Gaming PS5 vs Xbox Series S|X

Which do you think will release first?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ainu

Is this the point where all the console users suddenly care about high framerates or only when it fits the narrative. :lol:
Fundamental console owner reasoning: does my console does thing X better than its main competitor? If yes, it's the most important thing on the planet. If not, it's irrelevant.

Ainu

2 was good, 3 was awful, never played 1 but it was widely recognised as a mediocre game that paved the way for the much better sequel.
Widely recognised as mediocre? No, absolutely not. It launched to critical acclaim on the Xbox 360. I remember immediately falling in love with it when I first fired it up back then. It was a fantastic game for its time. Yeah there were some complaints like the planet exploration and clunky inventory system but they were minor in the grand scheme of things. It's still a fine game even now, especially its Noveria and Feros sequences which are highlights for the entire series. I also felt they never quite managed to match the first game's Citadel.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
2 was good, 3 was awful, never played 1 but it was widely recognised as a mediocre game that paved the way for the much better sequel.
That's a pretty odd take. 89 on Metacritic with a user score of 8.6 is mediocre? A lot of people still rank it as the best of the 3 as an RPG and story wise, too. It was far less polished than 2 and 3 but still superior in a lot of ways.

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
All 3 games are great IMO

Very much looking forward to this release. I only ever played them once each when they were initially released

3 gets a hard time for the ending, but the game itself was really good

Balljy

We'll probably see some new footage at E3. It'll be Halo and Forza though.

b82REZ

That's a pretty odd take. 89 on Metacritic with a user score of 8.6 is mediocre? A lot of people still rank it as the best of the 3 as an RPG and story wise, too. It was far less polished than 2 and 3 but still superior in a lot of ways.
Thought this thread was all about winding up the noisy neighbours.

Whoop, a 15 year (mediocre) game at 120 fps.
Next they'll be claiming the collection as 3 separate games just to help bump up their game library.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

*But I'm sure gamepass is more valuable than exclusives, who needs new games anyway?

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Something that should be obvious despite the fanboys protests. Look at Netflix and Spotify's history.

Microsoft are still putting loads of discount deals out and making moneyhats while their first party offering is... lacking at the moment. Microsoft can afford to haemorrhage it for years with the amount of profit they make overall as a company, and I don't think it'll be until well after GP is on all devices and the subscription prices go up that they will be making a profit.

It isn't something that Nintendo or Sony can afford to do, and they don't need to with the success of their games.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
I'm a PC gamer. I've never played a Halo game in my life but I do like Gamepass for PC. I just found it funny that the game you were on about is being moaned about for game breaking crashes.
It’s a shame Returnal is running into a few issues because it really is a wonderful game (that said I’ve had no crashes and I think that is limited to a very small minority of players).

Fully Fledged

It’s a shame Returnal is running into a few issues because it really is a wonderful game (that said I’ve had no crashes and I think that is limited to a very small minority of players).
Really I hope it's a good game and that they work out the bugs. I also hope that Xbox fixes the graphics on Halo and that the remake of Total War Rome that I am downloading is as good as I remember from back in the day. We are all gamers after all it shouldn't matter what platform we play on we should all want it to be a great experience as It forces our platforms studios to up their game.

afrocentricity

I'm a PC gamer. I've never played a Halo game in my life but I do like Gamepass for PC. I just found it funny that the game you were on about is being moaned about for game breaking crashes.
Well coming from PC you must be more than familiar with games being a bit buggy at launch. Nothing a few patches can't sort out I'm sure.

Personally I can't wait to play it but I'm holding for a price drop...

We are all gamers after all it shouldn't matter what platform we play on we should all want it to be a great experience
Think you're in the wrong thread mate, this is the versus thread. Take that flowery shit elsewhere...

Fully Fledged

Well coming from PC you must be more than familiar with games being a bit buggy at launch. Nothing a few patches can't sort out I'm sure.

Personally I can't wait to play it but I'm waiting for a price drop...
I am. I wish it wasn't the case but nearly all studios release broken games now that need a day one patch to fix.

Shamwow

listens to shit music & watches Mrs Brown's Boys

Personally I can't wait to play it but I'm holding for a price drop...
Look at all these exclusives I'm too broke to play. Woo isn't gaming fun.

afrocentricity

Look at all these exclusives I'm too broke to play. Woo isn't gaming fun.
There's always gamepass (TM)

I am. I wish it wasn't the case but nearly all studios release broken games now that need a day one patch to fix.
I barely get games at launch so luckily I don't run into that issue much. I get it though, must be frustrating, especially after dropping 70 quid.

afrocentricity

@Bojan11's untimely death means we no longer have anyone to comb resetera for scandalous content... So I'll do that today:

Thanks to @random0_point for finding and translating this.
random0_point said:
A former 343i employee (Skybox Artist) shared some insight on Halo Infinite. (video is in mandarin, so I tried to translate his words into English)
  • His overall feeling on Halo Infinite: "In fact, I think the finished product will still be great. The story is a big improvement, and the gameplay is much richer, though the development cycle is too long. Don't expect it to be an epoch-making masterpiece."
  • The company executives were overly ambitious. They wanted to make Halo Infinite a semi-open world game, so the engine needed to be changed significantly. They had to make the game and develop the engine at the same time (Due to engine defects, many workflows were not ideal, though they are now much more improved than before).
  • Last year's disastrous demo was because many engine features were not fully implemented at that time.
  • For a variety of reasons, the game content compared to the original idea has been cut (same for multiplayer). "This has led to some things I've made over the years that no one will probably ever see."
  • The team at 343 (especially the low-level employees) works very hard, and many of them have experienced working overtime until the early hours of the morning in the past few years. (Crunch confirmed :(
  • Now he works at Certain Affinity, still doing some HI outsourcing work, and he feels good to be out of 343's baggage.
Source:
我如何進入343 又為何離開 - 回顧 10 年的遊戲美術生涯_哔哩哔哩 (゜-゜)つロ 干杯~-bilibili (around 10:00 time stamp)
https://www.resetera.com/threads/fo...h-game-over-ambitious-cut-content-etc.421451/

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Fundamental console owner reasoning: does my console does thing X better than its main competitor? If yes, it's the most important thing on the planet. If not, it's irrelevant.
Unfortunately ps5 owners haven’t experienced this

Shamwow

Too busy experiencing next gen games, rather than 360 games with better framerates.
Except you're not because you're scared to today for some reason.

It is a shame I pretty much can only play this game at weekend. I can't risk getting into a good run and not be able to use my PlayStation all week.

b82REZ

Except you're not because you're scared to today for some reason.
Except I am though.

Just can't play in the week because of work.

I suppose the thought of losing progress on a 15 year old game you've probably already finished is less daunting though.

Shamwow

Just can't play in the week because of work.
Why would work stop you from playing a well designed game on a well designed console for 5 days of the week. Can't you just quick resume or something? I do Dead Cells progress on my lunch break.

b82REZ

Why would work stop you from playing a well designed game on a well designed console for 5 days of the week. Can't you just quick resume or something? I do Dead Cells progress on my lunch break.
My work are very strict about midweek gaming.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
I played a bit of MLB: The Show last night with one of my PS5 owning mates. Worked quite well, surprisingly.

It'd be really nice if that was a usual thing as then we could all live in peace and harmony, etc.

Yes, he expressed dismay at having to pay £450 for the game when we got it 'free' on GamePass.

Shamwow

I played a bit of MLB: The Show last night with one of my PS5 owning mates. Worked quite well, surprisingly.

It'd be really nice if that was a usual thing as then we could all live in peace and harmony, etc.

Yes, he expressed dismay at having to pay £450 for the game when we got it 'free' on GamePass.
I bet you were nice to him about it though and said something like "yeah but that controller is super cool bro" and then fist bumped.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Today is a sad day. After being a Sony boy since PS1 and Tekken, I've just stumbled over the news that Hellblade 2, the sequel to one of my favourite games of recent times is X Box / PC exclusive. THis coupled with the probability of Elder Scrolls 6 being X Box / PC exclusive is making me think the unthinkable ... brand loyalty will only take me so far.