Gaming PS5 vs Xbox Series S|X

Which do you think will release first?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
I've not touched xbox since 360 so I'm not really aware of how good gamepass has been but looking at the list of games on it right now it's not exactly great?

I'm guessing new games go on there and get removed after a certain amount of time?
There's 110 titles above 80 on Metacritic on console alone.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
How many are those are 360 games?

That's link I'm looking at,it ain't great
https://www.xbox.com/en-GB/xbox-game-pass/games
First page, doom and Forza 7. For a tenner a month it's well worth it, games come and go.

Same as the PS Now thing, the sub is 100% worth it on either if you have time to complete one game every one or two months tbh.

Then you get games like Forza is a good time killer.

You're not going to get 100AAA titles. A lot of games in them which are little known gems too.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
There's a fair few good games on GamePass to be fair. There's also a lot of junk (similar to Now), but for the price I don't think you can have too many complaints.

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
Bear in mind that it will soon have all EA Play/Access vault games added (to Ultimate subscription) and I assume in the near future all Bethesda's back catalogue will get moved over as they figure that stuff out

Then, every new Xbox first party game that will come from their studio roster. I think 2022 onwards you could well be seeing a new first party game added every 3 months.

Recently it has had games like Red Dead 2, GTA 5. Now it looks a bit weaker, I think they're saving a few announcements for closer to launch but let's see.

Bosws87

Bear in mind that it will soon have all EA Play/Access vault games added (to Ultimate subscription) and I assume in the near future all Bethesda's back catalogue will get moved over as they figure that stuff out

Then, every new Xbox first party game that will come from their studio roster. I think 2022 onwards you could well be seeing a new first party game added every 3 months.

Recently it has had games like Red Dead 2, GTA 5. Now it looks a bit weaker, I think they're saving a few announcements for closer to launch but let's see.
GTA 5 is 7 years old which is crazy in itself.

RDR 2 is one of the best looking most realistic games, but its soo boring to play.

Ori is the game you should be shouting about on the game pass those 2 games are wonderful.

Alock1

RDR 2 is one of the best looking most realistic games, but its soo boring to play.

Ori is the game you should be shouting about on the game pass those 2 games are wonderful.
Yep GTA is old but it's still one of the biggest games there is

Agree on Ori

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
Spoke to bloke who got the Series X review console about the absence of Series S reviews/testing and he says they are sending them out soon.

Naturally I'm assuming it's because they are a bit underpowered, but latest word on the vine is that they are better than expected and closer to the Series X in performance than they really should be. Time will tell.
Does that not mean the Series X is worse than expected

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604

I can't agree on the RDR2 thing! That's feckin ridiculous! Brilliant game! Didn't get bored at all.

Still need to complete the first ori, rage quit when I couldn't get past a certain part :lol:

Then into the 2nd! First was brilliant till it got to a shitty part I couldn't do. Then it sucked :lol:

Bosws87

I can't agree on the RDR2 thing! That's feckin ridiculous! Brilliant game! Didn't get bored at all.

Still need to complete the first ori, rage quit when I couldn't get past a certain part :lol:

Then into the 2nd! First was brilliant till it got to a shitty part I couldn't do. Then it sucked :lol:
Haha i wanted to love RDR2 so bad, but it was so damn boring and just never ended i finished it but it was more of forcing myself to do it.

See the appeal of Ori for me is the difficulty so little amount of games these days that are actually a challenge you can breeze through nearly every game released if your a semi competent gamer.

I miss the high difficulty of the older games, play Mario 3 on the SNES the difficulty was a challenge now mario games as great as they are, just too easy!

Cuphead is another fantastic game with similar difficulty curve to Ori.

Alock1

I didn't find Ori particularly hard to be honest and completed it fine. Cuphead on the other hand I couldn't stop dying from level 1

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Can't remember what bit of ori I got stuck on now, I kinda remember an upside down bit (with weird controls)? That was annoying, but think I got passed that at some point.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Brilliant. Just looked at a walkthrough and I am 100% sure I was right near the end :lol: fecks sake man. Oh well, I get to play it all again :drool:

Bojan11

https://www.vice.com/en/article/88a4ba/the-ps3-and-vita-are-being-buried-alive

But speaking to Kotaku in August [2010], Sony Computer Entertainment of America's director of marketing John Koller, said "Now that we're at a point where we're three years into the lifecycle of the PS3...there are so many PS3 disc-based games that are available that we think — and noticed this from our research — that most consumers that are purchasing the PS3 cite PS3 games as a primary [reason].” The PS3 Slim wouldn’t feature backwards compatibility at all. Three years into the PS3 lifecycle and the dreams of everyone who traded in their PS2s to buy PS3s were as dead as many of those launch models. This foreshadowed a trend in Sony's thinking. Three years ago, Sony's head of global sales, Jim Ryan made headlines by saying, of PS1 and PS2 games, "they looked ancient, like why would anybody play this?"

Sure, plenty of consumers only care about the newest, blockbuster games. The ones that maximize the latest technology Sony and Microsoft can squeeze into their "little" $600 boxes. We like the New. We've been conditioned to like the New. To be dazzled by "progress." Even to see the old, as Ryan does—inferior, unworthy.

We'll ignore the fact that retro and throwback games featuring visuals modeled after PS1 games (and earlier) are popular with consumers and developers alike. That lo-fi and physical media carry a cache of tangible, practical cool. Or that Sony is absolutely aware of the vocal demand for backwards compatibility (and that Microsoft, GoG, and Steam have all shown the success of historical games catalogs).
Jim Ryan is pushing an ideology here as much as he’s trying to directly sell. It’s a laser targeted bit of marketing bullshit designed to do two things: First, it’s hiding the fact that Sony doesn’t care about the margins on old games. If we assume they get the industry standard of 30% for platform royalties—30% of $5 or $10 isn’t the kind of money Sony wakes up for. Especially not the small numbers old games tend to sell. Every person buying a PS5 will likely buy Demon’s Souls 5. At $70, that’s a shitton of money. But the original Demon’s Souls on PS3? It’s an embarrassment to shareholders having something old and at a bargain price on their ecommerce portal.

But the other thing Jim Ryan is doing here is programming consumers. It’s low-key conditioning. “See that mountain? You can climb it.” has become jokingly synonymous with Bethesda’s approach to open world design, consumers of Bethesda games have come to expect it or something like it.

“See those old games? They’re trash,” is what Sony hopes their consumers will come to believe. Because the more they bake “Newer, Better, More Expensive” into their own personal worldview—the better for Sony’s ongoing sales of new hardware and especially first-party games. Money is boring. Capitalism is boring. They’re not interesting arguments, and yet it’s crucial we talk about them because if we don’t we can’t fracture these marketing mythologies and understand what is really being communicated to us.
Console manufacturers aren't invested in so-called "legacy content." The margins are slim, the interest is substantially lower than the mass market interest in New Shit.
And we've basically accepted this. Sony doesn't need to include backwards compatibility to sell PS5s. The bid didn't work with the PS3 in the end. And full price remasters of old games have proven much more profitable on the PS4 than the slim sales numbers of so-called "legacy content" ever could.

The only reason the PS5 is getting backwards compatibility is because Demon's Souls alone isn't going to move new consoles on its own, and bringing the recent generation over is much easier between these two generations. Sony learned the lesson from the PS3 that having a complicated architecture is like having weird parents—no one wants to come to your house to play.

But it won't last. Eventually even the PS4 will be cut loose, too. Shareholders don't get excited seeing old games sold cheap on their websites. Hardware will get deprecated, it will stop functioning, and then our options to play those games will become even more limited.

All these games, more or less exist. They will continue existing unaltered until the last PS3 dies beyond repair and the Blu-Rays erode beyond salvation. Without Sony taking a vested interest and a firm commitment to backwards compatibility, preservation, and allowing consumers access to these games—the best we can hope for is the work of emulator developers and the people who create ROMs and ISOs outside of approved channels to maintain even some semblance of what these games were.
With the disconnection of the PS3 and Vita from the website, Sony is sending a clear statement of intent. They don't care about these consoles anymore. They're too old to be viable for them. Eventually, as we saw with the Wii, or Wii U, and 3DS (in Latin America and the Caribbean) stores, they will be gone entirely.

The bottom line must be preserved. Never the games that originally built it.
Oof @esmufc07.

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
So I have purchased 3 years of game pass ultimate a couple of weeks ago and today pre ordered demons souls and miles morales.

Just need consoles now and I am all set...

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
I didn't find Ori particularly hard to be honest and completed it fine. Cuphead on the other hand I couldn't stop dying from level 1
I thought the first game was an absolute bastard, especially the chase sequences. Played the second directly after and found it a good bit easier (but still a decent challenge).

Bojan11

No atmos or DTS X on the PlayStation. Dolby vision coming to Xbox next year for gaming. Guess Sony don’t want to pay licensing fees. Unlucky @esmufc07.

Balljy

Can you explain it in layman’s terms
Xbox use licenced audio software to create "3d" sound where the sound can come from higher, lower or nearer / further dependent on how many speakers you've got. Sony are using something called 3D audio which is software using Tempest which they've developed rather than licenced. https://www.whathifi.com/features/ps5-3d-audio-what-is-it-how-do-you-get-it

I think the Sony solution is headphone only for now, so is not as developed but it will support speakers in the future.

Last edited:

Bojan11

Can you explain it in layman’s terms
Explain what?

It’s simple, PS doesn’t have Dolby Vision Atmos or DTS X because they don’t want to pay the license fee and PS will be using their own in house sound for gaming. So as it stands the PS as a multimedia device will be lacking compared to Xbox because it’s missing the biggest audio and video technology. They can change their mind and pay the license later on. But at the moment as we going by those boxes, it is missing them. But you got your UI in 4K and I have my peaky blinders on netflix in Dolby Vision, so it’s all good.

Dolby Vision is coming to series x next year for gaming, which is going to rival HDR 10.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
@VeevaVee what, the feck, are you on about?

On the audio, PS5 audio is supposed to be superior, but as I just use a TV bar or headphones I'm sure it'll all be the same to me anyway.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
@VeevaVee what, the feck, are you on about?

On the audio, PS5 audio is supposed to be superior, but as I just use a TV bar or headphones I'm sure it'll all be the same to me anyway.
You cried for help from @Redlambs when you were struggling to stay above water one night here, then got rinsed by him and stopped posting. It's ok if you've repressed the memory

Last edited:

afrocentricity

In the next-gen race, while the PS5 boasts its blazingly fast SSD, the Xbox Series X touts other advantages, chief among them being its GPU, which at 12 teraflops, outmatches the PS5’s 10.28 teraflops of GPU power, at least as far as pure numbers are concerned.
Speaking in any interview with GamingBolt, when asked about the difference between the GPUs of the two next-gen consoles, Moreton said, “From development and gameplay perspectives, it doesn’t really have an impact. When it comes to tuning, tweaking and optimizations at the end of a game, it might mean slightly less work for one platform.”

Of course, it’s worth noting that on top of all that, multiplatform developers will also have to keep the Xbox Series S’ much less powerful GPU in mind, which means the gap between the PS5 and Xbox Series X is going to end up being irrelevant.
From here...

You cried for help from @Redlambs when you were struggling to stay above water one night here, then got rinsed by him and stopped posting. It's ok if you've repressed the memory
Stop chatting shite...

Bojan11

@afrocentricity is getting my vote for poster of the year.
Why? Because he’s confused about cross gen games.

Think he needs to read too

From development and gameplay perspectives, it doesn’t really have an impact. When it comes to tuning, tweaking and optimizations at the end of a game, it might mean slightly less work for one platform.”
He’s comparing optimisation not performance. Try again @afrocentricity.

afrocentricity

Games are going to have minimal differences between the next gen lead consoles, accept it. It's a smaller gap between them than last gen. It'll be like PS360 gen. Some small differences in one platform from time to time...... Everyone should be happy. But of course the Xbox guys aren't, they can't say it'll all look better on XBox anymore it seems....

Doesn't help that they have no games to fall back on either.