Gaming PS5 vs Xbox Series S|X

Which do you think will release first?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bojan11

Games are going to have minimal differences between the next gen lead consoles, accept it. It's a smaller gap between them than last gen. It'll be like PS360 gen. Some small differences in one platform from time to time...... Everyone should be happy. But of course the Xbox guys aren't, they can't say it'll all look better on XBox anymore it seems....

Doesn't help that they have no games to fall back on either.
PS360 gen favoured the 360, so try again.

No sane multi-platform developer is going to come out in the public and say this is more powerful or whatever. They have business relationships with both companies, so not going to favour one over the other. So whatever you searching for in that article isn’t there. You confused optimisation with performance too.

It’s also a cross gen game. Yes, be happy with your PS5 and portals.

DavelinaJolie

Regarding GamePass, I always have something to play from there. Even he's that don't look great are often quite interesting or fun. Like Golf With Friends, it's janky and all, but I had a really good time playing that with friends. I played through The Touryst in a couple of days, that game is great fun. There's a bunch of smaller titles that get overlooked or dismissed because they don't have the reputation or aren't big enough releases. Some of the best games I've played this gen were through Game Pass (Celeste, for example).

Of course there are gonna be duff games, but having the option to try them and see really allows for discovery of things you may not have given a second look if you were going to put the money down for one game at a time, and to me that is the real value of it.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
PS360 gen favoured the 360, so try again.

No sane multi-platform developer is going to come out in the public and say this is more powerful or whatever. They have business relationships with both companies, so not going to favour one over the other. So whatever you searching for in that article isn’t there. You confused optimisation with performance too.

It’s also a cross gen game. Yes, be happy with your PS5 and portals.
I'm taking the article at face value... You the one trying to explain it away. Why?

You say PS360 gen favoured the 360. It didn't, even with XBox coming out first, being way cheaper, having less exotic architecture, and being hackable (meaning free fecking games!).... It still finished last right? I had both so gtfoh with that shit.

Last edited:

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves
Regarding GamePass, I always have something to play from there. Even he's that don't look great are often quite interesting or fun. Like Golf With Friends, it's janky and all, but I had a really good time playing that with friends. I played through The Touryst in a couple of days, that game is great fun. There's a bunch of smaller titles that get overlooked or dismissed because they don't have the reputation or aren't big enough releases. Some of the best games I've played this gen were through Game Pass (Celeste, for example).

Of course there are gonna be duff games, but having the option to try them and see really allows for discovery of things you may not have given a second look if you were going to put the money down for one game at a time, and to me that is the real value of it.
I’ve downloaded The Touryst to give it a go! Gamepass has worked great for me - I’m steering away from multiplayer games currently as I have a 4 month old kid that has taken priority :p

So pick up an play is great - finished Quantum Break and Deliver Us the Moon, both enjoyable games on gamepass. I’d definitely recommend Deliver Us the Moon anyway, QB is cool at first but kind of flattens out - still enjoyable though.

Not long then until I get my Series X and then onto Cyberpunk :drool:

Bojan11

I'm taking the article at face value... You the one trying to explain it away. Why?

You say PS360 version favoured the 360. It didn't, even with XBox coming out first, being way cheaper, having less exotic architecture, and being hackable (meaning free fecking games!).... It still finished last right? I had both so gtfoh with that shit.
Eh it literally won nearly every digital foundry face off. Which is what you were talking about. You changed the goal posts to sales. Did you play any Bethesda games on PS3? Because they ran like shit. Orange Box was ported from another company and ran like shit because Gabe didn’t want anything to do with the PS3 at the time.

I need to go back on digital foundry and majority of the games performance was better on the 360. GTA V was the biggest title that played better on the PS3 and that came out when both consoles were dying. So yeah you are talking out your arse again and probably change the goalposts again. And the PS3 was jailbroken last time I checked.

Here I will pick a few out for you as you probably too lazy.

Assasins creed

The fact that this ambition doesn't extend to offering the same quality experience to PlayStation 3 owners is bitterly disappointing.
NBA 08
With EA Sports now on its second generation PS3 titles, it's rather disconcerting to see that its development efforts are still lagging behind the Xbox 360 versions, which are clearly improving year-on-year. Bearing in mind how crucial this range of games is to the US market in particular, it'll certainly be intriguing to see what happens next year with the next range of updates. If a mammoth juggernaut with the financial muscle of EA Sports can't treat PS3 development with the same respect afforded to the competition, you really do have to wonder what's going on behind the scenes. Let's hope for better things next year across the whole EA Sports portfolio.
Skate
In optimum conditions, both versions operate at 30fps, but while the 360 version is prone to losing the odd frame when things get difficult to render, the PS3 game judders terribly, falling down to less than 15fps in some cases. Matters are noticeably worse when the game is set to 1080p - yes there is support for the resolution, but the results look pretty poor, and frame rate takes yet another battering. In short, the online petitioners are right, Skate is fundamentally broken on PS3 and I simply can't recommend it.

Splinter Cell Double agent

In all, Splinter Cell Double Agent is a deeply disappointing experience on PlayStation 3. Sure, the core of the game is pretty much the same, and yes there is an extra character and two more maps in the multiplayer mode. But who gives a toss about token improvements when such a colossal lack of care and attention has been paid to the main game itself?
Sonic

So, all told then, a disastrous no-hoper of a game no matter which console you happen to own, but one that just happens to be even more abysmal on the PlayStation 3.
Bayonetta

Bayonetta kicks off with a level called the Falling Clock Tower, a name which only provides a very basic description of the sheer visual majesty to which you are witness. If you've played it in the 360 demo, you'll know that it's very, very special (though it's even better in the full game). It is also completely missing from the respective PS3 sampler, and looking at the final release, it is not difficult to see why. Frame-rate is often running at half the speed of the 360 version and the performance impact, combined with the sheer amount of stuff going on, essentially makes the PS3 version more confusing than playable: you're starved of visual feedback.
Mass Effect 3
However, if you're keen to play the game with a controller in hand, the 360 version is undoubtedly the next in line. Between the console versions, it tends to be far more consistent in meeting its target 30FPS during cut-scenes and heavy combat, accepting that it will discreetly tear at the top 10 per cent of the screen during those peak moments of action. This is a notable lead on the PS3's rigidly v-synced performance which, while better optimised during Priority missions in the game's second act, is still prone to locking at 20FPS during cut-scenes and combat scenarios with multiple characters in view.

Red Dead Redemption

It would appear that the horse-riding sections that punctuate missions are equally smooth on both systems, but in terms of general gameplay during the all-important missions, where we have a range of characters in play, we see that the Xbox 360 sticks pretty well to the 30FPS target frame-rate, while the PS3 can fall short.

Despite already compromising in terms of resolution and frame-rate, it's clear Rockstar had to cut and pare back the PS3 version of the game still further in order to maintain performance. We can see a fairly obvious array of smaller changes between the two versions that almost always favour the 360 rendition of the game.

afrocentricity

Eh it literally won nearly every digital foundry face off. Which is what you were talking about. You changed the goal posts to sales. Did you play any Bethesda games on PS3? Because they ran like shit. Orange Box was ported from another company and ran like shit because Gabe didn’t want anything to do with the PS3 at the time.

I need to go back on digital foundry and majority of the games performance was better on the 360. GTA V was the biggest title that played better on the PS3 and that came out when both consoles were dying. So yeah you are talking out your arse again and probably change the goalposts again. And the PS3 was jailbroken last time I checked.

Here I will pick a few out for you as you probably too lazy.

Assasins creed

NBA 08

Skate

Splinter Cell Double agent

Sonic

Bayonetta

Mass Effect 3

Red Dead Redemption
It's interesting that with all that, later to the party, more expensive, etc... That it still finished last though. (XBox360 was my lead console for the first half of that gen and outside of kinect it was pretty much collecting dust for the final 2 years)

Ok... So it won't be like PS360? Happy now? My (and the codemasters dev) point, that there won't be any major differences stands...

I'm sure once digital foundry confirms it you'll accept it right?

Last edited:

Bojan11

Ok... So it won't be like PS360? Happy now? My point (and the codemasters dev) that there won't be any major differences stands...

I'm sure once digital foundry confirms it you'll accept it right?
Codemasters dev was talking about optimisation not performance, resolution etc. He also isn’t going to come out and say Series X runs better or PS5 runs better.

It’s also a cross gen game. We will see if there’s any real difference when next gen multi format only games come out like Resident Evil next year. The issue is there’s so few next gen only games coming out, so won’t matter in the first few years.

And yes I am looking forward to the digital foundry face offs.

afrocentricity

Codemasters dev was talking about optimisation not performance, resolution etc. He also isn’t going to come out and say Series X runs better or PS5 runs better.

It’s also a cross gen game. We will see if there’s any real difference when next gen multi format only games come out like Resident Evil next year. The issue is there’s so few next gen only games coming out, so won’t matter in the first few years.

And yes I am looking forward to the digital foundry face offs.
Don't optimisation and performance go hand in hand? Don't understand the distinction you're trying to make here.... Anyway, time will tell. XBox has no next gen exclusive gameplay footage to blow us away so here we are...

games were great on 360 when the console didn’t break (54% failure rate lol)
I made a nice bit of money fixing and modding them... I'm not mad at all.

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
Games are going to have minimal differences between the next gen lead consoles, accept it. It's a smaller gap between them than last gen. It'll be like PS360 gen. Some small differences in one platform from time to time...... Everyone should be happy. But of course the Xbox guys aren't, they can't say it'll all look better on XBox anymore it seems....

Doesn't help that they have no games to fall back on either.
Has anyone in here even spent much time talking up the power difference?

PS360 a weird gen to refer to though as there was a huge difference with loads of games.

afrocentricity

Has anyone in here even spent much time talking up the power difference?

PS360 a weird gen to refer to though as there was a huge difference with loads of games.
If you are now pivoting to 'power differential doesn't matter' I agree with you... But most of you XBox guys always go on about how it's the worlds most powerful console and how we'll end up seeing the power difference in games... at some point... in some way...

But not you though it seems, fair enough....

Alock1

If you are now pivoting to 'power differential doesn't matter' I agree with you... But most of you XBox guys always go on about how it's the worlds most powerful console and how we'll end up seeing the power difference in games... at some point... in some way...

But not you though it seems, fair enough....
feck knows about the rest of them. I know I've not really spoken about it though.

Even last gen it was pretty negligible in output but didn't stop people here acting like the PS4 was miles ahead. A lot more time was spent on the subject last gen than this gen.

afrocentricity

feck knows about the rest of them. I know I've not really spoken about it though.

Even last gen it was pretty negligible in output but didn't stop people here acting like the PS4 was miles ahead. A lot more time was spent on the subject last gen than this gen.
So why y'all get triggered by me linking that article then?

Alock1

So why y'all get triggered by me linking that article then?

I wasn't. I'm just saying, it's hardly been the focus of the debate here.

Game pass has been the key.

With power, backwards compatibility, form factor, pro consumer features, studio acquisitions and so on supporting only.

The only embarrassing claims in this thread are the ones suggesting a console is overheating

Alock1

Tbf if Xbox didn’t have backwards compatibility there’d be nothing to play so it’s easy to see why they prioritised it more than Sony.
Good to see you are making the most of these claims whilst you can

You'll have nothing left to say soon

afrocentricity

I wasn't. I'm just saying, it's hardly been the focus of the debate here.

Game pass has been the key.

With power, backwards compatibility, form factor, pro consumer features, studio acquisitions and so on supporting only.

The only embarrassing claims in this thread are the ones suggesting a console is overheating
See this is what happens when you @VeevaVee and @Bojan11 have no next gen exclusive games to talk about.... You're all a bit touchy.

Ok I think I'm done for now. Same time same place next week?

Bojan11

Tbf if Xbox didn’t have backwards compatibility there’d be nothing to play so it’s easy to see why they prioritised it more than Sony.
There would be very little to play on PS5 considering most the games are cross gen you pillock.

The PS5 games you are hyping up is a remake and one that will be out on PS4. You haven’t even played the original spiderman kiddo. Where have you been? Gears 5 is getting new story DLC and impressive upgrades, do we count that as a new game now? What you think @Alock1?

Bojan11

It’s so easy to get a bite. I might take up fishing.
Sure. Truth hurts.

You been hyping up a remake and a game that will be out on the PS4. That’s your so called next gen games. The reality is majority of the people who buy these consoles will be playing multi format games including you and Afro. Demon’s Souls isn’t for everybody. Spiderman is on PS4.

You will be sat on apex and I hope Xbox people join your lobby to destroy you.

Alock1

Didn't you once claim Uncharted was just COD with puzzles?
Obviously tongue in cheek but yes. It's a linear campaign where you move from set piece to set piece and kill everybody who comes across you with ease as the game has terrible AI. I compared it to Gears in that it is a high quality game but not exactly inspiring or innovative.

I've also said how they are guaranteed high quality games and how U4 was my most anticipated game

I gave up halfway through though and the multiplayer was rubbish. I'd had high hopes after TLOU's multiplayer.

DavelinaJolie

I’ve downloaded The Touryst to give it a go! Gamepass has worked great for me - I’m steering away from multiplayer games currently as I have a 4 month old kid that has taken priority :p

So pick up an play is great - finished Quantum Break and Deliver Us the Moon, both enjoyable games on gamepass. I’d definitely recommend Deliver Us the Moon anyway, QB is cool at first but kind of flattens out - still enjoyable though.

Not long then until I get my Series X and then onto Cyberpunk :drool:
Yeah my 4 year old takes up a fair bit of my spare time, but after she goes to bed I'm firing up New Super Lucky's Tale. Quite liked it the first time around and want to play through it again.

Maybe it's just me being an old fogey that remembers getting maybe two games a year for my SNES, but the value of GamePass is really really good. I've played games I wouldn't have that really impressed me. I don't need it to be filled with all the latest and biggest games, as if I'd have time to play Assassin's Creed games anyway (and it's not like they are that good anyway). The variety of games is part of the benefit. I'll never play a horror game or strategy game, but there's always decent platformer/puzzle/shooters on there that I can get into. I've never had nothing to play, or been stuck playing games I didn't enjoy for lack of anything else.

Alock1

You will be sat on apex and I hope Xbox people join your lobby to destroy you.
Xbox players have always been better than PlayStation at competitive games. So would expect nothing less.

Plus, no offense to Elvis but, you can just tell he's pretty crap at games

Afro too

esmufc07

Brad
Scout

Just a small upgrade according to @esmufc07.
Honestly the reason I bought an Xbox a couple of years ago was to play Gears because I loved the first one and hadn’t played any since but I couldn’t believe how terribly it had aged and how clunky the game played. So yeah I don’t really care if Gears 5 is 8k and 360fps.

Bojan11

Honestly the reason I bought an Xbox a couple of years ago was to play Gears because I loved the first one and hadn’t played any since but I couldn’t believe how terribly it had aged and how clunky the game played. So yeah I don’t really care if Gears 5 is 8k and 360fps.
You probably hate it because last time you played, some kid was tea-bagging you in it.

Alock1

Somewhat agree to be honest. I'm really looking forward to Gears 5 multiplayer but I do think at this point it's outstayed it's welcome a bit.

Coalition are clearly a strong studio so I'd be keen to see what they could do with a new IP. Come back to Gears with some sort of reboot later perhaps.

ND needs to do the same with Uncharted.

Both clinging to the same gunplay, movement and mechanisms that were once great but now seem outdated.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
There would be very little to play on PS5 considering most the games are cross gen you pillock.

The PS5 games you are hyping up is a remake and one that will be out on PS4. You haven’t even played the original spiderman kiddo. Where have you been? Gears 5 is getting new story DLC and impressive upgrades, do we count that as a new game now? What you think @Alock1?
They have literally no good points anymore. They’ve lost. It’s done.

afrocentricity

I'm nothing special on MP games, don't have the time to practice and git gud. Actually I was really good at a VR game called Sparc, and the old Battlefield games too.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Great stuff

I'm hoping their next game isn't a reskin

Weren't they meant to be working on some Space game?
No idea. Looking like a new IP from them before probably releasing TLOUIII at the end of the gen.

Quite a few of their staff have been poached by Xbox studios though so who knows?