Gaming PS5 vs Xbox Series S|X

Which do you think will release first?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Fully Fledged

Yeah true. Cod and Battlefield are probably the more obvious non-sport reskins.

Ubi just have the same formula for every game from the division to the crew to watchdogs and beyond, and its game design has spread like another virus through the industry along with mtx and releasing half finished products and full price remakes/remasters of old games.
Yeh. I do believe that they need more diversity in their game portfolio.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
If you have friends and like to game with them go Xbox. If you are someone who would prefer to game alone go PlayStation.
Thanks. I kinda do both. Mostly on my own, day to day kinda thing but I game with friends a couple of times a month.

Fully Fledged

Thanks. I kinda do both. Mostly on my own, day to day kinda thing but I game with friends a couple of times a month.
Well there are many games that are on both systems that allow you to play with your friends but when it comes to exclusives PlayStations are more single player based while Xbox is more about a multiplayer experience.

Abraxas

If you are calling Ubisoft games reskins rather than cookie Cutter (which is still and slur btw) then you would have to load Miles Morales, HFW and GoW2 in the same boat as they also have mostly the same mechanics as the game that preceded them with only slightly improvements over their predecessors.
I wouldn't necessarily have a problem in saying that since it seems to be the nature of AAA gaming, only AC has been rehashed so many times that it is bound to create more fatigue among those that have at one time enjoyed it.

I remember thinking Black Flag was bloody brilliant and grinding the platinum on that. For the time it seemed somewhat fresh. Well... looking back at footage it's pretty much as good as the current iterations except some window dressing.

Ultimately we pay our money and take our choice, obviously enough people like this formula, but there are certainly valid reasons to be bored at this point. I couldn't get through 10 hours of Valhalla after playing Odyssey.

caid

Correct answer is PC by miles.
At least the xbox is a decent budget option. Everything associated with the PS5 is too fecking expensive, the pc gaming is too expensive argument just has no merit. Potentially not being able to play Elder Scrolls or Call of Duty or whatever in a couple of years is another black mark.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
At least the xbox is a decent budget option. Everything associated with the PS5 is too fecking expensive, the pc gaming is too expensive argument just has no merit. Potentially not being able to play Elder Scrolls or Call of Duty or whatever in a couple of years is another black mark.
Maybe in normal times, but in the last 2 years, it definitely has been, considering it's been much easier to grab a Series X or PS5 at MSRP.

caid

Maybe in normal times, but in the last 2 years, it definitely has been, considering it's been much easier to grab a Series X or PS5 at MSRP.
Thats probably a fair point. I kind of thought it was just the newer graphics cards that are hard to get?

Abraxas

Huh? Putting a decent PC together that is significantly more powerful than a console (because they probably should be) is expensive. Putting together a PC on par with a console is more expensive. The value angle has changed significantly with the latest consoles since the hardware is pretty good.

We all know the benefits of PC gaming in terms of the titles that are available, the things that can be plugged in and the flexibility it gives within many games, but to try and make out that there isn't a good argument for value with a console depending on the individual is just nonsense.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff

caid

Huh? Putting a decent PC together that is significantly more powerful than a console (because they probably should be) is expensive. Putting together a PC on par with a console is more expensive. The value angle has changed significantly with the latest consoles since the hardware is pretty good.

We all know the benefits of PC gaming in terms of the titles that are available, the things that can be plugged in and the flexibility it gives within many games, but to try and make out that there isn't a good argument for value with a console depending on the individual is just nonsense.
The games cost half the price. The accessories cost half the price. Theres no network cost. Theres little point in putting together a pc more powerful than a ps5 because there'll be about 2 games in the next year that'll even begin to use it (most games being made for ps4) and about 2 games in the next 5 years that'll need more than it offers (a couple of VR titles basically). You buy half a dozen games and you'll have broken even on price and have a better product and service for it.
Or maybe you dont play games that often and it'll take longer. But you could just buy an xbox series S and pickup xbox live and your spend a fraction what a ps5 or pc would cost. The xbox has an obvious place in the market. PS5 doesn't.

Would i get away with rephrasing this as XBox > PS5 at this point? :lol:

Abraxas

The games cost half the price. The accessories cost half the price. Theres no network cost. Theres little point in putting together a pc more powerful than a ps5 because there'll be about 2 games in the next year that'll even begin to use it (most games being made for ps4) and about 2 games in the next 5 years that'll need more than it offers (a couple of VR titles basically). You buy half a dozen games and you'll have broken even on price and have a better product and service for it.
Or maybe you dont play games that often and it'll take longer. But you could just buy an xbox series S and pickup xbox live and your spend a fraction what a ps5 or pc would cost. The xbox has an obvious place in the market. PS5 doesn't.

Would i get away with rephrasing this as XBox > PS5 at this point? :lol:
I think with ongoing costs there are silly and smart ways to do it. You can buy a PS5 or Xbox Series X game in Tesco on release day, or you can find other options online or wait. You can sell on all your games. You can pay full whack on network costs, or you don't because there are deals to be exploited.

I think if you take the best of what PC delivers on price and compare it to the dumbest possible console route then it will look bad. But generally I don't find console gaming to be twice as expensive by any means, I think that's an exaggeration. I find my PC twice or three times as good for customising my experience but I wouldn't say for cutting my costs. PC also tempts me into buying shite I don't need! But that's just my indiscipline.

Generally people are concerned by upfront costs. A good gaming PC has a high upfront cost, including monitor and peripherals. The consoles have a relatively low upfront cost for 4k gaming. You can get a crap one for cheaper I'm sure, but that's not much of an argument and I would think runs counter to many PC buyer attitudes who want the best they can get for their budget.

I would agree the Series S is a nice option for the very budget conscious, it's good value.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
If I were to own only one of these consoles I’d probably pick up Xbox Series X as it’s a smoother experience, Game Pass offers fantastic value and all multiplatform games are virtually the same anyway. It lacks exclusives the ones it offers are quite good and there will be more to come next year, and you’ll get all of them day one.

However with new PS Plus Extra it will basically be very similar value though you won’t get exclusives day one, however the library that you get there with PS4 games may be even more appealing.

caid

I think with ongoing costs there are silly and smart ways to do it. You can buy a PS5 or Xbox Series X game in Tesco on release day, or you can find other options online or wait. You can sell on all your games. You can pay full whack on network costs, or you don't because there are deals to be exploited.

I think if you take the best of what PC delivers on price and compare it to the dumbest possible console route then it will look bad. But generally I don't find console gaming to be twice as expensive by any means, I think that's an exaggeration. I find my PC twice or three times as good for customising my experience but I wouldn't say for cutting my costs. PC also tempts me into buying shite I don't need! But that's just my indiscipline.

Generally people are concerned by upfront costs. A good gaming PC has a high upfront cost, including monitor and peripherals. The consoles have a relatively low upfront cost for 4k gaming. You can get a crap one for cheaper I'm sure, but that's not much of an argument and I would think runs counter to many PC buyer attitudes who want the best they can get for their budget.
I guess im frustrated with how locked down and limited the options on PS5 are. I'd probably use the network options on the ps5 for a weekend every 2 or 3 months - there isn't much deals to save there. I can pay €8 for a month that it'll be in some use every 2 or 3 months or pay €40 ish for a year on sale, that'll cover the 5 or so times i use it. I can pay €100 for a ps5 with a disc drive, and make the money back after buying, i dont know, 5+ games? But a disc drive costs about a tenner to make so i resent giving them €100 for one. I'm not sure i'll even buy 5 games over its lifetime at this point. Cheapest ive seen Demons Souls 18 months after release is €50, which is what i'd expect to pay for a new release on pc. Same with Returnal. At this point my attitude to both is feck it i'll forget about them for a couple of years and get them for free on epic games store. I've spent €15 here and there on Last of Us 2 and stuff (stuff with no resale value) but i've covered the ps4 library months (years?) ago so what else is coming?

Abraxas

I guess im frustrated with how locked down and limited the options on PS5 are. I'd probably use the network options on the ps5 for a weekend every 2 or 3 months - there isn't much deals to save there. I can pay €8 for a month that it'll be in some use every 2 or 3 months or pay €40 ish for a year on sale, that'll cover the 5 or so times i use it. I can pay €100 for a ps5 with a disc drive, and make the money back after buying, i dont know, 5+ games? But a disc drive costs about a tenner to make so i resent giving them €100 for one. I'm not sure i'll even buy 5 games over its lifetime at this point. Cheapest ive seen Demons Souls 18 months after release is €50, which is what i'd expect to pay for a new release on pc. Same with Returnal. At this point my attitude to both is feck it i'll forget about them for a couple of years and get them for free on epic games store. I've spent €15 here and there on Last of Us 2 and stuff (stuff with no resale value) but i've covered the ps4 library months (years?) ago so what else is coming?
I suppose the problem is your usage is quite low whereas a hardcore console gamer can get a lot of value out of the services offered by both companies. Using it to get access purely for the online or for a few games which then trap you into keeping the service or rushing the game isn't appealing. Some people even got on the 3 years for £120 offer on Games Pass which was ridiculous, I don't think we can say £3 odd a month is bad value! Not sure if something similar has been available on PS5.

The other side to the games holding value is can't you just buy Demons Souls, play it, and put it on eBay? You're not going to lose all that much. You'd lose more if they were £35 to begin with and then depreciated within a year so yes the price stings but there are options. It's a bad market for games hoarding but not necessarily for the value conscious.

caid

I suppose the problem is your usage is quite low whereas a hardcore console gamer can get a lot of value out of the services offered by both companies. Using it to get access purely for the online or for a few games which then trap you into keeping the service or rushing the game isn't appealing. Some people even got on the 3 years for £120 offer on Games Pass which was ridiculous, I don't think we can say £3 odd a month is bad value! Not sure if something similar has been available on PS5.

The other side to the games holding value is can't you just buy Demons Souls, play it, and put it on eBay? You're not going to lose all that much. You'd lose more if they were £35 to begin with and then depreciated within a year so yes the price stings but there are options. It's a bad market for games hoarding but not necessarily for the value conscious.
I have that which shall not be named as well and my usage is higher on that. Daily if not weekly. Its a better service and more games built for it.
Paying anything for network access is bad value. The free games have been worthless for a year. Charging to lock customers into their weak service is always going to be a hard sell for me and sony have failed miserably to convince me of its value. Xbox is another matter that basically highlights how shit sony's service is by being orders of magnitude better in every sense.
Fair point with the ebay thing.

caid

Sorry @Damien
I just feel like picking a fight and talking shit about ps5 recently for some reason
I wont stick to this thread for my nonsensical warring. I'll just shut up and go away. Or pick a fight with the crypto nutters, that seems to be a thing.

Fully Fledged

It's crazy how people who pilloried Xbox for having backwards compatibility, because who wants to play old games am I right, are now loving the PlayStation back catalogue on PS+. It's not lost on some of us though that games you already own on a previous Xbox consoles are free on Xbox and are often upgraded free of charge. Not like paying £70 for an up grade of a PS4 game.

caid

It's crazy how people who pilloried Xbox for having backwards compatibility, because who wants to play old games am I right, are now loving the PlayStation back catalogue on PS+. It's not lost on some of us though that games you already own on a previous Xbox consoles are free on Xbox and are often upgraded free of charge. Not like paying £70 for an up grade of a PS4 game.
I actually seem to have gotten a bunch of old games for free on the PS5. Bought Journey on PS3 and there was a free copy on the ps5 store. There were a couple others too but cant remember them.
Journey is great incidentally.

Fully Fledged

I actually seem to have gotten a bunch of old games for free on the PS5. Bought Journey on PS3 and there was a free copy on the ps5 store. There were a couple others too but cant remember them.
Journey is great incidentally.
There are 640 games on Xbox that you can play for free if you have the original game. A large percentage of these have been upgraded at no extra cost.

caid

There are 640 games on Xbox that you can play for free if you have the original game. A large percentage of these have been upgraded at no extra cost.
Yeah i've always been quite partial to backward compatibility. I have a few old consoles that get wheeled out every so often. They've put together a good library on Xbox, its a good deal even if their first party stuff isn't necessarily amazing (like it wouldn't compare favourably against nintendo but who would really)

Bebe

The back-compat features were a big part of my recent decision to buy a Series X. Was home last week and grabbed a bunch of OG Xbox games excitedly to play on my new console.

fecking none of them are supported, and apparently they aren't adding any more games to the catalogue.

I was so excited to play games like Def Jam FFNY, Prince of Persia Warrior Within + Two Thrones (seems Sands of Time is playable), LOTR The Third Age again. Really put a damper on my enthusiasm for the console honestly.

Fully Fledged

Yeah i've always been quite partial to backward compatibility. I have a few old consoles that get wheeled out every so often. They've put together a good library on Xbox, its a good deal even if their first party stuff isn't necessarily amazing (like it wouldn't compare favourably against nintendo but who would really)
Nintendo's games are always aimed too young for me. As a 56 year old I prefer games that are more adult orientated.

Fully Fledged

The back-compat features were a big part of my recent decision to buy a Series X. Was home last week and grabbed a bunch of OG Xbox games excitedly to play on my new console.

fecking none of them are supported, and apparently they aren't adding any more games to the catalogue.

I was so excited to play games like Def Jam FFNY, Prince of Persia Warrior Within + Two Thrones (seems Sands of Time is playable), LOTR The Third Age again. Really put a damper on my enthusiasm for the console honestly.
School boy error mate check the list before buying any games to play on back compat.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_backward-compatible_games_for_Xbox_One_and_Series_X/S

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"

It was the same on the 360. Only a selection of OG Xbox games were supported. I assume they're using the same emulator tech (whatever that means)

Bebe

It was the same on the 360. Only a selection of OG Xbox games were supported. I assume they're using the same emulator tech (whatever that means)
Seems that way. Real shame they can't update it. Now I've got the bug to play some of these games; guess I'll have to fiddle with PC emulators or something.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
It really is. I keep reading the PS5 thread thinking, boys you know you could have had this already right?

For me, the PS5 still has nowhere near enough exclusive games to justify the cost of what amounts to a poorer equivalent of gamepass + shelling out £60 for the few new games it has.

*Dons riot gear ready*

Last edited:

caid

It really is. I keep reading the PS5 thread thinking, boys you know you could have had this already right?

For me, PS5 still has nowhere near enough exclusive games to justify the cost of what amounts to a poorer equivalent of gamepass + shelling out £60 for the few new games it has.

*Dons riot gear ready*
It wont 18 months in, it cant at this point to be fair. People are making assumptions about the future and they're right to expect a good selection over the course of the consoles life. The PS4 did pretty well in that regard.
The pricing is terrible, your paying a premium and the service doesn't reflect that. No arguments on that front

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
It wont 18 months in, it cant at this point to be fair. People are making assumptions about the future and they're right to expect a good selection over the course of the consoles life. The PS4 did pretty well in that regard.
The pricing is terrible, your paying a premium and the service doesn't reflect that. No arguments on that front
It could but Sony had a huge market lead and no way were they going to come into this console generation seeing a need to appeal to new customers through innovative tactics. As I've said many times, it was the same going from PS2 > PS3.

Nintendo are the same as well. They literally stopped trying when they released BotW and Mario Odyssey (to an extent SSBU) and realised the Switch would print money regardless of the quality of their product.

caid

It could but Sony had a huge market lead and no way were they going to come into this console generation seeing a need to appeal to customers. Their market base allows them to be lapse in waysMicrosoft could only dream of - and which I'm thankful for because ultimately being a discerning consumer sure beats the hell out of being a dogmatic fanboy. No offense Elvis.

Nintendo are the same as well. They literally stopped trying when they released BotW and Mario Odyssey and realised the Switch would print money regardless of the quality of the product.
It reminds of the PS3 a bit in that regard too. They seem to trade pissing off their market and losing business while the other just releases good games at a fair price every generation. They'll get their shit together by the end of the generation when people have stopped paying attention (releasing the last of us on ps3 and a couple of other good exclusives, releasing gamepass on the xbox) and it'll put them in a good frame of mind for building their next console. While the other is printing money hand over fist and its only concern is how they can bleed even more money out of customers.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
It reminds of the PS3 a bit in that regard too. They seem to trade pissing off their market and losing business while the other just releases good games at a fair price every generation. They'll get their shit together by the end of the generation when people have stopped paying attention (releasing the last of us on ps3 and a couple of other good exclusives, releasing gamepass on the xbox) and it'll put them in a good frame of mind for building their next console. While the other is printing money hand over fist and its only concern is how they can bleed even more money out of customers.
Are they pissing off their market though? That's something I can't wrap my head around as it does appear Sony fans are dogmatically positive about any minor thing even when the quality is questionable, and especially so with regard to pricing, whilst also being hypercritical of competing products. Nintendo fans are famously like this, which is why it took a really shoddy product like the Wii U to spur them into being outraged for a change.

Best case I see this generation is Sony losing a huge chunk of their market lead to MS and really trying harder for the next console generation, at which point I'll happily be back aboard the Sony wagon.

caid

Are they pissing off their market though? That's something I can't wrap my head around as it does appear Sony fans are dogmatically positive about any minor thing even when the quality is questionable, and especially so with regard to pricing, whilst also being hypercritical of competing products. Nintendo fans are famously like this, which is why it took a really shoddy product like the Wii U to spur them into being outraged for a change.

Best case I see this generation is Sony losing a huge chunk of their market lead to MS and really trying harder for the next console generation, at which point I'll happily be back aboard the Sony wagon.
Well the market is bigger than Sony fanboys. And most others i've talked to haven't had much good to say about it

Bebe

I don't know if I'm dogmatically positive, but I certainly don't see the PS5 so far being anything like the disaster PS3 launch. The basic PS Plus collection they make available on PS5 is pretty much stacked full of heavy hitters. Horizon and Demon's Souls were both pretty high polish, unmistakably AAA titles along with Ratchet & Clank (which, tbf, I've never played). I feel like there's quite a bit to play on the console, basically.

That being said, I take the point that some of the value propositions MS is starting to offer make everyone else look behind the times. It's not something that's bothered me much, but if I were buying my first console, with no emotional attachment to either company and no existing collection of games on previous gens, Xbox would be comfortably ahead due to gamepass.

caid

I don't know if I'm dogmatically positive, but I certainly don't see the PS5 so far being anything like the disaster PS3 launch. The basic PS Plus collection they make available on PS5 is pretty much stacked full of heavy hitters. Horizon and Demon's Souls were both pretty high polish, unmistakably AAA titles along with Ratchet & Clank (which, tbf, I've never played). I feel like there's quite a bit to play on the console, basically.

That being said, I take the point that some of the value propositions MS is starting to offer make everyone else look behind the times. It's not something that's bothered me much, but if I were buying my first console, with no emotional attachment to either company and no existing collection of games on previous gens, Xbox would be comfortably ahead due to gamepass.
Most of them owned PS4's so the PS Collection wasn't much use to them. It was a good selling point for me to be fair. I've honestly heard next to nothing about Horizon to be honest, i think releasing it next to elden ring didn't do it any favours.
I think theres an element of people not caring as much about sequels. God of War 3 released on PS3 and no one cared really because it was about the 5th one in the series. People were a lot more enthusiastic about the new one because they gave it a bit of room to breathe and it was a fairly new approach to the formula.