PSG and Leipzig - We’ll never get out of the group!

Chief123

This is still on a knife edge and I’ve got a bad feeling the Istanbul is going to sting us.

Very possibly we can lose our remaining two games.

The PSG game is a problem now especially with Tuanzebe picking up a suspension. I’m pretty certain Ole would have loved to have reverted to his counter attacking 352 in this game. But we only have Lindelof and Maguire to play at the back, so unless he chooses to use McTominay as a CB, I think the back 3 is out of the question. That is a major worry with Mbappe and Neymar on the pitch. Tuanzebe was pivotal to the win in Paris.

Going to the Leipzig game needing something is always a huge task. We really could do with Istanbul getting a shock win.

Judas

Open to offers
Still a long way to go. Think it'll be a big backs against the wall job against PSG, but that honestly should suit us. I wouldn't be surprised if we go to Leipzig needed something, but again that game will be setup in a way that plays to our favour.

Rossa

This is still on a knife edge and I’ve got a bad feeling the Istanbul is going to sting us.

The PSG game is a problem now especially with Tuanzebe picking up a suspension. I’m pretty certain Ole would have loved to have reverted to his counter attacking 352 in this game. But we only have Lindelof and Maguire to play at the back, so unless he chooses to use McTominay as a CB, I think the back 3 is out of the question. That is a major worry with Mbappe and Neymar on the pitch. Tuanzebe was pivotal to the win in Paris.

Going to the Leipzig game needing something is always a huge task. We really could do with Istanbul getting a shock win.
Why not play TFM instead of Tuanzebe in the back three? He's even faster than Tuanzebe, and if he can keep his concentration, he will nullify Mbappe - IF he can keep his concentration.

Deery

Dreary
Still not confident of qualifying from this group, two very big games coming up. Paris had a lot of chances first game so expect them to take them this time round, can only see a loss and hopefully a win against Leipzig.

gajender

We should top the group comfortably now, nothing Psg or Leipzig has shown so far suggest that we would be losing to both of them . Some posters are being negative for sake of it

Chief123

We should top the group comfortably now, nothing Psg or Leipzig has shown so far suggest that we would be losing to both of them . Some posters are being negative for sake of it
It’s a bit far fetched to say we should top the group comfortably. Defeat to PSG which is very possible means we probably won’t top the group and possibly not even qualify.

I’m all for optimism but we have to remain realistic too.

gajender

It’s a bit far fetched to say we should top the group comfortably. Defeat to PSG which is very possible means we probably won’t top the group and possibly not even qualify.

We are in control of the group most realistic scenario is we will get the job done and most probably win the group ,what's bit far fetched is your scenario of us missing out completely.

croadyman

Yeah in hindsight as someone mentioned earlier maybe we should have brought on Mengi last night instead of Axel.

Would be absolutely gutting if that shocker of a performance in Istanbul knocks us out of this competition.

cyberman

We have 2 games to get a point. PSG and RBL both have 1 game against us to get a win to qualify. Its only fear that tells us we aren't comfortbale.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
If we can’t get a singular point in the next two matches then we have no business being in the competition anyway. They’re both good sides but they’ve also not been at their best this season, so we should be looking to win the matches imo.

Redfrog

PSG are awfull at the moment. They were outplayed yesterday and were parking the bus all the second half.

All the french experts are terrified at the idea of playing us in 7 days after what they saw yesterday. Their front 2 are in a bad form. Mbappe cannot even play more then 45minutes.

Leipzig will be open as feck so it will play in our end.

So it is really ours to feck up I think.

Saha was on french television last night. When he spoke, he said "us" about United :drool: ... And he was all surrunded by PSG lovers...

Tuchel was very defensive in the interview as well, there is something very wrong about PSG at the moment. Tuchel is at the edge of the sack.

youngrell

Think we'll get a result against PSG so the last game won't matter too much. If not, still fancy our chances against Leipzig, they are a bit impotent.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Think we'll get a result against PSG so the last game won't matter too much. If not, still fancy our chances against Leipzig, they are a bit impotent.
Hope so, no Tuanzebe is a big miss.

I think we will need 352 but unsure how it works without Tuanzebe and Shaw. Wonder how Wan Bissaka is after he hobbled off too.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
We were drawn in the group of death and most said we wouldn't have a chance of getting top 2. And yet here we are top of the group.

Confident we will make it to R16, and its also exciting tension too.

shabz

PSG were defending a lot yesterday against Leipzig and Leipzig were very gun shy and we've shown we can beat them both when we were probably favourites to lose. The group is there for our taking and all we need is a point from the last two, if we can't manage that then maybe we deserve to not qualify.

youngrell

Hope so, no Tuanzebe is a big miss.

I think we will need 352 but unsure how it works without Tuanzebe and Shaw. Wonder how Wan Bissaka is after he hobbled off too.
Might need to look to TFM, which sounds a bit daunting, but if Ole is set on using the 3-5-2 against them again it may be our only option. I wouldn't fancy AWB as the third CB, and not sure McTominay up against Mbappe as our last line would be good either.

Annoying too, as Axel's booking was such a nothing yellow card.

Will be interesting to see what happens.

saivet

It was only for a fairly small portion of the game, but when we switched to the diamond against PSG, it worked well for us and we were able to swing the momentum of the game back into our favour. Not sure I'd want us to play 3 at the back again without Tuanzebe or Shaw who at least have enough pace not be exposed by their forward line.

VivaRonaldo85

The media spin is we're well in control of the group cause they simply see us on top with 9 points. However, we are still in as precarious a position as PSG and Leipzig given they will almost certainly gain the expected 6 points each from Istanbul B. PSG will be all over us next week as they know they need to win the game. It might play into our hands and we can pick them off on the counter but remember how easily they beat us at OT last time. I'm actually more confident about getting a result in Leipzig rather than next week at home to PSG.

Hercules

I'm not sure why people are worried. When the schedule was announced, I thought we'd be on 9 points after 4 games, having lost at PSG but won in Istanbul. This is somewhat better than I expected as even if we lose 1-0 against PSG and win at RBL, we'd top the group.

If we cannot take 1 point from 2 games, we should not be in the competition at all anyways. I think we ll win next week.

Chief123

We are in control of the group most realistic scenario is we will get the job done and most probably win the group ,what's bit far fetched is your scenario of us missing out completely.
I would say you stating us “winning the group comfortably” is more far fetched than me stating we could miss out completely. When we have a strong possibility of needing to go to the last game of the season to get something, the chance of winning the group comfortably has gone with the defeat in Istanbul.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
I would say you stating us “winning the group comfortably” is more far fetched than me stating we could miss out completely. When we have a strong possibility of needing to go to the last game of the season to get something, the chance of winning the group comfortably has gone with the defeat in Istanbul.
Winning the group is more likely than missing out.

The word ‘comfortably’ isn’t necessary, though.

Chief123

We have 2 games to get a point. PSG and RBL both have 1 game against us to get a win to qualify. Its only fear that tells us we aren't comfortbale.
I think the “fear” is warranted though.

We have people here stating we should qualify and even win group comfortably as if we have been convincing and ruthless all season. We’ve no reason to go into any game thinking we are going to win it. We have been far from convincing this season.

The win in Paris seems to have given some people a false sense of security. Despite being a fantastic result, it could very easily have gone the other way. De gea made a few brilliant saves to keep us in the game. PSG had plenty of big chances. Yes we had chances of our own too but that’s because PSG were seeking to take the lead all game because they had not taken their chances.

It’s dangerous territory to think not losing against PSG and Leipzig is a formality. Especially considering some of our results this season.

Chief123

Winning the group is more likely than missing out.

The word ‘comfortably’ isn’t necessary, though.
Yes I agree us qualifying is more likely than not. But my point was in reference to the strange thought that we win the group comfortably. Winning “comfortably” was blown when we screwed up in Istanbul.

Giggsy13

We’re 1 point away from qualifying when we were written off from the start. Job not done but credit to Ole where it’s due.

croadyman

Could Istanbul get a draw against Leipzig because they have been performing better at home than away

Murray3007

would fancy us to win both games, dont think PSG are anything special to be honest, Leipzig much more of a threat with us going to germany addin the way we skelp them at OT, but think we just need a point to qualify so have no doubt we will get that v PSG next week

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
No reason to fear either team, no need to be complacent but we've shown that we're a difficult team to play against. Both PSG and Leipzig will be setup to win the game and that plays into our hands.

tomaldinho1

If we can’t get a singular point in the next two matches then we have no business being in the competition anyway. They’re both good sides but they’ve also not been at their best this season, so we should be looking to win the matches imo.
Precisely. We've done well so far, Istanbul fiasco aside, and the onus is on us. To not qualify from where we are now would be pretty criminal

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
I am confident we will go through. Even if we lose against PSG we will probably get a result against Leipzig.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
We are a better team compared to when we played PSG game. Are they better too?
They must at least be fitter now as well. Also I doubt we will deal that well again with Neymar and Mbappe. But we will have our own chances, too.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
We need to try finish first if not we'll play either Munich, Dortmund, Barca and whoever finishes top of the Gladbach/Madrid/Inter/Shaktar group (which would be our best best).

Second place finishers you're only really wanting to avoid Juve (and potentially whoever comes second in that group above)

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
We need to try finish first if not we'll play either Munich, Dortmund, Barca and whoever finishes top of the Gladbach/Madrid/Inter/Shaktar group (which would be our best best).

Second place finishers you're only really wanting to avoid Juve (and potentially whoever comes second in that group above)
Of the first 3 mentioned we should only be massively worried about Bayern. Barca have been pretty poor this season and Messi is not the same player as previous seasons. Dortmund I think we could do them and don’t see them as having a better team than us.

Jeffthered

All in the balance really. Not sure how it will turn out.... I think we may be ok in RB Leipzeig game, which should be enough. They have had a flashy start to the Bundes'.. but I'm not overly impressed by them. But you never know with us, that's the thing. I don't think they will fear us, that's for sure.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Of the first 3 mentioned we should only be massively worried about Bayern. Barca have been pretty poor this season and Messi is not the same player as previous seasons. Dortmund I think we could do them and don’t see them as having a better team than us.
Aye fair enough... Not saying we shouldn't fancy ourselves... Just that the drop down to the second place teams is apparent.