Gaming PS5 vs Xbox Series S|X

Which do you think will release first?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
I had game pass on PC for a year thanks to all those loopholes and had exhausted everything I wanted to play within a few months. After that once I copped that every other game on it or added that was worth playing was one I'd already played before, I decided not to renew.

Gamepass is great if you have the nostalgia factor and want to play older games or maybe aren't a heavy gamer and didn't play all those great games when they first came out, but it's far from the brilliant service it's hyped up to be for someone who actually wants to play newer games when they are out. And as a next gen service, it's very lacking right now, there is feck all on it that actually pushes the power of the Series X.
This is true tbh. I enjoy the variety of games it offers but a big reason is because I didn't play them when they were first released.

I also enjoy the fact I don't have to keep up with the latest games. It doesn't suit my automatic response to dislike whatever's popular.

Balljy

I'd argue the Tories aren't better for the majority of people - would you argue against that using the election results too?
Whether you like it or not, consoles for most people are about exclusives as the reality is that 3rd party games can be played on both so the only real differentiation is the quality of the exclusives.

Game Pass does bring another factor into play and I get the argument that for somebody who skipped the last generation Xbox is better value for money. Considering the sales of the last gen that won't be a gigantic number of people though. Series S would be a good choice for those people to get through the backlog though.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Whether you like it or not, consoles for most people are about exclusives as the reality is that 3rd party games can be played on both so the only real differentiation is the quality of the exclusives.

Game Pass does bring another factor into play and I get the argument that for somebody who skipped the last generation Xbox is better value for money. Considering the sales of the last gen that won't be a gigantic number of people though. Series S would be a good choice for those people to get through the backlog though.
This makes more sense than the last post. But I still disagree about the first sentence. To me at least, a lot of folk seem to be entrenched in their consoles, build up groups or friends within their networks and so are reluctant to leave. Hell, one of the main reasons I jumped back into consoles with the Xbox was because of squad of my old mates had stayed loyal. Before then I was PC for a generation whenever time allowed, with a spare PS3 kicking about.

I think honestly it's less about the exclusives with the majority of players, and that's something no-one on the side of the PS5 seems to get. Take a look at the most played games. They are the same 3rd-party games over and over again, year on year. Most people don't care that much about exclusives, they just want something to play one of those games with their mates. They will stick to the side all their mates are on, or folk they know virtually.

All I'm saying is that Gamepass represents better value for these people, the majority, rather than the PS5 exclusives.

Bosws87

This makes more sense than the last post. But I still disagree about the first sentence. To me at least, a lot of folk seem to be entrenched in their consoles, build up groups or friends within their networks and so are reluctant to leave. Hell, one of the main reasons I jumped back into consoles with the Xbox was because of squad of my old mates had stayed loyal. Before then I was PC for a generation whenever time allowed, with a spare PS3 kicking about.

I think honestly it's less about the exclusives with the majority of players, and that's something no-one on the side of the PS5 seems to get. Take a look at the most played games. They are the same 3rd-party games over and over again, year on year. Most people don't care that much about exclusives, they just want something to play one of those games with their mates. They will stick to the side all their mates are on, or folk they know virtually.

All I'm saying is that Gamepass represents better value for these people, the majority, rather than the PS5 exclusives.
Ahh yeh people don't care, that's why Microsoft spent $7.5 billion to secure more exclusive games, how stupid of them.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Take a look at the most played games. They are the same 3rd-party games over and over again, year on year.
Yes. It's released on multiple consoles and sometimes PC, and then throw in crossplay... Of course.

Could you imagine if it was an exclusive? That would be crazy...

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!

It's not true, though. Look at the biggest selling PS4 games. 10 of the top 20 are exclusives and the rest are COD, FIFA or Rockstar games which you wouldn't get on Gamepass for years, or ever.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_PlayStation_4_video_games

Also look at Nintendo, they've sold consoles based on their exclusives for years. Their top 20 is pretty much all exclusives:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_Nintendo_Switch_video_games

Balljy

Yeah, I should have actually looked at the table in the first post. I had my vaccine yesterday and was up most of last night feeling rough :lol:

If that were the case about exclusives MS wouldn't have spent billions to get them in 2 or 3 years. As a well run business they know where their issue lay for the last decade or so and are looking to resolve it. It's also why Sony haven't changed their way of working hugely because having exclusives brings in the people.

It's been noticeable even at the start of this gen that there's been a load of noise about Xbox and fairly negative news about Sony. Recently the production line has started and Sony are beginning to trundle out the games - this is what has and will sell them consoles as people look at the releases and buy into their ecosystem.

I have no real loyalty to either, but have been Sony for the last couple of generations due to not wanting to miss out. When MS start releasing theirs they may have a similar response and it would be good if they do manage that.

Finally people will obviously want to play the next edition of their favourite last gen games, so I don't know why you think exclusives aren't important? Having built up their brand is going to keep people loyal to Sony and that's what MS have to try and emulate, but from scratch now.

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves
This must be personal preference in gaming or a fan boys defence of Xbox as there are some amazing exclusives on PS.

I'm not into the PS v Xbox war either, I managed to get both new gen consoles so I don't miss anything. Both great machines!
That's strange because I typed in "best Microsoft exclusives" and got "404 Page Not Found".
If i take out forza (granted its a great game) since the release of the Xbox One (November 2013)

Quick scan scoring over 85 on metacritic/opencritic (may of missed a few just know off the top my head what is/not exclusive)

i get a grand total of

ori will of wisp
ori blind forest
titanfall
Halo master chief collection

4 games in 8 years. (there is 5 forza's ranked above 85 in the same period)

Spin it how you want, PS5 has 4 already.
:lol: keyboard warriors in defending straight away. I have already stated the genres are not to my taste and the exclusives don’t draw me in. It is indeed personal taste.

I also did not say anything about loving or hating any Xbox games. All my mates are on Xbox, I game with them and that is why I’m still on Xbox. What I am saying however is even after being PlayStation up until 3, then purchasing a PS4 - nothing brought be back in enough.

so quit your vendettas and defences, I’ve always made it clear it’s personal - nothing against Sony or Microsoft - it’s basically the value and enjoyment I get is more from Xbox.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
:lol: keyboard warriors in defending straight away. I have already stated the genres are not to my taste and the exclusives don’t draw me in. It is indeed personal taste.

I also did not say anything about loving or hating any Xbox games. All my mates are on Xbox, I game with them and that is why I’m still on Xbox. What I am saying however is even after being PlayStation up until 3, then purchasing a PS4 - nothing brought be back in enough.

so quit your vendettas and defences, I’ve always made it clear it’s personal - nothing against Sony or Microsoft - it’s basically the value and enjoyment I get is more from Xbox.
You’re a wolf in sheep’s clothing.

altodevil

It's not true, though. Look at the biggest selling PS4 games. 10 of the top 20 are exclusives and the rest are COD, FIFA or Rockstar games which you wouldn't get on Gamepass for years, or ever.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_PlayStation_4_video_games

Also look at Nintendo, they've sold consoles based on their exclusives for years. Their top 20 is pretty much all exclusives:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_Nintendo_Switch_video_games
https://www.truetrophies.com/n19506/playstation-gameplay-chart-ps-monthly-games-make-major-impact

Massive Spanner

altodevil

What the feck is this, one selective week of sales vs overtime lifetime sales I showed you?

Your argument is daft. Exclusives have been proven over and over to sell consoles, and are always amongst the highest selling games on them, It's why MS are spending billions and billions to get exclusives going forward, because they know they have to to compete.
It's not sales at all - it is gameplay. Which is a far better indicator of what people play, over what they spend money on.

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
That article saying those who own game pass play more games, spend more etc could just as easily be written as

Those who like to play more games, have a tendency to spend more on gaming, and who have a wider preference for playing different types of games, are also more likely to pay extra for a game pass subscription

The point here is, they are describing correlational relationships but insinuating that buying games pass causes those behaviors.

Just to be clear, I think games pass at current prices is a no brainer for gamers with an Xbox.

To properly test the potential causality, the methodology should not be comparing those with and without games pass. It should be looking at a group who all have game pass and whom all paid the same amount for it but whom have otherwise a range of differences in the other named factors such as income, time to play, genre preference etc.

Bosws87

It's not sales at all - it is gameplay. Which is a far better indicator of what people play, over what they spend money on.
Yes every game is a competitive multiplayer or an MMORPG, no such thing as a single player game that is absolutely amazing but you might only run through it twice.

Massive Spanner

They're all multiplayer games. Multiplayer games will naturally have more hours played than single player games that people will only play for a limited amount of time. That's just simple logic, unlike your logic which so far is;

- Majority of people want to play on Microsoft, despite majority of people buying anything but a Microsoft
- Exclusives don't matter, despite exclusives being amongst highest selling games and their consoles selling much more
- Playtime of gamepass is what matters most, despite all the games on your list being f2p, multiplayer games that don't need gamepass or aren't on it

I mean... :lol:

altodevil

They're all multiplayer games. Multiplayer games will naturally have more hours played than single player games that people will only play for a limited amount of time. That's just simple logic, unlike your logic which so far is;

- Majority of people want to play on Microsoft, despite majority of people buying anything but a Microsoft
- Exclusives don't matter, despite exclusives being amongst highest selling games and their consoles selling much more
- Playtime of gamepass is what matters most, despite all the games on your list being f2p, multiplayer games that don't need gamepass or aren't on it

I mean... :lol:
What is your last point referring to?

Massive Spanner

What is your last point referring to?
you're trying to claim that MS suits the majority of people better because it has gamepass, despite your own chart there proving that most games at the top of playtime lists are f2p games you don't need any sort of subscription like gamepass to play or can't be gotten on it. You've basically disproven your own point. Or are you trying to say MS is a better place to play those games, because that's also highly debatable.

altodevil

you're trying to claim that MS suits the majority of people better because it has gamepass, despite your own chart there proving that most games at the top of playtime lists are f2p games you don't need any sort of subscription like gamepass to play or can't be gotten on it. You've basically disproven your own point. Or are you trying to say MS is a better place to play those games, because that's also highly debatable.
That wasn't my point at all. I think gamepass suits the majority of console owners - who clearly mostly play these games - because it offers a huge variety of other games they can easily dip in and out off without spending more than a cup of coffee a month. They can play Xbox exclusives when and if they desire, whereas on the playstation they will require substantial purchases. When exclusives aren't the main draw, rather 3rd-party multiplayer games, Xbox makes the most sense for these people.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
That wasn't my point at all. I think gamepass suits the majority of console owners - who clearly mostly play these games - because it offers a huge variety of other games they can easily dip in and out off without spending more than a cup of coffee a month. They can play Xbox exclusives when and if they desire, whereas on the playstation they will require substantial purchases. When exclusives aren't the main draw, rather 3rd-party multiplayer games, Xbox makes the most sense for these people.
But they have access to PS Now which gives access to most of the same games, and some past PS exclusives.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
The thing I got from that is "Beyond Good and Evil 2 is still very very early in development.". Hasn't it been in development for about 3 or 4 years now?

I really, really want that game, but they're obviously having issues at the moment unfortunately.
Yeah, guess they went back to the drawing board.

A reply to the thread

If Starfield is still so far off it could mean Elder Scrolls is sooner than we think. Maybe ES will be the 2021 fall title while Starfield is still in mid development.
And Schreier's response

Massive Spanner

But you're still wrong. Most of those games are either f2p or not on Gamepass! Aka if you don't want to buy them, gamepass is not a viable place to get them. If that chart was for the Xbox I guarantee feck all Gamepass games would even be on it, maybe Sea of Thieves, which is again, a multiplayer based game. Your article made no sense in the context of what you are failing to prove.

To be fair I think you're just on a WUM anyway because the logic is so dumb, it has to be.

altodevil

But you're still wrong. Most of those games are either f2p or not on Gamepass! Aka if you don't want to buy them, gamepass is not a viable place to get them. If that chart was for the Xbox I guarantee feck all Gamepass games would even be on it, maybe Sea of Thieves, which is again, a multiplayer based game. Your article made no sense in the context of what you are failing to prove.

To be fair I think you're just on a WUM anyway because the logic is so dumb, it has to be.
I think maybe you are just struggling to understand what I'm saying. Because you are conflating things once more.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
This is the dumbest reasoning around. It assumes everyone has access to a high-end PC. When it isn't the case. Far from it.
Returnal is exclusive to PS5. If it was available to buy on PC it would not be an exclusive. Ergo, Xbox has no exclusives.
so 60% of the games aren’t on gamepass. Which is a majority. Which is what @Massive Spanner said

Massive Spanner

"If that chart was for the Xbox I guarantee feck all Gamepass games would even be on it "
It only proves my point, the top 10 are basically like for like with the PS5. F2P or non game pass multiplayer games. Gamepass is a wonderful service, but very few people would pick a series X over a PS5 in order to have it, sales of both consoles have proven that. It's simply not a system seller, however it definitely could be in a few years if Microsoft start churning out proper AAA exclusives on to it, which again, shows the importance of exclusives. At some point I do expect the Series X to become a much more attractive proposition vs a PS5 but that will largely be due to big franchises like Bethesda and Kojima making exclusives for it, not gamepass as it currently is.

Right now, for the majority of gamers, who like to play popular multiplayer games with their mates and spend money on the odd quality single player game, gamepass is fairly irrelevant.

Bosws87

It only proves my point, the top 10 are basically like for like with the PS5. F2P or non game pass multiplayer games. Gamepass is a wonderful service, but very few people would pick a series X over a PS5 in order to have it, sales of both consoles have proven that. It's simply not a system seller, however it definitely could be in a few years if Microsoft start churning out proper AAA exclusives on to it, which again, shows the importance of exclusives.
The best thing about this whole gamepass service is if it does take off and become great with solid microsoft exclusives, Sony could straight rip it off tomorrow and their line up would be superior instantly.

altodevil

It only proves my point, the top 10 are basically like for like with the PS5. F2P or non game pass multiplayer games. Gamepass is a wonderful service, but very few people would pick a series X over a PS5 in order to have it, sales of both consoles have proven that. It's simply not a system seller, however it definitely could be in a few years if Microsoft start churning out proper AAA exclusives on to it, which again, shows the importance of exclusives. At some point I do expect the Series X to become a much more attractive proposition vs a PS5 but that will largely be due to big franchises like Bethesda and Kojima making exclusives for it, not gamepass as it currently is.
Agree with most of this besides the exclusives - which perhaps might partly explain why I plumped for Xbox!

altodevil

The best thing about this whole gamepass service is if it does take off and become great with solid microsoft exclusives, Sony could straight rip it off tomorrow and their line up would be superior instantly.
Gamepass isn't just about the games.