Gaming PS5 vs Xbox Series S|X

Which do you think will release first?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
Your penance needs to be more severe. You should be forced to play Halo multiplayer while @Alock1 reads you metacritic reviews.
Don't project your fantasies on others mate. Just pm me and have done with it.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
It's way too quiet in here.

So who had the better 2021? Ponies or Xbots?
Ponies in terms of having seen a few good titles like Ratchet, Kena and Returnal.

Xbots in terms of having access to a whole bunch of good but not quite amazing games for about the price of one of those games.

Overall, I think if you're more into varied experiences then it's been better to own an Xbox, but if you like your quarterly AAA titles then Sony wins.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Ponies in terms of having seen a few good titles like Ratchet, Kena and Returnal.

Xbots in terms of having access to a whole bunch of good but not quite amazing games for about the price of one of those games.

Overall, I think if you're more into varied experiences then it's been better to own an Xbox, but if you like your quarterly AAA titles then Sony wins.
There is a huge amount of amazing games on gamepass

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
My Series X is pretty much my go to now. So much on gamepass that you can just pick up and play for a few hours. I only take out the PS5 to play a Sony exclusive or a PS4 game that's gotten an upgrade. There haven't been many of the former this year, hopefully next year is better. Horizon will be a good start.

I'd still pick the PS5 though for a game that's on both but not on gamepass that I really want to play as I love dualsense, but there haven't actually really been any games like that, most of the cross plat have also been on PC where they are much cheaper.

altodevil

Mass Effect 2: Digital Deluxe Edition
Library of Ruina
Quake
The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
Gears of War
Hades
Mass Effect 3: N7 Digital Deluxe Edition
Fallout 3: Game of the Year Edition
Gears of War 2
Microsoft Flight Simulator: Game of the Year Edition
Undertale
What Remains of Edith Finch
Forza Horizon 4
Forza Horizon 5
F1 2020
Dragon Quest XI S: Echoes of an Elusive Age - Definitive Edition
Dead Cells
Gears of War 3
The Catch: Carp & Coarse Fishing
Dead Space 2
The Bard's Tale ARPG: Remastered and Resnarkled
NieR Automata: Become as Gods Edition
Ori and the Will of the Wisps
Hollow Knight: Voidheart Edition
Mass Effect
Stardew Valley
Nuclear Throne
Psychonauts 2

Shark

@NotShark
It's way too quiet in here.

So who had the better 2021? Ponies or Xbots?
As an owner of both the SX has been used much more by far mostly because of Game Pass. It's been amazing for finding coop games with friends. The luxury of jumping from game to game instead of forking out for something we wouldn't necessarily enjoy is fantastic. I've used PS5 mainly to revisit upgraded versions of older Sony exclusives and Returnal was my favourite exclusive definitely of the year. Features wise SX having the likes of Dobly Vision, VRR and quick resume definitely makes the difference and makes the PS5 seem a bit lacking in that department. 3D audio on PS5 is brilliant with the headset.

Last edited:

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Who updated the Returnal, Deathloop and Ratchet thread titles?

With Forza Horizon 5 and Psychonauts 2 they had the excuse of there not being a thread to update, though really they should have created a thread just to add the MC scores to the title. For Halo though, those others had all been updated by now. Seems strange it hasn't been.
Weird cause it's not my threads with the score in the titles mate

Any excuse to wind @Damien up
Deathloop was done by the threadstarter: Massive Spanner, and was actually there when the thread was created.

The other two were just done as a retaliation to Bojan updating every other thread with Metascores but with him gone there was no motivation to continue doing so.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Already did... Isn't it universally accepted now that Gamepass is lots of filler and mid tier games with a few standouts? (I'm still looking at Forza jealously).

I know it's fun and games in here but by most metrics that count, XBox is lagging behind and that's a shame... maybe next year is their year?

Massive Spanner

Deathloop was done by the threadstarter: Massive Spanner, and was actually there when the thread was created.

The other two were just done as a retaliation to Bojan updating every other thread with Metascores but with him gone there was no motivation to continue doing so.
I never even bothered to buy it in the end but anything that annoys Alock is worth it.

Abraxas

Already did... Isn't it universally accepted now that Gamepass is lots of filler and mid tier games with a few standouts? (I'm still looking at Forza jealously).

I know it's fun and games in here but by most metrics that count, XBox is lagging behind and that's a shame... maybe next year is their year?
What metrics? I guess the only one that counts for the companies is PS5 has sold more, but for an actual user that's had both I'm struggling

Let's be honest, they're two boxes that sit in the corner of the room with near identical specs that do the exact same set of functions with 90% of the same games. It's all fun and games in these debates but if somebody can see a big difference I'm missing I'd love to know because I must have missed out on something.

Bosws87

Ever since Microsoft and Sonys approach to pc gaming, it’s clearly the best platform of them all :cool:

With crossplay they are now basically the same machines if you have a long standing game series you wanna play that’s really the only reason for championing one over the other

Alock1

Absolute nonsense :lol: a few years ago - sure, but this year - definitely not. Even if you did count the below as 'a few standouts' - how is that any different than Sony's exclusive offering this year of 2/3 games, which have then been charged at £70 each (a total which would have covered the whole year of gamepass).

It Takes Two, Psychonauts 2, Forza Horizon 5, Halo Infinite, Flight Simulator, Hades, Quake Remastered, MLB The Show, Outriders, Back 4 Blood, Scarlet Nexus -

All came out this year for xbox, all on Gamepass, and all in the top released games this year. If you look at all the best games released this year across Xbox, PS5 and Switch - including exclusives - a decent chunk of them are on gamepass.

If you look to the past 2 years or so - Ori, Doom Eternal, Wasteland 3, Mortal Kombat 11, Gears 5, Outer Worlds, Yakuza Like A Dragon, Dirt 5, Gears Tactics and more. Plus a ton of B-tier stuff (12 minutes, the ascent, aliens: fireteam elite) and tons of top old games with FPS boosts (all old battlefields, titanfall 2..) or next gen updates (Hellblade, Rainbow 6 Siege)

Easily the best thing in gaming at the moment.

Smores

Absolute nonsense :lol: a few years ago - sure, but this year - definitely not. Even if you did count the below as 'a few standouts' - how is that any different than Sony's exclusive offering this year of 2/3 games, which have then been charged at £70 each (a total which would have covered the whole year of gamepass).

It Takes Two, Psychonauts 2, Forza Horizon 5, Halo Infinite, Flight Simulator, Hades, Quake Remastered, MLB The Show, Outriders, Back 4 Blood, Scarlet Nexus -

All came out this year for xbox, all on Gamepass, and all in the top released games this year. If you look at all the best games released this year across Xbox, PS5 and Switch - including exclusives - a decent chunk of them are on gamepass.

If you look to the past 2 years or so - Ori, Doom Eternal, Wasteland 3, Mortal Kombat 11, Gears 5, Outer Worlds, Yakuza Like A Dragon, Dirt 5, Gears Tactics and more. Plus a ton of B-tier stuff (12 minutes, the ascent, aliens: fireteam elite) and tons of top old games with FPS boosts (all old battlefields, titanfall 2..) or next gen updates (Hellblade, Rainbow 6 Siege)

Most of those are filler and mid tier games though, you've proven his point if anything. There's not much difference between PS Now and Gamepass, I'd only buy a few of the games available on either. Still it's cheap so you get what you pay for.

I mean it's good value if you don't mind playing 'okay' games and you're just someone who plays bits of games before moving on.

Massive Spanner

Oh man, triggered.

b82REZ

You've just proved his point

hobbers

You dont need to feel jealous about Forza, it's a sightseeing and collectibles game not a racing game.

El General 1994

Great post.

altodevil

Most of those are filler and mid tier games though, you've proven his point if anything. There's not much difference between PS Now and Gamepass, I'd only buy a few of the games available on either. Still it's cheap so you get what you pay for.

I mean it's good value if you don't mind playing 'okay' games and you're just someone who plays bits of games before moving on.
This post makes no sense

Bosws87

I stated this argument a long time ago the majority of gamepass is old games/junk filler and basically got told not everyone plays that many games.

If you sit in a forum arguing about which console is better then the other, you play too many games.

Gamepass could be great to the filthy casual, but for me who likes to play all the best games as soon as possible it's 90% junk/old and 10% quality stuff.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

"Too damn easy!"

You dont need to feel jealous about Forza, it's a sightseeing and collectibles game not a racing game.
Still looks good tho:drool:

Alock1

You've just proved his point
By what definition makes Halo Infinite, Forza Horizon 5, Psychonauts 2, Flight Simulator, It Takes Two, Hades or Outriders filler? They're among the best released games this year across all platforms. And that's just games released this year.. there's a much longer list with some of the best games from every year to include there too. And each year that number of standout games only increases, had the Bethesda deal have gone through a little earlier then Deathloop would be on there too.

You not playing them or being interested in them doesn't make them 'filler' games.

altodevil

The arguments against game pass are mindboggling to me. How many actual AAA games get released each year?