Gaming PS5 vs Xbox Series S|X

Which do you think will release first?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bojan11

;)

Nah just buying another and selling the duff one.... You seem happy enough though.

@Alock1 himself has played enough PS5 exclusives to kill that arguement you Muppet. Got any decent XsX exclusive gameplay footage for me?
Have you played any of these PS5 exclusives? Or do you just sit there and list them. Then play old games.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Gears 5 again? I guess if that's all you guys can ever dig up I'll have to take it. Definitely a system seller... DLC for a last gen game that takes a few hours to complete!

For your question, I've played Astrobot... I'll get to the others (plural) as soon as I can.

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
Gears 5 again? I guess if that's all you guys can ever dig up I'll have to take it. Definitely a system seller... DLC for a last gen game that takes a few hours to complete!

For your question, I've played Astrobot... I'll get to the others (plural) as soon as I can.
DLC for a last gen game that only takes a few hours to complete? Are you talking about Miles Morales?

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
DLC for a last gen game that only takes a few hours to complete? Are you talking about Miles Morales?
Honestly, there’s something wrong in the head with this lot.

Totally oblivious to the delusions and hypocrisy they spout. Liverpool fans of the gaming world.

afrocentricity

You guys aren't good at list wars either are you? What are you good at? Moaning about Sony?

Kaos

The fanboying here is hilarious to watch :lol:

I think both consoles are brilliant value that for the first time can actually give PC gaming a real run for its money.

Out of the two launch titles though I think PS5 is the winner and its not even close. The Xbox doesn't have an answer to Demon Souls, end of. As a PC gamer there's also no incentive for me to ever buy an Xbox unfortunately, which is a shame since I adored my 360 and I actually prefer the Series X's features, UI and aesthetic over the PS5's.

Microsoft really ought to buy more studios if they want to be competitive in this particular race. Bethesda is a nice acquisition but they've been spitting out absolute turds in recent years. Someone like CD Projekt red could be a decent grab considering their stock price is at an all time low.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
The fanboying here is hilarious to watch :lol:

I think both consoles are brilliant value that for the first time can actually give PC gaming a real run for its money.

Out of the two launch titles though I think PS5 is the winner and its not even close. The Xbox doesn't have an answer to Demon Souls, end of. As a PC gamer there's also no incentive for me to ever buy an Xbox unfortunately, which is a shame since I adored my 360 and I actually prefer the Series X's features, UI and aesthetic over the PS5's.

Microsoft really ought to buy more studios if they want to be competitive in this particular race. Bethesda is a nice acquisition but they've been spitting out absolute turds in recent years. Someone like CD Projekt red could be a decent grab considering their stock price is at an all time low.
Hmm? They've been buying loads of studios up in the last few years, and assembling their own.

Xbox Game Studios - Wikipedia

Kaos

Hmm? They've been buying loads of studios up in the last few years, and assembling their own.

Xbox Game Studios - Wikipedia
Nothing in that list hardly screams system-seller to me though with the exception of perhaps Obsidian. Rare haven't really been relevant in 20 years, whereas many of the others studios have primarily been focused on PC titles anyway. If Bethesda actually pull their finger out and update their awful janky engine from the dark ages then perhaps they'd be a game changer, otherwise they're going to need system sellers that match the pulling power of games like God Of War, Persona, TLOU, Demon Souls, Horizon, etc.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Nothing in that list hardly screams system-seller to me though with the exception of perhaps Obsidian. Rare haven't really been relevant in 20 years, whereas many of the others studios have primarily been focused on PC titles anyway. If Bethesda actually pull their finger out and update their awful janky engine from the dark ages then perhaps they'd be a game changer, otherwise they're going to need system sellers that match the pulling power of games like God Of War, Persona, TLOU, Demon Souls, Horizon, etc.
Some of their new studios have an impressive list of poached people from other studios I believe. I agree they've quite a way to go to match the likes of Santa Monica and Naughty Dog for quality but they'll get there, probably.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
As always, this thread is devolving into Sony is best because it makes the best third-person action games.

Sigh.
Yet everyone is slating Ghost of Tsushima in the actual PS5 thread. Silly bastards

VOTE VEEVAVEE FOR BEST FANBOY 2020

Shamwow

listens to shit music & watches Mrs Brown's Boys
PS5 definitely has the biggest blockbusters and the most successful launch, and I'll be getting one for the next God of War but as a device to have fun playing a wide variety of games with, I don't see how the Xbox + Game Pass can be beat right now.

Kaos

As always, this thread is devolving into Sony is best because it makes the best third-person action games.

Sigh.
Who said that? I merely mentioned that I don't think Microsoft has enough decent exclusives to outsell the competition...so far, I actually prefer their console in every other aspect. And I don't think its objectively wrong for me to point out their launch titles aren't brilliant - Sony aren't exactly flooding the market with incredible launch games either, but MS still doesn't have an answer to the excellent Demons Souls.

I should stress I don't really have a horse in this race since I'm predominantly a PC gamer that mostly leans on my Switch for console gaming.

Alock1

Who said that? I merely mentioned that I don't think Microsoft has enough decent exclusives to outsell the competition...so far, I actually prefer their console in every other aspect. And I don't think its objectively wrong for me to point out their launch titles aren't brilliant - Sony aren't exactly flooding the market with incredible launch games either, but MS still doesn't have an answer to the excellent Demons Souls.

I should stress I don't really have a horse in this race since I'm predominantly a PC gamer that mostly leans on my Switch for console gaming.
The biggest system seller is gamepass

PS5 will sell most because it has the market share and brand affinity and has done for 30 years. Xbox 360 was only able to overtake because it came out a year before, was a lot cheaper, and already had some killer hits in Gears of War and Oblivion. Plus, Sony absolutely let up in so many areas - was a huge balls up.

If you swapped the studios and exclusive game output, Playstation would still have more sales.

Kaos

PS5 will sell most because it has the market share and brand affinity and has done for 30 years. Xbox 360 was only able to overtake because it came out a year before, was a lot cheaper, and already had some killer hits in Gears of War and Oblivion. Plus, Sony absolutely let up in so many areas - was a huge balls up.

If you swapped the studios and exclusive game output, Playstation would still have more sales.
It might still sell more because of the rabid loyalty Sony have built up over decades, but I’d expect the Xbox to at least be more competitive.

Also as great value as game pass is, it’s not going to be enough to compel people to embrace the Series S/X. You’re essentially tempting players to buy a new console by giving them a chance to play older gen games? I could just get game pass on my PC or if I had one - my Xbox one and I’ll be set either way. What incentive would I have to pick up a next gen Xbox?

The fact is they still need a next gen system seller. We all expected the new Halo game to be that but that still looks a good way off being ready.

Balljy

I think that's a bit unfair on people. I haven't bought either yet as I will wait for the slim models / new revisions as I always do on console generations but will buy the one that has the most games that I want to play at that time. If that is MS I will buy the Series X, I suspect that won't be the case based on history but we'll see. I know they've bought studios but unless they manage to turn AAA games around very quickly surely we will only see the real fruits of that in around 3 or 4 years?

The only reason for most people to buy a console is the games it has available. A forum isn't a good indicator of the usual families who go out and buy these things without spending masses of time researching and talking in threads. A large proportion look to see which console has the games they enjoy on it and historically Sony have been the kings at that. Where Sony do have an advantage is that some of those games people are looking for are "the next uncharted" or the "next god of war" but Sony have legitimately built that up for themselves over many years.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
PS5 definitely has the biggest blockbusters and the most successful launch, and I'll be getting one for the next God of War but as a device to have fun playing a wide variety of games with, I don't see how the Xbox + Game Pass can be beat right now.
The most average blockbusters ever

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"

I'm only messing. I agree that Sony has the best system sellers and @Alock1 is right that they have a stronger brand.

Gamepass though is really cool and the variety of games is outstanding, similar I think to what it felt like being a PC gamer:
  • Bloodstained
  • Ori
  • Forza Horizon 4
  • Gardens Between Worlds
  • Dragon Quest XI
These are the last five games I played - all very different - and I don't think I could go back to buying games outright now I've downed the Gamepass juice.

My Switch is sitting there and I'm thinking, do I really want to spend £50 on a single game now? The honest answer is no (unless it's BotW 2).

Last edited:

Alock1

It might still sell more because of the rabid loyalty Sony have built up over decades, but I’d expect the Xbox to at least be more competitive.

Also as great value as game pass is, it’s not going to be enough to compel people to embrace the Series S/X. You’re essentially tempting players to buy a new console by giving them a chance to play older gen games? I could just get game pass on my PC or if I had one - my Xbox one and I’ll be set either way. What incentive would I have to pick up a next gen Xbox?

The fact is they still need a next gen system seller. We all expected the new Halo game to be that but that still looks a good way off being ready.
It grew by 5 million subscribers in 6 months this year, before the new consoles were even out. MS primary objective is to get as many people on Gamepass as possible, whether via console or not. It's already great - but when Microsoft's 25ish studios are pumping out first party content every few months and there's a constant stream of games coming to it with real variety, it's only going to shoot up in subs.

They sold out of all their stock so far in all the key regions. I'm sure they aren't concerned. Sony may have sold double PS4s than Xbox Ones, but 50m+ is still a good number and that + gamepass will be bigger this gen I'm sure.

I think that's a bit unfair on people. I haven't bought either yet as I will wait for the slim models / new revisions as I always do on console generations but will buy the one that has the most games that I want to play at that time. If that is MS I will buy the Series X, I suspect that won't be the case based on history but we'll see. I know they've bought studios but unless they manage to turn AAA games around very quickly surely we will only see the real fruits of that in around 3 or 4 years?

The only reason for most people to buy a console is the games it has available. A forum isn't a good indicator of the usual families who go out and buy these things without spending masses of time researching and talking in threads. A large proportion look to see which console has the games they enjoy on it and historically Sony have been the kings at that. Where Sony do have an advantage is that some of those games people are looking for are "the next uncharted" or the "next god of war" but Sony have legitimately built that up for themselves over many years.
There will be smart consumers like you who weigh things up based on the overall package, of course. But the vast majority will buy the brand they've always bought unless 1 has a huge advantage on price and/or availability (like X360 - which even then, by the end of the gen PS3 had caught up and has now overtaken)

afrocentricity

If we're gonna do Miles (Spiderman) Vs Hive busters (Gears)... It's still a fecking bust for MS :lol:

Kaos

I'm only messing. I agree that Sony has the best system sellers and @Alock1 is right that they have a stronger brand.

Gamepass though is really cool and the variety of games is outstanding, similar I think to what it felt like being a PC gamer:
  • Bloodstained
  • Ori
  • Forza Horizon 4
  • Gardens Between Worlds
  • Dragon Quest XI
These are the last five games I played - all very different - and I don't think I could go back to buying games outright now I've downed the Gamepass juice.

My Switch is sitting there and I'm thinking, do I really want to spend £50 on a single game now? The honest answer is no (unless it's BotW 2).
Dragon quest is on game pass? Sweet, might pick it up for a month or so then.

Kaos

It grew by 5 million subscribers in 6 months this year, before the new consoles were even out. MS primary objective is to get as many people on Gamepass as possible, whether via console or not. It's already great - but when Microsoft's 25ish studios are pumping out first party content every few months and there's a constant stream of games coming to it with real variety, it's only going to shoot up in subs.

They sold out of all their stock so far in all the key regions. I'm sure they aren't concerned. Sony may have sold double PS4s than Xbox Ones, but 50m+ is still a good number and that + gamepass will be bigger this gen I'm sure.

There will be smart consumers like you who weigh things up based on the overall package, of course. But the vast majority will buy the brand they've always bought unless 1 has a huge advantage on price and/or availability (like X360 - which even then, by the end of the gen PS3 had caught up and has now overtaken)
Yeah fair enough. I suppose console sales probably aren't the metric they're chasing considering both the big dogs are likely taking a loss on them. Microsoft are certainly smart to bunker down with game pass. I'd still like to see them to acquire a few more excellent triple A IPs that aren't the usual Forza/Gears/Halo formula. If Obsidian and Bethesda get to work they could really suck up the rpg crowd for starters.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
As usual, Sony boys come in with silly shit and buzzwords then wank each other off, and the Xbox fellas respond with straight facts and sound logic.

Shamwow

listens to shit music & watches Mrs Brown's Boys
The most average blockbusters ever
Look at game of the year lists for 2020, how many are xbox games and how many are PS games? The IGN xbox game of the year award only has 4 nominations which is embarrassing!

Alock1

If we're gonna do Miles (Spiderman) Vs Hive busters (Gears)... It's still a fecking bust for MS :lol:
Miles is £50, Hivebusters is £15 and for vast majority of people is just a nice added addition on gamepass. On top, Gears 5 is also included in gamepass and had a free next gen upgrade, unlike Spiderman Remastered that along with Miles costs £70

And - the Remastered is a code even if you buy Miles physical edition (which I did) so you lose any resale value on the ultimate edition

I platinum'd the Spiderman remaster, it's an amazing game. But I still had to pay £70 unlike getting Gears 5, Hivebusters and a next gen upgrade all included.

The 2 games are different, but both equally impressive on the visuals for me.

Alock1

Exactly the same here with my Switch! My PS5 is getting use out of the PS+ Collection and obviously Astros was packed in. But I said before I'm not sure how much I'll use it longer term just because I don't really want to buy full priced games anymore unless I'm going to get a lot of replay value and they need to be played at launch (which only really applies to some online multiplayer games). It was annoying to spend £70 on Spiderman, when I spent £60 to get 3 years of Gamepass Ultimate.

Balljy

I still think it is more on the game brands than the console brand for a lot of consumers and that's something MS are trying to resolve with their studios. It takes a couple of generations for the games to produce sales though as they have to be associated with the console to force a purchase.

Spiderman, TLoU, God of War, Gran Turismo, Infamous, Ratchet and Clank. Uncharted, Bloodborne, Horizon and others are associated with PlayStation and that's a hell of a lot of people looking at those games.

MS have started the job, but it will take a while for them to catch-up as they are up against somebody who has spent a decade or more working on the basis of building up a catalogue of titles which have the ability to entice people. A lot of this is marketing of course, but having exclusives allows you to do that.