Protest at Old Trafford

Rolaholic

Do you have proof? Or is this just another anti-Police post?
There are quite a few videos highlighting exactly what the poster mentioned so please spare us the woe is me stuff when it comes to officers of the law using a disproportionate amount of force/violence against unarmed protestors :rolleyes:

alexthelion

Can only post 3 times day, so sorry for late reply. :)

We make United less appealing for sponsors and strongly decrease the brand value of the club for the Glazers.
If we can continue with the protests the Glazers will understand that this club will be worth less with them as owners (compared to the value for "good owners") which is an incentive for them to sell.

Basically we are implanting a "poison pill" for current ownership that can be removed by a "proper buyer".
Thereby harming the club both on and off the pitch. No thanks.

Roboc7

Do you have proof? Or is this just another anti-Police post?
One fan was punched when held on the ground, another knocked to the floor whilst standing with his arms crossed. We shouldn’t judge Police by the actions of minority just as shouldn’t judge fans.

It’s sad how many so called Utd fans are so eager to criticise so many of their fellow supporters who did nothing wrong.

Eternitiy

IMO our fans need to very carefully think about the lengths they are prepared to go to, and more importantly the extent of the damage that they are prepared to bestow upon the club, in order to get what we want here. Disrupting the football matches and all the penalties - sporting and financial - that this can bring is one thing. Boycotting the products of United themselves and our sponsors in order to damage United's commercial health is another. There are many things that we know to be within our power and the appetite for this has probably never been greater.

I'd personally be 100% behind all of this IF we had a solid and healthy alternative to the Glazers available to us, but we don't, and that is something that cannot be overlooked here. There is no guarantee that we wouldn't be facing another leveraged buyout. There is no guarantee that a new owner wouldn't need to monetise the club even more than the Glazers have (I'm thinking stadium naming rights here) in order to make a purchase possible. The probability that we come out of this in a much better state than we are in right now is unlikely. We are gambling with something important to us here, and that makes me uncomfortable. The odds of a favourable outcome are completely unknown. It cannot just be to get the Glazers out, it HAS to also be to replace them with better owners and without a viable alternative on the table it feels potentially reckless to me.

I like what MUST are trying to do in creating a better dialogue between the owners and the fans. This is sorely needed and would be a victory for us, as it would be if it were to convince the Glazers to increase spending, reduce dividends, and maybe even invest some of their own funds in order to modernise our stadium. Lets not get carried away though. When I see people saying that they'd happily see the club relegated in order to get the Glazers out, I cannot agree with that. Not in these circumstances.
Great post, agree with all of this.

alexthelion

Police blaming United fans for Sunday getting out of hand isn’t entirely correct. They were charging the fans and getting batons out first. The retaliation from United fans was not right though and the situation the police was in must’ve been scary - they were backed into a corner in their normal uniform getting bottles thrown at them. It’s entirely on GMP though for poor organisation and poor decision making when deciding to charge the fans. The police injuries, and obviously fan injuries, are on them.
Wonder why they did what did?

alexthelion

It's just a vocal minority, 90%+ of the fanbase are right behind you and everyone else actively protesting for the sake of our club.
90% of the fanbase, or 90% of posters on here?

Think you might find there's a rather large difference between the two.

R'hllor

First Souness was representing one side in here, now Simon Jordan also joins the winning team, damn, all star team soon.

Roboc7

IMO our fans need to very carefully think about the lengths they are prepared to go to, and more importantly the extent of the damage that they are prepared to bestow upon the club, in order to get what we want here. Disrupting the football matches and all the penalties - sporting and financial - that this can bring is one thing. Boycotting the products of United themselves and our sponsors in order to damage United's commercial health is another. There are many things that we know to be within our power and the appetite for this has probably never been greater.

I'd personally be 100% behind all of this IF we had a solid and healthy alternative to the Glazers available to us, but we don't, and that is something that cannot be overlooked here. There is no guarantee that we wouldn't be facing another leveraged buyout. There is no guarantee that a new owner wouldn't need to monetise the club even more than the Glazers have (I'm thinking stadium naming rights here) in order to make a purchase possible. The probability that we come out of this in a much better state than we are in right now is unlikely. We are gambling with something important to us here, and that makes me uncomfortable. The odds of a favourable outcome are completely unknown. It cannot just be to get the Glazers out, it HAS to also be to replace them with better owners and without a viable alternative on the table it feels potentially reckless to me.

I like what MUST are trying to do in creating a better dialogue between the owners and the fans. This is sorely needed and would be a victory for us, as it would be if it were to convince the Glazers to increase spending, reduce dividends, and maybe even invest some of their own funds in order to modernise our stadium. Lets not get carried away though. When I see people saying that they'd happily see the club relegated in order to get the Glazers out, I cannot agree with that. Not in these circumstances.
Who the Glazers sell to will always be their decision and we all know they don’t give a toss about the club so it will always be whatever is best for them. In a scenario where they are forced to sell or decide it’s not worth it anymore that’s just brought forward.

The thing about the Glazers is not only are they going to continue to drain money, not pay off debt and not invest in infrastructure they’re also not competent. If they were competent and ran the club better they could mitigate some of the issues but their only competent at collecting their dividends and consultancy fees.

Sweet Square

What happened before that? Genuine question.
The police claim man was arrested on suspicion of nicking something from a car but we won't really know until later on. Although thats not really the point, the police can't attack members of the public like that. There was also another video of the police pushing a United fan who was just standing with his hands in his pockets.

diarm

People who keep saying those of us who want the Glazers out aren't thinking about who comes after them, seem to be harbouring this opinion that for all us chest beating neanderthals this is some personal vendetta against the Glazers.

This is a protest against anyone who would come in and treat the club as the Glazers do. It's becoming very apparent that for one group of fans, being the richest club in the world and maintaining our ability to sign big sponsorship deals sits at the top of their list of priorities. For another group, being the richest club in the world isn't such a priority - we just want our football club to be a football club again.

It isn't our job to provide a list of suitable owners. It's our job to tell the owners we have what we want, and if they refuse to listen to us, to protest against them.

Hughie77

Simon wants 12 points deduction and taken out of CL spot :lol: . What an idiot.
Guys a tool, isn't he, bloody hell in the main in was a just protest, I dont condone the violence that occurred, but theres always a few who cross the line, come on dock them points etc, will just drive the Club towards the ESP.
Then theres more protests just use some common sense and rearrange the game, move on. That seems to be to simple for some

alexthelion

People who keep saying those of us who want the Glazers out aren't thinking about who comes after them, seem to be harbouring this opinion that for all us chest beating neanderthals this is some personal vendetta against the Glazers.

This is a protest against anyone who would come in and treat the club as the Glazers do. It's becoming very apparent that for one group of fans, being the richest club in the world and maintaining our ability to sign big sponsorship deals sits at the top of their list of priorities. For another group, being the richest club in the world isn't such a priority - we just want our football club to be a football club again.

It isn't our job to provide a list of suitable owners. It's our job to tell the owners we have what we want, and if they refuse to listen to us, to protest against them.
Who's said that?

I've only seen people worried, justifiably, about the lack of direction and worried about what will come next.

hungrywing

Hear, hear. That bolded part should ideally stop.

Hughie77

Issues have been there since the Glazers took over , and in the main was it UTDs fault putting it on the stock market, and branding it Manchester United , back in early 2000s when the FC was taking off the badge the brand etc. The money men of the world spotted this ie the Yanks and grabbed it with both hands, how we move on , is a mystery to most of us, the Glazers simple sell the club, not many out there to pay around 4 Billion for it?

worldgonemad

The police claim man was arrested on suspicion of nicking something from a car but we won't really know until later on. Although thats not really the point, the police can't attack members of the public like that. There was also another video of the police pushing a United fan who was just standing with his hands in his pockets.
On the video i saw yesterday , it looked like the guy was trying to force his way into the cab of a lorry . Police dived in quickly and dragged him off and along to where the video above shows . Given that lorries have been used to cause death and mayhem fairly recently , i can understand why they dived in so quickly . I,m nor condoning random acts of violence against the public by the way , but i,m not against the police using force when there is a posibility of serious damage or death.

I also saw the guy being steamrollered by the police , Think he had his arms crossed rather than in his pockets . If its the same one youre referring to , then it was completely uncalled for and reminded me of the clip in america where the cops do a similar thing

worldgonemad

this is the link to the video . Think its around 1 hr 9 in where the police drag the guy off the lorry .

Roboc7

Who's said that?

I've only seen people worried, justifiably, about the lack of direction and worried about what will come next.
You’re never going to know what comes next that’s up to the Glazers. We have no idea who next owners will be or how good they’ll be what we do know is the greedy and incompetent owners we currently have aren’t any good.

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Talksport have always been anti-United like the rest of the media.

That's what happens when you are the most succesful club in England.

Jealousy from a bunch of cnuts.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
this is the link to the video . Think its around 1 hr 9 in where the police drag the guy off the lorry .

Aye, the guy is the one standing on the lorry who goes round to the driver side of the lorry. The doors open and the police immediately react when the fella is very close to the door, they may have been thinking he was going to try and drive the lorry.

red4ever 79

Schmeichel on CBS
Big Pete on the payroll as an ambassador I believe. Guy is full of shit. Retired because his body couldn't handle the rigours of the Premier league, only to sign for City. Despised inside the Utd football club when he was a player. Great player, probably our best gk ever, but as a human he's full of crap

diarm

Listening to Schmeichel there honestly made my skin crawl. I'm half convinced he has a caf account because it's the same shite we've been hearing from a vocal minority on her over the last few days.

Hester_manc

I am for all legal action in an attempt to get rid of Glazers. It also means I can not be for a demonstration like last. I'm not for a demonstration that ends in violent clashes with police, where people enter Old Trafford Stadium with vandalism and where cars are destroyed. Likewise, I can not support preventing the team from playing. I do not believe in fixing anything by destroying something.
A legal demonstration without violence or vandalism will be world class, but is that realistic?

Spoony

The People's President
Schmeichel on CBS
He's worried what may replace the Glazers. Fair enough. But he completely lost me when he focused on Graeme Souness almost getting killed by a flare and a few idiots going overboard on the pitch. The vast majority protested peacefully, it's a shame he can't understand why the fans are angry and have been so for many a year... whereas Jamie Carragher really understands and empathises with the fans' indignation.

R77

Article pretty much states what I was told by a Bucs fan. You won't see them, they won't care. Also alluded to in the article, read up on how they got their NFL stadium (Financing and Construction) and the deals they got in the aftermath. That's what they're used to and expect. Seriously scummy people. They're probably fine with all the hatred, and struggle to understand what all the fuss is about. All completely normal and above board to them.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Article pretty much states what I was told by a Bucs fan. You won't see them, they won't care. Also alluded to in the article, read up on how they got their NFL stadium (Financing and Construction) and the deals they got in the aftermath. That's what they're used to and expect. Seriously scummy people. They're probably fine with all the hatred, and struggle to understand what all the fuss is about. All completely normal and above board to them.
Pretty well all major North American sports teams get significant concessions and incentives for stadium builds from municipal governments. It's nothing new. The rest of your post is probably quite accurate, though.