Protests following the killing of George Floyd

Sara125

What an outrageous statement. What barometer are you using here? What country are you comparing us to or society even in history? By your logic is every single country a racist country in the history of the human race?

Also should we call ourselves a murderous country because thier happens to be murders in the UK every year or for that fact every single country in the world/society theres ever been? And your right maybe the UK is a fascist country too because there happens to be some fascists in this country?

Your very clearly talking in extremes.
The same systemic and institutional racisms in America exist over here, too, in case you didn’t know. And look no further at the kind of people, their parties and what they stand for that keep being elected into the government. Bare in mind the government are a direct reflection of the people as we vote them in. Need I go on?

Sara125

On another note why is it only racism that there must always be barometers and comparisons for? Why does no one ever say ‘Britain doesn’t produce good footballers because Argentina and Brazil’s products are better’. People just say and acknowledge that Britain produces good footballers full stop.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Yeah this is becoming a common theme, in here and all over social media. People plucking names and cases out of thin air to try and prove something without doing research. There’s been people on twitter posting about a lad in the U.K. who died after swallowing eighty wraps of coke and it’s been put in the list of ‘police brutality’ related deaths.

It just doesn’t help at all, everyone knows there’s a problem, you can find more than enough cases to make a point but there’s no need to resort to spreading false information and if you’re one of those people who simply reposts everything you see, STOP. Do your own research.
I kind of feel bad for calling that out now. Although in a way my intention was to help. Giving pedants like me a “win” distracts from the point, which is actually a good one.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I feel, reading your response that we are going to find it difficult to agree on the basic reasons why anyone would set light to a country's flag. Best to stop proceedings here I feel.
Burning the flag is just daft. We had a huge protest here for minority rights. They instead hoisted flags and read out the constitution to 'reclaim' the same. This is not a claim for anybody to be 'better' and people can choose their own mode of venting. But I'd consider burning your flag a step too far. And I'm someone who feels grated by forced nationalism where everyone has to prove their loyalties.

mu4c_20le

Jokes are fine. They just have to be Really funny to overcome something huge. His wasn’t funny at all.
His email response to the affiliate makes it pretty clear what stance he has. Which makes the apology even more amusing when he had to grovel and call George Floyd a hero of the black community.

Sweet Square

Yeah you wont see Sky News The Sun posting about these sort of things

You mean well Olly but it happens on the other side as well. You won't see The Guardian posting about these sort of things

Ireland 1 - 0 USA

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Burning the flag is just daft. We had a huge protest here for minority rights. They instead hoisted flags and read out the constitution to 'reclaim' the same. This is not a claim for anybody to be 'better' and people can choose their own mode of venting. But I'd consider burning your flag a step too far. And I'm someone who feels grated by forced nationalism where everyone has to prove their loyalties.
Not that I would do it myself, but what if you didn't see it as your flag, because you struggle to identify with the nation/country due to how you feel it treats you?

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
His email response to the affiliate makes it pretty clear what stance he has. Which makes the apology even more amusing when he had to grovel and call George Floyd a hero of the black community.
Not defending the fella. Just an individuals right to make a joke.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
What an outrageous statement. What barometer are you using here? What country are you comparing us to or society even in history? By your logic is every single country a racist country in the history of the human race?

Also should we call ourselves a murderous country because thier happens to be murders in the UK every year or for that fact every single country in the world/society theres ever been? And your right maybe the UK is a fascist country too because there happens to be some fascists in this country?

I'm still gobsmacked by the frequency in which people still keep coming up with this shit.

Sweet Square

Omg, is that what garda means? :lol: it's so obvious but I always thought it was Irish for police!
meaning "the Guardian of the Peace"), more commonly referred to as the Gardaí ([ˈɡaːɾˠd̪ˠiː] "Guardians") or "the Guards", is the police service of the Republic of Ireland. The service is headed by the Garda Commissioner who is appointed by the Irish Government. Its headquarters are in Dublin's Phoenix Park.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garda_Síochána
Shittest marvel superhero group of all time imo.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
Can anyone define specifically what a "racist country" consists of?

Is it a country that contains some racists? A country where the majority of the population are racist? Where the government/governing party/leader is racist?

Gibb11

The same systemic and institutional racisms in America exist over here, too, in case you didn’t know. And look no further at the kind of people, their parties and what they stand for that keep being elected into the government. Bare in mind the government are a direct reflection of the people as we vote them in. Need I go on?
I was specifically calling you out on your view that the UK is a racist country, name me a country which isn't a racist country going by your logic?

And yes go on, so the government are all racists too? So your labeling the conservative party a racist party? Is there a government or party that are not racist in the world according to you? Im just going by your logic here that these are very valid questions going by your line of thinking here

Drifter

American
Corp Dems doing their bit. Without actually doing anything .

AFC NimbleThumb

I think this is a good chance to add the names of others who have been victims of police brutality. Like Breonna Taylor, Tony McDade, Eric Salgado, Nina Pop, Monika Diamond, Dreasjon Reed. Often it is black trans men, and woc who are subjected to the worst of police brutality and hate crimes. It should go without saying that any discussion around police brutality that doesn't address this is bound to fail again. I think it'll be helpful to threadmark and keep track of the sheer amount of stories related to police brutality just in the last few months.
Well done & thank you.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout

Did you just read the first sentence and then start your reply, because @Sara125 actually explained quite clearly what their point was and you somehow went past the deep end and into the jacuzzi.

Of course we're a racist country. Racism exists in this country. As far as something like racism goes we shouldn't pat one another on the back and say "job done" until it's been eradicated from every facet of our society. It isn't a kick in the balls or an insult to suggest we're a racist nation. It should be used as a reminder that although we have come a long way we still have a long way to go.

Fingeredmouse

I was specifically calling you out on your view that the UK is a racist country, name me a country which isn't a racist country going by your logic?

And yes go on, so the government are all racists too? So your labeling the conservative party a racist party? Is there a government or party that are not racist in the world according to you? Im just going by your logic here that these are very valid questions going by your line of thinking here
You can think of no reasons why the Conservative party might be considered a racist party?

Gibb11

Did you just read the first sentence and then start your reply, because @Sara125 actually explained quite clearly what their point was and you somehow went past the deep end and into the jacuzzi.

Of course we're a racist country. Racism exists in this country. As far as something like racism goes we shouldn't pat one another on the back and say "job done" until it's been eradicated from every facet of our society. It isn't a kick in the balls or an insult to suggest we're a racist nation. It should be used as a reminder that although we have come a long way we still have a long way to go.
I agree with you except for the notion that were a racist country, I think it's insulting to the people of that nation who in the large majority are not racist. Do you describe even the most kindest of person a 'hateful person' because a few times in his life he demonstrated hate? Im just not comfortable with your and @Sara125 sweeping generalizations which is from a tiny minority.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
I agree with you except for the notion that were a racist country, I think it's insulting to the people of that nation who in the large majority are not racist. Do you describe even the most kindest of person a 'hateful person' because a few times in his life he demonstrated hate? Im just not comfortable with your and @Sara125 sweeping generalizations which is from a tiny minority.
But I'm not generalising the people themselves - maybe that's where my language is muddled. Our nation is at its core still rampant with systemic racism. Our laws, societal attitudes and language still discriminate against a hell of a lot of people. And a person doesn't need to be out openly using the n, c or p words to be racist. It can also be in how we condescend or dehumanise a person based on their race.