Protests following the killing of George Floyd

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Her response to Blacklivesmatter - "Nobody has the balls to touch them... which really makes you wonder about the oppression they keep screeching about. Seems like they have some pretty special privleges if you ask me."
Incredible stupidity.

clarkydaz

I'm not sure anymore, I know some of them are good some are bad. I just don't think the good is that much more, and what good do they do if they can't stop the bad guys?

They're not civilian, I can understand if civilian keeps quite, they're LEO sword to serve and protect and they fail to do so.
its not just the cops on the street is it, its ingrained in the powers above them. And consider the laughable coroner report about no signs of strangulation and probable drug intake. While the whole world was waiting for that report

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Based on what I tend to see in this forum, I'm sure people will argue against this, but the vast majority of cops are good people that do a thankless, dangerous job and genuinely care about protecting all citizens, as per their oath. The vast majority are just as outraged that someone that took an oath to protect and serve has needlessly taken a life and damaged the trust that so many officers and police departments have worked hard to build. Is the system perfect? Hell no. Are some cops or even departments bad/racist/crooked? Absolutely. But to paint all of them as bad is unfair and inaccurate. Cops around the country, that had absolutely nothing to do with Floyd's death, are being screamed at, assaulted, having projectiles thrown at them ranging from fireworks to bottles urine and watching people spray paint things like "kill all pigs" around their city. I can't imagine what it must feel like to put your life on the line day in and day out to protect all citizens and then be subject to this because of what happened hundreds or thousands of miles away. I can't imagine what a frustrating and confusing time it must be for black police officers around the country.

People have every right to protest. Every right to be outraged. Every right to demand justice. And the vast majority are doing so peacefully and legitimately want change and justice. Then you have opportunists and anarchists stoking the flames and inciting riots, destruction of property and further divisiveness. I've seen countless videos of peaceful black protesters intervening on little antifa thugs trying to turn peaceful demonstrations violent. There are forces, domestic and international, trying to use this situation for their benefit to destabilize our society, not to bring justice for Floyd and end systemic issues.

I'm appalled by the number of people condoning the violence, the riots, the looting. How is it justified to burn and loot around the country because of what happened in Minneapolis? I don't think those actions are justified there, either, but one could at least argue that they are acting against the institution that caused Floyd's death. The Atlanta, Baltimore, DC, New York, etc. etc. police departments have nothing to do with Minneapolis.

What is justice? True justice is due process. This country was founded on this principle and these riots will not subvert anyone's right to a fair trial (which in this case I hope ends in convictions). But due process takes time. The process is underway, we have to let it run its course. In the meantime, I support everyone's right to peacefully demonstrate their outrage and their demands for change, but violence, destruction and theft don't do that.

We can only improve as a country if we are united, and the country is certainly united in wanting justice for Floyd. This incident has the power to bring about true change by bringing everyone together (as we've seen by the unity demonstrated by the majority of the protestors from all walks of life, and from many cops who have held banners supporting justice for Floyd while doing their job to maintain peace during demonstrations), but these riots (not the protests) are doing the opposite and do no honor or justice for Floyd or the others who have similarly suffered.

As a Brit who is a proud nationalized US citizen, I love this country and all of the people that are a part of it. It breaks my heart to see those that want to leverage injustice to bring about more divisiveness and anarchy, winning.
With all due respect, what a load of bullshit!

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
That’s all well and good except your country was founded on a bunch of rich white slave owners rebelling against their British overlords because they didn’t want to pay more tax. The country was literally born out of the American revolution. Due process never had any place there, and America was never founded on any principle of equality.

As for the good cops thing, that’s such a tired cliche. If you’re a good cop, you don’t sit by while abuses of power take place all around you. If there’s one racist in the office who abuses his power and targets black people, and nine other officers who don’t, but know that this officer does it, then there are ten bad officers as far as I’m concerned.

This was a really nice, chest thumping way of saying “We’re all in this together, let’s hold hands and get along and figure out a peaceful way through this” but that exact line of thinking hasn’t work for the past few decades, so people can be excused for thinking that it won’t do much good now.

I mean...wut?

We can only improve as a country if we are united, and the country is certainly united in wanting justice for Floyd.
Yeah, totally got a grip on this current situation and why there are mass protests...

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
Based on what I tend to see in this forum, I'm sure people will argue against this, but the vast majority of cops are good people that do a thankless, dangerous job and genuinely care about protecting all citizens, as per their oath. The vast majority are just as outraged that someone that took an oath to protect and serve has needlessly taken a life and damaged the trust that so many officers and police departments have worked hard to build. Is the system perfect? Hell no. Are some cops or even departments bad/racist/crooked? Absolutely. But to paint all of them as bad is unfair and inaccurate. Cops around the country, that had absolutely nothing to do with Floyd's death, are being screamed at, assaulted, having projectiles thrown at them ranging from fireworks to bottles urine and watching people spray paint things like "kill all pigs" around their city. I can't imagine what it must feel like to put your life on the line day in and day out to protect all citizens and then be subject to this because of what happened hundreds or thousands of miles away. I can't imagine what a frustrating and confusing time it must be for black police officers around the country.

People have every right to protest. Every right to be outraged. Every right to demand justice. And the vast majority are doing so peacefully and legitimately want change and justice. Then you have opportunists and anarchists stoking the flames and inciting riots, destruction of property and further divisiveness. I've seen countless videos of peaceful black protesters intervening on little antifa thugs trying to turn peaceful demonstrations violent. There are forces, domestic and international, trying to use this situation for their benefit to destabilize our society, not to bring justice for Floyd and end systemic issues.

I'm appalled by the number of people condoning the violence, the riots, the looting. How is it justified to burn and loot around the country because of what happened in Minneapolis? I don't think those actions are justified there, either, but one could at least argue that they are acting against the institution that caused Floyd's death. The Atlanta, Baltimore, DC, New York, etc. etc. police departments have nothing to do with Minneapolis.

What is justice? True justice is due process. This country was founded on this principle and these riots will not subvert anyone's right to a fair trial (which in this case I hope ends in convictions). But due process takes time. The process is underway, we have to let it run its course. In the meantime, I support everyone's right to peacefully demonstrate their outrage and their demands for change, but violence, destruction and theft don't do that.

We can only improve as a country if we are united, and the country is certainly united in wanting justice for Floyd. This incident has the power to bring about true change by bringing everyone together (as we've seen by the unity demonstrated by the majority of the protestors from all walks of life, and from many cops who have held banners supporting justice for Floyd while doing their job to maintain peace during demonstrations), but these riots (not the protests) are doing the opposite and do no honor or justice for Floyd or the others who have similarly suffered.

As a Brit who is a proud nationalized US citizen, I love this country and all of the people that are a part of it. It breaks my heart to see those that want to leverage injustice to bring about more divisiveness and anarchy, winning.
You’re a Brit, so do you remember the Macpherson Report?

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Is it a kind of cowardice or denial against uncomfortable truths which leads some, on seeing someone shouting about injustice, to think: 'That person is destroying the peace and calm of my nice neighbourhood. And that's the important thing, not injustice...'?

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
Yeah, I’m not buying most cops are good. They protect each other when the bad cops cross the line. At that point, how they can still be good cops?

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
And just to reiterate, we’re in the middle of a fecking global pandemic!!

The pictures of crowds of protestors in London is fecking insane.

We'll end up seeing a spike again because of this and given the disproportionate impact on BAME patients, it’s just mental for people to be acting this way.

Again, what happened to George Floyd in America is abhorrent but put down your signs and stay the feck home.
Try having some empathy before you jump onto your soap box. Just personalise this for a moment. Think up the reason you and millions of others would be prepared to risk spreading this pandemic virus.

Thought of it yet?

That’s how especially black Americans and others who sympathise with their cause feel. So utterly helpless that they are willing to risk catching covid19, because their society refuses to do anything about a blatant 21st century human injustice.

It’s no longer the 1900s where such acts of depravity over black people is legal. We are also in the middle of a horrific and historic pandemic. These are the actual reasons why the grievance being expressed so vociferously should be taken even more seriously.

TheReligion

Abusive
With all due respect, what a load of bullshit!
To be fair it's much more coherent and well structured than your own input which has been to promote rioting, not protesting, across the world.

Pick apart what you don't agree with by all means but to just respond with that given what you've been saying is nonsense.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Thats a military technique used to subdue non combatants. It's either taught by the warrior training that many police departments recieve or it's bought over from the military by ex soldiers.
Knee neck cranks are banned in MMA!!! Not sure what else there is to say!

Cloud7

Is it a kind of cowardice or denial against uncomfortable truths which leads some, on seeing someone shouting about injustice, to think: 'That person is destroying the peace and calm of my nice neighbourhood. And that's the important thing, not injustice...'?
It's denial, and a sort of selfishness as well. The status quo works for a lot of people, and so while some of them have a heart and a conscience and want to make things better for everyone, a lot of people for whom the status quo works, have no desire for things to change, and they just want their peace and calm. That's all that matters to them.

Cloud7

To be fair it's much more coherent and well structured than your own input which has been to promote rioting, not protesting, across the world.

Pick apart what you don't agree with by all means but to just respond with that given what you've been saying is nonsense.
It's hard to pick apart what you don't agree with when the entire post is full of manure from top to bottom.

ATXRedDevil

I'm not sure anymore, I know some of them are good some are bad. I just don't think the good is that much more, and what good do they do if they can't stop the bad guys?

They're not civilian, I can understand if civilian keeps quite, they're LEO sword to serve and protect and they fail to do so.

Look at the protest for example, the bad cops shoves and brutalized protester, what's the other cops doing? if a 100 police can't and won't stop the 1 that violates the law can you tell me they're good cop?
You're right. They need to be trained to stand up to their colleagues, even if they are authority figures, if they see something that's wrong. It's not acceptable to sit back and watch. But there are so many cops in the US dealing with ridiculous things every day and doing the right thing, we just only hear about these incidences so reality is clouded by perception. It's not an excuse, but there's an element of human nature here as well (see Milgram's experiment). These cops are, after all, human.

As to the riots, I've seen a video of an elderly white guy pushed down by a cop in riot gear in Utah. I've also seen a video (I think in Atlanta) of three police officers being attacked unjustifiably by an angry mob, until a crowd of peaceful protestors formed a protective circle around them. By and large, I think the cops policing these riots are doing an incredible job of showing restraint. I don't think I could keep my cool being screamed at and having firecrackers and piss thrown at me. But again, some jackasses like that guy in Utah undermine all of that.

Each police department and city is different and most are not only full of good people, but many are and have been trying to address issues and rebuild trust in the community. After those five officers were gunned down in Dallas in 2016, it was particularly heartbreaking because of the work the department had done to clean things up. So five officers were gunned down after a peaceful demonstration, in a city hundreds of miles from Baton Rouge where the incident being protested occurred, from a police department that has made terrific strides at re-building trust in the community. https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2016/07/dallas-police/490583/
"But, at the very least, Dallas police appear to have cleaned up their act. Excessive force complaints against the department dropped by 64 percent over a five-year period. Arrests are decreasing by the thousands each year.

“So far this year, in 2016, we have had four excessive force complaints. We’ve averaged between 150 and 200 my whole 33-year career. So this is transformative,” Brown told a crowd of his fellow officers and policymakers at the White House in April. His department is a member of President Obama’s Police Data Initiative. “And we’ve averaged between 18 and 25 police involved shootings my whole career. We’ve had two so far this year.”"

It's an all around sad cycle.

InfiniteBoredom

That’s all well and good except your country was founded on a bunch of rich white slave owners rebelling against their British overlords because they didn’t want to pay more tax. The country was literally born out of the American revolution. Due process never had any place there, and America was never founded on any principle of equality.
It’s even worse than that, they didn’t want to pay more taxes that were levied to pay for debts incurred in the Seven Years War that was fought by the British Crown to protect the colonists’s interest.

Plus, ‘due process’ doesn’t really compute since as per Dred Scott vs. Sandford, barely 60 years after the revolution, a black person wasn’t even considered citizen of the US, so he had no standing in court, and that whole 3/5th compromise written into the Constitution that would take a war which in modern equivalence would claim about 15 million lives to be erased.

Very noble sentiments, but regrettably all horseshit.

TheReligion

Abusive

I think there are deep rooted problems within American culture and society which have allowed aspects of the police in that country to become a paramilitary machine. Laws around guns don't help and I must say I've been pretty shocked by a number of videos published in recent days with regards to how the police have been dealing with things and I don't think law enforcement's in the US has painted itself in a good picture in the slightest. That said I'm not as naive as some to carte blanche refuse to accept there's any good good officers in the States as there obviously will be. If there isn't then it means American society is totally screwed given the police are recruited from the very pool of people they serve.

The country needs change but is there appetite for it? Voting in Trump and refusing to give up firearms under Obama suggests not. If multiple racist attacks and high school shootings don't make you want real change I'm not sure what will. This has gone on far too long.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Yeah, I’m not buying most cops are good. They protect each other when the bad cops cross the line. At that point, how they can still be good cops?
I'm willing to bet my house that every cop has at some point witnessed something out of hand, whether it be some dodgy locker room talk, shady practices, heavy-handed tactics, racial profiling/prejudice, sexist behaviour etc., etc. and not reported or at the very least challenged it. The 'bad apples' thing is just a way of labelling the ones that get caught. 'Good cops' if there is such a thing are very much in the minority.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
i Sympathise. What happened was disgusting and I want to see justice. Those cops need real sentences.

but riots and protests are two very very different things.
Riots and protests are not two very very different things. You need to dispense with the bullshit notion of protests starting and ending totally peaceful, resulting in positive change. At least that's not the history of this country, who's origin and ascendance was steeped in violence against Native Americans and black people.

Last edited:

Revan

Assumptionman

Unfortunately, I think that you have entirely missed the point of these protests.

Heardy

Riots and protests are not two very very different things. You need to dispense with the bullshit notion of protests starting and ending totally peaceful, resulting in positive change. At least that's not the history of this country.
A protest can and should remain peaceful. If a protest becomes a riot you lose the moral high ground and engage in actions that cannot and should not be justified.

I was just reading about a white woman in the NY protests who has been arrested and charged with attempted murder for throwing a Molotov cocktail at a police car with four officers inside. I mean WTF.

You’re welcome to your opinion mate. At the crux of it all, we can agree that cop was a murderer and George Floyd and many other black men deserve justice, but this rioting will not get it. If anything it will result in protestors and cops alike being either murdered or thrown in jail for other acts of senseless violence.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
AntiFa have a branding issue. Most of the disinterested don't even know it's a shorthand for Anti-Facist.

Once everyone knows this, they can make a more informed decision into why they act like they do. eg: Most democracies claim that Facism is a bad thing, and should welcome groups who will fight against its symptoms.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
A 7 second video of part of an incident in the UK proves what exactly? You'll have to help me here.
That there is a police brutality issue in the UK.

Now go hurry and look for your mate 'devil' and his mate 'advocate' while you try to think of reasons to deny this.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
The 6th highest cause of death for black men in America is the police.

Black people in America live every day in fear of the people assigned to protect society. They’re being killed in massive numbers. The fact that most of us get to walk or drive around without fearing being shot by the police is in itself a privilege when you look at the life they are made to lead.

These protests and riots are a reaction to that fear and oppression, and the response from the police has in no small part been to further escalate the issue.

Looking at what’s going on right now and focusing on criticising the rioting is to ignore 400 years of black people being treated as less than human.

TheReligion

Abusive
Why it is ridiculous?

Why a country that can arm every cop like a soldier, cannot arm every doctor like a doctor?
Because it implies that a choice has been made by the government to kit out the police but not that heath service. Trump is a whopper but we all know that wasn't the case. No one anticipated a global pandemic or the requirement of a specific kind of PPE. Every country in the world has had issues sourcing it and an inquiry should take place post pandemic to see what mistakes were made during procurement but that's just sensationalism.

Cloud7

A protest can and should remain peaceful. If a protest becomes a riot you lose the moral high ground and engage in actions that cannot and should not be justified.
Oh wow, the moral high ground. You wouldn't want to lose that, would you? And when in the history of anything has having the moral high ground ever changed anything for the better?