Gaming PS5 vs Xbox Series S|X

Which do you think will release first?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Nobody is arguing that good games etc. didn't bring people to Playstation, it's just not the only reason. A poster above essentially said the only reason Playstation is more popular is because of the better games, which is clearly untrue.
It's not really though. Sony don't have brand loyalty because of the logo, they have brand loyalty because of the video games that have been on their consoles. It's literally been the main difference between their consoles and others. The only time they released a console with problems, the PS3, that loyalty went right out the window then and it only caught back up when, you guessed it, they started to bring out great exclusives.

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
You're contradicting yourself. The PS3 caught up with the 360 because of exclusives and Sony attoning for earlier pricing mistakes and issues, not brand loyalty, as you claim in other posts.

Loyalty only gets you so far with consoles. Nintendo have the best brand loyalty of all and when they released a stupid console like the Wii U it still sold like shit
No I am saying that it would take a disaster (such as PS3 launch) to give the Xbox a lead over Sony in global sales, due to the brand loyalty and share of mind they've built up.

Yes. If they release the next console a lot later, for a lot more money, with a lot less games from the roster of studios they have built up - their brand loyalty will count for little and Microsoft may well be able to edge them unless/until they get their act together.

If you actually read my posts, I've been consistent in that. I 'absolutely' agreed that the games they have released played a big part reaffirming their position as the leading brand.

lilcurt

On a lighter note. The funny thing is with threads like this is that the majority of us all debating this are adults who can afford both consoles of they so wish.

I know if Starfield has depth and is supported by a few other exclusive top tier IP's in a year or two I'll dip in a purchase an Xbox as well.

Massive Spanner

No I am saying that it would take a disaster (such as PS3 launch) to give the Xbox a lead over Sony in global sales, due to the brand loyalty and share of mind they've built up.

Yes. If they release the next console a lot later, for a lot more money, with a lot less games from the roster of studios they have built up - their brand loyalty will count for little and Microsoft may well be able to edge them unless/until they get their act together.

If you actually read my posts, I've been consistent in that. I 'absolutely' agreed that the games they have released played a big part reaffirming their position as the leading brand.
And I'm saying brand loyalty counts for piss when it comes to video games. People will buy the console with the best games for the best price. It's been proven time and time again. Don't only have that so called brand loyalty because they've been releasing the console with the best games at a good price. The only time they failed to do that was the PS3 launch and they lost loads of sales as a result.

lilcurt

And I'm saying brand loyalty counts for piss when it comes to video games. People will buy the console with the best games for the best price. It's been proven time and time again. Don't only have that so called brand loyalty because they've been releasing the console with the best games at a good price. The only time they failed to do that was the PS3 launch and they lost loads of sales as a result.
To support your argument, Nintendo has perhaps the highest brand loyalty in the industry. It meant nothing when the Wii U missed the mark so badly.

Alock1

And I'm saying brand loyalty counts for piss when it comes to video games. People will buy the console with the best games for the best price. It's been proven time and time again. Don't only have that so called brand loyalty because they've been releasing the console with the best games.
If there's a big, obvious disparity then yeah of course. But all things being equal or relatively close, at a base level it makes a huge difference.

Will have to agree to disagree because we're going in circles.

Alock1

To support your argument, Nintendo has perhaps the highest brand loyalty in the industry. It meant nothing when the Wii U missed the mark so badly.
The Wii U was a disaster from Nintendo.

I didn't say it was impossible and that brand loyalty is impenetrable. I said it would require a huge feck up on Sony's part to give Xbox the lead again, especially Globally (as power of brand loyalty isn't equal in all parts of the world)

lilcurt

The Wii U was a disaster from Nintendo.

I didn't say it was impossible and that brand loyalty is impenetrable. I said it would require a huge feck up on Sony's part to give Xbox the lead again, especially Globally (as power of brand loyalty isn't equal in all parts of the world)
I disagree, gamers will go where the great experiences are.

I joke about Gamepass a lot but if Microsoft could pair that service with exclusive releases at the frequency and quality of Sony then they could turn the tide. The biggest issue I see now is that of the two pillars, the exclusive library available is the difficult aspect to achieve. Realistically it would take much for Sony to compete with Gamepass, something I think they will do when they feel their marketshare needs that little boost. Could you imagine in a few years, every PlayStation exclusive ever being available to play on PS5.

Alock1

I disagree, gamers will go where the great experiences are.

I joke about Gamepass a lot but if Microsoft could pair that service with exclusive releases at the frequency and quality of Sony then they could turn the tide. The biggest issue I see now is that of the two pillars, the exclusive library available is the difficult aspect to achieve. Realistically it would take much for Sony to compete with Gamepass, something I think they will do when they feel their marketshare needs that little boost. Could you imagine in a few years, every PlayStation exclusive ever being available to play on PS5.
Xbox will release exclusives at a pretty staggering frequency once they are able to align studios and they have them all on the right path and scheduled as part of a first party content calendar (2023 earliest, might be 2024 before we really see it)
. Have to consider game development timelines and also the existing projects and contracts that studios were already working on + COVID impact + the need for some studios to ramp up scale after acquisition. They'll gain ground as a result over the gen but won't become the leader.

I guess you can play most Ps exclusives on PS5 really, its only PS3 that you can't and a lot of those you can already stream via PS NOW which will remain.

If Sony commit to putting all historical exclusives on PS Now as downloadable (minus PS3), all new exclusives day 1 and put significant marketing budget behind it, they'll get to the 20 million subscriber number that Xbox are at within 12-18 months I expect (probably quicker).

Alock1

I’d actually love for Sony to bring all their back catalogue into one place. Sadly will never happen, especially not with Ryan in charge.
I think what they have on PS Now plus all PS4/PS5 exclusives would be enough for huge subscriber numbers to be honest.

Generally though, they have a longer, larger and more complex back cat than Xbox so it wouldn't be easy to get everything. Even Xbox it's select 360 and original Xbox titles and there's a lot of barriers due to licenses that didn't really have forwards compatibility in mind.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Yeah, nothing at all to do with the 7 years of Playstation before Xbox even came into existence.
More to do with them obliterating them in the last generation with the quality of exclusives.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Nah. PS3 released later, had terrible stock issues, a lack of exclusives in early years and a horrendous pricing. Nevermind the feature parity issues. And yet by the end of the gen Sony still overtook MS in sales.

If anything that shows the power of brand loyalty and share of mind. An incredible feck up by Sony and they still gained the ground.

As I said earlier, would take a disaster from Sony for Xbox to sell more, especially Globally. In the UK/USA, maybe Xbox could edge it, but elsewhere & overall - would be incredibly hard.
Nah. XBox 'allowed' that to happen. They stopped bringing out big games and doubled down on kinect for the last 2 years. Of course that let Sony back in the game.

Probably burns to this day, hence their reluctance to get into peripherals again. Doubt we'll see a VR solution for them this generation... They found their hook, gamepass, and that's what they'll double down on going forward. They are miles away from the XBox of that generation right now.

b82REZ

There are multiple examples that prove brand loyalty means feck all. It's such a lazy excuse for MS poor numbers.

At the end of the 360 era, MS had a huge hold over the Western market and they completely threw it all away with the Bone and the attempts at killing the used game market.

They've succeeded with the second point this gen with Gamepass, as it's a much more palatable way of doing it for your average consumer. However I still have concerns over the DRM and long term accessibility to those titles.

What has won the GAMING console war has always been the GAMES believe it or not. No matter how much the rabid Xboners try and make excuses, until MS start churning out big titles that aren't just tired reskins of games that were popular two generations a go they'll always be behind. By 2023 they may have their system seller in Starfield but they're putting an awful lot of their eggs in the Bethesda basket at the moment.

Conor

Of course brand loyalty means nothing if the product is a steaming pile of shit. The sky is also blue. The point is that brand loyalty will come into play when things are more level, i.e. it would take an absolutely incredible Xbox experience to bring people over from Playstation, if the Playstation experience is still good. You can't honestly be claiming that one of the most provable consumer purchasing concepts just doesn't apply to video games?

b82REZ

Of course brand loyalty means nothing if the product is a steaming pile of shit. The sky is also blue. The point is that brand loyalty will come into play when things are more level, i.e. it would take an absolutely incredible Xbox experience to bring people over from Playstation, if the Playstation experience is still good. You can't honestly be claiming that one of the most provable consumer purchasing concepts just doesn't apply to video games?
But Xbox had parity at the end of the 360 era and they pissed it away because of their own hubris.

Massive Spanner

But things aren't level, that's my whole point. Sony have a much better back catalogue, better launch titles, the hype behind the dual sense, and the fact that so many people were already subscribed to ps plus and playing online with their pals on the PS4 (and that's not brand loyalty, either, that's using the platform your friends use). If Microsoft had all those things then it would've been a much more equal launch.

It's been proven time and time again that brand loyalty means feck all with video games.

Conor

But things aren't level, that's my whole point. Sony have a much better back catalogue, better launch titles, the hype behind the dual sense, and the fact that so many people were already subscribed to ps plus and playing online with their pals on the PS4 (and that's not brand loyalty, either, that's using the platform your friends use). If Microsoft had all those things then it would've been a much more equal launch.

It's been proven time and time again that brand loyalty means feck all with video games.
Do you have examples of this, aside from the kind of invalid Wii U one(as I said, if something is shit, it's shit). Everyone in this thread seems to be very big into games(it is a gaming thread after all), I would say you are part of the vocal minority to some extent. From my own anecdotal experience, I know an absolute shit load of people that have a console, basically none of them care about all of these single player, exclusive titles that proper gaming nerds care about, the Playstation people buy Playstations every single generation, even though they are playing titles that release on both consoles.

They do it because they have owned a Playstation since they were 5 years old, that is brand loyalty. How you can say that having that time in the market advantage doesn't contribute at all to the PlayStation dominance is madness, in my opinion. Some of these people bought 360s at launch and had them for a while, and then just switched back to Playstation when the prices dropped. They would even acknowledge that the online experience for Playstation at the time was way worse than the 360, but they didn't care, Playstation was what they liked, and they wanted that continuity. That would ring true for a mountain of casual gamers, who probably buy FIFA and CoD most years and nothing else. There is 100% a sizable chunk of consumers that care more about the fact that there is a Playstation in their living room, with the UI and UX associated with it, including stuff like controller feel, over the fact that they are getting the latest exclusive Japanese RPG where you get to live the life of a dog on Mars.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Hold up... noone cares about "these single player, exclusive titles that proper gaming nerds care about"?

TLOU 1/2
Uncharted
GoW
Horizon
Spiderman 1/MM
FFantasy
GTurismo
GoTsusima
Etc.......

"No one cares"

b82REZ

Do you have examples of this, aside from the kind of invalid Wii U one(as I said, if something is shit, it's shit). Everyone in this thread seems to be very big into games(it is a gaming thread after all), I would say you are part of the vocal minority to some extent. From my own anecdotal experience, I know an absolute shit load of people that have a console, basically none of them care about all of these single player, exclusive titles that proper gaming nerds care about, the Playstation people buy Playstations every single generation, even though they are playing titles that release on both consoles.

They do it because they have owned a Playstation since they were 5 years old, that is brand loyalty. How you can say that having that time in the market advantage doesn't contribute at all to the PlayStation dominance is madness, in my opinion. Some of these people bought 360s at launch and had them for a while, and then just switched back to Playstation when the prices dropped. They would even acknowledge that the online experience for Playstation at the time was way worse than the 360, but they didn't care, Playstation was what they liked, and they wanted that continuity. That would ring true for a mountain of casual gamers, who probably buy FIFA and CoD most years and nothing else. There is 100% a sizable chunk of consumers that care more about the fact that there is a Playstation in their living room, with the UI and UX associated with it, including stuff like controller feel, over the fact that they are getting the latest exclusive Japanese RPG where you get to live the life of a dog on Mars.
Car crash of a post.

Conor

Hold up... noone cares about "these single player, exclusive titles that proper gaming nerds care about"?

TLOU 1/2
Uncharted
GoW
Horizon
Spiderman 1/MM
FFantasy
GTurismo
GoTsusima
Etc.......

"No one cares"
Maybe learn to read before attempting to quote my post?

Massive Spanner

So basically people you know did one thing and therefore that's how it is despite millions of sales throughout the history of consoles proving that the console with the best games, price etc. Is usually the one that sells the most units. Yeah, ok.

Conor

So basically people you know did one thing and therefore that's how it is despite millions of sales throughout the history of consoles proving that the console with the best games, price etc. Is usually the one that sells the most units. Yeah, ok.
You aren't addressing my point though, so it's very easy for you to list all of these things above(which I haven't disputed at all). Will you really not acknowledge that there is a not-insignificant portion of console owners out there that are only into cross platform games such as sports titles and some shooters, and that they care more about the actual console itself when buying, over what games will come out for it?

b82REZ

You aren't addressing my point though, so it's very easy for you to list all of these things above(which I haven't disputed at all). Will you really not acknowledge that there is a not-insignificant portion of console owners out there that are only into cross platform games such as sports titles and some shooters, and that they care more about the actual console itself when buying, over what games will come out for it?
The irony is, the Xbox positions itself as the console to play third party titles.

Your anecdotal evidence doesn't match up with the actual evidence.

Taking a leaf out of @Alock1 book and tying yourself up in contradictions and anecdotal evidence over actual data.

Massive Spanner

I never said it was just down to games though. I gave other examples. I mean the 360 literally got parity with the PS3 despite MS having almost no history because it was cheaper and had a better online service. I'm not sure what other example you could possibly need. I don't see how the above is down to brand loyalty at all. It's well known that a big portion of the gaming community care first and foremost about price and how well it will run COD and FIFA and whether it's a Sony or Microsoft console is largely irrelevant.

However the idea that exclusives don't play a huge part in sales has been debunked time and time again and is a totally senseless argument.

Conor

I never said it was just down to games though. I gave other examples. I mean the 360 literally got parity with the PS3 despite MS having almost no history because it was cheaper and had a better online service. I'm not sure what other example you could possibly need. I don't see how the above is down to brand loyalty at all. It's well known that a big portion of the gaming community care first and foremost about price and how well it will run COD and FIFA and whether it's a Sony or Microsoft console is largely irrelevant.

However the idea that exclusives don't play a huge part in sales has been debunked time and time again and is a totally senseless argument.
That wasn't my argument though, I literally have only said that Playstation's time in the market and the concept of brand loyalty gives them an advantage.

Massive Spanner

That wasn't my argument though, I literally have only said that Playstation's time in the market and the concept of brand loyalty gives them an advantage.
But you haven't been able to back it up by any feasible metric other than you know people who buy playstation because it's playstation.

Conor

But you haven't been able to back it up by any feasible metric other than you know people who buy playstation because it's playstation.
Ok, the 40-50 casual gamers I know that have bought Playstation for their wholes lives are a statistical anomaly, there no possible way it's representative of a group of console buyers in the larger world.

Massive Spanner

Ok, the 40-50 casual gamers I know that have bought Playstation for their wholes lives are a statistical anomaly, there no possible way it's representative of a group of console buyers in the larger world.
See, now you're getting it.

Conor

And they're definitely NOT gaming nerds. They're the true representation of gaming nerds buying habits though.
Does everyone that buys a console have to be a gaming nerd? Do you disagree with the basic premise of brand loyalty?

Widow

TLOU 1/2
Uncharted
GoW
Horizon
Spiderman 1/MM
FFantasy
GTurismo
GoTsusima
Etc.......

"No one cares"
After a period away from PS, I'm currently working through these titles... Absolutely grade A games.

I'm currently on GoT and it's just my type of game. Plenty to do, great story and it looks stunning on the PS5.

Alock1

Go look at the data. After 2 years of launch even in the US, sales gap between PS3 and Xbox 360 weren't that huge despite all the issues with price, stock, feature disparity, exclusive content. And sales of first-party were pretty much neck-and-neck in those early years too.

Brand Loyalty isn't some separate characteristic that is unmovable and doesn't overlap with all those other things discussed. It shifts over time, is more important in some parts of the world than others, and can only get you so far - yes, but it shouldn't be dismissed as it's a powerful tool. And believe me, both Xbox and Sony care a hell of a lot about it and consider it a good indicator of commercial KPIs.

If you swap the exclusives between Xbox One and PS4, and put Kinect in the PS4 box upfront and price it £80/$80 extra - you think that Xbox is selling 120m units and PS4 50m? Come on. Maybe we'd get an 80m/80m split again.

I stand by it, Sony would have to have a disaster for Xbox to sell more consoles than them. The base position of the majority is with Playstation* and the number that will be willing to swing, is enough to bring them closer together but not for Xbox to overtake (not globally anyway).

*Edited - wrote xbox

Last edited: