Gaming PS5 vs Xbox Series S|X

Which do you think will release first?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
Is Deathloop as great as they say it is? I'm not a hardcore gamer but I do like games with a strong and evocative narrative (e.g. Disco Elysium). I play for the storytelling. Not sure if it will be my cup of tea

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Okay so I've finally decided to upgrade my shitty PS4. Need some advice. I feel like I should naturally upgrade to a PS5, but I've spent the past few weeks looking at Xbox - I also don't know the difference between the X and S series and whether I'd be missing out on a lot by being a cheapskate and opting for S.

I'm not a huge gamer by any means. I probably spend a couple of hours a week playing games, but I do get heavy use out of the console as I currently watch all my streaming platforms exclusively on my PS4. What do you do recommend?

Bebe

Is Deathloop as great as they say it is? I'm not a hardcore gamer but I do like games with a strong and evocative narrative (e.g. Disco Elysium). I play for the storytelling. Not sure if it will be my cup of tea
Haven't played it or looked into it much, but I have seen a lot of pushback against the high review scores it got.

harshad

Play the odds, not the man - Poor man's Harvey
Scout
On a long road that returns to Old Trafford!!!
Okay so I've finally decided to upgrade my shitty PS4. Need some advice. I feel like I should naturally upgrade to a PS5, but I've spent the past few weeks looking at Xbox - I also don't know the difference between the X and S series and whether I'd be missing out on a lot by being a cheapskate and opting for S.

I'm not a huge gamer by any means. I probably spend a couple of hours a week playing games, but I do get heavy use out of the console as I currently watch all my streaming platforms exclusively on my PS4. What do you do recommend?
Depends upon what games you want to play. Also, if you are in the market for a new TV then Microsoft seems to be entering into some kind of partnership with Samsung to allow cloud gaming on Samsung TVs model 2022. So you could buy a PS5 and get a gamepass for playing the games on there on your TV.

Bosws87

Easy answer is there any games that are strictly playstation that you would like to carry on.

If you are a casual game and just a fifa/cod/gta player every year its irrelevant which one you get, but if you have spent the past 5 or so years playing through the likes of God of War, Uncharted, Last of us and so on then playstation is the only one.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Depends upon what games you want to play. Also, if you are in the market for a new TV then Microsoft seems to be entering into some kind of partnership with Samsung to allow cloud gaming on Samsung TVs model 2022. So you could buy a PS5 and get a gamepass for playing the games on there on your TV.
Easy answer is there any games that are strictly playstation that you would like to carry on.

If you are a casual game and just a fifa/cod/gta player every year its irrelevant which one you get, but if you have spent the past 5 or so years playing through the likes of God of War, Uncharted, Last of us and so on then playstation is the only one.
Thanks for the replies guys. I am actually in the market for a new TV, now that you mention it. So after reading a couple of articles on this, it sounds like one could buy a PS5, but with a new Samsung TV, I could just buy an Xbox controller and essentially get to play both Playstation and Xbox games? That's pretty neat.

So some of my favourite games I've spent the longest playing the last couple of years have been Assassin's Creed (Odyssey and Valhalla), God of War, Battlefield, Spiderman etc, and then sports games like FIFA, 2K etc.

Bosws87

Thanks for the replies guys. I am actually in the market for a new TV, now that you mention it. So after reading a couple of articles on this, it sounds like one could buy a PS5, but with a new Samsung TV, I could just buy an Xbox controller and essentially get to play both Playstation and Xbox games? That's pretty neat.

So some of my favourite games I've spent the longest playing the last couple of years have been Assassin's Creed (Odyssey and Valhalla), God of War, Battlefield, Spiderman etc, and then EA games like FIFA, 2K etc.
Just from that list you would have no Spiderman or GOW if you went xbox.

Abraxas

No God of War and Spiderman sounds like a good reason to get an Xbox to me.

An up to date list of upcoming exclusives for both would be interesting to see.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
No God of War and Spiderman sounds like a good reason to get an Xbox to me.

An up to date list of upcoming exclusives for both would be interesting to see.
:lol: ffs I love those games.

But a combo situation as @harshad was mentioning is quite appealing, if it can be done.

Fully Fledged

So some of my favourite games I've spent the longest playing the last couple of years have been Assassin's Creed (Odyssey and Valhalla), God of War, Battlefield, Spiderman etc, and then sports games like FIFA, 2K etc.
If you have friends and like to game with them go Xbox. If you are someone who would prefer to game alone go PlayStation.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff

You wouldn't even need to buy an Xbox controller. You can play Game Pass on a Samsung TV with a PS5 controller no problem.

If you're a fan of Ubisoft games, seeing as you've mentioned Assassin's Creed, the new PS+ will have Ubisoft+ Classics bundled in.

Bosws87

You would be better off getting Ubisoft Connect though as it gives you new Ubisoft games not just games you have probably already played if you are interested in them.
If you have played one ubisoft game you have played them all.

Fully Fledged

But if you like them and are a fan getting new ones is better than getting a selection of old ones. At the end of the day playing a game that feels familiar isn't necessarily a bad thing. Ubisoft games are popular. after all AC:Valhalla made $1Billion. Just because you don't like them doesn't mean that no one does.

Bosws87

But if you like them and are a fan getting new ones is better than getting a selection of old ones. At the end of the day playing a game that feels familiar isn't necessarily a bad thing. Ubisoft games are popular. after all AC:Valhalla made $1Billion. Just because you don't like them doesn't mean that no one does.
Yep unfortunately there's millions of them which perpetuate the never ending cycle.

Fully Fledged

Yep unfortunately there's millions of them which perpetuate the never ending cycle.
It does and while they make money there will be more.
It's like mobile gaming which I'd never stoop to myself but makes billions every years.
We are not all the same. We should celebrate our differences.

hobbers

It does and while they make money there will be more.
It's like mobile gaming which I'd never stoop to myself but makes billions every years.
We are not all the same. We should celebrate our differences.
Not much to celebrate in the millions of patsies who sustain Ubi/EA/Activisions business models of just releasing reskins of franchise games every year and making fortunes on the back of mtx.

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
If you've played one Ubisoft game you've played Horizon, Ghosts of Tsushima too. Even Spiderman (luckily the swinging makes up for it on that one)

Fully Fledged

Not much to celebrate in the millions of patsies who sustain Ubi/EA/Activisions business models of just releasing reskins of franchise games every year and making fortunes on the back of mtx.
I'd call Ubisoft games more cookie cutter than reskins. I think that FIFA, Maden, WWE and the like are more reskins than the likes of Valhalla.

Abraxas

I'd call Ubisoft games more cookie cutter than reskins. I think that FIFA, Maden, WWE and the like are more reskins than the likes of Valhalla.
I dunno, it's probably the open world equivalent, except they don't have to release it yearly so they can put in a tad more effort. FIFA can't really change the environment and play back in Ancient Rome or I think one or two football fans would be asking questions.

New faces, a half baked story, a few shallow mechanics added. I'm not sure anything core to the game has substantially changed over many of the recent iterations of AC for example. You have to go pretty far back in the catalogue to find a different experience.

Fully Fledged

I dunno, it's probably the open world equivalent, except they don't have to release it yearly so they can put in a tad more effort. FIFA can't really change the environment and play back in Ancient Rome or I think one or two football fans would be asking questions.

New faces, a half baked story, a few shallow mechanics added. I'm not sure anything core to the game has substantially changed over many of the recent iterations of AC for example. You have to go pretty far back in the catalogue to find a different experience.
If you are calling Ubisoft games reskins rather than cookie Cutter (which is still and slur btw) then you would have to load Miles Morales, HFW and GoW2 in the same boat as they also have mostly the same mechanics as the game that preceded them with only slightly improvements over their predecessors.

Bosws87

If you are calling Ubisoft games reskins rather than cookie Cutter (which is still and slur btw) then you would have to load Miles Morales, HFW and GoW2 in the same boat as they also have mostly the same mechanics as the game that preceded them with only slightly improvements over their predecessors.
Its more the mundane repetitiveness of the missions/quests whatever you wanna call them nothing wrong with the mechanics being repeated if they are solid.

Loads of open world games suffer from it, but ubisoft seem to take it to the next level.

I have terrible open world fatigue so i'm already sceptical of the majority of open world games, i also hate that this has become some kind of next gen feature just to shove every game into open world.

Elden ring the latest, exceptional game but the best in class level design was completely ruined by the decision.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Is there any value in getting both?? I got my PS5 through BT last year and they've done the same again and allocated me a code to buy the new Xbox. I've always been a Sony guy but wondering if I should get both just for the heck of it.

Fully Fledged

Its more the mundane repetitiveness of the missions/quests whatever you wanna call them nothing wrong with the mechanics being repeated if they are solid.

Loads of open world games suffer from it, but ubisoft seem to take it to the next level.

I have terrible open world fatigue so i'm already sceptical of the majority of open world games, i also hate that this has become some kind of next gen feature just to shove every game into open world.
As I said I'd call that cookie cutter rather than a reskin.
But as someone that put thousands of hours into the likes of WoW I don't hate bloated games.
As someone who has role played DnD games with pen and paper before computers became prevalent then moved that to the likes of Baldur's Gate, Ice Wind Dales and Elder Scrolls I actually like the rats in the barn quests(we got the quest line in Witcher 3 after all) as it's all part of the lore. I can understand that the newer generation of gamer doesn't have the connection to pen and paper DnD to appreciate the grinding quests of the RPG genre but I still crave it.
For me if AC:V has a problem it's more that the conclusion of the storyline was meh rather than the game mechanics.

hobbers

Yeah true. Cod and Battlefield are probably the more obvious non-sport reskins.

Ubi just have the same formula for every game from the division to the crew to watchdogs and beyond, and its game design has spread like another virus through the industry along with mtx and releasing half finished products and full price remakes/remasters of old games.