Gaming PS5 vs Xbox Series S|X

Which do you think will release first?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
You still getting PS5? What games are you going to buy it for?

Will you be playing Yakuza on series x? Nope.
Yakuza looks cool actually. I'm planning on trying Yakuza 0 on gamepass first to consider whether to get the new one.

I still have a PS5 pre-ordered but haven't decided whether to keep it or not yet. I'll definitely buy one at some point, and I don't think I'd want to wait until a mid-gen upgrade or slim model. With gamepass though I'm trying to buy less games until I'm confident I can get round to playing them and will get value out of it (if I buy at launch and by the time I play them they are half the price..)

I am holding off picking Spiderman back up on PS4 though as I'm that far into it, so maybe I'll grab that.

Alock1

Remember when a couple of people on here thought they could make Zelda in Spark?
Seems you were considering building your self-designed Zelda type RPG in it at one point mate ;)

I did once get nearly get funding for a Zelda type RPG that I fully designed, but I do have other ideas that have never been done before so I'll probably go with one of them.

I'm not buying an xbox one for this though. At first I'll use the 360 or change one of my pc's to windows 8 to test it all out.

Bojan11

I only play racers/shooters but hyped a asymmetric Fable multiplayer and a game creator called Project Spark. Can't tell if I'm mainstream or hipster.

I never hyped Fable Legends. After the trailer I said it looked cool and I liked the premise, and then when we saw more I said I thought it lacked in potential to some of the other IPs they were bringing out (Quantum Break, Sunset Overdrive)

Project Spark didn't get the funding it needed, and didn't have the right commercial model. It had huge potential and I still believe that games that allow people to create accessibly have a huge future. The stuff that Dreams is doing is amazing, and I expect to see more sandbox creation type games to come.

Lots of people here were excited by the look of Project Spark, including One Night Only, afro and even Redlambs.

Funnily enough, something like Project Spark would be fantastic on Game Pass. Especially if you could cut those games out and make the really popular / polished ones and give them their own spotlight on game pass to play as separate games.

Regarding Fable Legends. I never hyped it. After the trailer I said it looked cool and I liked the premise, and then when we saw more I said I thought it lacked in potential to some of the other IPs they were bringing out (Quantum Break, Sunset Overdrive).
Oh that makes it alright then. The guy who the other day was excited about a portal was hyped for project spark.

You basically hyped up Fable Legends in that post. You just can’t help yourself. How many times are you going to mention that game to me?

Quantum break was average.

Alock1

Oh that makes it alright then. The guy who the other day was excited about a portal was hyped for project spark.

You basically hyped up Fable Legends in that post. You just can’t help yourself. How many times are you going to mention that game to me?

Quantum break was average.
Haha I just moved it to the top of the post and forgot to remove.

Agreed on Quantum Break, it took too long and didn't realise it's potential. I also got fatigue at that type of game (I actually opted to get Uncharted 4 over QB which I had 'hyped' even more, and didn't finish and was really disappointed with it)

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
Seems you were considering building your self-designed Zelda type RPG in it at one point mate ;)
I've designed and made games both amateur and professionally though. I also offered to help people on here with design and a plan. And no I clearly say there I was thinking of another idea :p

But in all seriousness Spark was a great idea, coming from a self taught amateur/indie background I wanted it to succeed but if you remember correctly I did bang on and on about people not over reaching and about how few would stick it out past the first week if they went in with ridiculous expectations.

Then they went with a terrible pricing plan which put so many people off too, because no one was going to buy content packs like that if they couldn't even create a basic game

Alock1

I've designed and made games both amateur and professionally though. I also offered to help people on here with design and a plan. And no I clearly say there I was thinking of another idea :p

But in all seriousness Spark was a great idea, coming from a self taught amateur/indie background I wanted it to succeed but if you remember correctly I did bang on and on about people not over reaching and about how few would stick it out past the first week if they went in with ridiculous expectations.

Then they went with a terrible pricing plan which put so many people off too, because no one was going to buy content packs like that if they couldn't even create a basic game
You were thinking about another idea but it was responding to people talking about creating a 'zelda type' game in Spark and you seemingly saying 'I do actually have a Zelda type game designed I could build but I've got a few others ideas I'll do instead'. That's how it read to me :). I know you didn't mean that you could build an equivalent to Zelda in it though.

Agree. The commercial model was the cause of it's failure. Maybe it wouldn't have reached it's potential as people wouldn't put the time into it, but usually there are a few standouts. It's the sort of game that can get people into developing and inspire things. We've seen a number of fully-fledged games start as mods elsewhere for example.

Anyway, getting excited about the potential of games that are on the horizon is just part of being a gamer. It's like getting excited for a new United signing. If you can't get excited then what's the point. Once the games are out, I'm always fair in critique.

Bojan11

Yakuza looks cool actually. I'm planning on trying Yakuza 0 on gamepass first to consider whether to get the new one.

I still have a PS5 pre-ordered but haven't decided whether to keep it or not yet. I'll definitely buy one at some point, and I don't think I'd want to wait until a mid-gen upgrade or slim model. With gamepass though I'm trying to buy less games until I'm confident I can get round to playing them and will get value out of it (if I buy at launch and by the time I play them they are half the price..)

I am holding off picking Spiderman back up on PS4 though as I'm that far into it, so maybe I'll grab that.
Yakuza zero is great, but don’t expect the new one to be similar. 7 is turn based combat, so it will be a totally different experience.

Surprised you haven’t finished Spiderman considering how you loved Sunset overdrive.

Alock1

Yakuza zero is great, but don’t expect the new one to be similar. 7 is turn based combat, so it will be a totally different experience.

Surprised you haven’t finished Spiderman considering how you loved Sunset overdrive.
It's more of a personal circumstances change to be honest, which is why I'm only just picking up my Switch again and cracking through the back catalogue.

That's one of the things I find interesting actually. Sunset was clearly a precursor for Spiderman and was the perfect game for them to build to deliver a great Spiderman experience (open world & key, traversal). But similarly, Control feels like a successor to Quantum Break and looks like it takes something that had potentially and delivers a really solid experience.

If they had been first party studios and not 2nd party licensing that Microsoft didn't then persist with a relationship on, look at what could have been.

Redlambs

You were thinking about another idea but it was responding to people talking about creating a 'zelda type' game in Spark and you seemingly saying 'I do actually have a Zelda type game designed I could build but I've got a few others ideas I'll do instead'. That's how it read to me :). I know you didn't mean that you could build an equivalent to Zelda in it though.

Agree. The commercial model was the cause of it's failure. Maybe it wouldn't have reached it's potential as people wouldn't put the time into it, but usually there are a few standouts. It's the sort of game that can get people into developing and inspire things. We've seen a number of fully-fledged games start as mods elsewhere for example.

Anyway, getting excited about the potential of games that are on the horizon is just part of being a gamer. It's like getting excited for a new United signing. If you can't get excited then what's the point. Once the games are out, I'm always fair in critique.
I know mate.

Still never hurts to have a little rib here and there ;)

I'm actually getting quite excited now for the release dates as they get closer, despite all my moaning about nothing being that interesting from the off I still have that gamer feeling of not wanting to wait to open that box and get a new machine hooked up :drool:

Alock1

It's still exciting to get a new phone to use the same apps as before, a new tele to watch the same films or a new laptop to post on the same forums. It's only really consoles where we feel we need to justify them with exclusives that only that device can play.

As someone with base Xbox (well, One S) and PS4, the quality of life improvements alone are huge for me. I just wish Cyberpunk was getting it's next gen patch at release - that alone would put a whole different shine on things for me.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
It's still exciting to get a new phone to use the same apps as before, a new tele to watch the same films or a new laptop to post on the same forums. It's only really consoles where we feel we need to justify them with exclusives that only that device can play.

As someone with base Xbox (well, One S) and PS4, the quality of life improvements alone are huge for me. I just wish Cyberpunk was getting it's next gen patch at release - that alone would put a whole different shine on things for me.
PC gamers are the silliest. Get an average of 160 FPS at ultra settings? Got to get those numbers up. (144hz monitor).

We're all so used to chasing numbers in games (22 defensive points Vs 15) we really forget what the point of games are, and that is to have fun.

The biggest thing you are spending is minutes and hours of your short life.

The big improvement of the PS4 over the PS3 is that it was easier to program for. More games can be made, more fun can be had.

We don't need to chase 4k 120fps

The biggest game at the moment is Among Us

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
PC gamers are the silliest. Get an average of 160 FPS at ultra settings? Got to get those numbers up. (144hz monitor).

We're all so used to chasing numbers in games (22 defensive points Vs 15) we really forget what the point of games are, and that is to have fun.

The big improvement of the PS4 over the PS3 is that it was easier to program for. More games can be made, more fun can be had.

Great post.

Bojan11

It's more of a personal circumstances change to be honest, which is why I'm only just picking up my Switch again and cracking through the back catalogue.

That's one of the things I find interesting actually. Sunset was clearly a precursor for Spiderman and was the perfect game for them to build to deliver a great Spiderman experience (open world & key, traversal). But similarly, Control feels like a successor to Quantum Break and looks like it takes something that had potentially and delivers a really solid experience.

If they had been first party studios and not 2nd party licensing that Microsoft didn't then persist with a relationship on, look at what could have been.
MS should have bought Insomniac, but I guess Sunset didn’t do too well in terms of sales.

Buying Insomniac would have meant someone else would have had to make Spiderman, which probably would have taken longer as Insomniac basically had the assets ready from sunset and of course no portals.

Alock1

MS should have bought Insomniac, but I guess Sunset didn’t do too well in terms of sales.

Buying Insomniac would have meant someone else would have had to make Spiderman, which probably would have taken longer as Insomniac basically had the assets ready from sunset and of course no portals.
It's a shame because I genuinely believe Sunset was a great game. Lots of people on here had it down as their GOTY. Even it did only get 81 on metacritic..

Again, it's another game that is perfect for the Game Pass era. A few people try it for free, word spreads and it gains traction. And offers the sort of variation needed.

Wonder if anybody buys Remedy.

Redlambs

There's a reason why people who play fps (as an example) want as high an fps as possible, and hz of the monitor has nothing to do with it.

It's also not just about numbers, literally everything in terms of gameplay is affected by fps too. Even in Among Us.

Absolutely nothing wrong with variation in gaming, nothing wrong with people wanting to push the limits either. The only issue is when companies create bullshit buzzwords and people on the Internet argue over them without even knowing what they mean :lol:

Alock1

Very true!! And even on console it's Fall Guys.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

What do you make of Dreams?
No they fecking shouldn't have! They've already taken a handful of potential VR game developers away from me...

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Having done more research than I have ever done before on a console 'war', it's clear to me that this is a bit like choosing between heads or tails. Comes down to personal preference and specifics.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Having done more research than I have ever done before on a console 'war', it's clear to me that this is a bit like choosing between heads or tails. Comes down to personal preference and specifics.
Xbox:
More power
Cheaper games
Game Pass
Elder Scrolls and the like as exclusives

PS5:
Not very good
Take ages to load UI
Bore Turismo and a few Assassin's Creed ripoffs
Elvis

DavelinaJolie

I can only assume you're talking to the PS5 guys there, who have lost yet again
I think the whole thing is pretty weak tbh. A lot of it is tongue in cheek, but some of the social media response around the slow released information is absolutely childlike.

DavelinaJolie

I really think the main deciding factors are:

1. Where your friends will be playing.
2. Where your existing digital library is.