Gaming PS5 vs Xbox Series S|X

Which do you think will release first?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
... because, feck it. It's only a matter of time.

Both consoles are shaping up to be pretty similar. Would be interesting if they were identical as that would make it really hard for the console warriors.

I may, or may not update this thread with interesting news. Watch this space... or don't.

Known info:
Same CPU family (better open world's, AI, etc)
Same GPU family (ray tracing, 4k, 120fps blah blah)
Same SSD drive (for faster loading)
Erm.....

Castia

Always been a Sony guy and I still think they’ll sell more consoles due to their exclusives but Xbox are back.

The gap will be much smaller this time around and Microsoft should pump out more exclusives than ever. Gamepass remains one of the best things in gaming and I’m intrigued to soo how Xcloud pans out.

PS5 will ‘win’ in sales but I’ll be going with a Xbox/PC combo. The X blew me away and I’m going all in next gen.

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Marxist bacon-hating kebab-dodging Tinder rascal
Scout
I'm pretty sure I won't bother with either. I'm still yet to get a PS4, but when I get one of those and catch up on some of the games I've missed I think that's it for me when it comes to Sony and Microsoft. I find what both are offering more and more boring as time goes on, really couldn't give a shit anymore tbh.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Basically we should be buying AMD stocks because Nvidia's market share is about to shrink.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
We have more chance of winning the treble next season than the Scarlett, or PS5, have of playing games at 120FPS.

I'll be getting PS5 though. Too many exclusive sequels I'm looking forward to. Horizon, GoW, Spiderman.

Morpheus 7

No disk drive, Microsoft can call it what they want but they haven't a chance next gen. Playstation have to many exclusives and will have backwards compatibility, not really a hard choice. Sad this will be the end of the consoles though, streaming after this.

Reddy Rederson

Microsoft keeps banging on about hardware. And while it’s great to have 2 frames more than the competition, it’s for nothing if they don’t have the games. And so far they don’t. Halo 17 doesn’t interest me. Super gears of war 72 ultra ex sigma special gundum edition doesn’t interest me. Sony might be rocking the lower specs, but they’re knocking it out with the exclusives.

On the other hand, I prefer the Xbox controller. The duel shock is today what it was in 96/97 when it came out. A regular ps controller with analog sticks unceremoniously stuck on to the bottom of it because Nintendo had one on the n64 controller. How a controller design that was nothing more than an after thought has lasted twenty odd years is nothing short of mind boggling. The ds4 is a vast improvement but I’m still not comfortable with the stick positions.

And then last but not least, my friends are all on the Xbox. Which I think is what informs our choices these days the most of what console we buy.

Meh, I’ll just get both like I always do :D

Bojan11

No disk drive, Microsoft can call it what they want but they haven't a chance next gen. Playstation have to many exclusives and will have backwards compatibility, not really a hard choice. Sad this will be the end of the consoles though, streaming after this.
No disc drive? What you going on about?
And no it will not be the end of consoles, Spencer said they looking to build something after Scarlett on giantbomb. That will be a big part of Xbox having a physical device.

A big part of the future of gaming on Xbox is streaming, which also means a big part of the future of Xbox is digital gaming, which in turn begs the question: how much longer will discs be around? Well, who knows, but they will at least be around for the next Xbox console generation, as Xbox boss Phil Spencer has confirmed Xbox Scarlett will have a disc drive. "Yeah [physical discs are part of our future]," said Spencer while speaking to Games Industry. That said, Spencer and co. are well aware the market is moving to the digital space.

We know, because we see it, that more and more players are buying digital," added Spencer. "We think the experience in certain instances -- specifically if I am away from my console and everything is on my hard-drive with the entitlements are all there, there are some scenarios that are easy. But we know that people still have discs."

Morpheus 7

No disc drive? What you going on about?
And no it will not be the end of consoles, Spencer said they looking to build something after Scarlett on giantbomb. That will be a big part of Xbox having a physical device.
My mistake, hold my hands up I heard it didn't. Never seen the update in the last few days.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Let's see if the cycle of arrogance continues and this time Sony ends up shooting themselves in the foot as they did in the early days of the PS3.
Hasn't Sony remained the market leader for multiple generations now? Granted the PS3 didn't start well but I think they've managed to control this battle. Their exclusives are simply better. Obviously in the PS4 era they've just taken the piss and trampled all over Microsoft for shits and giggles. Not sure what's happened to Xbox. It used to have its own exclusives which were never as good but had their following. This generation from what I read, they've put out little quality.

syrian_scholes

Honorary Straw Hat
Hasn't Sony remained the market leader for multiple generations now? Granted the PS3 didn't start well but I think they've managed to control this battle. Their exclusives are simply better. Obviously in the PS4 era they've just taken the piss and trampled all over Microsoft for shits and giggles. Not sure what's happened to Xbox. It used to have its own exclusives which were never as good but had their following. This generation from what I read, they've put out little quality.
The Wii easily won that gen with software and hardware sales.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Lack of game. They failed to learn that gamers is about games. And i think xbox playing catch up since day 1. Not on hardware but the array of games under sony that has been fans staple.

If they offer something similar without the games i dont think they can overtake sony anytime soon.

Xbox arent selling well in here even when they can be jailbroken since early on meaning virtually free games

Bojan11

Actually rumors are saying the PS5 is even more powerful than the Scarlett.
Wouldn’t really pay attention to what that game informer guy said.

The Xbox insiders seem convinced the Xbox is more powerful and PS insiders seem convinced the PS5 is more powerful. Phil Spencer was saying on giantbomb that power is important.

This thread is just pointless until all the specs are out in the open. Both are not revealing much and there’s still plenty of time to change. PS4 last time around doubled the RAM and that was a last minute decision which shocked developers. It was originally supposed to have 4gb RAM.

I think Xbox will wait for Sony to go first and then reveal. They need the power advantage more.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
They'll both be incredibly similar spec wise, and they will both push cloud gaming services. I also expect crossplay across consoles to become more commonplace.

I'm certain PS5 will ultimately be more of a success though because it will have the better of the games, which is what it ultimately comes down to.

I got an Xbox a few months ago so I could play Apex with my mates online, but I've found the quality of games to be so far inferior to that of PS4. There's literally no exclusives I've seen on the Xbox that I have any interest in.

Marcelinho87

Time for Microsoft to put the studios they acquired to work. They have some brilliant developers on board so could push out some fantastic exclusives.

As for power, both will be extremely similar.

Neither will do 4k60 either nevermind 8k120.

SirAF

Ageist
I’m on X1 now, but I’ll head back to Sony when the new console arrives.

afrocentricity

Will deffo get PS5 due to PSVR and Sony exclusives.

XBox? Remains to be seen, I'm leaning towards picking up gamepass for the PC anytime MS drops an exclusive I like the look of...

Can you play with XBox players when using game pass on PC?

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
PS5 - the exclusives will be better.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Which exclusives does the Xbox even have these days?

Bojan11

Which exclusives does the Xbox even have these days?
They have bought four or five stuidios who haven’t announced any projects either due to them keeping quiet about it or studio like Obsidian who were working on outer worlds. Same with double fine who were working on psychonauts.

Fable is being made by playgrounds.

Bojan11

Also have no doubts MS will handle the BC side better. Looks most likely Halo Infinite you can buy on the Xbox one and if you play it on Scarlett you will get the increased visuals. MS have moved the BC team to Scarlett now, so I won’t be surprised if they do a good job with the BC.

Sony need to do the same with last of us. Rather than releasing a PS5 version, I rather they enhance the PS4 version than do a cash in on a remaster. Remasters should die next gen if they remastering PS4 or Xbox one games. I don’t mind them remastering games from previous gens. The excuse for remasters last gen was lots of 360 players moved to PS4 and there was no BC so they missed out on some games.

I dont expect to buy either. PS4 will be my last console,which is illustrated by the fact its been abit of a dust collector since I brought it.

I've tended to watch more people playing games than being involved myself.

Giant Midget

Aka - rooney_10119
Microsoft keeps banging on about hardware. And while it’s great to have 2 frames more than the competition, it’s for nothing if they don’t have the games. And so far they don’t. Halo 17 doesn’t interest me. Super gears of war 72 ultra ex sigma special gundum edition doesn’t interest me. Sony might be rocking the lower specs, but they’re knocking it out with the exclusives.

On the other hand, I prefer the Xbox controller. The duel shock is today what it was in 96/97 when it came out. A regular ps controller with analog sticks unceremoniously stuck on to the bottom of it because Nintendo had one on the n64 controller. How a controller design that was nothing more than an after thought has lasted twenty odd years is nothing short of mind boggling. The ds4 is a vast improvement but I’m still not comfortable with the stick positions.

And then last but not least, my friends are all on the Xbox. Which I think is what informs our choices these days the most of what console we buy.

Meh, I’ll just get both like I always do :D
Do I have a pleasant surprise for you...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01NBKW254/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_y7KbDb7ND7HAW

I’m an Xbox guy as well until the appalling games this time made me switch to PS4. The controller was the big reason for holding back, but once I found this, I’m so glad I switched.

Hammerfell

Always been a Sony guy and I still think they’ll sell more consoles due to their exclusives but Xbox are back.

The gap will be much smaller this time around and Microsoft should pump out more exclusives than ever. Gamepass remains one of the best things in gaming and I’m intrigued to soo how Xcloud pans out.

PS5 will ‘win’ in sales but I’ll be going with a Xbox/PC combo. The X blew me away and I’m going all in next gen.
Xbox/PC combo seems like a waste considering most Microsoft games will be released on both.

afrocentricity

Reddy Rederson

Do I have a pleasant surprise for you...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01NBKW254/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_y7KbDb7ND7HAW

I’m an Xbox guy as well until the appalling games this time made me switch to PS4. The controller was the big reason for holding back, but once I found this, I’m so glad I switched.
Great minds think alike. I got this one:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Razer-RZ06...ateway&sprefix=Razor+Raiju+tou,aps,153&sr=8-1

Had it’s issues, but firmware updates has sorted it. I enjoyed days gone so much more using this than I ever would have with the ds4. Love the mech buttons as well.

binary bot
Petition for the return of Weaste to fulfill this threads full potential

Castia

Xbox/PC combo seems like a waste considering most Microsoft games will be released on both.

Released on both for one price though allowing me to play in the living room (on my X) and in the bedroom on my pain platform PC

The new joint gamepass thing will be huge come fall 2020 release of Scarlett

I'm on PC 90% of the time, it's nice when i do jump to console having a large variety of games to choose from not just the 2-3 exclusives id pick up if I owned a PS