Gaming PS5 vs Xbox Series S|X

Which do you think will release first?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves
Exactly It’s scraping the bottom of the barrel to criticise haptic feedback in general when clearly it’s just EA being EA.
Personally, I turn off vibration for online play - so haptic would be pointless to me. I don’t see it as a game changer for that reason. I just think Fifa in general is always going to be a garbage benchmark for any controller/console as all they care about is the gambling on Ultimate Team

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Personally, I turn off vibration for online play - so haptic would be pointless to me. I don’t see it as a game changer for that reason. I just think Fifa in general is always going to be a garbage benchmark for any controller/console as all they care about is the gambling on Ultimate Team
Yeh that’s fair enough but I think a lot of people will play online shooters slightly less competitively and those people would appreciate some decent gun haptics. I have obviously heard about the Cold War haptics but as anyone here actually tried it in practice? I wonder if they pulled it off.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
This haptic feedback talk is a perfect example of this quote

Left to their own devices, gamers will optimise the fun out of gaming

rcoobc

I remember playing San Andreas and realising I could just shoot a difficult boss through the door and his escape-chase would never activate.

Of course I exploited it,

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
I just hope the haptic capabilities won't be neglected like the touchpad was on the PS4 controller - all the buzz on release only for developers not to bother doing anything with it years on.
This haptic feedback talk is a perfect example of this quote

Left to their own devices, gamers will optimise the fun out of gaming
Are you saying that gamers will just turn it off if it hampers their ability?

Or that devs will implement it in the same ways?

To the former, I think that's only really true of competitive multiplayer games in which case it's kind of fair enough (if not everybody has to use it)

Kaos

Are you saying that gamers will just turn it off if it hampers their ability?

Or that devs will implement it in the same ways?

To the former, I think that's only really true of competitive multiplayer games in which case it's kind of fair enough (if not everybody has to use it)
Yep, competitive multiplayer games are a whole different realm of gaming though. If you look at all the pros in the PC eSports scenes, they all have £3000+ behemoth rigs yet will still turn down all the settings and play on lower resolutions to give them a competitive edge (e.g turning off foliage options to see enemy players more easily). I'd expect the same from the competitive console scene in regards to this. However for simple non-competitive, couch gaming (i.e the rest of us), I can see it being an appealing and immersive gimmick if the developers actually make use of it.

It also depends on how much 'casual' gamers actually embrace it too. I always find it amusing that the best selling peripheral on the Wii was a normal gamecube style controller, proving that Wii owners eventually got tired of the motion sense gimmick and just wanted to go back to playing nintendo games in the conventional manner.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Don't understand people who play super competitively with no cash involved. Unless your fun is derived solely from winning.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
Don't understand people who play super competitively with no cash involved. Unless your fun is derived solely from winning.
What about the fun from pushing yourself to be better?

There's plenty of reasons to. I wish I still had the time to be competitive at CS for example, as those skills still carry me through in FPS games to this day for example, but alas I don't get nearly the game time. Not even close :(

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
I understand where you're coming from, I don't enjoy playing seriously competitive. It seems like a massive chore, all you're doing is learning the patterns / animations etc and then doing the same thing repeatedly. Seems kind of boring imo, and like actual work.

I much prefer single player and being able to play things at my own pace in a way, and not having the pace of the game dictated to me.

However some people are just mentally competitive. It's what they enjoy and that's fair enough, but it's definitely not for everyone.

Another thing I don't understand is people who just play one (or one series) game, I enjoy different types of games depending on my mood and stuff.

Could not imagine playing 40 matches of fifa in a weekend or whatever it is. That is a chore to me, because it forces you to play so much to get the best prizes, don't necessarily reward you for being the best as such, rewards you for living your life on FIFA.

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
An update in case anyone is interested. Both consoles make some noise when watching 4K movies on a disc. Xbox is loud at first but calms down. Ps5 certainly has a constant hum that I didn’t notice until I muted the sound.

But,I had 2 crashes tonight on the Xbox, both times when I attempted to rewind. Very surprised as it had seemed such a stable machine up to now,

Redlambs

An update in case anyone is interested. Both consoles make some noise when watching 4K movies on a disc. Xbox is loud at first but calms down. Ps5 certainly has a constant hum that I didn’t notice until I muted the sound.

But,I had 2 crashes tonight on the Xbox, both times when I attempted to rewind. Very surprised as it had seemed such a stable machine up to now,
Shhhhh you. You aren't allowed to compare like that on here!

rcoobc

the reports of constant crashes and issues on the Series X and PS5 are really making me worried about the safety of a covid vaccine

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Had crashes with Borderlands 3 and Blood and Truth, well not me, my son. I forgot what early gen gaming can be like...

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff

Yakuza: Like a Dragon failed to make the top 20.

Not in the top 10 for Xbox sales (timed next-gen exclusive until 2021)

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout

Back with the meaningless numbers again. Which console has fecked up the most? That’s the most meaningful one

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Back with the meaningless numbers again. Which console has fecked up the most? That’s the most meaningful one
Well if you sell 1 Xbox and 10 ps5s is probably expect more ps5s to feck up. %age wise it'll be roughly the same , however because nobody has really bought an Xbox we don't hear about them breaking.

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Marxist bacon-hating kebab-dodging Tinder rascal
Scout
"The Switch was the top selling console in November due to high demand and sufficient supply."

Isn't that the most obvious statement ever... "Lots of people wanted it so they bought it, hence it sold a lot"

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Well if you sell 1 Xbox and 10 ps5s is probably expect more ps5s to feck up. %age wise it'll be roughly the same , however because nobody has really bought an Xbox we don't hear about them breaking.
That’s not the case at all and you can tell just by looking at the caf threads. You guys are in denial.

Bojan11

"The Switch was the top selling console in November due to high demand and sufficient supply."

Isn't that the most obvious statement ever... "Lots of people wanted it so they bought it, hence it sold a lot"
What do you expect when the Sony press are leading the media.

They don’t like switch boys like you too. Xbox appreciates the impressive sales number of the switch especially when two new consoles are out. Even with supply constraints for the other two, I didn’t expect Switch to be the best selling console last month.

Riz

Speaking about the Switch, I considered selling mine recently but all CEX will offer is a paltry £140. I'd rather keep the thing as a sexy doorstop.
Was considering the same to be honest as won’t be playing it much at home once I get my hands on a next gen console. But for £140 I’d rather keep it for trains and flights.

Also you could probably get more than £140 on Gumtree or EBay in the run up to Christmas.

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses

The console sold out. These numbers are always pointless as it just reflects how many consoles they had managed to produce in time.

rcoobc

Crashes - mostly PS5 but some on XSS|X
Storage - mostly a problem on PS5
Back Compat - far better on XSX
NEW gen Games - Much better on PS5 in quality, quantity and Performance
Removal of existing features - mostly a problem on PS5
Controller - PS5 takes it

Biggest feck up - easily XSS|X

They needed to hit it out the park at launch and haven't done so. They have one system selling game that everyone is tired of and has been delayed until late 2021

PS5 takes the crown

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
I love how Nintendo just quietly plods along and outsells both of them. :lol:

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Wow I wouldn’t have expected it to catch Xbox, I guess people generally pick one of the Xbox or PlayStation as Nintendo kind of do their own thing.

My sister just got a switch and I was gonna buy her a game for it for Christmas but didn’t realise how expensive games for it are.

Last edited:

rcoobc

Wow I wouldn’t have expected it to catch Xbox, I guess people generally pick one of the Xbox or PlayStation as Nintendo kind of do their own thing.

My sister just got a switch and I was gonna buy her a game for it for Christmas but didn’t realise how expensive games for it our.
Switch game prices are RIDICULOUS

I absolutely refuse to believe it's cartridge Vs disc prices either.

It's also worth pointing out that many families will have several Nintendo Switches being more "personal" whereas they will likely only have one PS4/Xbox console.

So in terms of households with a switch those numbers are probably way lower than Sony households (although more likely to have two)

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Was considering the same to be honest as won’t be playing it much at home once I get my hands on a next gen console. But for £140 I’d rather keep it for trains and flights.

Also you could probably get more than £140 on Gumtree or EBay in the run up to Christmas.
Yeah, I got good use of it when I was travelling but not at all since March. Shame really, it's a good console but better as a handheld I think.

Might consider Gumtree

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"

It's also worth pointing out that many families will have several Nintendo Switches being more "personal" whereas they will likely only have one PS4/Xbox console.

So in terms of households with a switch those numbers are probably way lower than Sony households (although more likely to have two)
It's not the cartridges. It's Nintendo's business model of keeping the prices high, same as the Wii U which used Blu-ray's.

Turns me off a lot tbh but I know they a lot of people happy to spend £50

Smores

I need a solution to playing whilst away over Christmas. Not buying a switch so what's the best cloud alternative right now via Android? Geforce, Stadia, Xbox cloud??

Redlambs

It's not the cartridges. It's Nintendo's business model of keeping the prices high, same as the Wii U which used Blu-ray's.

Turns me off a lot tbh but I know they a lot of people happy to spend £50
Why are they ridiculous? I mean the way the second hand market keeps them so high is, but that's not on Nintendo. Older games ported on to it are set at the price the publisher thinks they'll get, which is why I tend not to buy them myself until they drop.

Their store, like any other, always has sales on too.