Gaming PS5 vs Xbox Series S|X

Which do you think will release first?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
I believe dirt 5 on Series X will run at 1080p/120fps.

What a shame that the new Ass Creed games runs at 30 fps. That's trash.
What's wrong with 30 FPS for a single player game.

Horizon zero Dawn. Uncharted 4. Ratchet and Clank. All games they got plaudits for their visuals one way or another @ 30 fps

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
What's wrong with 30 FPS for a single player game.

Horizon zero Dawn. Uncharted 4. Ratchet and Clank. All games they got plaudits for their visuals one way or another @ 30 fps
Games play better at 60. That's a fact. Give me that option at least. They really could not give a 1080p/60 fps option with the new CPU'S on next gen?

30FPS games- all fur coat, no knickers.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
Which is exactly the point.

Graphics sells. It's weird to me that people are fine with a sluggish archaic framerate from the 90's in 2020 as if it doesn't matter. Horizon looks great but it's sluggish as hell, why do you think there's a performance option? People are fine with that, I have no problem with their opinion if they genuinely don't have a reference, but everyone who thinks that should really play it on PC at 60 or more (144 is a dream with a 144hz monitor). The difference is unknown to casuals/console players and again that's fine.

But to act like fps is a new term or a buzzword or even about graphics alone, then I'll refer back to my point earlier in the thread. Also, I'm not sure why a game being single player would change it too, what's the logic there?

Last edited:

rcoobc

Games play better at 60. That's a fact. Give me that option at least. They really could not give a 1080p/60 fps option with the new CPU'S on next gen?

30FPS games- all fur coat, no knickers.
AC Valhalla is a cross-gen game made by a studio that churns out games.

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
Regardless of whether you prefer FPS or graphic fidelity, the question surely has to be about choice.

Every AAA game should give the user two or three preset options, if they aren't willing to give a slider of sorts.

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
:lol:

The only problem you really get with PC games these days, rather ironically, is the fecking shit xbox app.
Jesus, tell me about it!
The amount of time I've had to mess around getting my mic to work on there is unbelievable. Finally sorted it though!
Although my friend, for whatever reason when in there, always has hissing with his mic, yet fine in discord. We've tried everything online and nothing works

Redlambs

Regardless of whether you prefer FPS or graphic fidelity, the question surely has to be about choice.

Every AAA game should give the user two or three preset options, if they aren't willing to give a slider of sorts.
Yep, I agree. They won't though, at least not properly. We've had a few necessary concessions the past few years with the 4k/hdr stuff, but all in all they want console games to be about the looks for sales.

If anyone were going to do it, you'd think something like Fortnite would for the comp side. But Sony, Ms and Ninty all used to not allow pc style graphics settings, so maybe they still don't.

Redlambs

Jesus, tell me about it!
The amount of time I've had to mess around getting my mic to work on there is unbelievable. Finally sorted it though!
Although my friend, for whatever reason when in there, always has hissing with his mic, yet fine in discord. We've tried everything online and nothing works
As I said in another thread, I had to completely wipe my son's laptop and restart just to get Sea of Thieves downloaded, and now my main pc (which is optimised to feck, I know what I'm doing) was corrupted by a windows update and the Halo MCC one not co-operating, so now it's fecked for installing. I've also had issues with some pass games not letting me install off the bat. Loads of people have had these issues, especially with the game pass.

I've cancelled the pass now, and when SoT comes out on steam (they've finally been allowed, because even the devs themselves hate the xbox app/ms store system) I doubt I'll be using that app again. It's shockingly amateurish :lol:

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
PCs have more cheaters online. They take more set up to play any games. Their a faff.

It's not just about money.
And that ultimately, most people just want to play with their mates. Even if you wanna build one, most people don’t wanna be pissing about with a pc just to play games on, so your mates might not have one.

If crossplay becomes more popular then that’s no issue of course.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Yep, I agree. They won't though, at least not properly. We've had a few necessary concessions the past few years with the 4k/hdr stuff, but all in all they want console games to be about the looks for sales.

If anyone were going to do it, you'd think something like Fortnite would for the comp side. But Sony, Ms and Ninty all used to not allow pc style graphics settings, so maybe they still don't.
And so they shouldn’t. There shouldn’t be much room for manoeuvre at all there. Some PC players are basically cheating on Warzone with their shite graphic settings rendering any camo useless.

Redlambs

And so they shouldn’t. There shouldn’t be much room for manoeuvre at all there. Some PC players are basically cheating on Warzone with their shite graphic settings rendering any camo useless.
There's a big difference between in game settings done properly and stuff like the nvidia highlights that is an outside program and I personally agree is sketchy since a lot of games are yet to take it into account. Although I thought Warzone fixed that, or have they not yet?

Anyhow I'm not sure how that would affect console games, as the closed environment makes it much easier to make sure those things don't happen.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
There's a big difference between in game settings done properly and stuff like the nvidia highlights that is an outside program and I personally agree is sketchy since a lot of games are yet to take it into account. Although I thought Warzone fixed that, or have they not yet?

Anyhow I'm not sure how that would affect console games, as the closed environment makes it much easier to make sure those things don't happen.
Not sure if they’ve fixed it. Have seen some vids recently where they have terrible graphics but don’t know recently they were recorded.

I guess it could be much more limited on console to avoid any major benefit.

rcoobc

The only problem you really get with PC games these days, rather ironically, is the fecking shit xbox app.
Yeah sounds like you have a few issues with it!
Ugh feck xbox on PC. I'm going to get rid of the gamepass (which is pretty shite on that anyway).

Fresh from having to completely reinstall windows on my son's laptop because the store fecked up Sea of Thieves download (great game btw if anyone has it and fancies a voyage) and no fix worked, now it has fecked up my Halo MCC because of an update IT started and then fecked up. So they try to lock you out of your own files and hide partial downloads all over the place, and even when you find and delete all of them their own systems in place to reset the store/xbox app fail.

It's absolute bullshit how people haven't called them out more on just how bad the system is. From a simple task like finding a game, to an even more simpler task like trying to get in a friends game, the whole thing is archaic and just pure trash to use. I know streamers do go on about how bad it all is, but there's no real appetite to change it.

feck Microsoft and feck the trash Xbox division. No wonder everything is jumping to Steam.

/rant

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
Not sure if they’ve fixed it. Have seen some vids recently where they have terrible graphics but don’t know recently they were recorded.

I guess it could be much more limited on console to avoid any major benefit.
To be fair though.
Valhalla would surely breeze 60fps just by going from 4k to 1440p. Even 120fps could be doable at 1080p.
That's easy options

rcoobc

There is always some problem.

Me: Plays Portal Stories: Mel

Why have I got this screen tearing? Let's try turning V Sync on. Well thats not working. Let's try to limit FPS to 60 FPS. Well thats not working, let's go into NVidia Settings and force V Sync on. Still not working.

Rinse and repeat.

Now of course the downside of PS/Xbox is that Portal Stories Mel isn't ever going to be on them :lol:

But I don't believe there is any PC Gamer who doesn't get these issues sometimes. I just dont have time. I get maybe 20 minutes to game a day if that.

I gave up on Portal Stories Mel in the end

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses

I think there's a few examples. Not to the level of PC but more than we've had before.

Apex has a Field of View slider, on COD you can turn off film grain, motion blur, change colour scheme etc.

If the preset is the one that is highest fidelity and that is what is used in the marketing, surely it wouldn't have a huge impact to have the option to use a lesser Res for higher frames. They could still set a base line to make sure it met a certain standard.

If a load of games are going to be cross-gen for the first few years then second-stream marketing is going to be blurred anyway with various graphical outputs on show.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
https://www.vg247.com/2020/06/03/unreal-engine-rewrite-ps5-ssd-speed/
Epic Games had to rewrite parts of Unreal Engine to keep up with the PS5’s SSD
https://venturebeat.com/2020/05/29/...rmed-what-to-expect-from-the-june-4-showcase/
On top of all that, developers and publishers continue to praise the design of the PS5. Some have told GamesBeat that it has a better architecture than any console in history. So studios may find it a joy to work with.
The talk about this new SSD and IO is intriguing...
@Redlambs any thoughts on this stuff?

Last edited:

Redlambs

I'm pretty sure I said on here a while ago that it's a much better designed system. I've not got a copy of the sdk myself, but from what I hear the focus was on using the SSD more to help with bottlenecks and it has worked, to a degree. The CPU is still a weak link, but it's not trash. Because of the streaming capability though, I'd expect only the 1st party games to take full advantage of the new ways to build levels/open worlds this allows. Obviously cross platform titles will still need to be designed around the Xbox too, as the power advantage it has won't help much there. .

But of course, it's not going to be some amazing game changer out of the box and will rely on developers coming up with ways to use that speed so it's not just going to be about loading times.

As for Epic, they've said a few things lately about the PS5 which reads a lot like hype and some bumf. However it does beg the question why they are sucking up to Sony? I'm willing to bet at least part of it is tied to them finally agreeing to PS4/Xbox cross platform with Fortnite, maybe even leading to a fully fledged store release on the PS5.

Art Vandelay

With this extra power I hope they stop just pushing graphics, we're already approaching the point of diminishing returns with that. Isn't it about time we got some sort of AI upgrade? Enemy AI in most games is still kind of pathetic, it still feels like the original Halo was the last big step up for AI. Team mate AI remains often a joke.

It just feels like games in general are kind of stagnating and it needs something new, not just fancier graphics and quicker loading times.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
With this extra power I hope they stop just pushing graphics, we're already approaching the point of diminishing returns with that. Isn't it about time we got some sort of AI upgrade? Enemy AI in most games is still kind of pathetic, it still feels like the original Halo was the last big step up for AI. Team mate AI remains often a joke.

It just feels like games in general are kind of stagnating and it needs something new, not just fancier graphics and quicker loading times.
Yeah I’d agree with this. I loved Sekiro and it’s one of my favourite games but it was let down by dreadfully dumb AI at times.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
They’ve been saying PlayStations are easier to design games for and more powerful for generations now, yet games are no different on it, give or take a fraction of draw distance or something. The exclusives on PS, as good as some of them are, were hardly some incredible feat that would’ve been impossible to achieve on Xbox, and that’s proof it means nothing. Surely no one falls for this stuff anymore?

Redlambs

They’ve been saying PlayStations are easier to design games for and more powerful for generations now, yet games are no different on it, give or take a fraction of draw distance or something. The exclusives on PS, as good as some of them are, wouldn’t have been much different if they’d been cross platform, and that’s proof it means nothing. Surely no one falls for this stuff anymore?
Lots do, that's why they keep putting it out there.

Art Vandelay

Yeah I’d agree with this. I loved Sekiro and it’s one of my favourite games but it was let down by dreadfully dumb AI at times.
Even the best games are let down by the fact you're essentially facing idiots. I think Alien Isolation was maybe the last time I felt like enemy AI wasn't just me toying with fools.

Would you recommend Sekiro if someone isn't particularly enamoured with the Dark Souls formula? I see it on sale on Xbox Live at the minute and I'm so bored I'm tempted, but don't really get the appeal of Souls games.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans

This really. Of course I love upgrading graphics but I would prefer revolutionazing gameplay

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Even the best games are let down by the fact you're essentially facing idiots. I think Alien Isolation was maybe the last time I felt like enemy AI wasn't just me toying with fools.

Would you recommend Sekiro if someone isn't particularly enamoured with the Dark Souls formula? I see it on sale on Xbox Live at the minute and I'm so bored I'm tempted, but don't really get the appeal of Souls games.
Sekiro is awesome, but first playthtough is frustratingly difficult. I had to go online to look for guide in almost every mini-boss and boss fight.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
They’ve been saying PlayStations are easier to design games for and more powerful for generations now, yet games are no different on it, give or take a fraction of draw distance or something. The exclusives on PS, as good as some of them are, were hardly some incredible feat that would’ve been impossible to achieve on Xbox, and that’s proof it means nothing. Surely no one falls for this stuff anymore?
The PS3 was easier to design games for?

esmufc07

Brad
Scout

I’m not a huge fan of the Souls games but I loved Sekiro so yeah I’d recommend it. It requires patience to get used to the games mechanics and some of the bosses are insanely hard but it’s worth it. Tempted to replay through it myself in all honesty.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
But of course, it's not going to be some amazing game changer out of the box and will rely on developers coming up with ways to use that speed so it's not just going to be about loading times.
What sort of things do you see on the horizon? Other than the gameplay from the UE5 demo what new types of gameplay would you think to use this stuff for?

Art Vandelay

I’m not a huge fan of the Souls games but I loved Sekiro so yeah I’d recommend it. It requires patience to get used to the games mechanics and some of the bosses are insanely hard but it’s worth it. Tempted to replay through it myself in all honesty.
Hhmm I might give it a go. I'm essentially just putting on games then abandoning them after a few hours lately.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Hhmm I might give it a go. I'm essentially just putting on games then abandoning them after a few hours lately.
The battle system is really enjoyable and there’s a great sense of satisfaction when you start to master it. Different strategies are required for different enemies/bosses and it’s got a fairly good story. The Japanese setting is also:drool:

Bojan11

Generations?

PS3 wasn’t easy to develop for.

Art Vandelay

The battle system is really enjoyable and there’s a great sense of satisfaction when you start to master it. Different strategies are required for different enemies/bosses and it’s got a fairly good story. The Japanese setting is also:drool:
I could do with swording some stuff in the face ninja style. Even though some Japanese people recently stole £70 from me with their nostalgia based lies. I'd love a 4k remake of Ninja Gaiden 1+2 now that I think about it.

Sold! I'll give it a go. Even though I don't seem to be as good at games as I used to be. My thumbs are old and slow.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
I could do with swording some stuff in the face ninja style. Even though some Japanese people recently stole £70 from me with their nostalgia based lies. I'd love a 4k remake of Ninja Gaiden 1+2 now that I think about it.

Sold! I'll give it a go. Even though I don't seem to be as good at games as I used to be. My thumbs are old and slow.
Enjoy!

rcoobc

My bad, I got mixed up. The Xbox was easier to design games for that gen and didn’t see much difference, so the point still stands.
have a look at RDR1 and GTA IV

Or the early gen COD (BO/MW/WAW/MW2)

I think one of the early EA games just (nearly) completely disregarded the CELL.

They all ran better on Xbox. I struggled to play RDR because it was so low res