Gaming PS5 vs Xbox Series S|X

Which do you think will release first?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Don't think i've ever touched that one, i remember ODST but is that an expansion or the same game with extras i also finished reach but this was a long long time ago so remember very little.
ODST is the same engine, but completely different campaign and character mechanics. Same weapons if I can remember rightly.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Halo 2 > 3 > ODST > 1 > Reach >>>>>> 4 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 5

Thoughts?

Edit - Not that I disagree with the consensus 1 had the biggest leap for gaming overall.

Last edited:

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
I didn't really like 2 as much as others, I thought the dual weapons were poor and the Battle Rifle ridiculously OP. But I loved the setting. 3 I just found polished, but dull. I think I was probably Halo'd out at that point though as I'd been canning the MP.

ODST was a breath of fresh air in the series for me though. Reach was poor, 4 was worse and 5...well...

hubbuh

Halo 1 was the biz. Amazing game, even to this day for me. Halo 2 and 3 were special but primarily because of the online, which was unreal and insanely addictive.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
I didn't really like 2 as much as others, I thought the dual weapons were poor and the Battle Rifle ridiculously OP. But I loved the setting. 3 I just found polished, but dull. I think I was probably Halo'd out at that point though as I'd been canning the MP.

ODST was a breath of fresh air in the series for me though. Reach was poor, 4 was worse and 5...well...
Yeah, I actively avoid using the dual weapons as I don't think they suit the game really.

BR is OP but you gotta love it. I played them all with the half ammo skull so there was rarely a time I could rely on it exclusively.

Reach, weirdly, has a reputation as being one of the better Halo games which I'll never understand. The whole game is so samey and the story is bad. The final level with the banshees and the big gun is very anti-climactic.

ODST is just a lovely lovely game.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Halo 2 > 3 > ODST > 1 > Reach >>>>>> 4 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 5

Thoughts?

Edit - Not that I disagree with the consensus 1 had the biggest leap for gaming overall.
Sounds about right.

ShinjiNinja26

On Halo 1 even the remake was an Xbox 360 game from 10 years ago. It definitely feels dated. Halo 2 onwards feel better but naturally when playing games from multiple generations ago, what made them unique and game changing at the time is all lost.

I still have fun with them but if you aren't bringing nostalgia to the table then it's probably better as a co-op experience to just run through.

Agree about the flood. Waste of time. I hate them.
I was really surprised how good the Halo 2 remaster was. Looked great and played really well, nice and smooth not sluggish at all. Defo doesn’t show its age that’s for sure.

Bosws87

While we are on the topic has anyone jumped into the online on Halo Masterchief collection is its still popular, i've seen there's crossplay.

Redlambs

While we are on the topic has anyone jumped into the online on Halo Masterchief collection is its still popular, i've seen there's crossplay.
Not for a while, on launch and for a while after they completely fecked it up with terms of the legacy code and bugs and for crossplay favouring controller heavily by overdoing auto aim and trying to map PC controls to the OG xbox original :lol:

I don't know how it plays lately mind.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I played Halo 1 when it came to PC, loved it. Got really into Halo up until ODST. I think I'm over it for now but Halo in VR (or something similar) is a dream for me.

Ainu

It's not really a surprise, we knew they would only move onto ES6 after Starfield's release. It does mean we're looking at something like a 15 year gap between two main entries in the series though.

b82REZ

Apparently the ES6 reveal was only made due to incredibly bad press Fallout 76 received.

Bethesda need to knock Starfield out of the park because they've been a steady downward spiral since Skyrim.

Ainu

Wouldn't surprise me if they released Fallout 5 before ES6.
I would. They've already teased ES6, if they move on to Fallout 5 first you're looking at ES6 being released more than a decade after it was announced and around 20 years after the last entry. It effectively becomes a revival at that point. That just doesn't seem like a good move.

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
So 96 copies sold on PlayStation and 4 on Xbox then?

I don't think D&D Dark Alliance is the game to really have the conversation about as it was so poorly received and secondly I expect sold very few physical copies. But I do think there's a conversation to be had generally about B-C tier games on Xbox. It feels like it's gamepass or bust for those titles.

The good thing is that it's quite clear that so far the gamepass model is working for many and is flexible in the commercial models deployed meaning it can be a a great fit for many of those developers. But if you wanted to take a cynical view you could say that might change once they have less reliance on 3rd parties and have regular 1st party content to bolster their library.

If Gamepass doesn't work for a dev, for whatever reason - including a deal with someone like Sony or maybe even Epic that would restrict being on a subscription service - I imagine there won't be great growth in sales through xbox.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
There was a thread on resetera yesterday where the XBox guys were saying they rarely buy games anymore due to gamepass so I'm not even surprised. Doubt MS cares much though...

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
no-one I know on xbox buys games anymore
There was a thread on resetera yesterday where the XBox guys were saying they rarely buy games anymore due to gamepass so I'm not even surprised. Doubt MS cares much though...
That is what I thought but I'm sure I remember reading someone from Xbox saying that Game Pass has resulted in games getting even more sales.

Alock1

I don't buy many games now and it makes buying new games at full price really hard ro swallow on my PS5/Switch.

There are times where I'm more willing to buy a game because of the money I've 'saved by gamepass. Bit of a weird one.

That is what I thought but I'm sure I remember reading someone from Xbox saying that Game Pass has resulted in games getting even more sales.
Phil Spencer has said a few times that Gamepass Users buy more games (than non gamepass users) but I always assume those subscribers (especially the earliest) would have bought more anyway. They could be buying less than before subbing and still buy more than non-subscribers.

They have mentioned games that have gone on to sell more because of going on gamepass but I think that's case by case. Often they'll be multiplayer or just games that get more word of mouth from gamepass than the marketing they were previously doing (or not doing in lots of cases), and in some of those cases it's actually that they get more sales on other platforms - think fallguys or rocketleague being on ps+.

I'm sure there are many (most) that get less sales on Xbox as a result. I'd imagine Microsoft are chucking enough money at them to make that worthwhile though as lots of devs keep returning to it.

Dare to Zlatan

Supports
Zlatan
Love my ps5, streams peppa pig in 4K 60fps with Ray tracing turnt on amazingly!

in all seriousness next gen really doesn’t feel like it has started yet, ratchet and clank plays nicely and looks good, but it’s not a console selling game.

Alock1

The new X box being out sold by a 4 year old handheld console, how embarrassing
Both next gen consoles are selling every console they make, that's just slower than they'd like due to the chip shortage. For Xbox its even worse since they're also putting some of the limited chips they have into their xcloud infrastructure.

Redlambs

I don't buy many games now and it makes buying new games at full price really hard ro swallow on my PS5/Switch.

There are times where I'm more willing to buy a game because of the money I've 'saved by gamepass. Bit of a weird one.

Phil Spencer has said a few times that Gamepass Users buy more games (than non gamepass users) but I always assume those subscribers (especially the earliest) would have bought more anyway. They could be buying less than before subbing and still buy more than non-subscribers.

They have mentioned games that have gone on to sell more because of going on gamepass but I think that's case by case. Often they'll be multiplayer or just games that get more word of mouth from gamepass than the marketing they were previously doing (or not doing in lots of cases), and in some of those cases it's actually that they get more sales on other platforms - think fallguys or rocketleague being on ps+.

I'm sure there are many (most) that get less sales on Xbox as a result. I'd imagine Microsoft are chucking enough money at them to make that worthwhile though as lots of devs keep returning to it.
It's what happens next that's the concern.

Even MS can't sustain the current model forever, what happens to developers as costs continue to rise.

It's an interesting one for sure. Personally I think the model as it is is only sustainable for another couple of years if no genuine rival service pops up. If everyone starts doing a gamepass, then I do fear for the indies/small teams.

Balljy

You can literally go on Amazon and buy one for RRP. There hasn't been a shortage of Switches since the first lockdown last year.
It does seem to have cleared up in the UK at the moment but it's only about 2 months ago that Nintendo had to clarify the position because of a global shortage caused by the chip situation at fabs.

Nintendo Switch Facing Huge Stock Shortage in 2021 (gamingintel.com)

Nintendo warns global chip shortage to hit Switch production | Financial Times (ft.com)

Nintendo Physically Can't Make Enough Switch Consoles Right Now, and That Might Continue - IGN

b82REZ

It's what happens next that's the concern.

Even MS can't sustain the current model forever, what happens to developers as costs continue to rise.

It's an interesting one for sure. Personally I think the model as it is is only sustainable for another couple of years if no genuine rival service pops up. If everyone starts doing a gamepass, then I do fear for the indies/small teams.
We're wrong.

Apparently MS don't care about money and will run at a loss for reasons.