Protests following the killing of George Floyd

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
what do you do when the people dont want to stay in the mental health facilities, and dont want to take their meds. Montego bay where i live there is a particular mental ill man that doesnt want to go, and even when he has to after he did some vandilsation , he only wants one particular cop to take him as he trusts him. But he goes takes his meds, doesnt want to stay and is back in the streets pissing about. Its a real problem that cops cant solve and more mental facilities *may not solve

i think there are cases where people can be forcibly held in a facility if they are a problem to society and a danger to themselves.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
It’ll be interesting to hear if the cops come up with any real solutions or will they bluster and blow smoke and/or re-direct?
if they don’t want to be part of the change, then get rid and find someone who will.

Gibb11

What's dangerous is failing to address real problems and real grievances. If a tweet from a tea company does anything to help then great. If it doesn't help, then that's just another disappointment, or maybe just another tiny invisible step to something better. What it doesn't do, is anyone any damage.

Try looking at it from a different angle, if you can't say or don't want to say "black lives matter" - then ask yourself why not. Maybe try looking at what opposition to that slogan actually means, because for many of us that opposition would sound awfully like "black lives don't matter," and that's probably not what you, or your business really want to declare to the world.
This is why it's dangerously simplistic, of course black lives, asian lives, white lives, trans etc matter it's a complete given. Id suggest tea companies stay out of politics personally we don't need them to morally compund on us in a similar way to Gillette like before (although these incidents are highly different)

It's true If I was a large corporation owner PR wise in this hyped up age of it of course I would be doing what I believe would look good for me aka virtue signalling thats the unfortunate reality but im privileged as just a worker to have the freedoms to criticize the nuances of this movement whereas I would feel shackled if I was a celebrity or a corporation because of the cancel culture and the 'social justice' of media today...but even that is changing

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout

Some interesting stuff in this thread on how Leopold attempted to deflect criticism of what went down in Congo

nimic

something nice
Scout
This is why it's dangerously simplistic, of course black lives, asian lives, white lives, trans etc matter it's a complete given.
I mean, considering the very thread you're in and the fact that it has reached 152 pages, clearly it's not a complete given. This isn't directed solely at you, but sometimes it feels like people think something like "well I'm not racist, so how can racism exist?"

Ludens the Red

Fair post but i do question how effective the police are at dealing with some of these examples (despite the best of intentions to be clear). And while i accept that these things are depressingly more common than most believe i also wonder, are they actually common? I've bolded a sentence and i kind of wonder if this thought isn't an issue depending on how wide spread you'd apply that. A possible level of bias that, while entirely understandable, isn't helpful.
Maybe part of the problem is police going from a call of some horrifying, awful shit to something relatively trivial dealing with a obnoxious dickhead that leads to a not entirely appropriate reaction when looked at in isolation.
Then theres the problem of this thread casting a pretty wide net and comments relating to american policing (or individual american states policing) annoying and offending people involved with drastically different systems and vice versa. Maybe theres an element of truth to his comment as regards Jamaica, i wouldn't know.

Some nations and states have a better handle on policing and comments like defund the police will come off as completely absurd. But from your comment it sounds like it isn't working all that well from your point of view either. Everyone taking a step back and questioning where and how improvements could be made might not be a terrible idea, no? If nothing else as a means of resetting peoples attitude towards police a bit which is quite damaged in some places and makes the job harder than it needs to be.
Just to begin with I’ll post these links.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-52418650

The police made 225,714 arrests for domestic abuse-related offences (in the 39 police forces that could supply adequate data). This equates to 38 arrests per 100 domestic abuse-related crimes recorded.
https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopula...ticabuseinenglandandwales/yearendingmarch2018

The latest figures from the Crime Survey for England and Wales show little change in the prevalence of domestic abuse in recent years. In the year ending March 2018, an estimated 2.0 million adults aged 16 to 59 years experienced domestic abuse in the last year (1.3 million women, 695,000 men).
Estimates put child sex abuse figures at about 20,000 a year. And remember that this is ONLY reported ones. I apologise for pointing this out because it is fecking grim but do not make the mistake of thinking these issues aren’t widespread and aren’t happening on a daily basis because sadly they are.

I do agree that it is the American system that is what is mainly being discussed but the problem is people in this county are trying to relate these American problems and making out as such that it’s the same here.
You’ve got protestors kneeling down in front of unarmed British police and saying ‘hands up don’t shoot”.
You’ve got people posting names of people they heard about two days ago who died after ingesting wraps of coke, choking and people saying it’s as a result of racist U.K. cop brutality.

And again yeah cops are expected to go from varying different types of calls but honestly what is the alternative?
A 999 service for domestic calls? a separate one for robbery calls? a seperate one for shoplifting ?
I mean how would this work? People are envisioning this perfect fix model but it does not exist because the world and the people are completely imperfect and completely unpredictable.

I don’t know enough about American policing as a whole to give a full opinion on things. Although it’s pretty clear they’re getting it badly wrong with their use of force in particular. And of course the institutional racism.

But the idea that U.K. policing is as bad as US policing is absolutely farcical. Not something you’ve said but the opinion is now widespread and is feeding into this anti police agenda which is resulting in unarmed British police officers being assaulted.

I can’t speak for the American force but things in the U.K. are improving but there is still so much to improve on. But defunding the U.K. force would be a complete disaster. The level of domestic and child related abuse crime is not decreasing. Yet there are less detectives (The Met have began a direct entry method for graduate detectives in the last few years to try and combat this but then that creates its own problems. You need to get that experience dealing with the smaller crimes out on the field before you go on to the more complex ones). Stripping money away is not going to solve anything. Neither is daft suggestions that people should call their neighbours and report crimes for them to handle.
To me it’s clear the met have taken a step back and attempted to change things. The problem is it will never be perfect and it only takes one or two incidents for the perception to be that things are awful again. And the met are hugely aware of their perception and public relations matter deeply to them ( as it should) but if it gets to the point which is what we’re seeing now with officers being put in danger with no protection (just so it doesn’t look bad) officers will not stand for that. And there is already a lot of upset officers after what’s gone on over the last few days.

Last edited:

Oldyella

This is why it's dangerously simplistic, of course black lives, asian lives, white lives, trans etc matter it's a complete given. Id suggest tea companies stay out of politics personally we don't need them to morally compund on us in a similar way to Gillette like before (although these incidents are highly different)

It's true If I was a large corporation owner PR wise in this hyped up age of it of course I would be doing what I believe would look good for me aka virtue signalling thats the unfortunate reality but im privileged as just a worker to have the freedoms to criticize the nuances of this movement whereas I would feel shackled if I was a celebrity or a corporation because of the cancel culture and the 'social justice' of media today...but even that is changing
How does a tea company acknowledging that black lives matter morally compound on anyone though? If you agree that they do, then good, its nice that more and more people are stating they do. If you dont, well, you are probably best silently stewing about it and buying from a different company.

Classical Mechanic

I can’t speak for the American force but things in the U.K. are improving but there is still so much to improve on. But defunding the U.K. force would be a complete disaster. The level of domestic and child related abuse crime is not decreasing. Yet there are less detectives (The Met have began a direct entry method for graduate detectives in the last few years to try and combat this but then that creates its own problems. You need to get that experience dealing with the smaller crimes out on the field before you go on to the more complex ones). Stripping money away is not going to solve anything. Neither is daft suggestions that people should call their neighbours and report crimes for them to handle.
To me it’s clear the met have taken a step back and attempted to change things. The problem is it will never be perfect and it only takes one or two incidents for the perception to be that things are awful again. And the met are hugely aware of their perception and public relations matter deeply to them ( as it should) but if it gets to the point which is what we’re seeing now with officers being put in danger with no protection (just so it doesn’t look bad) officers will not stand for that. And there is already a lot of upset officers after what’s gone on over the last few days.
The Tories have been defunding the police for the past 10 years with crime increasing across the board, something the left have rightly been angry about. The idea that we defund the police even further is bonkers.

Cardboard elk

Supports
Rosenborg
Police will never be dismantled, reformed yes, but never dismantled. And they are needed. This is a sick world. Discuss all you want but there is no chance in hell that happens. Or maybe people just want anarchy. Fighting racism is very important. But so is fighting crime, closing down pedofile rings, stopping human trafficking, protecting people from terrorists, stopping kidnappers and rescuing the victims, fighting against drugs etc. Everything seems so black and white and simple to so many in here. The world is a complex place. We should at some time protest until all nations dismantled all military services and spent all the money on fighting racism, stopping inequality in general, funding social benefits, health system, schools and all sorts of shit etc.

nimic

something nice
Scout
Police will never be dismantled, reformed yes, but never dismantled. And they are needed. This is a sick world. Discuss all you want but there is no chance in hell that happens. Or maybe people just want anarchy. Fighting racism is very important. But so is fighting crime, closing down pedofile rings, stopping human trafficking, protecting people from terrorists, stopping kidnappers and rescuing the victims, fighting against drugs etc. Everything seems so black and white and simple to so many in here. The world is a complex place. We should at some time protest until all nations dismantled all military services and spent all the money on fighting racism, stopping inequality in general, funding social benefits, health system, schools and all sorts of shit etc.
When people say "defund the police", they're not actually saying that the entire concept of police should be discarded. When you say "everything seems so black and white and simple to so many in here", you're immediately falling into your own trap, and find yourself arguing against a position which functionally doesn't exist (except for some actual anarchists, obviously, but most of the protestors aren't anarchists).

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
what do you do when the people dont want to stay in the mental health facilities, and dont want to take their meds. Montego bay where i live there is a particular mental ill man that doesnt want to go, and even when he has to after he did some vandilsation , he only wants one particular cop to take him as he trusts him. But he goes takes his meds, doesnt want to stay and is back in the streets pissing about. Its a real problem that cops cant solve and more mental facilities *may not solve
You want to design a whole policy around the outliers?

Port Vale Devil

Supports
Port Vale
Biden finally does a decent speech. More empathy in 4 minutes than Trump has in nearly 4 years.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Rhodes will be next, I’d imagine Oriel College will have it down very soon:

Ludens the Red

When people say "defund the police", they're not actually saying that the entire concept of police should be discarded. When you say "everything seems so black and white and simple to so many in here", you're immediately falling into your own trap, and find yourself arguing against a position which functionally doesn't exist (except for some actual anarchists, obviously, but most of the protestors aren't anarchists).
Except that has been said, a lot. A couple in here have said it. People have been saying it all week on social media even people I know personally. They have literally said policing should be abolished and people should set up agencies to deal with crimes and get their neighbours to act as mediators.

The Tories have been defunding the police for the past 10 years with crime increasing across the board, something the left have rightly been angry about. The idea that we defund the police even further is bonkers.
Yup but these tables have now turned. Somehow American coppers putting on a shit show has now convinced the left that policing in the U.K. has time travelled back to 1993. The left are now the ones advocating for police cuts.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Except that has been said, a lot. A couple in here have said it. People have been saying it all week on social media even people I know personally. They have literally said policing should be abolished and people should set up agencies to deal with crimes and get their neighbours to act as mediators.

Yup but these tables have now turned. Somehow American coppers putting on a shit show has now convinced the left that policing in the U.K. has time travelled back to 1993. The left are now the ones advocating for police cuts.
I’ve also seen it said, also to abolish the police but keep certain sections like detectives and urgent response units which is basically the police under a new name anyway.

I can’t see the sense in calling it defund the police when the police have been crying out for more funding for years and crime is rising (I think). Surely they need more funding and training. Now I’m thinking While typing this, that must have started in America And now uk is copying it? I’ve no idea what’s really going on or protested anymore. I fully see that black lives matter is the main part of it all but there’s also police brutality in there and Britain needs to watch where it’s copying America too much as we have different problems don’t we?

Classical Mechanic

There was an unwitting admission by the UK protesters that the police here are nothing like the US when all they could find to complain about at the weekend was that there were some police horses at the protest.

hobbers

I'd love to see a social experiment where an area is given over to mob rule community self governance with no police power or input. Maybe start it in Beverley Hills and Hollywood.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW

Despite the narrative in this thread, the vast majority are still behind the police and fully appreciate what you do mate.

Ronaldo's Mum Eh?

Ronaldo is shite
Totally off topic but be careful of the YouTube rabbit holes you go down if you're susceptible to believing stuff like that plandemic thing.

That video can easily be debunked by a bit of googling as can most conspiracy theories. When videos are taken down it's usually for spreading misinformation rather than censorship because 'they' don't want you to know something. Anyone claiming a cover up/conspiracy should be treated with healthy amount of scepticism imo, until there's verified proof.
I mean the papers love a real cover up story and there's been plenty of exposés and whistleblowers over the years so the idea that all of the media worldwide would all be in on it is bizarre.

But I digress, do be careful though. I've a couple of people who used to be in my social circle and started talking along the lines you are and are now full on 5G causes cancer/George Soros and the UN are in league with the govt and also funding antifa activists/Chemtrails are poisoning us/911 was an inside job/we need a revolution crackpots.
Thank you for your thoughtful response.

To be clear, I do not believe the plandemic documentary. I posted it to see what the thoughts of the posters were. My argument was that whistleblowers do exist and that ideas that are on the other side should be looked at and analyzed and not just brushed under the rug as conspiracy theories.

Why? Because the government throughout history has not been truthful with everything in society. There have been cover-ups, lies, deceiving actions, etc. to hide what was being told to us.

One example I gave is Bob Lazar, who has concrete proof of his past with his work at S4 (near area 51) but the government/society did everything to erase his past (where he worked, what school he went to, etc.) in order to keep him quiet.

Charles Manson murder has also been altered with by the CIA and FBI.

These are just two small examples where the truth was altered. My question to you is why do we need to believe EVERYTHING the government tells us? Do we not learn by questioning things and being open to opposing ideas?

I agree that there is a lot of nonsense out there (misinformation with 5g, bill gates, etc). But I believe these things should be looked at analyzed on a case by case basis because not everything we are told is true.

Mainstream media is becoming less reliable, science has its biases at times - it's healthy to question things, no?

You asked the question several times so I will answer, none of it. The premise is by itself wrong, the police aren't executioners, they are not supposed to kill people outside of self defense or if someone is an immediate threat to others and there is no other options. From the moment she focuses on George Floyd's past instead of focusing on the fact that the officers had him cuffed and should have put him in their car way before he died, she is basically making the point that the police can ignore the judicial system, that they can be judges and executioners. Whether Floyd was a good person or not is irrelevant, whether he was going to turn things around was also irrelevant.
You are looking at a small part of the video and judging that. She stated that Floyd was not a martyr because he held a gun to a pregnant lady's belly. She lacks compassion because of that but of course she does not excuse what the officer did. Floyd was wrongfully murdered but her point is that he shouldn't be labelled as a hero or martyr because he wasn't a good person.

However, her main point is that black lives only matter when white people are the ones committing murder. She highlighted the stats that prove black people kill each other more than any other group.

She illustrated the stats that black people account for the minority in America, but commit the most crimes. She proved stats that black people on a per capita basis get killed less by cops than white people.

These are the points that I wanted the caf to address. If her point was that we shouldn't feel bad about Floyd then I highly disagree. She has stated that she wants justice for what happened to Floyd.

I support the black lives movement but I believe they need to do better. Everyone needs to do better. Police officers need to be trained better, we need to be educated more on black history, but black people need to do a better job at not killing their own as well. I believe a police officer can't value a black life because the value of a black life is being reduced every day due to black on black violence.

We all need to do better.

'Black on Black' Violence Argument

Sara125

Thank you for your thoughtful response.

To be clear, I do not believe the plandemic documentary. I posted it to see what the thoughts of the posters were. My argument was that whistleblowers do exist and that ideas that are on the other side should be looked at and analyzed and not just brushed under the rug as conspiracy theories.

Why? Because the government throughout history has not been truthful with everything in society. There have been cover-ups, lies, deceiving actions, etc. to hide what was being told to us.

One example I gave is Bob Lazar, who has concrete proof of his past with his work at S4 (near area 51) but the government/society did everything to erase his past (where he worked, what school he went to, etc.) in order to keep him quiet.

Charles Manson murder has also been altered with by the CIA and FBI.

These are just two small examples where the truth was altered. My question to you is why do we need to believe EVERYTHING the government tells us? Do we not learn by questioning things and being open to opposing ideas?

I agree that there is a lot of nonsense out there (misinformation with 5g, bill gates, etc). But I believe these things should be looked at analyzed on a case by case basis because not everything we are told is true.

Mainstream media is becoming less reliable, science has its biases at times - it's healthy to question things, no?

You are looking at a small part of the video and judging that. She stated that Floyd was not a martyr because he held a gun to a pregnant lady's belly. She lacks compassion because of that but of course she does not excuse what the officer did. Floyd was wrongfully murdered but her point is that he shouldn't be labelled as a hero or martyr because he wasn't a good person.

However, her main point is that black lives only matter when white people are the ones committing murder. She highlighted the stats that prove black people kill each other more than any other group.

She illustrated the stats that black people account for the minority in America, but commit the most crimes. She proved stats that black people on a per capita basis get killed less by cops than white people.

These are the points that I wanted the caf to address. If her point was that we shouldn't feel bad about Floyd then I highly disagree. She has stated that she wants justice for what happened to Floyd.

I support the black lives movement but I believe they need to do better. Everyone needs to do better. Police officers need to be trained better, we need to be educated more on black history, but black people need to do a better job at not killing their own as well. I believe a police officer can't value a black life because the value of a black life is being reduced every day due to black on black violence.

Gonna stop you right here, buddy. ’Black on black’ violence isn’t real.

edit: Actually let me address everything, as if hasn’t been explained 100000 times already.

Black people ‘kill each other’ more than white people kill them because of PROXIMITY. Obviously if you are in a BLACK community there are other black people around you so those will be who you interact with and are in your life more than anyone else.

White people in Glasgow also kill each other as they also have a big gang problem there too but why do you never hear the phrase white on white crime? Or what about countries like Honduras and El Salvador? (which btw have some of the highest homicide rates in the world). Why do you never hear the phrase ‘Hispanic on Hispanic’ crime (I am aware that black people can be Hispanic too but black Hispanics are a minority in these countries). Or what about back in the 20th century when white Italian mafia bosses killed other white Italian mafia members? Or people like Jesse and Frank James? Why was this never known as ‘white on white’ violence?

As for your other points, the stats around crime committing are usually skewed because black people are more likely to be wrongfully arrested or accused of committing crimes they didn’t. For the crimes that they actually DO commit, socio economic factors such as poverty, poor housing, no facilities in the community etc. usually lead to crime, and like I mentioned in a previous post just the other day, these things aren’t limited to black people and black communities. Just look at the conditions of some of the communities in these South American countries that operate the largest drug cartels. And black people shouldn’t have to not kill each other for the police to see us as human. They are law enforcers, representative of the people and are therefore held at a higher standard. Lastly, white people are killed more by police because there are more white people than anyone else in America.

Last edited:

mu4c_20le

Yep, it's something white racists love to say, but since they often get called out on it they go through someone like Candace.

Just gonna drop this video here while we're on the subject. It's a little long, but very insightful. He starts off by calling her evil which made me think it was going to be preachy and sanctimonious, but he hits every nail on the head after that.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City

edit: Actually let me address everything, as if hasn’t been explained 100000 times already.

Black people ‘kill each other’ more than white people kill them because of PROXIMITY. Obviously if you are in a BLACK community there are other black people around you so those will be who you interact with and are in your life more than anyone else.

White people in Glasgow also kill each other as they also have a big gang problem there too but why do you never hear the phrase white on white crime? Or what about countries like Honduras and El Salvador? (which btw have some of the highest homicide rates in the world). Why do you never hear the phrase ‘Hispanic on Hispanic’ crime (I am aware that black people can be Hispanic too but black Hispanics are a minority in these countries). Or what about back in the 20th century when white Italian mafia bosses killed other white Italian people? Or people like Jesse and Frank James? Why was this never known as ‘white on white’ violence?

As for your other points, the stats around crime committing are usually skewed because black people are more likely to be wrongfully arrested or accused of committing crimes they didn’t. For the crimes that they actually DO commit, socio economic factors such as poverty, poor housing, no facilities in the community etc. usually lead to crime, and like I mentioned in a previous post just the other day, these things aren’t limited to black people and black communities. Just look at the conditions of some of the communities in these South American countries that operate the largest drug cartels. Lastly, white people are killed more by police because there are more white people than anyone else in America.
Excellently put. Anything that happens in black communities, the narrative involves race. Anything that happens in white communities (Glasgow a good example as you mention, paedophile/sex abuse rings e.g. those around Epstein or Jimmy Savile/Yewtree investigation) it’s just an invisible and unspoken factor. Whiteness is never proffered as an explanation or cause for crimes, because it would rightly be viewed as utterly absurd. The ‘black on black’ narrative really needs consigning to the dustbins of history, and the fact it has any credibility in mainstream thought is a symptom of how deeply racist society remains.

caid

Just to begin with I’ll post these links.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-52418650

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopula...ticabuseinenglandandwales/yearendingmarch2018

Estimates put child sex abuse figures at about 20,000 a year. And remember that this is ONLY reported ones. I apologise for pointing this out because it is fecking grim but do not make the mistake of thinking these issues aren’t widespread and aren’t happening on a daily basis because sadly they are.

I do agree that it is the American system that is what is mainly being discussed but the problem is people in this county are trying to relate these American problems and making out as such that it’s the same here.
You’ve got protestors kneeling down in front of unarmed British police and saying ‘hands up don’t shoot”.
You’ve got people posting names of people they heard about two days ago who died after ingesting wraps of coke, choking and people saying it’s as a result of racist U.K. cop brutality.

And again yeah cops are expected to go from varying different types of calls but honestly what is the alternative?
A 999 service for domestic calls? a separate one for robbery calls? a seperate one for shoplifting ?
I mean how would this work? People are envisioning this perfect fix model but it does not exist because the world and the people are completely imperfect and completely unpredictable.

I don’t know enough about American policing as a whole to give a full opinion on things. Although it’s pretty clear they’re getting it badly wrong with their use of force in particular. And of course the institutional racism.

But the idea that U.K. policing is as bad as US policing is absolutely farcical. Not something you’ve said but the opinion is now widespread and is feeding into this anti police agenda which is resulting in unarmed British police officers being assaulted.

Thanks for your posts. I've read them and will think on them

Sara125

Excellently put. Anything that happens in black communities, the narrative involves race. Anything that happens in white communities (Glasgow a good example as you mention, paedophile/sex abuse rings e.g. those around Epstein or Jimmy Savile/Yewtree investigation) it’s just an invisible and unspoken factor. Whiteness is never proffered as an explanation or cause for crimes, because it would rightly be viewed as utterly absurd. The ‘black on black’ narrative really needs consigning to the dustbins of history, and the fact it has any credibility in mainstream thought is a symptom of how deeply racist society remains.
Exactly. People don’t question why violence between black people is the only type of intra community violence that is given a name.

bondsname

Protests broke out in Göteborg and I just can't understand why, damaging property and looting, I never heard of police brutality being an issue in Sweden. Maybe I missed something.

The one complaint I have heard however is that the police in Sweden don't do enough, they're too lazy. But surely that isn't worth damaging the whole city for?

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout

The rest is even more stupid and offensive when black communities actively fight against violence. Secondly murders are generally done within the community and since the US are a relatively segregated country blacks are more likely to kill blacks and whites are more likely to kill whites, in both case we are above 80%.
As for your last sentence, would you make the same claim when we are talking about white people, to make it clear 80% of muders where the victim is white was committed by a white offender, the stat for African Americans is 88%. You made that extremely stupid and offensive statement based on that delta?

bpet15

I'd love to see a social experiment where an area is given over to mob rule community self governance with no police power or input. Maybe start it in Beverley Hills and Hollywood.
Or Chicago. If it can be successful there, it should work anywhere.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
There certainly seems to be some tangible gains already. It's hard to see at a cursory glance how many of these changes are as a direct result of the protests - as opposed to policies being already under review. The headlines are heartening though.