Protests following the killing of George Floyd

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
What are your opinions of Candace Owens video that went viral?
She thinks it's okay to brutally murder ex convicts who've paid their debt to society. She also apparently doesnt see the bigger picture of the protests. Then again, I think she denies there's racism in the US.

Wasnt she in Django Unchained? Or no wait, that was Samuel L Jackson.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
This is a more important thread than it initially appears:

Brilliant spot and thanks for posting. I hope a forensic cleansing of racist police officers from all police forces is the first of many outcomes of this protest. And as this post proves, its not as through that evidence is hard to find.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
Because it’s purposely ignoring what the protest is about? I’m not going to bother arguing with a blatantly racist view.
He hasn't ignored what the protest is about. He's questioned the motives of many of those attending the protest. He also has not expressed a blatantly racist view. Give your head a wobble for making making that false accusation.

Classical Mechanic

Haven't seen it, will you post here please?
She claims that he was sent down for his part in a home invasion where he put a gun to pregnant woman’s stomach and threatened to shoot her baby. She says that he shouldn’t be made into a martyr because he was a bad dude and it disrespects the victim of the crime.

As for the Covid spreading from the protests. I’m sceptical it will. Shouldn’t we have already seen case increases in the US as the incubation period is 2-14 days? In the UK too from all the increased activity and Bournemouth beach etc?

mu4c_20le

She thinks it's okay to brutally murder ex convicts who've paid their debt to society. She also apparently doesnt see the bigger picture of the protests. Then again, I think she denies there's racism in the US.

Wasnt she in Django Unchained? Or no wait, that was Samuel L Jackson.
She doesn't really have any actual opinion, she's an opportunist who milked being a victim during the Gamergate thing, and flipped from a liberal to being a conservative talking head. Like Posobiec and the other banned troll, everything she says is an attempt to go viral.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
She doesn't really have any actual opinion, she's an opportunist who milked being a victim during the Gamergate thing, and flipped from a liberal to being a conservative talking head.
Yeah, I read a brief history. They all sound exactly the same. Used to be a normal person, failed to become famous, made the switch to shocking people to gain traction online. They're a sort of thought prostitutes. She's also married to some British nazi like dude right?

Sparky Rhiwabon

Oh for feck’s sake. I’ve been trying to kid myself that they’ve been social distancing while protesting. That’s nuts. People are going to die as a consequence of this.

I wonder if the police will be using kettling tactics again. Which would make a bad situation even worse.
We shouldn’t be making this into “all lives matter” - this is about Black Lives Matter - bigger picture at stake here

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Saw this meme on imgur

I don't know if this actually happens but I can imagine that going from being treated normally to some people being overly nice would be weird. I think some people are desperate to prove they're not racist, they go overboard. People need to be engaging in dialogues with people of all different races and backgrounds (on this topic, talking to black people about their experiences in Western culture) and not just chanting slogans then going back to their circle of white friends feeling like they've made a difference in the world.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
As for the Covid spreading from the protests. I’m sceptical it will. Shouldn’t we have already seen case increases in the US as the incubation period is 2-14 days? In the UK too from all the increased activity and Bournemouth beach etc?
Not really. The Minneapolis protests just started the 27th of May and they did not go completely nationwide until the following days. Also, you may not even notice the spike because in many states cases were already increasing, not to mention the lag in reporting cases. Oh, also some states were already fully open or in phase 3 so that’s another variable.

Whether or not this is a super spreader event is something we can’t evaluate yet.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
The last time I remember something taking off like this in terms of protests is the recent climate change protests. I know that it's a thinly veiled comparison but what has happened since those protests took place in terms of new laws/regulations? I think this will be taken more seriously by the general population but it might give a small insight into how seriously the politicians will take it.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Something I don’t understand is what’s the end game here? How many consecutive days will we have thousands of people crowding the streets in the UK and Ireland? Obviously, the covid outbreak risk gets higher and higher with each day of protest. When will the organisers decide they’ve made their point? In the US they can focus on the specific court case but what’s the equivalent over here?
You're assuming that it's about what the organisers want, when this isn't really about organisation. This is about a reaction at a particular moment. George Floyd's murder on camera struck a chord with people, maybe even a generation of people, including some who've never been involved in any kind of public protest or street protest before. It's bloody awful timing, but maybe it was the fact that most people were at home, tuned to the breaking news on twitter is what tipped the balance.

If it was all about a thought through set of demands, followed by a steady campaign to build support, then I agree, arguing about the timing of a march or the continuation of protests over days, or changing tactics to avoid public health risks would mean something. But this is about pent up frustration and anger that says yes, we've seen it all before - we know it happens, but this time we can't just switch it off and get on with something else. It's currently about saying this matters, and saying it often enough and loud enough that it doesn't just roll straight off the front page and into twitter-land again.

Sparky Rhiwabon

All the negative comments on Twitter re videos of the Manchester protests, largely by white privileged people of course, so much casual racism.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Saw this meme on imgur

I don't know if this actually happens but I can imagine that going from being treated normally to some people being overly nice would be weird. I think some people are desperate to prove they're not racist, they go overboard. People need to be engaging in dialogues with people of all different races and backgrounds (on this topic, talking to black people about their experiences in Western culture) and not just chanting slogans then going back to their circle of white friends feeling like they've made a difference in the world.
It's the thought that counts, it really is

How many of you would risk being charged with false charges, or risk injury from rubber bullet, or corona, just to protest this great injustice?

I would think 2-3 times to be fair, so I would raise my hat on those that are actually out there, even if they took a pic here and there for keepsake.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
I've not stated 'white' lives matter. Where did you get that from? I said all lives matter, but everyone here has somehow been offended by that and got all angry and had a go.. If me being mixed race and saying equality for all and all peoples lives matter is somehow wrong, then I don't know what to say.

I repeat, I'm mixed race, I've had multiple racist things happen to me, from white people, and more racsim from black people towards me.. Being mixed race has seen me get hate from all sides at various times, and asking or saying all lives matters is perfectly okay.

If you guys want to take offence at that then fine.

This place has gone to the dogs and seems to have lost all sense of perspective.
Hmmm, for a mixed race man, you sure have a history of asking how racism impacts you as a white person?

Sorry to quote my own post,anyone have any thoughts on what I've experienced as a white person?
Why oh why could you pretend to be mixed race now? Hmm...

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
I'm not making any kind of "counter protest" though! I'm saying that all peoples lives matter, simple. I'm not diluting anything. Black lives matter, the whole thing is very important, I know this first hand..

Guys, I'm mixed race, and I know what racism feels like from both sides. Ive made some half arsed posts on a thread today where people are looking for the slightest thing to pile on and attack... Well I served that up well on a plate for everone didn't I.

This place is more insane by the day.. Be interesting to know how many of you having a go at me are black or mixed race too then? How many of you have been hassled by cops and by white and black people in racist attacks? Well I have, and I don't need you guys giving me hassle here because I simply say all lives matter. I have family out protesting right now too, and I asked them not to go because of covid, and possibly catching it.. so I'm worried about their health right now too.

Respect to everyone, but this place is just too much.
All lives matter is a counter protest to black lives matter, that's just a fact. You wrote all lives matter in a thread about protests surrounding the violence committed towards people of color, yet you expect to not be called up on it?
If you don't understand that writing all lives matter is supporting anti-protesting black lives matter then just admit that, learn it and move on.

Multiple people in here have responded and explained with multiple examples why this "all lives matter" thing is a terrible thing to communicate with the past and current history of the world, and especially the topic at hand. You've not acknowledged it but assumed the position of a victim of bullying. It isn't bullying, it's an attempt to rectify your view if it is misinformed as we can all be wrong and learn, or clarify your stance if you already understand how your position is rightfully being perceived when you write what you do.

Last edited:
Reactions: Grinner

Ludens the Red

I'm not making any kind of "counter protest" though! I'm saying that all peoples lives matter, simple. I'm not diluting anything. Black lives matter, the whole thing is very important, I know this first hand..

Guys, I'm mixed race, and I know what racism feels like from both sides. Ive made some half arsed posts on a thread today where people are looking for the slightest thing to pile on and attack... Well I served that up well on a plate for everone didn't I.

This place is more insane by the day.. Be interesting to know how many of you having a go at me are black or mixed race too then? How many of you have been hassled by cops and by white and black people in racist attacks? Well I have, and I don't need you guys giving me hassle here because I simply say all lives matter. I have family out protesting right now too, and I asked them not to go because of covid, and possibly catching it.. so I'm worried about their health right now too.

Respect to everyone, but this place is just too much.
It’s difficult to give you the benefit of doubt when for the past week and a half the whole “all lives matter” business has been thrown around by the mostly ignorant section of society. It’s been condemned left, right and centre.
It is very difficult to somehow believe that you weren’t aware of the connotations when you said “all lives matter”. Also not sure what relevance your race plays here to be honest.

Edit-
Great find @Wumminator

@Man of Steel pretending to be half black is a new low. Another one bites the dust.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Maybe this brief description of a few of my experiences are an example of racism towards white people in the UK? I found that the many times I've been racially abused in my life (as a white British male) has come with threats of violence too or with actual violent acts towards me. So the fact that being called a white c*** etc and to get out of "our" area white bas**** or similar hate was quite horrible, I did get over those things being said to me, but the fact that threats or violence accompanied those things being said obviously elevated it to not just having things roll off my back or whatever the saying is. Being in England and having those things said to me does hurt and trouble me quite a bit though.

I've been lucky on 2 or 3 occasions to not have been seriously hurt or killed just for being a white guy.
Famous mixed race poster @Man of Steel talking about getting racist abuse for being a white man before...

Castia

Just seen the pictures of Manchester’s protest....wow.

Over 15k on the streets, gridlock from the gardens down to market street. I get the cause and we need change but this is a disaster that will probably cost lives.

Sparky Rhiwabon

Just seen the pictures of Manchester’s protest....wow.

Over 15k on the streets, gridlock from the gardens down to market street. I get the cause and we need change but this is a disaster that will probably cost lives.
It won’t make a blind bit of difference to Covid - most seem to be wearing face coverings and it’s outside. Racism is a pandemic that the world has been fighting for centuries. Please stop deflecting attention!

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
It's the thought that counts, it really is

How many of you would risk being charged with false charges, or risk injury from rubber bullet, or corona, just to protest this great injustice?

I would think 2-3 times to be fair, so I would raise my hat on those that are actually out there, even if they took a pic here and there for keepsake.
Going to a protest is different, what I think that guy was talking about seems to be just walking through his neighbourhood living his daily life. The thought counting is the absolute bare minimum, like if I were to put a number on it, it would be less than 1% of dealing with racial problems.

I don't want to come off as holier-than-thou, I'm not at a protest myself and there's far more I have to learn about being Black in Western culture. From my own experiences, friends and friends of friends have opened my eyes to the experiences of Black people.

While I don't want to bash any white people protesting because they are risking themselves by being out there, what they do after is just as important. It's very easy as an 18-21 year old to get swept up in these causes because protesting seems cool but then they return back to their white circles, reading the opinions of left-wing white writers and never truly learning how messed up the system is.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
@Man of Steel
Actually went and deleted his posts after he was called out for lying about being mixed race & assuming the role of a victim after being called on on racist shit. Good thing the quotes are still around.

I hope you are banned, but beyond that I hope you grow the feck up and try to change the hatred in your heart.

Zoo

Kicking off in Whitehall on Sky News. Hopefully nobody gets seriously hurt.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
What? I genuinely didn't know about that being coopted with a racist slant to shut down anything! I mean it as equality for all, not to be racist. All lives matter, simple.

This place is way over the top.. Just like what is happening in London right now..
You knew. You even lied about being mixed race, claimed to be a victim of bullying and said that this place is over the top in just about every post you write.

You are being absurd.

Lebowski

Sometimes saying all lives matter or similar means just that, all lives matter, without the extra ad ons.. The human race needs equality for men, women, black and white and everything in between.
Apologies if this has been posted before, but as well as being incredibly moving, the below video should give you a bit of an idea about how tonally problematic talking about "all lives matter" comes across at the moment.