Gaming PS5 vs Xbox Series S|X

Which do you think will release first?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
Why are they ridiculous? I mean the way the second hand market keeps them so high is, but that's not on Nintendo. Older games ported on to it are set at the price the publisher thinks they'll get, which is why I tend not to buy them myself until they drop.

Their store, like any other, always has sales on too.
They are ridiculous because :

For multi-plats, the switch is normally the worst version. No one with a switch and another console has an incentive to get the switch version, being worse and more expensive.

For exclusives, 3+ years old games are often near full price.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Why are they ridiculous? I mean the way the second hand market keeps them so high is, but that's not on Nintendo. Older games ported on to it are set at the price the publisher thinks they'll get, which is why I tend not to buy them myself until they drop.

I'm not applying an objective statement. Just saying that for how much I like Nintendo games - which is kinda but not as much as, say, Olly - they're a bit too pricey for me.

Totes depends on the game though. BotW, Mazza Odyssey and Smash are cracking.

Nintendo, to their credit, understand their market.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
They are ridiculous because :

For multi-plats, the switch is normally the worst version. No one with a switch and another console has an incentive to get the switch version, being worse and more expensive.

For exclusives, 3+ years old games are often near full price.
So, graphics is basically your argument?

The Switch has a very unique place with the portability aspect, so that makes a difference. However the cost to produce the games is the same, moreso in some cases where they have to have extra staff in for the engine/assets changes.

In any case, do you think Cyberpunk should be £10 on the ps4/xbone? Or should the PC version be £100 as it's at least 10x as good?

I do agree with the overall point that it's annoying they hold their value and also that the publishers take the piss at times, but not with your assertion that it's purely down to "worst version" being graphically.

Redlambs

I'm not applying an objective statement. Just saying that for how much I like Nintendo games - which is kinda but not as much as, say, Olly - they're a bit too pricey for me.

Totes depends on the game though. BotW, Mazza Odyssey and Smash are cracking.

Nintendo, to their credit, understand their market.
This makes sense, I agree mate.

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses

I assume they purposely don't make many copies in order to try and keep them high? And of course people tend to keep hold onto them. It's smart, but it is annoying as even games out for 2 years it can be hard to get below 40 second hand.

I do think their approach or lack of to back compat is frustrating though. I've bought some of their old ports multiple times, and they tend to have done just the bare minimum to make them work.

Alock1

Switch game prices are RIDICULOUS

I absolutely refuse to believe it's cartridge Vs disc prices either.

It's also worth pointing out that many families will have several Nintendo Switches being more "personal" whereas they will likely only have one PS4/Xbox console.

So in terms of households with a switch those numbers are probably way lower than Sony households (although more likely to have two)
To be fair, on the Switch you can play them on the go which is a pretty big differentiator for lots of people.

The third party titles don't tend to hold their value as much as the first party stuff either.

rcoobc

The Switch has a very unique place with the portability aspect, so that makes a difference. However the cost to produce the games is the same, moreso in some cases where they have to have extra staff in for the engine/assets changes.

In any case, do you think Cyberpunk should be £10 on the ps4/xbone? Or should the PC version be £100 as it's at least 10x as good?

I do agree with the overall point that it's annoying they hold their value and also that the publishers take the piss at times, but not with your assertion that it's purely down to "worst version" being graphically.
Indeed the switch versions obviously costs a lot more to do but that's not the problem of the consumer. That would be the cause of a death spiral in most organisations (sub-optimal product at higher prices) but Nintendo are Nintendo.

And to be fair, Apple and Apple

Last edited:

Redlambs

Indeed the switch versions obviously coats a lot more to do but that's not the problem of the consumer. That would be the cause of a death spiral in most organisations (sub-optimsl product at higher prices) but Nintendo are Nintendo.

And to be fair, Apple and Apple
I get where you are coming from, but think of it logically too. I mean PC games are much cheaper on the whole than their console counterparts, yet are nearly always vastly superior. If even for mod support alone. So do we expect PS5/SX games to drop in price, Series S games further, and PC games to raise in price?

I think the issue is more the 3rd party publishers getting away with the switch releases way down the line when the same games are already on sale on other machines. But we disagree on it being a problem of the consumer, it obviously is. I mean even if we don't go into expectations and want the people want from their games, at the very basic level they continue to buy the bloody things!

For example, if I think a game release on the Switch or anything else is overpriced, I don't pay and I wait.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I would say I expected more from XBox this time around..... But I'd be lying. I'll reappraise in 12 months....

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Crashes - mostly PS5 but some on XSS|X
Storage - mostly a problem on PS5
Back Compat - far better on XSX
NEW gen Games - Much better on PS5 in quality, quantity and Performance
Removal of existing features - mostly a problem on PS5
Controller - PS5 takes it

Biggest feck up - easily XSS|X

They needed to hit it out the park at launch and haven't done so. They have one system selling game that everyone is tired of and has been delayed until late 2021

PS5 takes the crown
What’s the games? You got one probably. Sackboy barely counts as next gen. Miles is an updated add on.

As for feck ups - our ps5 thread alone has been full of them. It’s a piece of shit. Workarounds for this. Workarounds for that. This thing isn’t working. Don’t do this or it might brick your console :lol:

Let’s not forget the gimmicks on your controller that people are already asking how to turn off.

Ps5 takes a crown made of turds. They’ll all no doubt be in a landfill this time next year.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
What’s the games? You got one probably. Sackboy barely counts as next gen. Miles is an updated add on.

As for feck ups - our ps5 thread alone has been full of them. It’s a piece of shit. Workarounds for this. Workarounds for that. This thing isn’t working. Don’t do this or it might brick your console :lol:

Let’s not forget the gimmicks on your controller that people are already asking how to turn off.

Ps5 takes a crown made of turds. They’ll all no doubt be in a landfill this time next year.
Yeah because there is only you who has bought the Xbox :lol: you wouldn't even tell us if it blew up and caused a fire.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Yeah because there is only you who has bought the Xbox :lol: you wouldn't even tell us if it blew up and caused a fire.
Dunno what you mean by the first bit. Going off what I’ve seen all over the internet.

I’ve literally not had a single issue with mine, other than quick resume didn’t seem to be working for a little bit.

No need to get defensive. You guys are troubled.

rcoobc

There is no doubt the Xbox is the better machine at this stage, but the Xbox just doesn't have any new gen games

Last edited:

Alock1

They're is no doubt the Xbox is the better machine at this stage, but the Xbox just doesn't have any new gen games
Gears 5, Horizon 4, Sea of Thieves, Gears Tactics are as next gen as Miles Morales.

The only one that stands out is Demon Souls. Sony planned things well - a remake, and what is essentially an expansion (short story using the exact same world as a previously released game? They couldn't have done that with almost anything else)

Obviously Astrobot is great for the short time you'll play with it, but it's not 'next gen' the same way those Kinect games weren't on the Xbox One.

Neither machine has much from a proper next gen perspective, as is true at the start of every gen.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Gears 5, Horizon 4, Sea of Thieves, Gears Tactics are as next gen as Miles Morales.

The only one that stands out is Demon Souls. Sony planned things well - a remake, and what is essentially an expansion (short story using the exact same world as a previously released game? They couldn't have done that with almost anything else)

Obviously Astrobot is great for the short time you'll play with it, but it's not 'next gen' the same way those Kinect games weren't on the Xbox One.

Neither machine has much from a proper next gen perspective, as is true at the start of every gen.
Great post.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Obviously Astrobot is great for the short time you'll play with it, but it's not 'next gen' the same way those Kinect games weren't on the Xbox One..
That's a weird take to be honest. Everyone I know who played Astro was blown away by it. If that doesn't constitute next gen then what does?

I think I've put a good 7 or 8 hours into it too so it's not just some tech demo either, it's a decent sized game.

ShinjiNinja26

Who gives a shit how much a console sells? If you’re happy with the console you’ve got then what does it matter? I’ve never bought something and thought oh feck loads more people are buying this thing I better get rid and buy that one.

Reactions: VeevaVee

rcoobc

Yeah to be fair, neither console has a bunch of next-gen games.

PS5 has Astros playroom though, Demon Souls and Ratchet and Clank coming out.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Who gives a shit how much a console sells? If you’re happy with the console you’ve got then what does it matter? I’ve never bought something and thought oh feck loads more people are buying this thing I better get rid and buy that one.
Same weirdos that buy iphones and Macs.

Alock1

That's a weird take to be honest. Everyone I know who played Astro was blown away by it. If that doesn't constitute next gen then what does?

I think I've put a good 7 or 8 hours into it too so it's not just some tech demo either, it's a decent sized game.
I loved Astros too. It's great for its use of the tech rather than being a great platformer, that isn't to say it's not great. I doubt people would have bought it if it wasn't a pack in though, and I think any impact on sales is for the potential it shows in the controller rather than the game itself.

Whether it's 'next gen' or not isn't something I personally really care about to be honest. I guess you couldn't play it on old gen due to the controller so fair enough.

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Marxist bacon-hating kebab-dodging Tinder rascal
Scout

Yeah I find it funny that people always say the "best" version is what has the best graphics. Switch games are portable which could easily be used to say they're the "best" version, too.

Anyway, the reason Nintendo games never, or rarely, drop in price is because they sell, simple. Animal Crossing on Switch sold more copies in six months than any Playstation game has ever sold, in any time period.

And even then it's not the best selling Switch game.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
By the way, this is their big ‘next gen’ game they’ve not stopped mentioning :lol:

woah super next gen that, I’ve really missed out

Alock1

Yeah to be fair, neither console has a bunch of next-gen games.

PS5 has Astros playroom though, Demon Souls and Ratchet and Clank coming out.
And talking about games coming, Xbox has Flight Simulator by the Summer and that'll be the most 'next gen' game on either console

Bosws87

clutching at straws comes to mind from the last page or so.

Series X runs worse in what 90%ish of the games on both platforms, has no killer game, nvm games at launch.

but we have Microsoft Flight simulator to look forward to.

Come back in 2 years time it may be a different playing field then for now apart from on these forums, its rare the xbox is even mentioned its all PS5 when and how can i get one.

Redlambs

Series X runs worse in what 90%ish of the games on both platforms, has no killer game, nvm games at launch.

Come back in 2 years time it may be a different playing field then for now apart from on these forums, its rare the xbox is even mentioned its all PS5 when and how can i get one.
Great post.

Bojan11

@VeevaVee how is the new COD on Xbox?

Alock1

Flight Sim looks genuinely class, so no clutching at straws there.

No killer game but an absolutely killer app/value prop in Gamepass. Even before the consoles came out that had grown from 10 to 15m in 6 months, and of the consoles sold so far there was a 70% attach rate which is insane (for those of you that care about sales numbers..)

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout

The killer game - Demon Souls :lol:

Alock1

Demon's Souls looks great, if I was to get a "next-gen" console to play one game it would be that.
Fair choice mate

There are some incredible games on Gamepass that you'd love, though I appreciate you are more about physical media and less subscriptions so model probably isn't for you. But games like Ori, Call of the Sea, Haven and so on..

Bojan11

Fair choice mate

There are some incredible games on Gamepass that you'd love, though I appreciate you are more about physical media and less subscriptions so model probably isn't for you. But games like Ori, Call of the Sea, Haven and so on..
Are you on commission?

Bosws87

Flight Sim looks genuinely class, so no clutching at straws there.

No killer game but an absolutely killer app/value prop in Gamepass. Even before the consoles came out that had grown from 10 to 15m in 6 months, and of the consoles sold so far there was a 70% attach rate which is insane (for those of you that care about sales numbers..)
let’s just say if the Xbox had demons souls on launch and the ps5 people threw out but we have flight simulator coming the responses would be ridicule.

Alock1

People not on Xbox look past gamepass and it's routinely glossed over on this forum, but it's the most killer thing on any console, and it's only really once you have it that you 'get' it

Best thing about PS5 for me has been the PS+ Collection, if Sony actually add to it and it wasn't just a launch perk or a token gamepads competitor then great.

A collection of top quality games that I can access at any point is worth far more to me than having to spend £50-70 on a single experience.

I wish Switch had something similar, and would happily pay £10+ a month for it.

Bojan11

let’s just say if the Xbox had demons souls on launch and the ps5 people threw out but we have flight simulator coming the responses would be ridicule.
To be fair @Alock1 has finished more Sony games than the PS fanboys on here.

Also nothing wrong with Flight Simulator.