Gaming PS5 vs Xbox Series S|X

Which do you think will release first?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Where did I say appreciate this news?

I said appreciate what Xbox have done for online gaming on consoles. Sony with the PS3 didn’t have any clue with online gaming and it showed with how antiquated it was compared to the 360.
I think with the PS3 there was a lot of arrogance with Sony that it would just be a success. The delayed Launch, the absolutely terrible OS and the paltry games and online offering put them in deep shite. They’ve definitely learned from their mistakes though. I think the PS4 OS is better than Xbox’s and honestly there’s feck all difference with the online services now (Live and PS+). Aside from the hacking scandal I haven’t had an issue playing online in years.

All that said, MS rushed their console yo market knowing full well it was flawed and not to standard.Got a 360 for Xmas day and on Boxing Day it had the RROD. Think the failure rate was 58% at one point. So yeah, better online offering on a console which was likely to die on you.

Castia

New Halo multiplayer confirmed to be f2p and run at 120fps and multiple rumours saying they’re completely dropping the price of Xbox Live. Fair play to Microsoft this could be huge.

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
PS+ isn’t a rival to gamepass though, it would be PS Now. There are plenty of good games on there; I just think MS have done a far better job at marketing gamepass than Sony have done with PS Now.

MS pushing gamepass so hard and the ability to play old games is probably because they have feck all coming up in the future though.
I dunno.

It's quite clear to me they are trying to replicate the Netflix model.

Have a high value catalogue of third party and old content whilst investing in Studios to produce original content. Over time, shift the value to Original content which keeps players locked in to the subscription.

They've invested a lot in studios and now have a good roster, but games take time. Give them chance.

They either show too early and people claim it's mostly CGI or too far away, or they don't show and these studios are apparently sat building nothing?

Who knows whether the quality of those games will match up to Sony or whether they will be mismanaged. I think some are concerned that the sub model will influence the games direction and build, which is probably true (why they said Halo Infinite would be a 10 year platform as opposed to conventional sequals). But plenty of games have done well with that model - look at Rainbow Six Siege, or, in fairness to MS, Sea of Thieves after an average launch

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
I dunno.

It's quite clear to me they are trying to replicate the Netflix model.

Have a high value catalogue of third party and old content whilst investing in Studios to produce original content. Over time, shift the value to Original content which keeps players locked in to the subscription.

They've invested a lot in studios and now have a good roster, but games take time. Give them chance.

They either show too early and people claim it's mostly CGI or too far away, or they don't show and these studios are apparently sat building nothing?

Who knows whether the quality of those games will match up to Sony or whether they will be mismanaged. I think some are concerned that the sub model will influence the games direction and build, which is probably true (why they said Halo Infinite would be a 10 year platform as opposed to conventional sequals). But plenty of games have done well with that model - look at Rainbow Six Siege, or, in fairness to MS, Sea of Thieves after an average launch
Hopefully. It would be great to see MS churning out great games as ultimately gamers benefit. I’ve no issue with the gamepass model personally, I think it’s excellent value for money, whether you’re a hardcore gamer or someone who is just a tad more casual.

Alock1

My issue with Xbox has been a lack in variety and quantity than quality.

Gears, Halo, Forza Horizon and Forza have all had really good games on Xbox (8/10). But ultimately they're the same.

I didn't get into Gears 5 or Horizon 4 because of fatigue with the series but both games are good.

Some variety has been there. Loved Sunset Overdrive and Ori. Sea of Thieves, Killer Instinct, Halo Wars aren't really my thing but they're nice options. But they needed more. I actually think they've paid a little for not investing in the longer term - Sunset ended up enabling a fantastic Spiderman game and Quantum Break paved the way for Control. In both instances MS didn't look to continue a relationship with those studios.

On the quality front, maybe you could say they haven't had a 10/10 like a TLOU, God of War or 9/10 like Spiderman and Bloodborne (I don't agree with any of these scores but appreciate many will). But now with Obsidian, a second Playground studio, the Hellblade developers and the creation of Initiative (clearly intended to be their ND/Santa Monica) then they have the talent.

Avowed, Hellblade 2 and Fable could all be those 9/10 games. Halo, Gears, Forza and Horizon will all continue to be strong offerings. Need to see what Initiative bring to the table.

Bojan11

I think with the PS3 there was a lot of arrogance with Sony that it would just be a success. The delayed Launch, the absolutely terrible OS and the paltry games and online offering put them in deep shite. They’ve definitely learned from their mistakes though. I think the PS4 OS is better than Xbox’s and honestly there’s feck all difference with the online services now (Live and PS+). Aside from the hacking scandal I haven’t had an issue playing online in years.

All that said, MS rushed their console yo market knowing full well it was flawed and not to standard.Got a 360 for Xmas day and on Boxing Day it had the RROD. Think the failure rate was 58% at one point. So yeah, better online offering on a console which was likely to die on you.
You are talking shite mate.

I would happily take the better online offering console that had Dead Rising, Saints Row, and Mass Effect 1 when they released. ME1 released 5 years later on PS3 and ME2 a year later, by then it was over because EA had buried the franchise and your precious Sony cursed Mass Effect. As since then whenever a Mass Effect launched on the same day on both consoles it has flopped. The sony curse got them hard. I heard the curse even extends to humans, so you should be careful when you cross the road.

Also @Alock1 the only game that works GaaS is Forza because there’s literally minimal difference between the last 5 or whatever they released on Xbox one. Don’t compare Halo to Rainbow Six. Destiny would have been a better comparison, but Destiny is made by competent developers. If MS had listened to them in the first place and let them make another game rather than being a Halo factory then MS would still have Bungie as first party.

The main issue with Infinite is they didn’t even showcase the power of the Series X and it is held back due to being developed for a 2013 console that was a turd and should be binned by now. They were giving the big slogans like ray tracing when X was announced and it doesn’t even have that, which is weird. I would still probably play the old Bungie games online because I’m not a fan of Halo having sprint. I will give it a try, but I’m more a fan of jumping to dodge.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
You are talking shite mate.

I would happily take the better online offering console that had Dead Rising, Saints Row, and Mass Effect 1 when they released. ME1 released 5 years later on PS3 and ME2 a year later, by then it was over because EA had buried the franchise and your precious Sony cursed Mass Effect. As since then whenever a Mass Effect launched on the same day on both consoles it has flopped. The sony curse got them hard. I heard the curse even extends to humans, so you should be careful when you cross the road.
I was playing Rainbow Six Vegas online so shove your Mass Effect.

Bojan11

I was playing Rainbow Six Vegas online so shove your Mass Effect.
I was in a party chat laughing that you were getting abused by some 12 year old on Rainbow six, whilst I was surrounded by just friends and not having to talk to the chavs or racists in game chat like you were.

Also @Mr Pigeon and @Revan you see how disrespectful he is against a classic like Mass Effect.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
I was in a party chat laughing that you were getting abused by some 12 year old on Rainbow six, whilst I was surrounded by just friends and not having to talk to the chavs or racists in game chat like you were.
Couldn’t even get to the XMB if you were in game for the first few years :lol:

Alock1

@Bojan11 I didn't compare Halo with Rainbow any more than I did Sea of Thieves. The point was that they will consider the business model around subscriptions and ongoing engagement into the deployment of the game, which can work if done well, but I do understand why people may be concerned with where that could go.

Halo will have seasons on multiplayer and story expansions on single player

Forza can release new tracks and car packs

Horizon can release new locations / hubs

As for sprinting, didn't the demo show no sprinting? I assumed that was to say it won't be in there. Unless they plan to have it as an upgrade since it talks about unlocking grappling hooks and other mechanics. Guessing it won't be in multiplayer but maybe.. I loved Halo 5 multiplayer so don't mind too much.

Agree that it's very weird to not have raytracing at launch if you're going to market with raytracing as one of the key selling points (I don't know that it's actually important but since they are talking it up, it's crazy it's not there)

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
I prefer the PS and have a PS4 generally, but I'm 99% sure I'd get Xbox this time around for Gamepass alone. It's absolutely amazing. I have it on PC and it is far, far better than PS+.
PlayStation equivalent to Game Pass is PlayStation Now, not PS+.
Xbox equivalent to PlayStation Plus is Xbox Live Gold.

PlayStation Now has way more games than Game Pass and is cheaper (on cdkeys 12 months PSNow is £49.99 RRP, £36.99 discounted while Game Pass console is £89.99 RRP, £59.99 discounted - couldn't see a regular price for PC but imagine it is similar, taking out the introductory price for first month and the limited time price of £3.99/month) but Game Pass has the first party games day one, all(?) games you can download while on PSNow you have to stream some and I believe the resolution is capped at 720p as they're running on very old hardware. Sony have made a deal with Microsoft to team up on cloud gaming and streaming but they'll still need to upgrade things.

Bojan11

@Bojan11 I didn't compare Halo with Rainbow any more than I did Sea of Thieves. The point was that they will consider the business model around subscriptions and ongoing engagement into the deployment of the game, which can work if done well, but I do understand why people may be concerned with where that could go.

Halo will have seasons on multiplayer and story expansions on single player

Forza can release new tracks and car packs

Horizon can release new locations / hubs

As for sprinting, didn't the demo show no sprinting? I assumed that was to say it won't be in there. Unless they plan to have it as an upgrade since it talks about unlocking grappling hooks and other mechanics. Guessing it won't be in multiplayer but maybe.. I loved Halo 5 multiplayer so don't mind too much.

Agree that it's very weird to not have raytracing at launch if you're going to market with raytracing as one of the key selling points (I don't know that it's actually important but since they are talking it up, it's crazy it's not there)
Halo 4 and 5 just garbage for me online. They tried too much going for the COD crowd rather than making it Halo online. To be fair there were quite a few games during that time trying to replicate COD. Which was annoying as if I want to play COD then I will.

Halo 2 is the best online and 3 is followed after that. Reach and 1 were good too.

Ray tracing isn’t really important. But considering they been hyping it up as next gen features it should have it. Have you decided what you getting? Did that conference sway you?

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
Crossplay on Xbox games are dependant on the game. Halo MCC doesn’t have it. That’s because the game arrived broken when it came in 2014 and they probably don’t want to break matchmaking even more by adding PC. As you can’t even do coop campaign with a friend on Xbox, if you have PC.

Gears, sea of thieves and Forza all have crossplay.

Had a look at the latest sales figures, Sony sold over 400k PS4s in India, Xbox sold 40k and you have to import the Switch to buy it there. So I would probably tell you to stick with PS because even with cross play on PC and Xbox the user base will be tiny compared to PS. As it seems like only Sony exist in India, MS have made a half arsed attempt and Nintendo haven’t bothered at all which is odd. Any reason why Nintendo don’t sell there?
Cost is the biggest factor I guess. Nintendo have to build everything from ground up here while Sony had a decent retailer network already. Still I don't think you will find a lot in India who would spend money on consoles. I guess next generation adoption rate might be better. But again cost is huge issue as it is usually 100$ more expensive due to import tax.
For Nintendo, I think with the price of console and games, I don't think they will sell well in India.

I think sales number is down to the fact that people associate Gaming Console with PlayStation. And rest prefer Gaming PC as it is easier to justify PC to their parents than a gaming machine. Xbox is also much more expensive than PS. I hope they don't make it too expensive for next gen because with adoption rate of LCD tv, I think if they price it smartly, console adoption rate will be far higher this time

Alock1

Halo 4 and 5 just garbage for me online. They tried too much going for the COD crowd rather than making it Halo online. To be fair there were quite a few games during that time trying to replicate COD. Which was annoying as if I want to play COD then I will.

Halo 2 is the best online and 3 is followed after that. Reach and 1 were good too.

Ray tracing isn’t really important. But considering they been hyping it up as next gen features it should have it. Have you decided what you getting? Did that conference sway you?
I'll get both. Xbox first for Halo and gamepass but it won't be long before I get a PS5. I think I got PS4 and Switch both within a year of launch.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Gamepass doesn’t interest you? Yet you keep talking about it. I don’t talk about stuff that doesn’t interest me.

Oh and I’m talking about this matey

The old everyone does it so it’s fine. Don’t call them out on it. Damn you, Jason Schrier with a grudge. Your response to that to is have a go at MS because you somehow managed to bring them into that debate and link me a vid of a guy who who was being homophobic within the first min and he was saying how you can go on Xbox live to call black people pee pee heads. Did you not see why in the first 2 minutes of the vid how MS stopped working with that clown?

I ain’t having that lad. There’s a reason I tag @Alock1 because he was ultra defensive about Xbox even though his arguments were more compelling than yours and would not stop going on about Project spark. I found my new Sony PR man to tag. You beat @esmufc07, so piss off Elvis. I got PC with @MaxiPaxi but Maxi atleast can praise consoles. Now I need to find my Nintendo guy.
I like console gaming as it’s really accessible, you just plug and play. Sometimes that’s great. PS’s trophies, for me, are the best. I wouldn’t say I’m a complete nerd but I do have ten platinums.
Xbox’s game pass is superb as well, and the xcloud, that will be a game changer. I used it in a beta stage and it had some problems, for me anyway, but it’s everything Stadia should have been.

I tend to tinker too much with PC graphics and stuff, which I kind of like as well, but sometimes I legit spend more time tinkering than playing. But I love having that ability to do that. I’m also a bit of a graphics whore, I just can’t stand knowing that I can get better graphics elsewhere and hence PC is the obvious choice.

Bojan11

Which LG did you get @MaxiPaxi? As they recommending quite a few LG TVs in that article.

GT 7 is also rumoured to be 120 FPS. Kaz was hinting at it early this year.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert

Which LG did you get @MaxiPaxi? As they recommending quite a few LG TVs in that article.

GT 7 is also rumoured to be 120 FPS. Kaz was hinting at it early this year.
I got LG C9 55 inch. Was about to buy CX but I found the very last one in Newry, and drove there and saved myself about 600 quid. I'm still blown away by it — can’t wait to play 120fps on it. Just waiting for ampere architecture to release now.

Edit: Though I’m not sure how many actual titles that will run 120fps. It will probably be on 1080p unless they’re doing some serious wizardry on consoles.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Hello people who know more about the technical stuff than I:

Will the Series X be able to play 4k at 120Hz?

I'm looking at buying a HDMI splitter and all the 1in2out ones seem to be 4k at 30Hz, which seems a bit pap. I'm guessing the XSX will do 4k at 60Hz at least, no?

Last edited:

paulscholes18

I'm looking at buying a HDMI splitter and all the 1in2out ones seem to be 4k at 30Hz, which seems a bit pap. I'm guessing the XSX will do 4k at 60Hz at least, no?
The series X base setting is at 60 FPS, optimised games will run at 4K 120 FPS

Bojan11

Ori is 4K/120hz, but expect that sort of game to be able to hit that.

Most games especially by third party won’t hit those numbers unless you downgrade the resolution probably.

Your TV also needs to support HDMI 2.1 to do 4K/120hz.

Currently there are no 4k/120hz monitors, but companies are starting to announce them.

Also I wouldn’t use a splitter for gaming cables. TVs tend to have two ports that have HDR. Are you not using them? Unless your console is far away from your TV? How many things you got hooked up there?

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.

It's been years since I've looked at splitters, as they are generally poop unless you are paying silly money, but the XSX is capable of 120fps but hopefully will do at least 60fps as standard. Now, this is where a lot of the articles seem to be getting confused, fps IS NOT the same as the HZ your tv or monitor can output.

But in terms of connection to your tv regardless, HDMI 2.1 will do 4k @ 120hz so I expect splitters to mostly do 4k @ 60hz. In real terms, most games should be 60fps in one way or another, that's the bare minimum we should expect, so it all depends on your tv and what you want to aim for.

In any case not many games will do anywhere near close to 4k @120fps, even 4k @60 will need a lot of concessions in other areas. If they offer performance modes in all games that give 120fps, and your tv can handle 120hz, that's the way I'd go but I wouldn't use a splitter in any case.

Bojan11

The series X base setting is at 60 FPS, optimised games will run at 4K 120 FPS
There will be very few games that hit 4k 120fps on both consoles. It be games that aren’t graphically challenging like Ori.

Even 4k at 60fps is a dream especially when new AC is supposed to be 4k 30fps. That’s a cross gen game too. The medium is another at 4k 30fps.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Ori is 4K/120hz, but expect that sort of game to be able to hit that.

Most games especially by third party won’t hit those numbers unless you downgrade the resolution probably.

Your TV also needs to support HDMI 2.1 to do 4K/120hz.

Currently there are no 4k/120hz monitors, but companies are starting to announce them.

Also I wouldn’t use a splitter for gaming cables. TVs tend to have two ports that have HDR. Are you not using them? Unless your console is far away from your TV? How many things you got hooked up there?
Halo for example - will that be 4k 120Hz? I'm just trying to future proof my set up a bit. My current TV only allows for 4k 60Hz but that might get replaced in the next year.

Reason I want a 1in2out splitter is for a capture card (sick of losing captures on Xbox and want our voices on there too for added hilarity when shared back to the group), but when I'm not fannying about with that I don't want to have to plug the card in to my laptop and switch it on every time. Would be much easier switching to a HDMI cable that is connected directly to the TV instead. I wouldn't be splitting the signal. Just changing lanes. Maybe HDMI switch would've been a better term?

paulscholes18

Halo for example - will that be 4k 120Hz? I'm just trying to future proof my set up a bit. My current TV only allows for 4k 60Hz but that might get replaced in the next year.

Reason I want a 1in2out splitter is for a capture card (sick of losing captures on Xbox and want our voices on there too for added hilarity when shared back to the group), but when I'm not fannying about with that I don't want to have to plug the card in to my laptop and switch it on every time. Would be much easier switching to a HDMI cable that is connected directly to the TV instead. I wouldn't be splitting the signal. Just changing lanes.
All confirmed 120 FPS games
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...firmed-120fps-games-for-ps5-and-xbox-series-x

Bojan11

Reason I want a 1in2out splitter is for a capture card (sick of losing captures on Xbox), but when I'm not fannying about with that I don't want to have to plug the card in to my laptop and switch it on every time. Would be much easier switching to a HDMI cable that is connected directly to the TV instead. I wouldn't be splitting the signal. Just changing lanes.
Halo online will run at 120hz, but they haven’t announced at what resolution. It’s definitely not going to be 4k in my opinion.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
It's been years since I've looked at splitters, as they are generally poop unless you are paying silly money, but the XSX is capable of 120fps but hopefully will do at least 60fps as standard. Now, this is where a lot of the articles seem to be getting confused, fps IS NOT the same as the HZ your tv or monitor can output.

But in terms of connection to your tv regardless, HDMI 2.1 will do 4k @ 120hz so I expect splitters to mostly do 4k @ 60hz. In real terms, most games should be 60fps in one way or another, that's the bare minimum we should expect, so it all depends on your tv and what you want to aim for.

In any case not many games will do anywhere near close to 4k @120fps, even 4k @60 will need a lot of concessions in other areas. If they offer performance modes in all games that give 120fps, and your tv can handle 120hz, that's the way I'd go but I wouldn't use a splitter in any case.
Sorry I meant switch rather than splitter. Essentially changing lanes to simplify things (see reply to Bojan). I don't to want to get a new TV to enjoy 120Hz or whatever then my set up be all out of whack. I guess a 4k 120Hz switch might be out by then though. Or at least 4k at more than 30, which is all that seems to be available on Amazon.

Redlambs

Halo online will run at 120hz, but they haven’t announced at what resolution. It’s definitely not going to be 4k in my opinion.
I think that too. Even then, you can see in the trailer there's concessions made with the graphics already.

People are putting too much stock in hoping for real 4K this gen. As I've repeatedly said (but I do obviously understand why console only guys don't get it...yet) the real improvements this gen will be proper frame rates. Though I still expect OMG SHINEY @30fps to grab the attention still :lol:

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Yeah I figured it seems unlikely, considering how powerful a pc would probably need to be to do that.

Redlambs

Sorry I meant switch rather than splitter. Essentially changing lanes to simplify things (see reply to Bojan). I don't to want to get a new TV to enjoy 120Hz or whatever then my set up be all out of whack. I guess a 4k 120Hz switch might be out by then though. Or at least 4k at more than 30, which is all that seems to be available on Amazon.
Same answer, if you must go with a switch then it has to be a really decent one, you can't go cheap. Even then HDMI can be fickle, trying to get 4k @120hz is going to be even more so.

For now, I'd suggest sticking with your 60hz tv and worry about that in the the future if any games actually take full advantage of 120hz.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Same answer, if you must go with a switch then it has to be a really decent one, you can't go cheap. Even then HDMI can be fickle, trying to get 4k @120hz is going to be even more so.

For now, I'd suggest sticking with your 60hz tv and worry about that in the the future if any games actually take full advantage of 120hz.
Yeah, I'll just have to go with what suits my set up now. Any recommendations? Amazon only has cheapo ones.
Are you thinking a cheap one could introduce a delay? What about the powered switches?

hubbuh

I’m glad the pads will still work on the new consoles. Hate paying 60 odd quid a pop for new pads.

Bojan11

I see @esmufc07 hasn’t rushed to post this as he loves his old rumours.

Apparently PS5 struggles with 4K games and expect a lot of fake 4K. Jeff Grubb has also said the same thing.

What the hell is fake 4k @Redlambs?