Gaming PS5 vs Xbox Series S|X

Which do you think will release first?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
I swear gamepass just makes buying so many games pointless now. I remember looking at guardians a while ago thinking of buying it but just didn’t bother as it was obvious it’d be on gamepass in not too long.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
My question is... Will all the same games end up on both gamepass and whatever PlayStation's service is? Apart from the exclusives obviously.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
My question is... Will all the same games end up on both gamepass and whatever PlayStation's service is? Apart from the exclusives obviously.
There'll be stuff written into the contracts. Bit like what has been going on with the FF games on Game Pass and PS Now. They started off on Game Pass then after they left GP went on PS Now. Publishers will look to double dip in terms of money.

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
Some will have exclusive periods on one or the other, some will be available on both. Same as the situation with TV subscription providers really.

afrocentricity

Doubt I'll be signing up to either anytime soon. Gotta play what I have and stop spending, with these rising household costs :rolleyes:

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Xbox boss Phil Spencer asks fans not to "weaponise" games for "battles between platforms"

Xbox boss Phil Spencer has asked that fans respect creators, and to celebrate the upcoming releases regardless of platform.

Spencer was recently awarded a Lifetime Achievement award at DICE 2022. Following his acceptance speech (in which he called out the toxic environments in the gaming industry).

When asked if he had a message for fans, Spencer was keen to voice his wish players respected creators, rather than use games as ammunition in a console war. "I think it's very often that creations can be kind of weaponised and used in battles between platforms and other things," Spencer said.

"I look at everybody who is brave enough to create something, put it out... have their peers, the industry, players, play and analyse and talk about what they do. Let's just celebrate the fact that so many great games are coming out from so many creators and realise that's such a foundation for where this industry is going to go".

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2022-03-02-xbox-ceo-phil-spencer-asks-fans-to-respect-creators

--

Goes without saying that engaging in console wars is childish and silly but I know what some of you are like.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
In other news, reviews for GT7 are in and it looks like Us Sony Gamers have another great one to enjoy:

Gran Turismo 7 is the quintessential Gran Turismo and the best of what the series has accrued over its 25 years of existence. The game is beautiful, detailed and fresh, powered by a detailed handling model that’s yet to be seen in racing games.

Making full use of PlayStation 5’s DualSense controller to convey an incredibly deep and satisfying driving model, everything from weather to reflected sound effects have been modelled to perfection – making Gran Turismo 7 easily the world’s most complete driving game.

Gran Turismo 7 is the game that longtime fans of the series have been requesting for years. Although what's here isn't drastically different in format when compared to some of the earlier installments, the overall experience that Gran Turismo 7 provides is incredibly comprehensive and feels like a love letter to both car culture and the 25-year history of the Gran Turismo franchise.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
In other news, reviews for GT7 are in and it looks like Us Sony Gamers have another great one to enjoy:

Gran Turismo 7 is the quintessential Gran Turismo and the best of what the series has accrued over its 25 years of existence. The game is beautiful, detailed and fresh, powered by a detailed handling model that’s yet to be seen in racing games.

Making full use of PlayStation 5’s DualSense controller to convey an incredibly deep and satisfying driving model, everything from weather to reflected sound effects have been modelled to perfection – making Gran Turismo 7 easily the world’s most complete driving game.

Gran Turismo 7 is the game that longtime fans of the series have been requesting for years. Although what's here isn't drastically different in format when compared to some of the earlier installments, the overall experience that Gran Turismo 7 provides is incredibly comprehensive and feels like a love letter to both car culture and the 25-year history of the Gran Turismo franchise.
Exciting times. One thing hasn't changed since the OG Gran Turismo and that is me and my main gaming friend spending hours shaving 100th's of seconds off timetrials with each other. It's every bit as competitive as some of my other mates' PES tournaments back in the day.

Between this, Elden Ring and Hollow Knight I will be kept busy for weeks / months. I'm genuinely considering buying a gaming chair and steering wheel for this for the first time ever.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Exciting times. One thing hasn't changed since the OG Gran Turismo and that is me and my main gaming friend spending hours shaving 100th's of seconds off timetrials with each other. It's every bit as competitive as some of my other mates' PES tournaments back in the day.

Between this, Elden Ring and Hollow Knight I will be kept busy for weeks / months. I'm genuinely considering buying a gaming chair and steering wheel for this for the first time ever.
God yeah, I'm jealous of people who have proper set-ups with a steering wheel, gears and a chair.

It's one of those things I tell myself I'll buy when I get around to buying a house. Must be so immersive.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
God yeah, I'm jealous of people who have proper set-ups with a steering wheel, gears and a chair.

It's one of those things I tell myself I'll buy when I get around to buying a house. Must be so immersive.
Yeah me too. Always wanted one and either:

1. Never been able to afford one
2. Never had the space for one
3. Or wasn't allowed to spend £100's of pounds on a steering wheel when we needed a new vacuum or summat!

Tbh, point 1 still exists to a degree, I know there's lots of other things I need, especially as I've just bought a house but seeing as points 2 and 3 are now defunct, I may just ignore point 1.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff

88 MC is pretty nuts. Thought it would be 85 or below with reviewers comparing it unfavourably to Forza Horizon despite them being for different target audiences.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Has anyone played Lost Judgement - and is it any good?

Abraxas

My Xbox has a weird bug when I don't full shutdown, it'll often load up with tinny as hell sound. Once restarted it goes away.

b82REZ

It's unsurprising Trek to Yomi has seen more success on Xbox as a free game as it's received mediocre reviews so I'd imagine a lot people have held off buying it.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
It's unsurprising Trek to Yomi has seen more success on Xbox as a free game as it's received mediocre reviews so I'd imagine a lot people have held off buying it.
Fair point as I don't think it looks any good but I like to think there's a place in gaming for developers to try experimental titles like it. For every five that aren't any good, it's nice when that one really good one succeeds, even in spite of not being an in vogue genre (e.g. metrodvania or rog-like).

Imagine paying £450 to play Trek to Yomi
More like Drek to Yomi.

Last edited:

afrocentricity

Fair point as I don't think it looks any good but I like to think there's a place in gaming for developers to try experimental titles like it. For every five that aren't any good, it's nice when that one really good one succeeds, even in spite of not being an in vogue genre (e.g. metrodvania or rog-like).

More like Drek to Yomi.
Can't remeber which tier it's on but PSPlus will be doing game trials which will let you play several hours of any game over 39.99 I believe. I thought that was a good idea, but like I said I don't know what tier so don't know the pricing. Kills another one of @Alock1's pro XBox user points... Don't think the devs are seeing anymore money for it upfront though so maybe the devs aren't too keen. We'll see I'm sure...

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Can't remeber which tier it's on but PSPlus will be doing game trials which will let you play several hours of any game over 39.99 I believe. I thought that was a good idea, but like I said I don't know what tier so don't know the pricing. Kills another one of @Alock1's pro XBox user points... Don't think the devs are seeing anymore money for it upfront though so maybe the devs aren't too keen. We'll see I'm sure...
Wasn't aware of that so it'll be interesting to see. I remember a few years back reading they killed demos because it actually led to less sales over time. Whether that affects all types of games or just some I'm not sure.

PS+ is also a good point with regard to indie games generally. I kinda imagine the best approach to developing games right now is to get out a small hit and build up a fanbase, then move to releasing a bigger game later down the line for more money.

Hollow Knight is a a good case study for this sort of thing (assuming that sequel ever comes out).

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Imagine paying £450 to wait until the first half of 2023 :lol:
This is a console discussion thread, specifically between the PS5 and Xbox Series X. No PC master race culture in this thread. If you want to discuss the merits of console vs PC, feel free to make a new topic.

afrocentricity

Sooooo... I remember weirdos on here repeatedly telling me that the XXox was the strongest of the consoles, no, the vastly superior one...

So in mid 2022, what are the games that are better on Xbox? What are its best games even? Are they even better?

afrocentricity

Silence from @VeevaVee @Alock1 and them...

Predictably.

Looking like GP or bust for now. Stuff like Starfield/Perfect Dark have gotta be fire and worth the wait, when they finally come.
Ratchet and Clank is awesome. So is Returnal. I cant stop buying games :nervous:
Horizon is good too.

Bosws87

My take currently is both console platforms are doing exactly what they have been doing for the past 3 generations.

Microsoft has over promised and under delivered once again its exclusive games are non existent or rushed out the door in a half unfinished state so they never reach the potential they have.

Sony are still producing the major single player narrative games and still struggling to get that mainstream FPS exclusive that they have wanted forever.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Halo was great. But the multiplayer was left to die after like a week. Really enjoyed the story, gameplay very tight and engaging. Bungie just cared more than 343 and it still shows.

Forza was clearly rushed and they've totally fecked up the management of it. 4 was better but that might be because I jumped in a few years down the line.

Gamepass is still the king for me. I'm never out of new games to play, and the smaller ones often have me hooked. Gonna try that sniper one soon.