Gaming PS5 vs Xbox Series S|X

Which do you think will release first?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ainu

Are they pissing off their market though? That's something I can't wrap my head around as it does appear Sony fans are dogmatically positive about any minor thing even when the quality is questionable, and especially so with regard to pricing, whilst also being hypercritical of competing products. Nintendo fans are famously like this, which is why it took a really shoddy product like the Wii U to spur them into being outraged for a change.

Best case I see this generation is Sony losing a huge chunk of their market lead to MS and really trying harder for the next console generation, at which point I'll happily be back aboard the Sony wagon.
At the risk of sounding dogmatically positive, I think you are downplaying the quality available on PS5 far too much. With releases like Demon's Souls, Returnal, Miles Morales, Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart, even GT7 if you're into that, they still seem as committed to delivering quality games as last generation if you ask me. I specifically omitted Horizon: Forbidden West from that list, I think my comments in that thread prove that I can and will be hyper critical of Sony games if they're not up to it. :lol:

There's no denying the pricing of new AAA titles is excessive, but at least the two best PS5 exclusives, Demon's Souls and Returnal, are already available on the PS Plus Extra tier, so that's a decent start. If you don't feel the need to play each game when it's new and shiny, it's definitely possible to be more economical about your gaming purchases with PSN discounts and such. Is it as good as the service MS is providing? Obviously not even close, but gaming isn't something that can be reduced to pure economics.

I think Sony still have enough going for them to make the comparison to the PS3 era feel a little unfair. They're still releasing quality games, improving their subscription services and they seem committed to supporting PC as a platform as well, which is a plus. And for VR enthusiasts, the upcoming hardware looks great. Their biggest problem, at least in my opinion, is that their entertainment division is led by someone who doesn't have a clue about gamers. There's a weird irony in the PS5 launching with a built-in game like Astro's Playroom, which is a fantastic and loving homage to Playstation's rich history, while at the same time Jim Ryan will never ever understand that and doesn't give a shit about game preservation. If there's one wish I have for the future of Playstation, it's that this guy fecks off and is replaced by someone who actually cares. Fat chance though.

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
Is there a game graphically better than Forza Horizon? Looks bloody amazing.
Amazing game too. More a driving game than a racing game but it's absolutely class.

Alock1

It's really hard to compare games graphics but it's certainly up there as one of the best, and for me probably does win it. Demon Souls close 2nd.

Forza Horizon 4 too looked incredible especially in winter when you were in the mountains.

Miles Morales, Gears 5 Hivebusters and Demon Souls are the other best looking games I've played.

I haven't been back to Horizon FW since the recent shimmering fix. Before that, it really didn't look anywhere near as good as it supposedly should on my TV.

Ratchet looked great but I find it harder to appreciate animated, cartoon style graphics as much. The particle effects were nice though.

Alock1

Must admit I was disappointed with Halo though. I'd love to see Halo taken to a another level.
Yeah same. Thought it looked good but definitely not one of the best looking games around. For multiplayer the clean aesthetic was great, but they definitely could have done better with the single player.

Some of those others we mentioned are cross gen + open world too so can't use those as an excuse.

Bosws87

Is there a game graphically better than Forza Horizon? Looks bloody amazing.
car games always look good as there is so little going on in the majority of the environment. (look at motorstom PS3 and driveclub PS4)

Personally Metro Exodus enhanced edition is the best for me.

Bebe

It's really hard to compare games graphics but it's certainly up there as one of the best, and for me probably does win it. Demon Souls close 2nd.

Forza Horizon 4 too looked incredible especially in winter when you were in the mountains.

Miles Morales, Gears 5 Hivebusters and Demon Souls are the other best looking games I've played.

I haven't been back to Horizon FW since the recent shimmering fix. Before that, it really didn't look anywhere near as good as it supposedly should on my TV.

Ratchet looked great but I find it harder to appreciate animated, cartoon style graphics as much. The particle effects were nice though.
Tried a few mins of Forza Horizon today, I do think Forbidden West edges it although its hard to compare across genres. It feels so much better now that every leaf doesn't shimmer like an Xmas tree. Is your TV OLED?

I'd have both a step above Miles Morales, haven't played Demon's Souls yet.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
car games always look good as there is so little going on in the majority of the environment. (look at motorstom PS3 and driveclub PS4)

Personally Metro Exodus enhanced edition is the best for me.
What is Metro like? Always seeing it on sale.

Woodzy

Imagine paying £450 for rip off games :lol:

But really, the idea games are a necessity in a cost of living crisis is an interesting reach. Just don't buy them if you can't afford them.
Exactly, they are not a neccesity and the prices are clearly advertised.

Digital game prices are fairly obviously too high, but if you can't afford them don't buy them.

Ainu

It's an absurd claim. No one has to buy new, full-price digital versions of games, which are the epitome of a luxury product anyway. And if you do, that's a conscious choice and is clearly only for those with enough disposable income. Why on earth should people get compensated for that?

There are alternatives: wait for digital sales, which are frequent and substantial, subscribe to stuff like PS Plus Extra or Game Pass or, as long as you didn't opt for a discless console, buy physical, which is completely out of the platform holder's control.

The whole thing is insane.

Balljy

It's an absurd claim. No one has to buy new, full-price digital versions of games, which are the epitome of a luxury product anyway. And if you do, that's a conscious choice and is clearly only for those with enough disposable income. Why on earth should people get compensated for that?

There are alternatives: wait for digital sales, which are frequent and substantial, subscribe to stuff like PS Plus Extra or Game Pass or, as long as you didn't opt for a discless console, buy physical, which is completely out of the platform holder's control.

I do think there's an argument that there's no competition on digital console games and that does affect prices. That's across all consoles though, not just Sony. I think the EU will probably bring in a rule eventually anyway as they tend to act against monopolies.

You can compare the pricing to something like Steam to see what competition does to digital prices and I'm not sure the console digital sales are that great in comparison to either that or physical.

Ainu

I do think there's an argument that there's no competition on digital console games and that does affect prices. That's across all consoles though, not just Sony. I think the EU will probably bring in a rule eventually anyway as they tend to act against monopolies.

You can compare the pricing to something like Steam to see what competition does to digital prices and I'm not sure the console digital sales are that great in comparison to either that or physical.
I agree there's a legitimate debate to be had about this and potentially a case to be made for the reintroduction of digital codes via third party sellers. It's the idea of consumers having been "unwittingly overcharged" and deserving compensation that I find ludicrous.

Turnip

likes to be spanked with games consoles
Are games even overpriced though? They aren't much more expensive than they were 20+ years ago, with inflation they're probably cheaper, especially indie titles. And for that same money you're getting a product which cost much more to make and will likely provide you with an insane amount of hours of entertainment. Games cost the same as going for a nice meal, and last a lot longer.

Raw

Exactly, there's plenty of ways to save money when buying games these days. I've never bought a game that cost more than £50, hell I don't even remember the last time I spent more than £40. Just be smart about it. If you really can't afford the new flavour of the month, just wait a little for the sales to start. And if you absolutely need to buy a game first day because all your mates are getting it (like FIFA or COD), surely you'd have saved some money up before release date anyway.

BristolRuss

Not quite true, you can actually buy Xbox digital codes from third-party sites like CD Keys which do tend to be cheaper than the Xbox store.

Abraxas

You can also buy CD keys from regions like Turkey and Argentina and redeem with a VPN. If you buy them at full whack then launch a legal claim for something you willingly engaged in, you're an utter fool.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Are games even overpriced though?
Yes. Buy a game then have 400 billion micro transactions in it, 90% of launched games and bugged to feck or are half complete. Servers are always up and down. Half the shite is just reskinned from the previous year.

Sales are definitely the way to purchase games now, however if you're a online competitive player, you're basically forced to be a day one buyer or fall too far behind.

Single player rules, sales rule. Gaming industry is a mess though, greed everywhere.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Hopefully this case leads to a Nuremberg trial kind of situation with Sony. It’s awful what they’ve done to their poor indoctrinated victims.

Fully Fledged

Imagine paying £479.99 for rip off games :lol:

But really, the idea games are a necessity in a cost of living crisis is an interesting reach. Just don't buy them if you can't afford them.
Fixed it for you.
As for the second point that's why I have games pass. I can afford £10 a month but £70 4, 5 or 6 times a year might get too much with the way that utility prices are going up.

Bebe

I know it’s lazy but nearly a year on has one of these consoles become the clear winner and better investment?
As an owner of both I'd say it's unquestionably the PS5, but I'd also say that I don't think it's worth upgrading from the previous gen yet unless 4k and/or 60fps is a priority for you. Neither console has any big library of games you can't play on previous gen (just with lower performance ofc)

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Real talk, I'd say the answer is PS5 + Xbox Series S.

PS5 has more exclusives which is nice and Xbox Series S is serious value for money with the quality / choice of gamepass.

I've been on the fence about upgrading to the X because I want 4k and Blu-ray functionality but neither things warrant an extra £200.

The X though is the best looking of the three. It's a seriously sexy box.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff

PS5 has more exclusives which is nice and Xbox Series S is serious value for money with the quality / choice of gamepass.
Yeah that is probably the combination to go for. With those and PS+ Extra and GamePass you would likely never need to buy a game again as there's so much to play.

If you can't have both PS+ Extra and Game Pass at same time I'd say first six months PS+Ex, then next six Game Pass once more of their first party games are out and the Activision Blizzard deal closes.

Last edited:

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
They fecked Halo go PS5.

Also the the lack of 60FPS standard for consoles as a whole is embarrassing.

TheReligion

Abusive
Mate the queen is dead and the world in peril. The sun may never shine again and we may be in for a future of perpetual darkness. Now is really not the time to bring up this nonsense again.

But yes, Xbox.
:lol:
As an owner of both I'd say it's unquestionably the PS5, but I'd also say that I don't think it's worth upgrading from the previous gen yet unless 4k and/or 60fps is a priority for you. Neither console has any big library of games you can't play on previous gen (just with lower performance ofc)

I've been on the fence about upgrading to the X because I want 4k and Blu-ray functionality but neither things warrant an extra £200.

The X though is the best looking of the three. It's a seriously sexy box.
Yeah that is probably the combination to go for. With those and PS+ Extra and GamePass you would likely never need to buy a game again as there's so much to play.

If you can't have both PS+ Extra and Game Pass at same time I'd say first six months PS+Ex, then next six Game Pass once more of their first party games are out and the Activision Blizzard deal closes.
They fecked Halo go PS5.

Also the the lack of 60FPS standard for consoles as a whole is embarrassing.
I’m confused here gents. You’re saying buy both the PS5 and the digital Xbox S?

I’m not dropping over a grand on the pair! I’m more of a casual gamer and still have my PS4 to trade in (good condition with box and two controllers - not sure what that would get me)

I’ve owned both PS and Xbox in the past hence me being open to either. Just noticing they are both kind of get table currently…

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"

I’m not dropping over a grand on the pair! I’m more of a casual gamer and still have my PS4 to trade in (good condition with box and two controllers - not sure what that would get me)

I’ve owned both PS and Xbox in the past hence me being open to either. Just noticing they are both kind of get table currently…
In theory the Series S is the winner for the casual gamer simply due to the price (£250 compared to £470) but it depends on what casual games you mean.

PS5 will still be the console for you if you like games like God of War, Spider-man, etc.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'

Probably Series S + Game Pass to be fair. I'm just bitter.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff

Really depends on what kind of games are your bag, though two people in this thread who have owned both have said PS5 is the clear winner.

If you're not bothered about performance and really do want a budget option then Series S and GP is the route to go.