PSG | 2018-19 Club Thread | Season over

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
In my opinion, the problem for PSG is that they are so dominant in their league. Surely it's easy to get complacent under those circumstances? I just don't think you can turn that competitive spirit on and off.

Their manager will need to find a way to keep them focused when they get to the CL games.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
That for me was so disrespectful & arrogant. When I saw that I just hoped our players would see that & dig in like never before
They got a kick right in the nuts in the end. Conceding that penalty was such a "feck you PSG" from karma.

VJ1762

As if they didn't celebrate when they beat us 2-0 in the first leg.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
It's very hard to argue with that logic.
Not too sure about that. Could be argued that they are in it for the challenge of completing their ‘project’.

Anyway, feck them. Hopefully PSG and City never get to buy the Champions League.

Suedesi

WC 1950 Brazil: major trauma (Brazil leads 1-0 at home but lost 1-2 against Uruguay late in the match) >>>>> "Phantom of '50"
WC 1954: nothing special
WC 1958: Brazil World Champions

1994 WC: France isn't qualified and experienced a major trauma 17th November 1993 (France leads 1-0 at home but lost 1-2 against Bulgaria late in the match) >>>>> L'Humiliation Nationale
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2012/nov/16/from-vault-ginola-houllier-france-feud

1996 Euro: nothing special
1998 WC: France World Champions

2005 Milan: trauma (Milan leads 3-0 but lost the final against Liverpool late in the match) >>>>> Miracle of Istanbul
2006: nothing special
2007: Milan won the Champions League

1999: Bayern 1-2 United ---- You know the story

2001 Bayern 1-1 Valencia --- Bayern wins

2017 PSG: trauma (against Barcelona) >>>>> La Remontada
2018 PSG: nothing special
2019 PSG wins the Champions League.
nah

Tony Clifton

Safet Susic would never have allowed this.
I actually sort of miss the PSG of those days, and a bit later during the '90s and early '00s too, when Ronaldinho was at the club for a couple of seasons. Actually, even the PSG of more recent times, or any PSG before the huge investments really, so until circa 2011-2012, basically.

Before that, a bit similar to AS Roma or SS Lazio, in context, PSG was the club with great and passionate support in one of Europe's metropoles and capital cities, despite its lack of success; the club that didn't quite get there; the club with only the potential or dream of "becoming something more"… and instead getting hammered 29 over two legs in the 1996 UEFA Super Cup.

I found that PSG charming. Their past failures and limited successes were a lot more romantic than their current successes and/or failures look to ever be.

Perhaps some dreams should remain just that—dreams.

Last edited:

Can23

Supports
Liverpool
Couldn't help but smile when they went out, even though it meant you guys went through. Just the obscene amounts they've paid for players to basically try and buy a UCL .

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
I think the issue at PSG is that the entire club believes its own hype - they've self-anointed as a giant/super club and have promoted themselves as such whilst having done absolutely nothing on the pitch to corroborate that. There is no humility or feeling of chip on the shoulder; they don't act like an aggrieved club looking to prove a point - they think, and more importantly, act like they are a Real Madrid or Barcelona at the height of their powers rather than a club who've not even gotten to the semi-finals of the CL despite spending over a billion pounds since the new owners came in.

I thought Rio's tour around the club and piece for BT Sport was revealing in that it showed a unit basking in being PSG and having the time of their lives in the city or with the fashion lines, or any other distraction that means squat on the pitch.

In terms of tangible substance, PSG still have no footballing identity and are more defined by these embarrassing defeats to clubs who are what they aspire to be. The only label PSG are earning is that of perennial failures in competition against sides who can fight back.

Stranger still, it is a squad dotted with World Cup winners and runners-up (Buffon, Draxler, Mbappe, Di Maria [runner up]), Champions League winners (Dani Alves, Di Maria, Neymar), players who should know what it is and what it takes to get to the very top - players who were star components of the sides who won the aforementioned trophies, and yet, we see those same players lulling into the hype machine they've joined and being complicit in keeping the side in a lower tier than they should be at for all the money spent. Dani Alves, the multiple Champions League winning veteran, is the player doing keepy uppies and not at all focused on the task at hand - imagine him doing that in the ultra serious environment of those Barcelona CL winning sides midway through a tie that's not close to being over!

Until PSG as a club feel genuine hurt and humiliation to the point it focuses the collective, there's no reason not to think these knockouts that make a mockery of the expenditure won't keep happening. It's not a managerial issue, not even a personnel issue it's taking in an energy and core outlook that you have no right to have until you're a multiple CL winner.

It feels to me like PSG could constantly switch managers in and out, but the mixed messages of what the club stand for is always going to cause a problem - you cannot bathe your squad in external adornments or pander to them in a way that makes you look simply grateful to have them there - that's a cornerstone for unprofessionalism and minds that are not as focused as those of their opponents who are not privy to such pampered conditions nor told they are amazing at every turn simply for signing on the dotted line. If PSG want to be a giant, they should look at how the giants do it and mirror that instead of trying to be both friend and disciplinarian at the same time, stop rewarding failure and take on every CL KO game as if their lives depend on it.

Further to that pandering to players, it's not a club where top players have to worry about consequence or being ousted from the first xi due to competition for their place, this needs to change and you'd see the level of professionalism increase immediately.

It's not a surprise Cavani is a (the) fan favourite as he is the embodiment of the qualities you need in a team who are chasing the most elusive club trophy in Europe. His attitude across a few more in that team and you'd have a whole different problem facing off against PSG.

SER19

Was talking to a Lille fan who supported them as they were French! It happens here in Ireland too where I’d support the best irish club teams in Europe but in the truly big leagues I’d imagine most fans would hope their domestic rivals lose in Europe!
Wow I just assumed that given they have utterly destroyed Ligue 1 as a competition, they’d be vilified.

SER19

I think that’s a realistic strategy for PSG. Buy the best player of any team that dares to beat them in CL. Next level fear factor.
Nonsense, we’d never sell them McTominay

Kapardin

As if they didn't celebrate when they beat us 2-0 in the first leg.

I assume (know) he's never experienced the high of a champions league win and qualification against all odds before. If us fans were screaming our lungs out when Rashford's goal went in, imagine how the players would have felt at that moment.

Was amusing to see French players and ex players (Evra, Cantona, Pogba, Martial) as well as a number of French MUFC fans in Paris celebrate our win against their city's club though.

Patrick08

Complete lack of game management in high profile games:lol:. That only comes with experience and passion not with spending obscene amounts on attacking players and believing in your own hype.

Vanya

I think the issue at PSG is that the entire club believes its own hype - they've self-anointed as a giant/super club and have promoted themselves as such whilst having done absolutely nothing on the pitch to corroborate that. There is no humility or feeling of chip on the shoulder; they don't act like an aggrieved club looking to prove a point - they think, and more importantly, act like they are a Real Madrid or Barcelona at the height of their powers rather than a club who've not even gotten to the semi-finals of the CL despite spending over a billion pounds since the new owners came in.

I thought Rio's tour around the club and piece for BT Sport was revealing in that it showed a unit basking in being PSG and having the time of their lives in the city or with the fashion lines, or any other distraction that means squat on the pitch.

In terms of tangible substance, PSG still have no footballing identity and are more defined by these embarrassing defeats to clubs who are what they aspire to be. The only label PSG are earning is that of perennial failures in competition against sides who can fight back.

Stranger still, it is a squad dotted with World Cup winners and runners-up (Buffon, Draxler, Mbappe, Di Maria [runner up]), Champions League winners (Dani Alves, Di Maria, Neymar), players who should know what it is and what it takes to get to the very top - players who were star components of the sides who won the aforementioned trophies, and yet, we see those same players lulling into the hype machine they've joined and being complicit in keeping the side in a lower tier than they should be at for all the money spent. Dani Alves, the multiple Champions League winning veteran, is the player doing keepy uppies and not at all focused on the task at hand - imagine him doing that in the ultra serious environment of those Barcelona CL winning sides midway through a tie that's not close to being over!

Until PSG as a club feel genuine hurt and humiliation to the point it focuses the collective, there's no reason not to think these knockouts that make a mockery of the expenditure won't keep happening. It's not a managerial issue, not even a personnel issue it's taking in an energy and core outlook that you have no right to have until you're a multiple CL winner.

It feels to me like PSG could constantly switch managers in and out, but the mixed messages of what the club stand for is always going to cause a problem - you cannot bathe your squad in external adornments or pander to them in a way that makes you look simply grateful to have them there - that's a cornerstone for unprofessionalism and minds that are not as focused as those of their opponents who are not privy to such pampered conditions nor told they are amazing at every turn simply for signing on the dotted line. If PSG want to be a giant, they should look at how the giants do it and mirror that instead of trying to be both friend and disciplinarian at the same time, stop rewarding failure and take on every CL KO game as if their lives depend on it.

Further to that pandering to players, it's not a club where top players have to worry about consequence or being ousted from the first xi due to competition for their place, this needs to change and you'd see the level of professionalism increase immediately.

It's not a surprise Cavani is a (the) fan favourite as he is the embodiment of the qualities you need in a team who are chasing the most elusive club trophy in Europe. His attitude across a few more in that team and you'd have a whole different problem facing off against PSG.
Good post.

Red4Ever

Cork; home of Cantwell, Irwin, Keane and Vidic-wel

Top class

Giggsyking

A nothing club, and will always be, I said it before the away game, after the away game and I will continue to say it. Go back to your farmers league.

Trizy

Di Maria has done the job
Kylian isolated
Draxler: second-class player
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Attack: we miss the killer instinct of Neymar and Cavani
Midfield: Verratti is the pure midfielder
Defensive unit including:
- Buffon who gives a goal
- Kehrer the same (Dani Alves did the same mistake against Real last season)
- Dani Alves is 35

They would be fine excuses if you weren't playing our B Team.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout

I was listening to Julien Laurens on a podcast yesterday and he was taking about how, since the Qatari's have come in, they've basically erased/don't acknowledge the past before them - and thus makes the club feel like it's one without any history. They don't really welcome back their old great players to games, and thus it doesn't build any heritage within the team.

Dunno how much of it is true, but as Laurens is a fan, it's probably more true then not... but yeah, thought that was interesting.

The No.10!

This is by and far one of the best posts at the Caf for a while!

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I was listening to Julien Laurens on a podcast yesterday and he was taking about how, since the Qatari's have come in, they've basically erased/don't acknowledge the past before them - and thus makes the club feel like it's one without any history. They don't really welcome back their old great players to games, and thus it doesn't build any heritage within the team.

Dunno how much of it is true, but as Laurens is a fan, it's probably more true then not... but yeah, thought that was interesting.
For me that's totally true and one of the reason why I lost a lot of affection for this club. I used to like them, they were beautiful losers with great fans who would support the club no matter what, which isn't a given. Now it's a PR machine for a small country that has little respect for the club history and doesn't understand that as long as they don't rebuild a club mentality, they will have these embarrassing moments.

From a football standpoint, it's a team without leaders and I'm talking about leaders that actually care about the story that they are writing. If they had any sense, they would focus on fixing the mentality of their team.

FootyCrew

Was talking to a Lille fan who supported them as they were French! It happens here in Ireland too where I’d support the best irish club teams in Europe but in the truly big leagues I’d imagine most fans would hope their domestic rivals lose in Europe!
I highly doubt Marseille and Lyon fans would cheer for PSG.

Lille is a smaller team, so its obvious they don't care too much about PSG doing well internationally.

Last edited by a moderator:

NYAS

Al Khelaifi doesn't rule Qatar, he isn't Al Thani.
Hey give him a break. At least he can differentiate between Qatari and Saudi/UAE which is an ability lost on most of the other idiots on here ;)

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
For me that's totally true and one of the reason why I lost a lot of affection for this club. I used to like them, they were beautiful losers with great fans who would support the club no matter what, which isn't a given. Now it's a PR machine for a small country that has little respect for the club history and doesn't understand that as long as they don't rebuild a club mentality, they will have these embarrassing moments.

From a football standpoint, it's a team without leaders and I'm talking about leaders that actually care about the story that they are writing. If they had any sense, they would focus on fixing the mentality of their team.
I find that interesting - what is PSG's current mentality? What do they stand for as a club? It's hard to say...

On the ex-player thing, I mean we had so many ex-players around the stadium/on twitter etc... and if it was Liverpool or Juve or someone i'm sure you'd have something similar... but if it was the other way round, would PSG have a ton of ex players in OT? I'm not sure.