Gaming PS5 vs Xbox Series S|X

Which do you think will release first?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

starman

Basically we should be buying AMD stocks because Nvidia's market share is about to shrink.
AMD are already in the PS4 and Xbox, so will just stay the same, gaming wise, when the next generation comes round. The Nintendo switch has been recently licensed in China, so in fact, Nvidia is the one that will actually grow more. AMD might grow in cloud gaming but that market will probably be a niche for quite a while.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
Amd (Ati) are always the go to in the console space. For reasons mostly to do with cheapest performance per cost. Also though they can tailor suit their chips for console, mostly down to heat management.

There's no real different to the PC scene. If you have the money you go Nvidia, if you want performance on a budget you go AMD.

Bojan11

Pretty sure he said his sources were 3rd party devs working on both consoles.
He said this

Adds the we will see.

Also MS had two SKUS one which looks to be scrapped.

Digital Foundry were saying the opposite from what they heard, so like I said previously until the specs are out in the open it’s pointless. It’s just he said she said rumours. Phil Spencer and the VP of first party studios were saying in interviews they want the most powerful console.

I asked Ybarra and Ronald how important it is for the next Xbox, Scarlett, to be more powerful than the PlayStation 5, which is also reportedly monstrous in its capabilities. Ronald talked about how Scarlett has been built to eliminate bottlenecks as much as possible, in terms of visuals and frame rates, noting that they hope Scarlett can produce the best possible versions of their games. 'As we look across the entire design of the system, everything from the SOC (system-on-chip), to the memory that we have to the SSD that we've put in there. It's really about eliminating all those bottlenecks, so those game developers can really deliver on their visions, to try and enable developers to make the best possible versions of their games.' To round off, Ybarra noted that being able to say 'where games play best' is something very important to the team... 'I will say that we're very confident in what we're building, something that will set a new bar for expectations of console gaming.'

syrian_scholes

Honorary Straw Hat
No matter the specs we all know the difference between the 2 will be minimal, tbh I'm more interested in seeing how much of a difference will it be from this gen, I just don't know how can they improve it mich more other than loading time.

Bojan11

No matter the specs we all know the difference between the 2 will be minimal, tbh I'm more interested in seeing how much of a difference will it be from this gen, I just don't know how can they improve it mich more other than loading time.
Improve what?

They can improve a lot of things in gaming like AI and physics. But sadly most companies hire pointless game directors who want to focus on characters rather than gameplay. There’s one in particular who was very good back in the day but now he just wants his name plastered in every scene and wants his game filled with Hollywood actors. People actually felt sorry for the guy with how one company treated him. Yet he treated two voice actors like shit and didn’t even bother telling them he doesn’t need them.

Don’t think this gen was a big step up from last gen in terms of AI improvements or physics. There’s a few games that couldn’t have been done on the previous consoles. But a lot of them would have easily been made possible on the 360 or PS3 with downgraded graphics.

syrian_scholes

Honorary Straw Hat
Improve what?

They can improve a lot of things in gaming like AI and physics. But sadly most companies hire pointless game directors who want to focus on characters rather than gameplay. There’s one in particular who was very good back in the day but now he just wants his name plastered in every scene and wants his game filled with Hollywood actors. People actually felt sorry for the guy with how one company treated him. Yet he treated two voice actors like shit and didn’t even bother telling them he doesn’t need them.

Don’t think this gen was a big step up from last gen in terms of AI improvements or physics. There’s a few games that couldn’t have been done on the previous consoles. But a lot of them would have easily been made possible on the 360 or PS3 with downgraded graphics.
sorry for not being clear, I meant graphic wise, I don't see it being as much of a jump as the PS4 was to the PS3 ie, or the PS3 was to the PS2, there's diffenetly a big graphical gap between those gens.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
sorry for not being clear, I meant graphic wise, I don't see it being as much of a jump as the PS4 was to the PS3 ie, or the PS3 was to the PS2, there's diffenetly a big graphical gap between those gens.
That's mainly because Sony and (especially MS) played it really safe with the PS4 and One, they were the equivalent to a Radeon 7850HD, which at the time was only a half-decent mid-range card that could barely pull out 1080p on newer games. Graphics cards haven't really evolved as fast as they used to though and if they did put out a card similar to a a 1080 in terms of power I'd be excited to see what companies like Guerrila and Santa Monica could do with it. But as Bojan said, hopefully we'll see more invested into stuff like AI (both the consoles and companies improving multi-core use would help).

Ainu

Wait a year
That's what I did last time around as well, launch games just never do it for me. I could probably sit out an entire generation with the backlog I have on the PS4, especially with some of the upcoming late-gen titles like Cyberpunk, Last of Us 2, Death Stranding, Ghost of Tsushima and maybe others. Although, depening on how BC is implemented on PS5, I might just play some of those titles on the new console.

Siorac

Released on both for one price though allowing me to play in the living room (on my X) and in the bedroom on my pain platform PC

The new joint gamepass thing will be huge come fall 2020 release of Scarlett

I'm on PC 90% of the time, it's nice when i do jump to console having a large variety of games to choose from not just the 2-3 exclusives id pick up if I owned a PS
There are plenty of ways to play PC games on your living room TV without getting a full fledged console. The Steam Link app, for one, if you have the right smart TV. There are other options, too.

syrian_scholes

Honorary Straw Hat
That's mainly because Sony and (especially MS) played it really safe with the PS4 and One, they were the equivalent to a Radeon 7850HD, which at the time was only a half-decent mid-range card that could barely pull out 1080p on newer games. Graphics cards haven't really evolved as fast as they used to though and if they did put out a card similar to a a 1080 in terms of power I'd be excited to see what companies like Guerrila and Santa Monica could do with it. But as Bojan said, hopefully we'll see more invested into stuff like AI (both the consoles and companies improving multi-core use would help).
GOW is the most beautiful game I've ever played, I just can't see how graphics can go beyond that.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
GOW is the most beautiful game I've ever played, I just can't see how graphics can go beyond that.
I recall people saying that about games like The Last of Us back on the PS3, too. Of course they can, we've barely scratched the surface of 4k so far, let alone 8k.

Redlambs

I recall people saying that about games like The Last of Us back on the PS3, too. Of course they can, we've barely scratched the surface of 4k so far, let alone 8k.
People say it every single generation since the Xbox first came out with bump mapping. I don't get why people don't think there's always vast improvements to be made.

Bojan11

People say it every single generation since the Xbox first came out with bump mapping. I don't get why people don't think there's always vast improvements to be made.
Forget that.

Are you still in contact with Weaste? I think him and Ciderman should be back. Last time it wasn’t really fair, I mean Xbox one was embarrassing at the start and some bizarre reason Ciderman was defending it constantly. I guess he loved his TV features too much and of course the power of the cloud.

This time it’s closer in terms of specs and looks like a proper console war. I feel sorry for digital foundry if the specs are similar and they telling people which format runs certain games better because one crowd of people won’t be able to accept that part.

I don’t buy this arrogant Sony stuff too. I think they quietly preparing for it and after last week they won E3 without turning up. MS got killed because they couldn’t really show Scarlett games because what happens in a years time if the games don’t look like that. I remember Sony doing that with the PS3 reveal at E3. MS could show Halo because it’s coming on the Xbox one too.

Redlambs

Forget that.

Are you still in contact with Weaste? I think him and Ciderman should be back. Last time it wasn’t really fair, I mean Xbox one was embarrassing at the start and some bizarre reason Ciderman was defending it constantly. I guess he loved his TV features too much and of course the power of the cloud.

This time it’s closer in terms of specs and looks like a proper console war. I feel sorry for digital foundry if the specs are similar and they telling people which format runs certain games better because one crowd of people won’t be able to accept that part.

I don’t buy this arrogant Sony stuff too. I think they quietly preparing for it and after last week they won E3 without turning up. MS got killed because they couldn’t really show Scarlett games because what happens in a years time if the games don’t look like that. I remember Sony doing that with the PS3 reveal at E3. MS could show Halo because it’s coming on the Xbox one too.
Dude, I think you know it's all bullshit. It doesn't take insider info to know that they will be similar, and that's largely down to not wanting a power war pushing up prices. It's common sense. I mean the major parts are made by the same manufacturers ffs :lol:

And no, sadly I don't talk to Martin/Weaste anymore. I'm not sure what happened, but he disappeared again. Last I spoke to him, he was doing better though, so fingers crossed there.

BTW he was never really that into Sony as a games company, it was all about the technology for him. And the Emotion Engine and Cell were great pieces of tech, but sadly MS entering the game with bog standard PC parts has lead us to where we are today and for people like him, and a lesser extent me, being less interested as time goes on. I mean, they are not as glorified laptops as the last gen, but they are still just mostly PCs in smaller boxes. And for some of us, that's dull. But most don't care and rightly so for them.

Redlambs

Oh, and Ciderman was just trolling, he didn't know shit and he cared about it all even less! It was funny when he took Alock under his wing though and the pair of them fought the good fight with Kinect 2.0 (lolzy) and Spark :lol:

Great character though.

Ainu

Dude, I think you know it's all bullshit. It doesn't take insider info to know that they will be similar, and that's largely down to not wanting a power war pushing up prices. It's common sense. I mean the major parts are made by the same manufacturers ffs :lol:

And no, sadly I don't talk to Martin/Weaste anymore. I'm not sure what happened, but he disappeared again. Last I spoke to him, he was doing better though, so fingers crossed there.

BTW he was never really that into Sony as a games company, it was all about the technology for him. And the Emotion Engine and Cell were great pieces of tech, but sadly MS entering the game with bog standard PC parts has lead us to where we are today and for people like him, and a lesser extent me, being less interested as time goes on. I mean, they are not as glorified laptops as the last gen, but they are still just mostly PCs in smaller boxes. And for some of us, that's dull. But most don't care and rightly so for them.
Technologically it might be less interesting right now, but it's never been easier for developers and surely that has to be the first concern.

Redlambs

Technologically it might be less interesting right now, but it's never been easier for developers and surely that has to be the first concern.
Which is why I'm not as opposed to it all as someone like Weaste.

However, it does breed laziness and rushed, bugged releases and publishers can force even stricter deadlines. Also consoles do hold back the growth of technology on some ways.

But as a programmer, they are easier to work with. Though some sinisterly pain driven part of me misses having to properly learn how to use new machines and the joy of doing something nobody else has thought of. So I'm on the fence about the pros and cons.

But like I say, it's fair for the vast majority to not give a feck. They just want shinier graphics and hopefully bigger and better games. And I'm cool with that, I just hope upon hope we get some kind of AI/physics leap this gen.

Siorac

Which is why I'm not as opposed to it all as someone like Weaste.

However, it does breed laziness and rushed, bugged releases and publishers can force even stricter deadlines. Also consoles do hold back the growth of technology on some ways.

But as a programmer, they are easier to work with. Though some sinisterly pain driven part of me misses having to properly learn how to use new machines and the joy of doing something nobody else has thought of. So I'm on the fence about the pros and cons.

But like I say, it's fair for the vast majority to not give a feck. They just want shinier graphics and hopefully bigger and better games. And I'm cool with that, I just hope upon hope we get some kind of AI/physics leap this gen.
Backwards compatibility is a huge pro though, and about fecking time.

Groundbreaking innovation is unlikely to come from huge companies and big console titles. Big established players almost always go for the safe option - chugging along with guaranteed mediocrity is better than banking on something revolutionary and then crashing spectacularly.

Smaller, 'indie' titles, possibly on PC, is where the real innovation will come from in games, and then the big players will adapt once the tech is more mature.

Bojan11

Groundbreaking innovation is unlikely to come from huge companies and big console titles. Big established players almost always go for the safe option - chugging along with guaranteed mediocrity is better than banking on something revolutionary and then crashing spectacularly.

Smaller, 'indie' titles, possibly on PC, is where the real innovation will come from in games, and then the big players will adapt once the tech is more mature.
BC is a huge pro if they not remastering PS4 or Xbox one games. They should be updated for free if they choose to do so as a lot of games these days are a “service”.

I wouldn’t mind for example if they chose to remaster the Mass Effect series for the new consoles. Something like that makes sense because it was on the 360/ps3.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
What card is in the Pro?

I'm quite shocked if a 7850 was able to pull off the 4k detail in RDR2, its stunning.

2mufc0

Supports
Dragon of Dojima
GoW was also stunning in 4k.

I think they can focus on better fram rates in 4k. As I understand it runs at 30-60 fps.

Redlambs

None of that is anything new though. Well, not until MS came along. I'm not even suggesting innovation is what the console space needs either, just stating thoughts on the Weaste v Cider thing.

As for backwards compatibility, it amazes me how people forget that it's not a new thing and Nintendo were doing it for ages anyway. MS, surprise surprise, have been the main evil in not doing it if people wanted it so badly.

In any case, the remaster business has been good for these guys, so it'll be interesting to see how BC works in this gen.

As for indies, well the lines are VERY blurry as to that scene of late, and once streaming comes more to the fore, I wonder of people will look back and lament what has happened there. Or more likely, not give a shit.

Redlambs

What card is in the Pro?

I'm quite shocked if a 7850 was able to pull off the 4k detail in RDR2, its stunning.
That's not 4k though. And the "card" used are console specific equivalents with pros and cons to them.

Personally I think people are right im saying the gpu in the pro is closer to something like a clocked down (and underpowered) rx470. But there isn't really an equivalent as consoles are built differently with different needs and bottlenecks.

2mufc0

Supports
Dragon of Dojima
That's not 4k though. And the "card" used are console specific equivalents with pros and cons to them.

Personally I think people are right im saying the gpu in the pro is closer to something like a clocked down (and underpowered) rx470. But there isn't really an equivalent as consoles are built differently with different needs and bottlenecks.
Ah yeah, even at 1440p that card is pulling its weight though. So the next natural step is to create a console that can play proper 4k. Even that hasn't been achieved at an affordable price for PC yet, so not sure it will be achievable next gen.