Gaming PS5 vs Xbox Series S|X

Which do you think will release first?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bosws87

Well it’s worked on pc for the last 30 years. It’s even been working this gen with the differences between PS4/pro and the one/one x.

I think Microsoft have big plans for their upcoming streaming service and will target the cheaper series S as their streaming/gamepass console.
They had big plans for kinect and an always online console with non tradeable games and couldnt play them without an active internet connection, just saying.

Castia

They had big plans for kinect and an always online console with non tradeable games and couldnt play them without an active internet connection, just saying.
Not sure of your point, completely irrelevant to this but ok.

Bosws87

Not sure of your point, completely irrelevant to this but ok.
You will see the point when you see games made just for the one spec ps5 (exclusives naughty dog, santa monica etc) and the exclusive games made for the two xbox's.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Rumour currently online that Microsoft are targeting a $400 price point for the series X and will release the lower specced series S console for around $200. They have a conference next month showing off more of their plans apparently.

The lower priced console could be a great alternative for people. I wasn’t planning on getting a series X I’ll be going PC and PS5 but for something around the $200 having gamepass available whilst still offering some next gen features could be amazing.
No chance they’re dropping a console more powerful than the XboneX at $200 on its own. It’d have to include a gamepass subscription leash for a year or something as a prerequisite.

Castia

You will see the point when you see games made just for the one spec ps5 (exclusives naughty dog, santa monica etc) and the exclusive games made for the two xbox's.
Nah i think the $200 console will be aimed at gamepass/streaming, I mean for that price it can’t have much of a graphics card etc.

But it’s a cheap way of getting into the Xbox echosystem and a good alternative for some folks who usually wouldn’t be interested in paying full whack whilst already having a ps5/pc.

Last edited:

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Still XBSX at £400 would give a £500+ PS5 a kicking....

Bosws87

Still XBSX at £400 would give a £500+ PS5 a kicking....
Most certainly would in the mass market a cheaper console to play cod/fifa on would always win.

Personally still go with Sony as i have little faith in microsoft's 1st party showings.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Is there anybody here who's waiting for the prices to be released before they decide what console they're buying? Personally I don't care if the PS5 is £100 more expensive - I'll definitely be buying that over the X-Box. The X Box does nothing for me, and I assume many people are already attached to one console and it's ecosystem that the price difference isn't going to be THAT much of a contributing factor?

Maybe I'm wrong there, though.

Ainu

Is there anybody here who's waiting for the prices to be released before they decide what console they're buying? Personally I don't care if the PS5 is £100 more expensive - I'll definitely be buying that over the X-Box. The X Box does nothing for me, and I assume many people are already attached to one console and it's ecosystem that the price difference isn't going to be THAT much of a contributing factor?

I'm just way too invested in major Playstation IP's to ever consider not owning a PS5. And since all Xbox titles will be on PC, I see little point in getting a Series X. So yeah price is largely irrelevant to me. The Series X might be an excellent piece of tech but there's just no value there for me personally.

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
I think price is number one factor for most. The bulk of the consumers are casual folks who buy sports games and Call of Duty and then kids who get what they are given. If Xbox comes out cheaper the bulk will sway that way.

This is just from my own experience, my friends and my kids and their friends have little or no interest in exclusives. Its still about the annualised games which are available on both platforms.

For me personally I will 100% be more interested in PS5 due to their exclusives but I think I am in the minority in the grand scheme of things

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
I'm just way too invested in major Playstation IP's to ever consider not owning a PS5. And since all Xbox titles will be on PC, I see little point in getting a Series X. So yeah price is largely irrelevant to me. The Series X might be an excellent piece of tech but there's just no value there for me personally.
Yeah, exactly the same here. I assume many will be like this, too. X-Box just isn't a compelling console, IMO. There are certainly people out there who only play your COD's, Fifa's, and whatever Battle Royale game in the zeitgeist, so for them, the price will be important. But if the price is minimal, then I can't see X-Box "winning" this generation either.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
I think price is number one factor for most. The bulk of the consumers are casual folks who buy sports games and Call of Duty and then kids who get what they are given. If Xbox comes out cheaper the bulk will sway that way.

This is just from my own experience, my friends and my kids and their friends have little or no interest in exclusives. Its still about the annualised games which are available on both platforms.

For me personally I will 100% be more interested in PS5 due to their exclusives but I think I am in the minority in the grand scheme of things
Yeah, this is the thing I suppose. Obviously the casual market is big, so the price could be a contributing factor. But I still think if the price difference is minimal, then X-Box is going to lose out.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout

Xbox could be half the price and I’d still go for the PS. No interest in the Xbox and it’s exclusives. I did get an Xbox One S about 18 months ago but ended up selling it because it was just gathering dust. Even without exclusives though I’ve just always preferred PlayStation.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Tbf wasn't that because their President at the time was Mattrick who clearly had no clue what gamers wanted. The guy came to Microsoft from EA of all places so he was clearly a jerk to begin with!

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
Yeah, this is the thing I suppose. Obviously the casual market is big, so the price could be a contributing factor. But I still think if the price difference is minimal, then X-Box is going to lose out.
Yeah if price is very similar I would also expect PS5 to outsell, I should also add I am really only talking about the USA and certain European markets. I know rest of the world, Xbox has very little significance.

But If Xbox comes out with a version that is €400 or less (if rumours are to be believed) things will certainly be interesting

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Xbox could be half the price and I’d still go for the PS. No interest in the Xbox and it’s exclusives. I did get an Xbox One S about 18 months ago but ended up selling it because it was just gathering dust. Even without exclusives though I’ve just always preferred PlayStation.
I've always been a PlayStation guy in the main. Had the PS1, the PS2 but I did deviate a little and get the 360. Mostly because the price difference was quite big and a lot of my mates had one. It was also a good console for online play which is what I was mainly doing at that time. I bought a PS3 eventually and I did buy an X-Box One over the PS4. No idea why, really. I had it for 4 weeks and sold it. I bought a PS4 and never looked back.

Castia

The latest news is Microsoft are dumping Mixer and partnering with Facebook gaming.

Advertisements on Instagram that instantly let you play a game at the click of a button through Xcloud will be huge for Microsoft.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
Rumour currently online that Microsoft are targeting a $400 price point for the series X and will release the lower specced series S console for around $200. They have a conference next month showing off more of their plans apparently.

The lower priced console could be a great alternative for people. I wasn’t planning on getting a series X I’ll be going PC and PS5 but for something around the $200 having gamepass available whilst still offering some next gen features could be amazing.
This isnt possible unless Microsoft is taking 200$ (520$ BOM + extra cost of packaging, assembly etc) hit on every console. In 1.5 years of Xbox one, sales number were around 10m and Xbox Series X might sell even more than that. That would make loss in excess of 2b $. No way MS will take that much hit.

pratyush_utd

Mates that’s by a reader and by the looks of it a fanboy too. Xbox has had haptic feedback since the start of current gen.
Xbox controller doesn't have haptic feedback like PS5 controller. It's much more immersive than Xbox controller.

Sony's implementation goes far beyond simple trigger haptics and weighty rumble motors, adding high-frequency actuators that actually impart a sense of texture.
https://www.windowscentral.com/how-playstation-5s-controller-haptics-could-help-xbox?amp

Bojan11

Xbox controller doesn't have haptic feedback like PS5 controller. It's much more immersive than Xbox controller.

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-playstation-5s-controller-haptics-could-help-xbox?amp
I said it has haptic feedback, which it has since current gen. I didn’t compare the two considering we haven’t seen any of Sonys feature in action, unless you have.

The touchpad was hyped and barely any developers bothered using it this gen besides as a big button. So hyping up controller features which probably won’t be used by the developers after a year is silly.

pratyush_utd

I said it has haptic feedback, which it has since current gen. I didn’t compare the two considering we haven’t seen any of Sonys feature in action, unless you have.

The touchpad was hyped and barely any developers bothered using it this gen besides as a big button. So hyping up controller features which probably won’t be used by the developers after a year is silly.
I am going by what Wired Article has mentioned. If Xbox had anything remotely close, they would have advertised.

Also I don't need to read analyst prediction to know PS5 will outsell Xbox Series X.

afrocentricity

They both look crap from those angles. It's about the games anyway...

Ian Reus

Ended 14 years of Grand National sweepstakes
Mates that’s by a reader and by the looks of it a fanboy too. Xbox has had haptic feedback since the start of current gen.
A reader doesn't necessarily mean he doesn't know what he's talking about. I think he took the time to get that published because he knows what he is talking about.

In reference to the haptic feedback from the controller. The previous gens (ps1 - ps4) had 3d graphics. That doesn't mean they cannot be improved upon.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
My flat is fecking tiny but I wouldn’t have any trouble finding a spot for the PS5. Who cares?

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
My flat is fecking tiny but I wouldn’t have any trouble finding a spot for the PS5. Who cares?
Even if you did you could live inside your PS5 and still have enough space for a PS5 - it really is THAT fecking massive.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Unless you're severely limited on space or you carry your console around then the size doesn't matter (Heh!)

What'll be interesting is the price. If Sony can release it at a competitive price then they will win the war.

macheda14

Both of them having such a small amount of memory is really disappointing, I mean hopefully the PS5 doesn’t have the same issue as the PS4 where an update needs double the space of the entire game to be able to download. I think the reasoning is that it makes a copy of your game and all the updates to ensure everything is up to date.

I’m on a launch PS4 and only have COD and The Last of Us 2 and I couldn’t download last nights COD update because it needed me to have around 100 gigs free (the update itself is only 20-30gigs). That’s 2 games. I couldn’t have 2 functioning games on the same hard drive.

pratyush_utd

Both of them having such a small amount of memory is really disappointing, I mean hopefully the PS5 doesn’t have the same issue as the PS4 where an update needs double the space of the entire game to be able to download. I think the reasoning is that it makes a copy of your game and all the updates to ensure everything is up to date.

I’m on a launch PS4 and only have COD and The Last of Us 2 and I couldn’t download last nights COD update because it needed me to have around 100 gigs free (the update itself is only 20-30gigs). That’s 2 games. I couldn’t have 2 functioning games on the same hard drive.
That's mostly down to duplication of asset requirement due to hdd seek time issue. With SSD that shouldn't be an issue. Also long copying time post update will not be required. This was such a pain for PS4.

16 gig memory for Console should be enough. There is no requirement now to fill up RAM with data which aren't going to be processed immediately with faster SSD.

macheda14

That's mostly down to duplication of asset requirement due to hdd seek time issue. With SSD that shouldn't be an issue. Also long copying time post update will not be required. This was such a pain for PS4.

16 gig memory for Console should be enough. There is no requirement now to fill up RAM with data which aren't going to be processed immediately with faster SSD.
Great, it is such a ball ache with the current generation.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Funny how people are jumping to defend the size of it despite no one suggesting it was an issue.

Bojan11

Interesting from the new NBA unveiling

NBA 2K21 will have a recommended price of $69.99/£64.99 when it launches on PS5 and Xbox Series X this year.

That's $10 more than the PS4 and Xbox One version, which has a recommended price of $59.99/£59.99.
Next gen tax incoming. You also have to buy the £90 version of NBA to get the free upgrade to next gen consoles.

ArmandTamzarian

Supports
Liverpool
I think people need to get ready for game price increases next gen, games have been largely the same price for at least 20 years now and the cost of making them is rising. Something has to give, this is also why the subscription based model is being explored since last gen.

afrocentricity

Very few people are paying those £50+ prices. I havent spent more than £35 on a game since Skyrim VR. In fact I think I've only done it 2/3 times this gen.... Physical games are often sub £30 in months (haha take that all digital only folk).