Gaming PS5 vs Xbox Series S|X

Which do you think will release first?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Yeah, so you've been sticking to first party and new games. We have <100gb left. The Surge 2 keeps crashing btw, you should try it it's a great game. You might get good.

Now this I respect! Good man :lol:

BTW do you have a laptop/PC available? Even if it's a bit old and shit?
Just watched the trailer in the store. I can’t tell if it actually looks good or not. Or what the feck it’s actually like. Is it online multiplayer or single player?

Only thing I have is an old MacBook. Why’d you ask?

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
Just watched the trailer in the store. I can’t tell if it actually looks good or not. Or what the feck it’s actually like. Is it online multiplayer or single player?
It's the closest thing to Demon's Souls on the gamepass, but that doesn't do it justice. It's a "souls" like game, but has a decent flavour of it's own. It crashes a fair bit, but it's really worth checking out for a new game to play.

Only thing I have is an old MacBook. Why’d you ask?
We've got a decent little caf crew on discord playing a ghost hunting game I think you might like. It's called Phasmophobia and people have been playing it on macs and it doesn't need much power. You like trolling, well imagine a spooky horror game that genuinely scares the shit out of you, but you can feck with people in.

Ask @RedSky how that feels :lol:

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
It's the closest thing to Demon's Souls on the gamepass, but that doesn't do it justice. It's a "souls" like game, but has a decent flavour of it's own. It crashes a fair bit, but it's really worth checking out for a new game to play.

We've got a decent little caf crew on discord playing a ghost hunting game I think you might like. It's called Phasmophobia and people have been playing it on macs and it doesn't need much power. You like trolling, well imagine a spooky horror game that genuinely scares the shit out of you, but you can feck with people in.

Ask @RedSky how that feels :lol:
Ahh I’ve seen that on a stream. I could probs just play it on my main MacBook

Redlambs

Yawn

I am struggling with what to play on Xbox is the problem

And without buying any I have Horizon 4, Gears 5, Gears Tactics and Sea of Thieves and Halo 1, 2, 3, 4, Reach and ODST all with next gen enhancements. They all look and play stunning.

Talking about third party, it's nice to be able to play rocket and warzone at 120fps.
Are we going to sail at some point? I haven't played in ages so will be rusty, if it makes you feel any better ;)

Also, you keep talking about Control as a GOTY contender, I assume you have completed it? You talk about Quantum Break too, but what about the real game in all of these Alan Wake? Do we not find Control decent, but a sidestep and the Wake DLC very much unimaginative both in terms of story and gameplay?

Speaking of Control, since you couldn't really tell the ray tracing in Spiderman MM (and I don't blame people for that, again as I said, it will show more in dedicated levels), if you ever get the chance you should play it on PC with high raytracing settings. Just like MM or Demon's Souls and the fps thing, it's about time console gamers saw the light.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
For what it's worth it won't get removed from gamepass mate as Microsoft owns Playground. Think it'll stay on there unless they come up against some licensing issue.
That's the main reason. You can't find horizon 3 digitally anywhere, and it's still a top game with working servers. Hence why I'm keen to purchase 4.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
Yawn

I am struggling with what to play on Xbox is the problem

And without buying any I have Horizon 4, Gears 5, Gears Tactics and Sea of Thieves and Halo 1, 2, 3, 4, Reach and ODST all with next gen enhancements. They all look and play stunning.

Talking about third party, it's nice to be able to play rocket and warzone at 120fps.
Rocket league @120 FPS will come (it had better come).

No denying that MS are the kings of b/c and enabling last gen games to run at 120fps is a feather in their cap.

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
Rocket league @120 FPS will come (it had better come).

No denying that MS are the kings of b/c and enabling last gen games to run at 120fps is a feather in their cap.
I don't have a monitor/tele capable of playing at 120fps but it's nice to have the option :lol:

Saw cod on a mates monitor though and it was nice.

Sounds like 120fps might not come or will take some time. A rocket league dev said earlier this week that it's a simple patch on Xbox but a full on port on PS5.

Alock1

Are we going to sail at some point? I haven't played in ages so will be rusty, if it makes you feel any better ;)

Also, you keep talking about Control as a GOTY contender, I assume you have completed it? You talk about Quantum Break too, but what about the real game in all of these Alan Wake? Do we not find Control decent, but a sidestep and the Wake DLC very much unimaginative both in terms of story and gameplay?

Speaking of Control, since you couldn't really tell the ray tracing in Spiderman MM (and I don't blame people for that, again as I said, it will show more in dedicated levels), if you ever get the chance you should play it on PC with high raytracing settings. Just like MM or Demon's Souls and the fps thing, it's about time console gamers saw the light.
If you can organise a crew and tell me what the feck I'm doing, I'm happy to play.

I haven't played Control. In fact Alan Wake is the one game from them I have played and completed. The reason I say it was a GOTY contender is because I saw it win lots of GOTY (including IGN, gamesradar, game informer, ps magazine etc.). The point I am trying to make is the limitations of 2nd party and why MS needed to perhaps be more courageous or patient to extract value out of a multi game partnership.

rcoobc

I don't have a monitor/tele capable of playing at 120fps but it's nice to have the option :lol:

Saw cod on a mates monitor though and it was nice.

Sounds like 120fps might not come or will take some time. A rocket league dev said earlier this week that it's a simple patch on Xbox but a full on port on PS5.
Yea, hopefully both systems get that patch at some point.

I'd love for some new content in Rocket League. I want to see Rocket League battle royale

Also would be fun to see some racing maps

The current racing maps made by fans tend to recreate other maps (this being a Mario Kart Wii map), but an actual rocket league racing map would be very different requiring a lot more aerials and tight turns.

Also competitive 4v4 etc.

I have to say 120 hz TVs are not very expensive.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-best-4k-tvs-for-hdr-gaming-7009

This 4k 120 HZ HDR 55" Samsung Q80T is only £899. My 1080p 40" normal tv cost me £600 8 years ago. (Just heck that it is 120hz before buying as it doesn't say it is on Amazon)

I'm not suggesting anyone here buy one but looks like they'll be the norm going forwards

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-Q8...1&keywords=samsung+q80t&qid=1606033904&sr=8-3

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves
Even a 48” is still too big for where I want to put it. I have bought a second desk to make an “L” shaped work and play environment - make it easier to sneak a few games in while working. I’ll have to hold out until Eve fulfill more pre-order or jump at an earlier 32” monitor like supersonic or ASUS.

Amazon Prime has saved me a shitton of money in shipping to Ireland. I’ve bought so much for my little area.

Alock1

So @Alock1 @Bojan11 @Redlambs and any others who have both consoles what do you make of them both and which one do you prefer?
Bringing this to the right thread.

It'll be no surprise when I say that if I was to break it down, for me Xbox shades it in almost all areas

However most important thing is I'm loving both and I'm playing much more just as a result of the QOL improvements which were a huge leap for me coming from base PS4/Xbox and not having a gaming PC.

Loving life.

And as I said yesterday, with Nintendo Switch absolutely killing it on the Sales front, all 3 companies are heading in different directions but all doing well.

It would have been fair to be concerned about both Xbox and even Nintendo's future after Xbone and Wii U launch. Gamings got even bigger this year and all 3 are ready to capitalize in big (but different) ways.

Bojan11

Even a 48” is still too big for where I want to put it. I have bought a second desk to make an “L” shaped work and play environment - make it easier to sneak a few games in while working. I’ll have to hold out until Eve fulfill more pre-order or jump at an earlier 32” monitor like supersonic or ASUS.

Amazon Prime has saved me a shitton of money in shipping to Ireland. I’ve bought so much for my little area.

Wait for the Asus. The rest will follow after that.

@esmufc07 I don’t have a preference. Just play wherever. Both are very good boxes for the prices you pay especially compared to last time. But at the moment there’s not much to show them off besides loading times because publishers still want that PS4 money, so we going to be stuck with cross gen games for a while. So I hope both sort their stock issues out and get to a sales number, where publishers feel they can release games only on them.

Some of the games on Xbox like Gears and Forza look amazing, but I finished Gears 5 on a 2080 and the game looked stunning, so it wouldn’t wow me like it did to @Alock1. There’s a few minor issues with both consoles UI. I preferred the 360 dash to the Xbox and not sure about the PS5 dash when compared to PS4. I just don’t like that you have to go searching for upgrades on PS. Is there a faster way to access your friends list?

esmufc07

Brad
Scout

Wait for the Asus. The rest will follow after that.

@esmufc07 I don’t have a preference. Just play wherever. Both are very good boxes for the prices you pay especially compared to last time. But at the moment there’s not much to show them off besides loading times because publishers still want that PS4 money, so we going to be stuck with cross gen games for a while. So I hope both sort their stock issues out and get to a sales number, where publishers feel they can release games only on them.

Some of the games on Xbox like Gears and Forza look amazing, but I finished Gears 5 on a 2080 and the game looked stunning, so it wouldn’t wow me like it did to @Alock1. There’s a few minor issues with both consoles UI. I preferred the 360 dash to the Xbox and not sure about the PS5 dash when compared to PS4. I just don’t like that you have to go searching for upgrades on PS. Is there a faster way to access your friends list?
There’s a community option when you press the PS button which gives you access. If you press the options button when you’re on the menu list you can change a few of the options available to you. i prefer it just because it’s so much faster and snappier.

rcoobc

Xbox is definitely the better machine at this stage.

120 fps on Enhanced Xbox One titles.
Variable refresh rate.
Store Series S|X games on a hard drive.
No constant crashes.
Just more horsepower on CPU and GPU
Expandable storage
Edit - and no coil whine
Just a shame it doesnt have any games

Last edited:

Redlambs

The PS5 is the better next gen machine by some margin.

The Xbox is the better built machine by some margin.

Both are decent enough for now, it'll be when the next gen games truly start coming that we can really see the best of them.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout

Variable refresh rate.
No constant crashes.
Expandable storage
Great post and I’m playing next gen games on it right now

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
The PS5 is the better next gen machine by some margin.

The Xbox is the better built machine by some margin.

Both are decent enough for now, it'll be when the next gen games truly start coming that we can really see the best of them.
Shocking post. Next gen = “ooo the controller does a vibrate” to ps boyz.

Alock1

AC and WZ with next gen textures and framerate
You got no interest in Gears mate?

Looks and plays amazing, and the multiplayer is class.

I know Gears isn't for everyone but if you haven't played it for a while it's well worth a shot

Bojan11

Variable refresh rate.
No constant crashes.
Expandable storage
Both are suffering from crashes. Probably more reports on PS because there’s more people who own one. I haven’t had any problems, but I don’t use discs. So maybe it’s related to that.

Expandable storage on Xbox is a plus me. I don’t have to get the calculator out and choose what I can or can’t install.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
You got no interest in Gears mate?

Looks and plays amazing, and the multiplayer is class.

I know Gears isn't for everyone but if you haven't played it for a while it's well worth a shot
Yeah I’m gonna download it once I’ve finished AC. Although I might be on to Cyberpunk then.

Redlambs

Both are suffering from crashes. Probably more reports on PS because there’s more people who own one. I haven’t had any problems, but I don’t use discs. So maybe it’s related to that.

Expandable storage on Xbox is a plus me. I don’t have to get the calculator out and choose what I can or can’t install.
Nah, downloaded games crash too. The Spiderman remaster is almost as bad as MM for it.

Having an M2 slot on the Xbox is a brilliant addition.

Alock1

Nah, downloaded games crash too. The Spiderman remaster is almost as bad as MM for it.

Having an M2 slot on the Xbox is a brilliant addition.
Haven't had any crashes on the Spiderman Remaster. Don't think I've had any crashes except one or maybe 2 on the first day on PS5 to be fair. A few on Xbox but all COD and I'm pretty sure that game is the problem as it was the only game to crash on my One S too.

It's just that mine is loud as feck that's the problem but that's a my console problem.

Alock1

Was last of us remastered a next gen game for Sony? I don't count it as truly next gen. Truly next gen is TLOU2.
So we have to wait 7 years for a next gen game now? :smirk:

Bojan11

Haven't had any crashes on the Spiderman Remaster. Don't think I've had any crashes except one or maybe 2 on the first day on PS5 to be fair. A few on Xbox but all COD and I'm pretty sure that game is the problem as it was the only game to crash on my One S too.

It's just that mine is loud as feck that's the problem but that's a my console problem.
Do you have the same problem as those videos I posted?

Redlambs

How much have you played it? It might be a runtime thing, also she keeps leaving the bloody machine on standby which I think has a lot to do with it (and the power options).

Ours is only slightly louder than the Xbox. But as you've seen, it's in the open. Have you moved yours yet?

Alock1

Do you have the same problem as those videos I posted?
This is mine

Was there from day 1. Can get louder or quieter depending on what's open but it's there as soon as I turn the console on (from Off not Rest Mode) and sticks.

l

Alock1

How much have you played it? It might be a runtime thing, also she keeps leaving the bloody machine on standby which I think has a lot to do with it (and the power options).

Ours is only slightly louder than the Xbox. But as you've seen, it's in the open. Have you moved yours yet?
I tried it for an hour and it was exactly the same.

Played quite a bit of Spiderman. Done all the towers and backpacks.

There's a lot of rumour that rest mode, external HDDs and network transfers played a part so I've avoided all and not really had crash problems. Maybe coincidence.