organising the demonstrations, they have made their demands to the owners. Regardless of others that turn up or what those individuals want. MUST have their agenda and will continue to pursue it, there is no 15 directions coming from them. Not sure why you're focusing on people who aren't organising for themselves and who simply join in?
Well, I guess because pretty much all of the media attention is on the fans demanding the Glazers pack up and leave, and those preventing games from taking place, so that in practice it is their demands, and not MUSTs somewhat unexciting line, that actually defines the protest?

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
This is the most organised United have been in their defence since Ferguson left. Or even before.

Shows you where the priorities of the owners lie.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
- Dont buy merchandies
- Green and gold
- Boycott sponsors
- Complaints to sponsors
So yeah, disrupting their income. Thanks for backing me up chief. Just one of many ways.

copen1945

The protests are already fizzling out. I guess the Americans and their unvarnished greed will remain in charge instead of the Saudis.

Colin Clarke

Was there any protest at last night's game? If not, why not? This can't be a every now and again theme. If United fans really want the Glaser family out then they have to protest at EVERY home game. Already you can see the media and spin doctors trying to change the conversation away from the owners to transfers and speculation.

stw2022

Disrupt club income then become outraged at every transfer story that suggests a big name signing might not arrive. Postpone games then claim FA conspiracy when we end up with fixture congestion.

Anyone who points out the obvious flaws in that logic are just Glazer stooges

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Disrupt club income then become outraged at every transfer story that suggests a big name signing might not arrive. Postpone games then claim FA conspiracy when we end up with fixture congestion.
Many fans are willing to take a hit or two for the cause.

Whether you agree with them or not is another matter, but to portray them all as hypocrites is unfair.

Flying high

Many fans are willing to take a hit or two for the cause.

Whether you agree with them or not is another matter, but to portray them all as hypocrites is unfair.
I'm getting quite sick of all the edgy cnuts proudly coming out with these stupid 'gotcha' arguments.

None of us know how this will all turn out. IF it turns out we cost the club money. And IF that means the club decide to spend less money on players then that's still a decision which is on the Glazers. They have taken a fortune out of the club, and cost us a ridiculous amount to finance THEIR DEBT. If they still won't put any of their own money in, then it simply highlights what most of us already know: They have to go.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
I'm getting quite sick of all the edgy cnuts proudly coming out with these stupid 'gotcha' arguments.
Yes, I know what you mean.

This started with the ESL announcement - let's not forget that. The resentment towards the Glazers is obviously much older - but what's happening now was lit by the super league bollocks. That was the final straw for many. And for many United fans it isn't really about transfer budgets and trophies - it's about something much more fundamental.

To ignore that, and discredit a part of our so-called fan base by suggesting they're just throwing their toys out the pram (or worse, suggesting they're just thugs looking for a bit of action), is disgraceful.

stw2022

Oh Super League my foot.

Is that why everyone wants owners like City’s who... signed them to the Super League?

Fans are understandably against the owners but a vocal minority support a scorched Earth policy and regardless it doesn’t mean people aren’t entitled to point out hypocrisy or illogical arguments