Gaming PS5 vs Xbox Series S|X

Which do you think will release first?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bosws87

While I’m on the topic of these game subscription models how long till I need 4 to get the games from 4 major studios.

How long till I’m drip fed adverts before I can play said game.

How long till you’re getting early access or extra stuff for using their subscription model.

How long till work in progress games see a release and I’m drop fed content as and when.

Game mods on a closed system won’t exist, modding community gone. Surprisingly some of the most popular games were originally mods of existing products.

If I get banned from said system all the money I’ve piled in zero to show for it

Being forced to run the games through the windows App Store which is absolutely awful, just as bad as all these stupid steam wannabes you get on the pc platform.

You can just see a mile off where this is going and it’s not a positive outcome if you look pass the initial £10 a month unlimited games bollocks IMO

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
No worries. I'm a PC gamer myself (3700x, 32gb ram, 2080 Super, etc.) but I can understand why people would go for a console instead. Got an Xbone for Halo myself. Though you can now play most of those on PC too.
Nice rig that mate. Are you getting new ampere cards or are you happy with your super? If you are I’d sell it now before 3000 series get announced. Apparently they’ll be able support Ray tracing very well. Up to four times better or so I’ve heard. I’m actually waiting on the new cards dropping before building my new rig.

Bojan11

360 will never go down as one of the greatest console ever made for the simple fact it was manufactured with a console breaking architecture.

I loved getting the hair dryer out or waiting a few weeks as they shipped me back my console, online was fantastic on the 360 doesn't mean we had to be charged for it they saw a market pushed it and people ate it up, there is plenty of examples of people trying to enforce stuff in the PC market where enough people have stood against it that it was never implemented.

As for not owning the product i just see this less likely to push for greater games/new IP's as without having to go in the open market and sell your product the demand for quality is not as vast.

I don't think Sony would of pushed so many unique and top quality story driven games if they were just handed out on a subscription basis, this is just my feeling.

I'm totally aware people can buy it physically but the average console gamer (COD/Fifa every year) will eat up the subscription fee without thinking longer term, i just think the model as a whole is bad for the industry.

Micro transactions are bad enough this method reeks of adding more and more
It’s called having a choice. Just like movies or TV. You can buy the box set or DVD yourself or subscribe to something that has them and 100 other shows or films. Do you have Netflix? Or even Spotify or Apple Music? How many high budget shows has Netflix had over the last few years despite being sub only. The Irishman was expensive yet had a limited cinema release.

Sony has PS now, which again you conveniently forgotten. They were first to the gate with streaming and subs. MS followed them with Xcloud and now gamepass which is way better than streaming also includes xcloud in the sub.

And despite its hardware faults the 360 will go down as a top 5 console. It was third recently in a list that the guardian posted. It changed online gaming on consoles. Maybe you should give MS some credit rather than being a blinkered fanboy.

https://www.theguardian.com/games/2020/jul/16/the-25-greatest-video-game-consoles-ranked

I bet next you going to blame MS for Sony releasing a digital only PS5. Digital is going up and physical is going down. This probably could be the last consoles that come with disc drives. Soon you won’t physically own the games you own. Another one for you to blame MS.

Sony follow market trends just like with charging for online. If they see profit in anything they will go for it like all businesses. They could have carried on with our console is free online just like PS3, but if you want to subscribe you get free games. They went for the smarter option for them, which meant MS had to react and started giving away 4 free games a month too. £40 for a year and you get 2 games or 4 on Xbox a month you would think by 2020 people would find something else to moan about. If you want free online play you have a choice for that and it’s called PC. Ask @MaxiPaxi about it.

Last of us 2 did 3 million copies digital. Sony won’t ignore those sales. They’d want more people to go digital because it means you are tied to buying games directly from them and they get a bigger cut on the PS store than selling it physically.

Must have missed the adverts when I was playing Gears 5 or outer worlds on gamepass. What next you going to bitch about Fortnite being free and having concerts? Obsidian and the other studios MS bought are going to have the biggest budget they ever had. How is that a bad thing? Now I know MS haven’t got great history with some acquired studios. But Sony have also closed down quite a few studios just like EA and Activision.

Giving gamers a choice is great. If you want to own physical media then you still have that choice. If you want to subscribe to something you also have that choice. Having subs option doesn’t mean games will suffer. Fortnite was free and it changed gaming.

Last edited:

Bosws87

It’s called having a choice. Just like movies or TV. You can buy the box set or DVD yourself or subscribe to something that has them and 100 other shows or films. Do you have Netflix? Or even Spotify or Apple Music? How many high budget shows has Netflix had over the last few years despite being sub only. The Irishman was expensive yet had a limited cinema release.

Sony has PS now, which again you conveniently forgotten. They were first to the gate with streaming and subs. MS followed them with Xcloud and now gamepass which is way better than streaming also includes xcloud in the sub.

And despite its hardware faults the 360 will go down as a top 5 console. It was third recently in a list that the guardian posted. It changed online gaming on consoles. Maybe you should give MS some credit rather than being a blinkered fanboy.

https://www.theguardian.com/games/2020/jul/16/the-25-greatest-video-game-consoles-ranked

I bet next you going to blame MS for Sony releasing a digital only PS5. Digital is going up and physical is going down. This probably could be the last consoles that come with disc drives. Soon you won’t physically own the games you . Another one for you to blame MS.

Sony follow market trends just like with charging for online. If they see profit in anything they will go for it like all businesses. They could have carried on with our console is free online just like PS3, but if you want to subscribe you get free games. They went for the smarter option for them, which meant MS had to react and started giving away 4 free games a month too. £40 for a year and you get 2 games or 4 on Xbox a month you would think by 2020 people would find something else to moan about. If you want free online play you have a choice for that and it’s called PC. Ask @MaxiPaxi about it.

Last of us 2 did 3 million copies digital. Sony won’t ignore those sales. They’d want more people to go digital because it means you are tied to buying games directly from them and they get a bigger cut on the PS store than selling it physically.

Must have missed the adverts when I was playing Gears 5 or outer worlds on gamepass. What next you going to bitch about Fortnite being free and having concerts? Obsidian and the other studios MS bought are going to have the biggest budget they ever had. How is that a bad thing? Now I know MS haven’t got great history with some acquired studios. But Sony have also closed down quite a few studios just like EA and Activision.

Giving gamers a choice is great. If you want to own physical media then you still have that choice. If you want to subscribe to something you also have that choice. Having subs option doesn’t mean games will suffer. Fortnite was free and it changed gaming.
Im predominantly a PC gamer i haven't had a disc drive for years :lol: stop trying to defend a faceless corporation and take my comments from an open mind, i don't care if Microsoft/Sony or Nintendo have the best console i've owned them all.

Bojan11

Im predominantly a PC gamer i haven't had a disc drive for years :lol: stop trying to defend a faceless corporation and take my comments from an open mind, i don't care if Microsoft/Sony or Nintendo have the best console i've owned them all.
You the one wishing a company fails with no real explanation besides you don’t like gamepass. Which is bizarre especially if you on PC and enjoying your Netflix sub.

If MS up their game then Sony will have to up theirs too. So why do you want them to fail?

Bosws87

You the one wishing a company fails with no real explanation besides you don’t like gamepass. Which is bizarre especially if you on PC.

If MS up their game then Sony will have to up theirs too. So why do you want them to fail?
Because as explained before the subscription model for gaming opens up some things i disagree with i don't want to be fed a 2 minute advert when i boot a game up or be at a disadvantage as i didn't buy the game a certain way so on and so on.

Similar to you know when the original xbox one was announced with forced kinect and always online console or you couldnt play your games it failed miserably so we didn't have to keep that crap either.

Bojan11

Because as explained before the subscription model for gaming opens up some things i disagree with i don't want to be fed a 2 minute advert when i boot a game up or be at a disadvantage as i didn't buy the game a certain way so on and so on.

Similar to you know when the original xbox one was announced with forced kinect and always online console or you couldnt play your games it failed miserably so we didn't have to keep that crap either.

So we going back to stuff that was planned but didn’t happen under previous management? Which they did a quick u turn and realised they screwed up. What does this have to do with now? That has no correlation to gamepass. What 2 minute advert? Give me examples of games that have had that?

You do realise that Sony video it’s impossible to do that if you buy the digital PS5. Also I hope MS do bring back some of the stuff that they announced for Xbox one like the digital family sharing option now that you mention it. @Alock1 tell the team to bring that back.

You could just save time and say I want MS to fail because I love Sony so much. Would make more sense than you going on about 2 minute adverts that don’t exist and posting vids or stuff from 7 years ago. Atleast that slime ball @esmufc07 can admit who he is.

buckooo1978

for those who have both consoles how does Game Pass compare to PS Now

I've only had Xbox's since PS2

Bojan11

for those who have both consoles how does Game Pass compare to PS Now

I've only had Xbox's since PS2
Its better as all the games are downloadable. You can download PS now games but they have to be playable on PS4 and the selection is low compared to gamepass where all games are downloadable.

It also has a better selection of games. Yakuza series, kingdom heart series, Nier Automata, streets of rage 4 and plenty of others including the usual Xbox exclusives.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/xbox-game-pass-games-list-this-month-price-6400

Bosws87

So we going back to stuff that was planned but didn’t happen under previous management? Which they did a quick u turn and realised they screwed up. What does this have to do with now? That has no correlation to gamepass. What 2 minute advert? Give me examples of games that have had that?

You do realise that Sony video it’s impossible to do that if you buy the digital PS5. Also I hope MS do bring back some of the stuff that they announced for Xbox one like the digital family sharing option now that you mention it. @Alock1 tell the team to bring that back.

You could just save time and say I want MS to fail because I love Sony so much. Would make more sense than you going on about 2 minute adverts that don’t exist and posting vids or stuff from 7 years ago. Atleast that slime ball @esmufc07 can admit who he is.
Yep never played Xbox love Sony

I forgot how childish and defensive people got over someone not liking some features of their favourite piece of hardware, i own an xbox elite controller because you know its the best controller on the market, i also have an adaptor so i can use the xbox controller on ps4 along with my PC.

I also happen to think when you could fully install games on the xbox 360 and just needed the disk in the drive as security that this was a fantastic feature, the universal invite system unlike the original botched job on the ps3 which was unique to every game was also amazing.

Ori will of the wisps & the blind forest also incredibly cool games, imagine that being able to appreciate quality pieces of work no matter who created it, this silly love to one brand is only hurting your own enjoyment not mine.

Feel free to add me on xbox live Seanb21 :rolleyes:

Bojan11

Yep never played Xbox love Sony

I forgot how childish and defensive people got over someone not liking some features of their favourite piece of hardware, i own an xbox elite controller because you know its the best controller on the market, i also have an adaptor so i can use the xbox controller on ps4 along with my PC.

I also happen to think when you could fully install games on the xbox 360 and just needed the disk in the drive as security that this was a fantastic feature, the universal invite system unlike the original botched job on the ps3 which was unique to every game was also amazing.

Ori will of the wisps & the blind forest also incredibly cool games, imagine that being able to appreciate quality pieces of work no matter who created it, this silly love to one brand is only hurting your own enjoyment not mine.

Mate there’s no need to upload potato footage of your mates Xbox account.

We all know how you feel no need to get defensive about it. You said it yourself you hope MS fail. Just embrace it.

That’s what we want. MS to fail and Sony left on their own because competition would be bad for consumers. I’m off to watch the imaginary 2 minute adverts.

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
Possibly a tad high I’d have though but it will easily pass 100m. Xbox won’t come close.
Probably 60 million lifetime for Xbox.

In other news, I've just spent £155 on a controller for Xbox so I'm getting a Series X first.

I'm hopeful of picking up a PS5 next year.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Personally I don't think I'll ever subscribe to PS Now. The playstation games I want I'll buy.
I would subscribe to gamepass for pc, for a limited time if it included games that I'm very tempted to just play and get the experience done with, like The Lost Odyssey, Fable 2 or the new Fable.

Bojan11

£155 on a controller!! You clearly have too much money :lol:
I bought it too. What’s your problem? It’s a good controller and you can use it on the series X. So it’s not going to waste when new console is out.

Bosws87

Probably 60 million lifetime for Xbox.

In other news, I've just spent £155 on a controller for Xbox so I'm getting a Series X first.

I'm hopeful of picking up a PS5 next year.
Cracking controller just give the face buttons a good test when you have it as the manufacturing is hit and miss.

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
Cracking controller just give the face buttons a good test when you have it as the manufacturing is hit and miss.
I remember you saying this. So, if they are sticking you have to wear them in? Or send back right away?

Bosws87

I remember you saying this. So, if they are sticking you have to wear them in? Or send back right away?
Send it back they wont stick you will press the button and nothing happens you will notice it straight away.

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
Send it back they wont stick you will press the button and nothing happens you will notice it straight away.
OK, thanks. By the way, according to the MS site, it's not getting delivered until late August! These things are to get hold of.

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian

Awesome.
So you want a company to fail who has brought you the best controller on the market.
A company that has brought games to you that PS haven't, which would hurt your enjoyment.
And a silly love to one brand, yet you want one to fail, leaving you with one brand.

Bosws87

Awesome.
So you want a company to fail who has brought you the best controller on the market.
A company that has brought games to you that PS haven't, which would hurt your enjoyment.
And a silly love to one brand, yet you want one to fail, leaving you with one brand.
Yeh so they change like they did with the xbox one, such a hard concept to understand.

Everyone conveniently forgotten the original launch of the xbox one and what a disaster it was and games were just an extra.

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
Yeh so they change like they did with the xbox one, such a hard concept to understand.

Everyone conveniently forgotten the original launch of the xbox one and what a disaster it was and games were just an extra.
But Xbox gamespass is a good thing for consumers.
Unlike the Xbox one launch, people are actually behind this, so it wont fail.

If the console absolutely bombs, who knows, maybe they'd back away this time, so again why do you want them to fail?
And considering you're on the PC like me, all our games are digital. All our games are non tradeable.

Origin access for the PC is a great example of this. £80 for the year. Every game, the most expensive editions, all available from day one.
Most games these days are throwaway. Most people only play the latest CODs, Fifa's etc.
So the top end Fifa game being around £70 a year, yet for an extra £10 you can have their full library for a year

Bosws87

But Xbox gamespass is a good thing for consumers.
Unlike the Xbox one launch, people are actually behind this, so it wont fail.

If the console absolutely bombs, who knows, maybe they'd back away this time, so again why do you want them to fail?
And considering you're on the PC like me, all our games are digital. All our games are non tradeable.

Origin access for the PC is a great example of this. £80 for the year. Every game, the most expensive editions, all available from day one.
Most games these days are throwaway. Most people only play the latest CODs, Fifa's etc.
So the top end Fifa game being around £70 a year, yet for an extra £10 you can have their full library for a year
Nah all these steam spawns are dreadful and multiple subscription services isn't a good thing, netflix, prime and disney + hasn't suddenly made my viewing any better its just cost me more to watch a core of shows.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
All very good points.... but games on Xbox not looking very compelling right now. Do they have more games for the short term yet to be announced or is this it?

Bojan11

Change what? Here we go again. You were talking about imaginary adverts that don’t even exist. Then start posting crap from 2013 about used games, which had nothing do with the convo.

Even if gamepass succeeds, it doesn’t mean every other publisher is going to follow suit and copy that model.

EA have had their own sub system from last gen, yet they give you a limited time on new releases and release Fifa or any other game on it 6 or 7 months down the line. It makes no business sense for them to have Fifa on there day one when people will pay £50 for the copy.

Rockstar won’t follow it. GTA still is in the charts, so a sub system wouldn’t work for them. If they had released a sub system then GTA wouldn’t be the sales juggernaut it is. It’s literally been in the charts from 2013.

Ubisoft have their own sub service on PC. But new games release after a while on it, so no Valhalla or Watchdogs Legion.

Sony have had PS now. No new releases be on there day and why would they? If Sony first party games keep selling it’s irrelevant to them on how successful game pass is. Both are taking different approaches.

Publishers aren’t giving up the £50 for a game model, so I just don’t get what point your making especially as some of them are increasing the price for games to £60 for next gen. Also if you buy 10 games a year at full price, it would be cheaper subscribing to 4 or 5 places where you get access to hundreds of games.

What works for MS isn’t going to work for other publishers. Why is that hard to understand? MS have the deepest pockets in gaming, so can take risks like this where they release new games on gamepass.

Bojan11

All very good points.... but games on Xbox not looking very compelling right now. Do they have more games for the short term yet to be announced or is this it?
They have a few studios that didn’t show anything. But those are not coming any time soon. Both are going to announce more games next month.

But like I said before besides the odd Sony exclusive, year one and possible two will be cross gen stuff mainly for both.

Bosws87

Change what? Here we go again. You were talking about imaginary adverts that don’t even exist. Then start posting crap from 2013 about used games, which had nothing do with the convo.

Even if gamepass succeeds, it doesn’t mean every other publisher is going to follow suit and copy that model.

EA have had their own sub system from last gen, yet they give you a limited time on new releases and release Fifa or any other game on it 6 or 7 months down the line. It makes no business sense for them to have Fifa on there day one when people will pay £50 for the copy.

Rockstar won’t follow it. GTA still is in the charts, so a sub system wouldn’t work for them. If they had released a sub system then GTA wouldn’t be the sales juggernaut it is. It’s literally been in the charts from 2013.

Ubisoft have their own sub service on PC. But new games release after a while on it, so no Valhalla or Watchdogs Legion.

Sony have had PS now. No new releases be on there day and why would they? If Sony first party games keep selling it’s irrelevant to them on how successful game pass is. Both are taking different approaches.

Publishers aren’t giving up the £50 for a game model, so I just don’t get what point your making especially as some of them are increasing the price for games to £60 for next gen. Also if you buy 10 games a year at full price, it would be cheaper subscribing to 4 or 5 places where you get access to hundreds of games.

What works for MS isn’t going to work for other publishers. Why is that hard to understand? MS have the deepest pockets in gaming, so can take risks like this where they release new games on gamepass.
Nearly everything that becomes standard is from a product pushing it to become successful, DVD, Blu-ray, MP3, the netflix model, paid online console gaming, micro transactions, in game gambling (fifa points, cs skins etc) not everything successful is positive imo.

I like owning products physical/digital if the game pass is a huge success its naturally going to be the norm through many more then just Microsoft games you might think that's great i personally think its awful.

pretending that it won't effect the industry is bollocks, simple as.

Bojan11

Nearly everything that becomes standard is from a product pushing it to become successful, DVD, Blu-ray, MP3, the netflix model, paid online console gaming, micro transactions, in game gambling (fifa points, cs skins etc) not everything successful is positive imo.

I like owning products physical/digital if the game pass is a huge success its naturally going to be the norm through many more then just Microsoft games you might think that's great i personally think its awful.

pretending that it won't effect the industry is bollocks, simple as.
You do realise nearly most games have had micro transactions from the last 10 years? This is way before gamepass existed. Also besides Fifa, I think most pubs have learnt their lesson regarding micro transactions. You know that free game which nobody paid for called Fortnite which you could buy cosmetic items. Now a lot of games are going down that route, I don’t care about that. They can charge for cosmetic items all they want as long as it does not impact the gameplay. Same for skins. I don’t care for skins or shit as long as they not charging for weapons.

Yeah, I can see Sony and everyone copying MS. Even Nintendo maybe too, why not? Forget charging £50 for a single game which works for Sony and Nintendo. They’d just ignore what still works for them and jump on the bandwagon to join MS. They’d probably put adverts in their games too to spite you.

You don’t seem to grasp that publishers can have different strategies. Just like in football, managers have different tactics. What’s going to work for one publisher isn’t going to work for another.

Sony don’t need to emulate gamepass. It would be great if they did, but it would make no business sense for them. When God of War 2 is out, people are going to rush out and buy it. They not going to say hang on MS are giving their new games free, why aren’t Sony? Sony have solid first party support like Nintendo. People will rush out and buy their games regardless if MS give them out for free.

The £50 or £60 gaming model is going to be here a while. So quit your belly aching.

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian

Just to point out on PC, EA have premium access at £80 a year, for everything, day one.
It may not be worth for most people, but especially for sports fans, it's an absolute bargain.

And owning sports games have zero return unless you get rid very quickly

Edit: The Uplay sub also release all games on release

Bojan11

Gabe Newell is currently hanging out in New Zealand—probably one of the nicest places in the world to set up shop right now—after deciding to stay when the coronavirus struck back in March. He's putting on a free concert with live music and VR stands to thank the country, but he's also taken some time to stoke the fires of console rivalry.

Valve doesn't have a stake in the battle for console top dog, according to Newell, but he was still happy to share his two cents with the hosts of current affairs show The Project. They asked which of the two upcoming consoles gets his recommendation, and he didn't even need to think about it.

"Xbox Series X," he said immediately. It's better "because it is," he added. Well then. The rivalry between platforms seems a bit antiquated now, with every console getting closer and closer to just being a PC and exclusives being increasingly rare. Maybe Newell is just a bit bored and wants to rekindle that rivalry.

"I don’t have a stake in that race," he said. "Obviously we do most of our development on personal computers, but of the two I would definitely go with an Xbox."
https://www.pcgamer.com/gabe-newell-thinks-the-xbox-series-x-is-better-than-the-playstation-5/

In your face @esmufc07.

Bosws87

https://www.wsj.com/articles/marketers-experiment-with-tv-ads-in-console-videogames-11595768400

Hardcore gamers, if they are used to paying $60-plus for a videogame, they may not feel aligned with an ad-supported experience,” said John Frelinghuysen, managing director of consulting firm L.E.K. Consulting, which has researched the subject of ads in games. “But as you move down to midcore or casual-level gamers, playing free games or games on subscription services, we think the market is much more ready for that.”

Bojan11

Again clutching at straws.

We get it you don’t like gamepass. But that’s not going to stop you buying MS games. You can buy their games separately. How many times do I have to explain this to you? Sopranos is on HBO or Sky on demand. Yet you can buy the boxset separately if you wish. Just like Better call Saul is on Netflix, but I can buy the blu ray.

The option is there with all games too. You can join a sub like PS NOW, uplay, EA Access or buy the games outright. Why is that hard for you to understand? That’s not going away.

If there were some good exclusives for Xbox I’d have no issue picking one up alongside the PS5. Sadly the ones they do have don’t interest me and I’ve seen nothing from their line up to convince me otherwise.
I agree with you. Last week they didn’t do a good job selling the Series x unless you love Xbox. Spencer just said there’s another event coming in August, so who knows. They did a good job selling gamepass more. The hardware side they do a good job with console and controller. Game side they lagging behind Nintendo and Sony.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Again clutching at straws.

We get it you don’t like gamepass. But that’s not going to stop you buying MS games. You can buy their games separately. How many times do I have to explain this to you? Sopranos is on HBO or Sky on demand. Yet you can buy the boxset separately if you wish. Just like Better call Saul is on Netflix, but I can buy the blu ray.

The option is there with all games too. You can join a sub like PS NOW, uplay, EA Access or buy the games outright. Why is that hard for you to understand? That’s not going away.

I agree with you. Last week they didn’t do a good job selling the Series x unless you love Xbox. Spencer just said there’s another event coming in August, so who knows. They did a good job selling gamepass more. The hardware side they do a good job with console and controller. Game side they lagging behind Nintendo and Sony.
Yeah I’m not privy to MS’s strategy going forward. In 10 years we may not even have traditional consoles and the Stadia model may be more popular. As you’ve said though competition is good and Xbox forced Sony to adapt and for the better so I’ve no complaints. At heart I’m a PlayStation fan and have been ever since I got a PS1 and that’s not likely to ever change :lol: