Protest at Old Trafford

Tapori

I can't agree with the above. Given it's a global sport and given that there are that many viewers/fans around the world, I just find it hard to believe that there will be enough of a boycott by the fans to dissuade/impact the glazers from a financial viewpoint (I'm speaking from a global view point, there may be more than enough local boycotts but the from a global perspective I have my doubts).

I don't think that a "fan's boycotting" movement should be relied upon, I struggle to see this working on a large enough scale to impact the Glazers
The problem the glazers have is that global audiences drive commercial aspects that feed into their valuation of the club.
Commercial sponsorship can and is affected by anything that gets press attached to said sponsorship.

The fans on Sunday - as Liverpool's watch sponsor showed with the ESL earlier- can affect coverage of pictures streamed around the world.
A gesture yes but a gesture with reverberations nonetheless.
Disruption doesn't necessarily have to mean anymore concrete mass action en-mass in unison at one time.
The aim is to show live and affect coverage which affects commercial image.

the_answer

Their pockets? How so?
Can only post 3 times day, so sorry for late reply. :)

We make United less appealing for sponsors and strongly decrease the brand value of the club for the Glazers.
If we can continue with the protests the Glazers will understand that this club will be worth less with them as owners (compared to the value for "good owners") which is an incentive for them to sell.

Basically we are implanting a "poison pill" for current ownership that can be removed by a "proper buyer".

Slysi17

The Glazers are dreaming. Not a fecking chance the clubs value goes to 7 billion as I can't see us winning a premier league or champions league under the Glazers. Would be better to sell the club now.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
Police blaming United fans for Sunday getting out of hand isn’t entirely correct. They were charging the fans and getting batons out first. The retaliation from United fans was not right though and the situation the police was in must’ve been scary - they were backed into a corner in their normal uniform getting bottles thrown at them. It’s entirely on GMP though for poor organisation and poor decision making when deciding to charge the fans. The police injuries, and obviously fan injuries, are on them.

Shamwow

listens to shit music & watches Mrs Brown's Boys
Police once again showing themselves to be the most organised set of thugs in the country. And nothing will be done because they are all bastards who will protect each other to the nth.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
I know it's likely to make very little difference but am going to either e-mail or leave a message on the Facebook of all our main sponsors asking them if they really want their brand to be associated with a club who doesn't care about it's fans
They're not stupid. They're using actual data, statistic on how many eyes watched united. Your email wont make a difference.

If enough people stopped watching that it's reflected in the tv rating then they'll start to notice.

Let's be fair. So many of us hated the glazer yet most of us still watch united one way or the other.
Can only post 3 times day, so sorry for late reply. :)

We make United less appealing for sponsors and strongly decrease the brand value of the club for the Glazers.
If we can continue with the protests the Glazers will understand that this club will be worth less with them as owners (compared to the value for "good owners") which is an incentive for them to sell.

Basically we are implanting a "poison pill" for current ownership that can be removed by a "proper buyer".
I hate to break it to you. But we have quadruple in value since they took over.

You know including the time where green and gold campagin is at its peak, including fcuom, etc.

So no. It took more than a simple protest to put a dent on the global brand.

Realist81

Police once again showing themselves to be the most organised set of thugs in the country. And nothing will be done because they are all bastards who will protect each other to the nth.
Aye, I got into an argument with a cop acquaintance yesterday after I shared the full video of the guy being dragged, punched and then told to stop resisting.

Apparently we have to give the cops every single benefit of the doubt as we don't know all the circumstances and even then we should trust the police and that if we don't give them 100% support then we should never call on them. She didn't like being told that all the context was there, turned out she hadn't even watched the video I posted and had only seem little clips flying around, and that I don't bother calling the police anymore as they'll do everything they can to avoid taking on a case that they can't solve easily. She even tried the 'there may be some bad apples but the rest are good' and again didn't like me completing the phrase adn pointing that a if there's 1 bad cop and 9 other cops turn a blind eye or provide cover then there's actually 10 bad cops.

Passitlikescholes

The problem the glazers have is that global audiences drive commercial aspects that feed into their valuation of the club.
Commercial sponsorship can and is affected by anything that gets press attached to said sponsorship.

The fans on Sunday - as Liverpool's watch sponsor showed with the ESL earlier- can affect coverage of pictures streamed around the world.
Disruption doesn't necessarily have to mean anymore concrete mass action en-mass in unison at one time.
I get that but the problem is, is that the glazers just ride it out until the dust settles a bit and then they've got their commercial deals again.

The one factor we've got going against us, is that we're addicted to United and want to watch the side play.

I guess maybe we could unite to boycott any brand who sponsors the club? That way we'll drive the sponsors away until the glazers sell.

Shamwow

listens to shit music & watches Mrs Brown's Boys
Aye, I got into an argument with a cop acquaintance yesterday after I shared the full video of the guy being dragged, punched and then told to stop resisting.

Apparently we have to give the cops every single benefit of the doubt as we don't know all the circumstances and even then we should trust the police and that if we don't give them 100% support then we should never call on them. She didn't like being told that all the context was there, turned out she hadn't even watched the video I posted and had only seem little clips flying around, and that I don't bother calling the police anymore as they'll do everything they can to avoid taking on a case that they can't solve easily. She even tried the 'there may be some bad apples but the rest are good' and again didn't like me completing the phrase adn pointing that a if there's 1 bad cop and 9 other cops turn a blind eye or provide cover then there's actually 10 bad cops.
Too many of them love a scrap, the police are always escalating and making things worse.

UncleBob

It's a shithole watch company that people have barely heard of.

Hester_manc

6 officers were injured during the demonstrations. 1 of them was close to losing sight. I think the demonstration was in place, but these incidents are really ruining the message. That's why I'm always careful about supporting demonstrations. Because even though I love the principle and theory of a demonstration, there will often be some idiots who see it as an opportunity for violence.

Realist81

Too many of them love a scrap, the police are always escalating and making things worse.
Yep, I've been on a few protests and when it's kicked off it's happened as a result of the police antagonising the crowd either by kettling, grabbing random people or getting heavy with their batons causing a reaction justifying further escalation. The problem is that the mainstream press rarely report the police instigation and instead blame it all on the protesters meaning some people are less likely to protest in the future as they uncritically swallow the police version of events and don't want to be associated with 'the bad people'. Orgreave and Hillsborough should show how daft it is to trust the police version of events.

I should stop now as this isn't really the place for discussion on police tactics in the UK.

Tapori

It's a shithole watch company that people have barely heard of.
That is no way to speak about Liverpool. :lol:
But even if that is the case, the point remains.
Sponsors derive value via PR.
If you affect PR you affect sponsorship which affects value of our club to the Glazers.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
6 officers were injured during the demonstrations. 1 of them was close to losing sight. I think the demonstration was in place, but these incidents are really ruining the message. That's why I'm always careful about supporting demonstrations. Because even though I love the principle and theory of a demonstration, there will often be some idiots who see it as an opportunity for violence.
Indeed - plus of course we still have covid restrictions in place so whilst there is alwas a place for peaceful protest the whole death lurgy thingy is something that should be respected as well

Im actually glad the Roma game is away this week as I think if this had happened with a UEFA game we would probably have found ourselves kicked out of the competition and next years CL

UncleBob

That is no way to speak about Liverpool. :lol:
But even if that is the case, the point remains.
Sponsors derive value via PR.
If you affect PR you affect sponsorship which affects value of our club to the Glazers.
It's a meaningless watch company, not a global company, the agreement with Liverpool can't have been a lucrative one for either side.

None of the major sponsors have been forced to do damage control.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
TalkSport is the mouthpiece for everything wrong about football.

If they go one-way on an issue, it's usually a good indicator that you ought to take the opposite position.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
IMO our fans need to very carefully think about the lengths they are prepared to go to, and more importantly the extent of the damage that they are prepared to bestow upon the club, in order to get what we want here. Disrupting the football matches and all the penalties - sporting and financial - that this can bring is one thing. Boycotting the products of United themselves and our sponsors in order to damage United's commercial health is another. There are many things that we know to be within our power and the appetite for this has probably never been greater.

I'd personally be 100% behind all of this IF we had a solid and healthy alternative to the Glazers available to us, but we don't, and that is something that cannot be overlooked here. There is no guarantee that we wouldn't be facing another leveraged buyout. There is no guarantee that a new owner wouldn't need to monetise the club even more than the Glazers have (I'm thinking stadium naming rights here) in order to make a purchase possible. The probability that we come out of this in a much better state than we are in right now is unlikely. We are gambling with something important to us here, and that makes me uncomfortable. The odds of a favourable outcome are completely unknown. It cannot just be to get the Glazers out, it HAS to also be to replace them with better owners and without a viable alternative on the table it feels potentially reckless to me.

I like what MUST are trying to do in creating a better dialogue between the owners and the fans. This is sorely needed and would be a victory for us, as it would be if it were to convince the Glazers to increase spending, reduce dividends, and maybe even invest some of their own funds in order to modernise our stadium. Lets not get carried away though. When I see people saying that they'd happily see the club relegated in order to get the Glazers out, I cannot agree with that. Not in these circumstances.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
I know it's the nature of an online forum and pretty much literally what they are for - but it really is quite depressing reading a bunch of takes from people sat on their arses about 'what we should have done / should be doing'.

DoomSlayer

I know it's the nature of an online forum and pretty much literally what they are for - but it really is quite depressing reading a bunch of takes from people sat on their arses about 'what we should have done / should be doing'.
It's just a vocal minority, 90%+ of the fanbase are right behind you and everyone else actively protesting for the sake of our club.

bludsucker

Any idea if the fans are planning another pitch invasion. Are there any plans for the Leicester game. Read some reports that the same fans will be targeting the Leicester game too. My question is will the fans be willing risk the club getting handed a points deduction.

Ludens the Red

TalkSport is the mouthpiece for everything wrong about football.

If they go one-way on an issue, it's usually a good indicator that you ought to take the opposite position.
Yep. Trash bag shouty over opinionated pundits and a giant know it all cnut in Simon Jordan. Seems to think because he was chairman for Palace for about five minutes he knows the ins and outs of every single football related thing.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
Any idea if the fans are planning another pitch invasion. Are there any plans for the Leicester game. Read some reports that the same fans will be targeting the Leicester game too. My question is will the fans be willing risk the club getting handed a points deduction.
Nothing concrete yet and i dont think you'll see it on public forums this time :)

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Why? I mean was there action taken against people who organized it based on their online mobilization?
I suspect there will be
If nothing else organising that gathering in the midst of a global pandemic in contravention of the safety guidelines is probably going to warent investigation and a fine... then factor in that somebody bottled a policemen and i suspect you are going to see charges brought against anobody there is evidence against

I would also say that you are likley to see increased security (both police and private) at future games and that the club and the police will be gathering any information they feel will halp them manage any potential issues

Giggsyking

Simon wants 12 points deduction and taken out of CL spot :lol: . What an idiot.