PSG | 2018-19 Club Thread | Season over

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
The weight of history is important whether you like it or not, that's a huge source of standards. As for the late 90s and 2000s, you are just being ridiculous, these players weren't good players in the first place, the owners didn't invest in the club and brought genuinely poor players and you know it perfectly, I mean we are talking about the likes of Albert Baning and Pancrate.
Of course, the weight of history is important.

I mean that PSG lost this week because Pancrate and Baning played for PSG fifteen years ago.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
I was listening to Julien Laurens on a podcast yesterday and he was taking about how, since the Qatari's have come in, they've basically erased/don't acknowledge the past before them - and thus makes the club feel like it's one without any history. They don't really welcome back their old great players to games, and thus it doesn't build any heritage within the team.

Dunno how much of it is true, but as Laurens is a fan, it's probably more true then not... but yeah, thought that was interesting.
And without the burdens of the past and the expectations of past greats or those who achieved before the windfall, there is no barometer and no essence of self - just an aimless set of superstars being treated like kings on a wage that states the club is just happy to have them. It's easy for this to become a loop if the club do not acknowledge that a club needs these core values. Their whole approach is that of a horse that has bolted from the stable - no foundations before acting like winners, winners who nobody else has acknowledged as such.

For me that's totally true and one of the reason why I lost a lot of affection for this club. I used to like them, they were beautiful losers with great fans who would support the club no matter what, which isn't a given. Now it's a PR machine for a small country that has little respect for the club history and doesn't understand that as long as they don't rebuild a club mentality, they will have these embarrassing moments.

From a football standpoint, it's a team without leaders and I'm talking about leaders that actually care about the story that they are writing. If they had any sense, they would focus on fixing the mentality of their team.
The crazy thing is when you look at what those players have won and how they've acted before getting to PSG, you know something isn't right. I didn't know any of this before writing my post, but it's easy to see how that is impacting, or the whys, for what we see from them now that it has been brought to light.

I like your contributions and involvement on RedCafe but - I'm sorry to say that - this post is total bullshit from A to Z.

If we replay the 2nd leg 100 times with the same 22 players, you lose it 95 times. The 3 goals you scored are just a joke and you struggled to make some consecutive passes. Kehrer made a stupid mistake because he is young and inexperienced, not because he thinks he is the new Thuram... Buffon made a mistake because he is unprofessional?

That said, it's obvious the mindset of some players is not adequate when it comes to handle pressure and manage a positive result in Champions League... nothing to do with "professionalism". The team is not used to maintain/preserve a result because we have no opposition, no domestic challengers. While the humility of the whole team was bad during the 2nd leg against Barcelona, it was not the case this week.

Our squad is fantastic at all levels and - like Chelsea - we will make it at the European level: no doubts about it. We have the perfect coach and we just need some adjustments in the defensive section. I think we need to introduce more grinta in our team: 1-2 players with the mindset of players like Godin, Materrazzi, Paolo Montero, Di Livio...

Congrats once again but the storytelling you propose - generally developed by journalists who have to sell their paper or expertise - is ridiculous and is also a great display of arrogance, ignorance and imagination.
I think your post is the riposte of an emotional fan who feels as though his club is being insulted or being given a character assassination.

If you note, I didn't mention the game other than to mention the Alves keepy-uppys; I think the fact you are should bring home how poor what you players delivered was - pointing out that you should win against our mish-mash of players, playing their hearts out in a way yours should have been, only strengthens my point. I think the swagger and casual attitude and the feeling your collective had that this second game was going to be a stroll is what kills your reasoning, because it wasn't about personnel it was about the assumption your players had that the tie was over and the second leg was a formality. Your argument is more that this wouldn't be the case in the gazillion out of gazillion replays proposed, but, PSG have form for it that says otherwise, so no, I don't think you're being accurate with your notion you do this, that and the other to us in another game because the two teams would go out with the exact same attitudes they had and our mish-mash of a side would come to the table utterly determined to do their best whilst yours would not. The only way this isn't the case is if, somehow, those players processed the tie wasn't won before the second leg kicked off.

I have no particular interest in PSG to be doing them down or feeding into a narrative passed on to me by the press or whatever - the games against you, the tour of the club we got to see and the general energy given off from that tells a lot.

You mention you're like Chelsea, but you are nothing like them in that they were indoctrinated with an absolute chip on their shoulder that drove them on like a club possessed - they burst out of the traps and went to war with every superpower of their era. It took no time at all for everyone to see they were a serious squad, hellbent on success all of which was led on the pitch by Terry who was draped in the history of the club and cared about it and its success beyond anything else. In comparison to that, your team is currently a husk; a bunch of names and no substance.

I guess you'll see this response as another attack on your club, but I am just calling a spade a spade - from my perspective, you've got a hell of a lot of work to do at the foundation level before you can move forward and beyond rounds of 16 and quarters of the CL.

For me, they are a marketing tool for Qatar, they could have a lot of old players around, players that have actually played against the best on a regular basis, between 1992 and 1997 PSG reached at least the semi finals of the UEFA cup, CL or the cup winners cup but because Qatar wants to pretend that they created PSG, I feel that the players have no respect for the club that they are playing for, they are in it just for money, not for fame or legacy.

Current PSG players don't compare themselves to the likes of Weah, Leonardo, Valdo, Susic, Rocheteau, Ginola, Fernandez, Lama or Rai. I'm not sure if they know them and I'm pretty sure that they don't care.
That's the impression I get, too, that they've just announced themselves as a superclub because they say so and not because they've earned it and then expect everyone else to acknowledge them as such - they seem to have no understanding of why the actual superclubs in football are seen that way and what they've done in the sport to get there.

Djemba-Djemba

If Kimpembe was sent off in the first leg as he should have been he would have been suspended and so not on the pitch to give away the last minute penalty.

So it all worked out in the end.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Of course, the weight of history is important.

I mean that PSG lost this week because Pancrate and Baning played for PSG fifteen years ago.
Where did I suggest the first sentence? I simply said that I don't believe that this club has the right mentality and that the Qatari are part of the issue, the same is true for Colony Capital and Canal Plus at the end of their ownership.

My opinion is simple, PSG currently have very good players and it's a very good team but they don't act as if they were at a big club or at a club worth their full dedication, to me one of the reason is that they don't look back at the history of the club and don't try to be worthy of it, they also don't really care about writing history. These things are in my opinion important when it comes to CL football and facing historical and wealthy clubs, you need that extra, that edge.

I would tell you the same thing about City and Chelsea, City don't actually sublime themselves on the biggest stage and Chelsea needed a long time to actually do it and it didn't last.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
And without the burdens of the past and the expectations of past greats or those who achieved before the windfall, there is no barometer and no essence of self - just an aimless set of superstars being treated like kings on a wage that states the club is just happy to have them. It's easy for this to become a loop if the club do not acknowledge that a club needs these core values. Their whole approach is that of a horse that has bolted from the stable - no foundations before acting like winners, winners who nobody else has acknowledged as such.

The crazy thing is when you look at what those players have won and how they've acted before getting to PSG, you know something isn't right. I didn't know any of this before writing my post, but it's easy to see how that is impacting, or the whys, for what we see from them now that it has been brought to light.

I think your post is the riposte of an emotional fan who feels as though his club is being insulted or being given a character assassination.

If you note, I didn't mention the game other than to mention the Alves keepy-uppys; I think the fact you are should bring home how poor what you players delivered was - pointing out that you should win against our mish-mash of players, playing their hearts out in a way yours should have been, only strengthens my point. I think the swagger and casual attitude and the feeling your collective had that this second game was going to be a stroll is what kills your reasoning, because it wasn't about personnel it was about the assumption your players had that the tie was over and the second leg was a formality. Your argument is more that this wouldn't be the case in the gazillion out of gazillion replays proposed, but, PSG have form for it that says otherwise, so no, I don't think you're being accurate with your notion you do this, that and the other to us in another game because the two teams would go out with the exact same attitudes they had and our mish-mash of a side would come to the table utterly determined to do their best whilst yours would not. The only way this isn't the case is if, somehow, those players processed the tie wasn't won before the second leg kicked off.

I have no particular interest in PSG to be doing them down or feeding into a narrative passed on to me by the press or whatever - the games against you, the tour of the club we got to see and the general energy given off from that tells a lot.

You mention you're like Chelsea, but you are nothing like them in that they were indoctrinated with an absolute chip on their shoulder that drove them on like a club possessed - they burst out of the traps and went to war with every superpower of their era. It took no time at all for everyone to see they were a serious squad, hellbent on success all of which was led on the pitch by Terry who was draped in the history of the club and cared about it and its success beyond anything else. In comparison to that, your team is currently a husk; a bunch of names and no substance.

I guess you'll see this response as another attack on your club, but I am just calling a spade a spade - from my perspective, you've got a hell of a lot of work to do at the foundation level before you can move forward and beyond rounds of 16 and quarters of the CL.

That's the impression I get, too, that they've just announced themselves as a superclub because they say so and not because they've earned it and then expect everyone else to acknowledge them as such - they seem to have no understanding of why the actual superclubs in football are seen that way and what they've done in the sport to get there.
I don't feel attacked and your point of view is largely shared here so I'm not surprised either.

I mentioned Chelsea in the sense it took time for their new whareholders to win the Champions League... Let's agree to disagree with the fact PSG is close to make it: some minor adjustments (2-3 players with a defensive focus) maybe but if all of our key players are fit then nobody can stop us.

I am not of those who analyze Football from a marketing perspective. For example, I have a great respect for the football player Neymar despite his World Cup while most of you are just interested in checking his instagram/facebook/Twitter profile or his ads/tax fraud story. I also don't think the results of PSG are explained by the PR director's business plan or the CV of the marketing managing director.

The performance of a team is delivered by a squad of 14-20 players trained by a staff.

Quality, fitness and tactical/mental preparation are the 3 most important key factors.

All the rest is bullshit.

Last edited:

Yagami

Good post resistant
So what did 222m on Neymar get them? They could have spread that 222m out over 3 signings bolstering their first XI and making it more balanced.
To be fair, if we had signed him, I wouldn't care about the price because seeing a player as good as him (assuming he didn't pull a di Maria and half ass it) live at Old Trafford week in, week out, would've been worth it for me personally. He's so fun to watch.

I don't think you can underestimate the importance of having a player like that in the team does for the crowd. It gets them off their feet whenever they touch the ball and it just helps the atmosphere. It was like that with Giggs in his prime for us.

If I was a PSG fan, I'd be disappointed in him missing important games, but I wouldn't have been disappointed in the signing itself. I'd be enjoying having such a great player playing for us, and seeing him live in person!

meamth

I think the farmer's league really affected their performance.

Sitting too comfortable on the throne without having to perform like a mad man every week made them too confident.

When they need to raise the game, they have forgotten that feeling.

Bless that farmer's league.

JPRouve

Scout

Sitting too comfortable on the throne without having to perform like a mad man every week made them too confident.

While Arsenal get schooled by a midtable team from the same league.

Kaos

Whoever questioned the mentality of top players moving to PSG is spot on. It’s essentially an early retirement destination for superstars or those with massive egos who want an easy ride to domestic silverware. Not surprised the likes of Neymar and Di Maria are there.

Verratti and Mbappé are honestly wasted there.

tomaldinho1

I don't feel attacked and your point of view is largely shared here so I'm not surprised either.

I mentioned Chelsea in the sense it took time for their new whareholders to win the Champions League... Let's agree to disagree with the fact PSG is close to make it: some minor adjustments (2-3 players with a defensive focus) maybe but if all of our key players are fit then nobody can stop us.

I am not of those who analyze Football from a marketing perspective. For example, I have a great respect for the football player Neymar despite his World Cup while most of you are just interested in checking his instagram/facebook/Twitter profile or his ads/tax fraud story. I also don't think the results of PSG are explained by the PR director's business plan or the CV of the marketing managing director.

The performance of a team is delivered by a squad of 14-20 players trained by a staff.

Quality, fitness and tactical/mental preparation are the 3 most important key factors.

All the rest is bullshit.
I think his point is more that that's the impression PSG give off, not that we all go away and analyse players through social media. It also doesn't help the club's image that Ligue 1 is considered by most to be far weaker and therefore has much less coverage than the PL, La Liga even the Bundesliga or Serie A. Therefore, the only time most of the non Ligue 1 football fans around the world see, for example, Neymar is in commercials or on social media and rarely on the pitch - realistically who tunes into PSG vs Rennes or watches the Coupe de France unless you support one of the teams? The direct result of this is we associate PSG with being an underachieving CL team and a big marketing machine.

johanovic

Now it would be nice to see UEFA looking into both City and PSG as it´s clear there is something dodgy going on at both clubs as stated by Spiegel. PSG being able to buy Neymar and co in a French ligue is just not right and it seems City are in trouble also.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Farmers get a bad rap on here. They're good honest folk.

Farmers, donkeys, Mickey Mouse. All terms used for derogatory reasons yet they're all great!

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG

This week, the challenge was not to raise the game but to manage a positive result following the 1st leg.

You're right in the sense that the team never suffers at the domestic level: the team never will never "We would be happy to defend and get a draw. Or we are happy with the draw". The spirit is always to score 3 goals per game at least.

It's not by accident if after beating 4-0 Barcelona, we lost there 1-6 two years ago.

PSG has to recruit world-class psychologists :D

Last edited:

hellohello

Supports
Tottenham
PSG lost the game because of two schoolboy error and a unfortunate penalty. United didn't really threaten much outside of those three occasions.

Taking this result as a proof that United is a better team than PSG and therefore the French league is shit is a bit much.

Johan07

I sincerely dont think that PSG will ever win the CL until Ligue 1´s general quality is raised. And quite a bit as well.
PSG´s only competative competition every year is the CL, and I just dont think you can win that if you are not challenged at all in your national league. It leads to laziness and the entitlement that was obvious against United when they were losing.
Like spoiled brats. Im surprised that Marquinhos pathetic effort to cheat in the penalty area at the end has not been highlighted more.
Somehow I think PSG would have a better chance to actually win the CL if they did not buy the Neymars of the world and focused on young French players and actually had to fight for the league a ltb every year instead of the current status.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
PSG lost the game because of two schoolboy error and a unfortunate penalty. United didn't really threaten much outside of those three occasions.

Taking this result as a proof that United is a better team than PSG and therefore the French league is shit is a bit much.
No it's a good way of identifying simpletons who believe such nonsense.

RedCurry

No one saying that United is better than PSG or French league.

We're saying that United's reserve team is better than PSG and the French league.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
I think his point is more that that's the impression PSG give off, not that we all go away and analyse players through social media. It also doesn't help the club's image that Ligue 1 is considered by most to be far weaker and therefore has much less coverage than the PL, La Liga even the Bundesliga or Serie A. Therefore, the only time most of the non Ligue 1 football fans around the world see, for example, Neymar is in commercials or on social media and rarely on the pitch - realistically who tunes into PSG vs Rennes or watches the Coupe de France unless you support one of the teams? The direct result of this is we associate PSG with being an underachieving CL team and a big marketing machine.
Very good point and I'm aware of that. And the fact that the club is owned by Arabs doesn't help.

From an historical perspective, PSG reached 5 consecutive times the semi-final of a European competition in the 1990s.

In the last 7 years, PSG reached the QF 3 times: kicked out by Barcelona 3 times, Real Madrid 1 time, City/United/Chelsea 1 time each.

QF: 2-2 at home against Barcelona and 1-1 there >>> we were leading 1-0 at Nou Camp...not far away from a great performance

QF: we won 3-1 at home against Chelsea and lost 0-2 there >>> the team unable to manage a positive result

Last 16: destroyed by Barcelona, but Neymar/Suarez/Messi was unplayable. >>> Barcelona stronger

QF: 2-2 at home against a weak City and we lost there 1-0: the team lacked freshness, inspiration for several reasons.>>> Depressing

Last 16: PSG wins 4-0 at home against Barcelona but lost 6-1 away >>> the team unable to manage a positive result

Last 16: I blame the coach for the starting 11 in the 1st leg against Real Madrid, Neymar injured between the 1st and 2nd leg >>> bad preparation (Lo Celso playing as a #6 for the 1st time of the season at Santiago Bernabeu)

Everybody can laugh at PSG but the club will be rewarded sooner or later. :angel:

Bojan11

No it's a good way of identifying simpletons who believe such nonsense.
Eh?

It helps when you got competition.

It helped Bayern when Dortmund were a real force under Klopp. They reached two champions league finals. When Dortmund dropped off the league was over early and they didn’t really have much intensity in the final half of the season.

Without Wenger pushing us, I don’t think we win the treble in 1999. They pushed us to be better. Same with Chelsea in 08.

You need teams in your league to push you. Winning it by 20 or whatever points is not really great. I’m not knocking the other teams, but they simple can’t compete.

JPRouve

Scout
Eh?

It helped Bayern when Dortmund were a real force under Klopp. They reached two champions league finals. When Dortmund dropped off the league was over early and they didn’t really have much intensity in the final half of the season.

Without Wenger pushing us, I don’t think we win the treble in 1999. They pushed us to be better. Same with Chelsea in 08.

You need teams in your league to push you. Winning it by 20 or whatever points is not really great. I’m not knocking the other teams, but they simple can’t compete.
The only issue with this is that PSG generally win with the same type of advance than the one you see in PL, basically between 7 and 13 points at the exception of one season. It's difficult to build a theory on that other than PSG are bottlers and have no excuse, particularly when you consider the fact that their last remontada was during a season where Monaco was pushing them.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Eh?

It says a lot that you have to go back to 2013. Who was pushing Real to 4 CL titles? No one, they were left behind in the league by Barcelona. Ditto for Chelsea. I don't think there is a strong link between winning European trophies and being "pushed" by domestic competition.

Bojan11

The only issue with this is that PSG generally win with the same type of advance than the one you see in PL, basically between 7 and 13 points at the exception of one season. It's difficult to build a theory on that other than PSG are bottlers and have no excuse, particularly when you consider the fact that their last remontada was during a season where Monaco was pushing them.
Yeah, but premier league teams haven’t set the champions league on fire since the original big four days between 2004-2011. Chelsea fluked their way to victory and Liverpool last year reached the final. But none of the English clubs you could say before the tournament begins are favourites to win it. Only City have changed that in the last year. But especially between 2004-2009 you could say all four of the English clubs have a chance of winning it.

All I’m saying is PSG need competition in their own league. The prem has been one sided in the last 4 years or so. But there’s not a big financial gap due to the TV money like there is in France. Yes, most of the clubs can’t compete with City. But the money spent in England is absurd. You got teams like Everton making £50m signings. None of the other 19 teams in France can do that.

Bojan11

It says a lot that you have to go back to 2013. Who was pushing Real to 4 CL titles? No one, they were left behind in the league by Barcelona. Ditto for Chelsea. I don't think there is a strong link between winning European trophies and being "pushed" by domestic competition.
Eh.

Real will always have Barca and Atletico at times. Also I would check your facts again. Real got left aside last season. In 16/17 they won it by 3 points. In 15/16 they lost it by 1 point. Barca won the league by 2 points and won the European cup in 14/15. You really proving my point. Atlético won the league in 13/14 by 3 points. Lost the final to Madrid who finished behind them in the league by 3 points. Barca under Pep in 10/11 won the league by four points and won the European cup.

Chelsea fluked their way to victory and were chasing fourth spot at the time.

So no I’m not going as far back as 2013.

JPRouve

Scout
Yeah, but premier league teams haven’t set the champions league on fire since the original big four days between 2004-2011. Chelsea fluked their way to victory and Liverpool last year reached the final. But none of the English clubs you could say before the tournament begins are favourites to win it. Only City have changed that in the last year. But especially between 2004-2009 you could say all four of the English clubs have a chance of winning it.

All I’m saying is PSG need competition in their own league. The prem has been one sided in the last 4 years or so. But there’s not a big financial gap due to the TV money like there is in France. Yes, most of the clubs can’t compete with City. But the money spent in England is absurd. You got teams like Everton making £50m signings. None of the other 19 teams in France can do that.
But that's a bad excuse for PSG, they haven't even done what Liverpool or Monaco did in the last two CL campaigns, while more competition is always welcome their failures have nothing to do with it. Also the other poster point was simply to call Ligue 1 shit, it had nothing to do with your point who is actually sensible.

Finally, Ligue1 teams don't need to spend 50m on average players, they produce the players that are then sold for that fee, we could argue that they need the money to not sell them though.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal

What is the purpose of that? Yes they are a superclub on a country where they produce some of the best players on the world which enrich other top European Leagues. One of them is the Premier League.

Kanon

Of course, they don't care about history and the past: they want to make history for better and for worst!

Cristiano Ronaldo didn't join Juventus because Paulo Sousa played there or because Omar Sivori won a Ballon d'Or there: he has just joined one of the most ambitious European clubs.

I prefer foreign players who are professional/ambitious instead of French players who don't respect the club by being inconsistent in terms of performances and professionalism.

We can glorify the past if you want but - for example - Pauleta (3rd greatest scorer: 109 goals) doesn't practice the same sport of Cavani (192 goals) / Zlatan (156 goals).

The current players have shown more respect to the club than PSG players in the late 90s and 2000s

And that's where you're wrong.

I agree with you when you say that PSG have a good history with great players and a lot of fans.

But look at Wednesday no former players showed up (Rai, Ginola, Pauleta, ...) unlike Manchester.

Instead there was fecking Cyril Hanouna and others (like the twitch guy).

I strongly disagree with you with 2 things:

1) Regarding Pauleta you forget one thing : look at the players surrounding him and compare them to those with Zlatan and Cavani that's night and day.

2) I think lots of former players have more respect for PSG than every players at the club since Qatari took over (maybe Matuidi)

Last edited by a moderator:

FootyCrew

What is the purpose of that? Yes they are a superclub on a country where they produce some of the best players on the world which enrich other top European Leagues. One of them is the Premier League.
Exactly.

Seems like some people forget that if french teams would have been able to retain their players, there wouldn't be any Platini in Juventus,Zidane in Juventus,Henry in Arsenal,Eric Cantona in Manchester United, Pires in Arsenal,Vieira in Arsenal, Makelelé in Real Madrid-Chelsea,Desailly in Milan,etc

If anything, i am really grateful french teams couldn,'t afford to retain their players, therefore i was able to watch them in Serie A,Premier League or La Liga.

I have the feeling that if french teams had a lot of money to buy top foreign players, they would stop producing top talent , like exactly what happened in England.
Once the money started to flow in Premier League , England literally didn't produce any single top talent.

Suedesi

I think PSG have gathered a bunch of mercenaries who are just collecting a paycheck and are not of the required.

Someone mentioned Buffon, everybody in Italy knows that if he's up to the required he would not be released by Juve to be replaced by Szczęsny ffs. Buffon is clearly past it, and I've read at various Italian sources that he had financial difficulties (gambling debts / failed business ventures) so needs to collect a paycheck money. In other circumstances he would have retired years ago.

Take Dani Alves. Can't get more mercenary than that. He's just collecting a paycheck and is clearly past it. Do you think Barca would release a prime Dani Alves on a free. Do you think Juve would have rescinded his contract after a year if he still was up to the required standard? Just look at his attitude during the Man Utd return match - he get tackled by Pereira in the first minutes - it wasn't a bad tackle or anything, but Dani got so irate and started shoving as if to say "you don't tackle a legend of the game like me in an exhibition game". Well feck you Dani, you're a has been and this is a CL tie!!!

They need hungrier player who want to prove something - one of their best performers was Juan Bernat, who's not world class by any means, but is a grifter and a hard worker. More of them players will serve PSG well.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
And that's where you're wrong.

I agree with you when you say that PSG have a good history with great players and a lot of fans.

But look at Wednesday no former players showed up (Rai, Ginola, Pauleta, ...) unlike Manchester.

Instead there was fecking Cyril Hanouna and others (like the twitch guy).

I strongly disagree with you with 2 things:

1) Regarding Pauleta you forget one thing : look at the players surrounding him and compare them to those with Zlatan and Cavani that's night and day.

2) I think lots of former players have more respect for PSG than every players at the club since Qatari took over (maybe Matuidi)
First of all, welcome here.

I think there are several forms of respect.

1) Let's take the case of Neymar.

On the one hand, you could argue that he doesn't respect the club/fans by saying "Maybe I will leave, we never know. Everything is possible including joining Madrid...". On the other hand, he is very professional despite appearances and has the killer instinct on the pitch, always trying to make the team score whatever the opposing team. On the pitch or in the training sessions, he respects the club in this way. I do remember players like Okocha and Ronaldinho. I won't say they chose their games but I haven't see a consistent desire to have an impact on the pitch each week and during 90 minutes.

2) The case of Pauleta

I have a great respect for the player and the man. He was surrounded by weak/average players ans is a better player than Choupo-Moting. Pauleta was a top player but Zlatan and Cavani are beasts. Pauleta was much more reliant on his teammates. History will retain Cavani and Zlatan were better scorer but also better football players.

3) PSG before Qatar

Despite having top players and teams in the past, we only 2 times the French league (86/94) so the question is why? My answer is that the players were not ultimate professionals. And a ultimate professional is the greatest mark of respect. Maybe, I'm harsh with previous players but look at Chantôme who unfortunately plays for Red Star now

Lloris, Giroud, Matuidi étaient vos coéquipiers lors de votre seule sélection en Bleu le 12 octobre 2012 (France - Japon, 0-1). Êtes-vous passé à côté d’une tout autre carrière ?

Vivre de regrets n’apporte rien. Je suis lucide et je sais que j’aurais pu faire mieux, plus travailler. J’ai connu beaucoup de champions du monde en Espoirs et suis très content pour eux. Ils ont réalisé des choses magnifiques, c’est beaucoup de sacrifices et peut-être qu’à un moment je n’ai pas su en faire de même…
How is it possible we struggled so much in 07/08 not to be relegated?

4) Former players

We have some former players in the PSG's organization like Camara and Maxwell. Pauleta was a PSG embassador in the past in charge of the detection of Iberia talents in the early 2010s and we saw the result. Leonardo was so great, still gutted he is no longer part of the club.

We don't know if other former PSG players were in the stadium this week, the cameraman will focus on currently newsworthy football personalities.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
I think PSG have gathered a bunch of mercenaries who are just collecting a paycheck and are not of the required.

Someone mentioned Buffon, everybody in Italy knows that if he's up to the required he would not be released by Juve to be replaced by Szczęsny ffs. Buffon is clearly past it, and I've read at various Italian sources that he had financial difficulties (gambling debts / failed business ventures) so needs to collect a paycheck money. In other circumstances he would have retired years ago.

Take Dani Alves. Can't get more mercenary than that. He's just collecting a paycheck and is clearly past it. Do you think Barca would release a prime Dani Alves on a free. Do you think Juve would have rescinded his contract after a year if he still was up to the required standard? Just look at his attitude during the Man Utd return match - he get tackled by Pereira in the first minutes - it wasn't a bad tackle or anything, but Dani got so irate and started shoving as if to say "you don't tackle a legend of the game like me in an exhibition game". Well feck you Dani, you're a has been and this is a CL tie!!!

They need hungrier player who want to prove something - one of their best performers was Juan Bernat, who's not world class by any means, but is a grifter and a hard worker. More of them players will serve PSG well.
A true American obsessed with money :p