PSG and Leipzig - We’ll never get out of the group!

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
We are in such a good position now.

We have our 2 easiest games on paper against Istanbul in gameweek 3 and 4 - if we can get 2 wins here we've got 12 points and it will be almost impossible for us to not qualify with 12. Head to head rule means Leipzig can't finish above us in the scenario where 3 teams finish with 12 points (unless they somehow beat us by 5+ also).
If Istanbul and PSG draw in the next round think we have it sorted. Assuming PSG then go and win their 3 remaining games they will end up at 13 pts, in that case Leipzig can only get a maximum of 10 pts

4 pts from Istanbul for us should be more than manageable

Andersons Dietician

If we somehow cock this up does the creator of this thread get auto banned for jinxing us?

You would like to think we can do Behalsphor or whatever they called over the next two games then it’s job done. But come on man, why you tempting fate.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
If we somehow cock this up does the creator of this thread get auto banned for jinxing us?

You would like to think we can do Behalsphor or whatever they called over the next two games then it’s job done. But come on man, why you tempting fate.
If OP Jinxes us I have a ticket to Tartarus waiting for him.

These two games are VERY winable... but they have to be played first and upsets in Europe happens all the time.

norm87cro

I said it before the game that PSG are a very beatable team. Leipzig played some lovley stuff last season but lost a few players between then and now. I really don't understand the hype with this group. If we were in a group with say Real, Borussia and some team like Atalanta I'd be on board with the possible notion of us going out.

RashyForPM

If Istanbul and PSG draw in the next round think we have it sorted. Assuming PSG then go and win their 3 remaining games they will end up at 13 pts, in that case Leipzig can only get a maximum of 10 pts

4 pts from Istanbul for us should be more than manageable
6 for me. Two wins. They are awful. I watched them against Burnley, Galatasaray and Kobenhavn recently, and they are shocking. They have 80 year old Demba Ba upfront too to top it off. United legend that he is of course.

lysglimt

Scout
6 for me. Two wins. They are awful. I watched them against Burnley, Galatasaray and Kobenhavn recently, and they are shocking. They have 80 year old Demba Ba upfront too to top it off. United legend that he is of course.
Well - unless someone says that we don't let this f... slip - we should be ok

lysglimt

Scout
They are a seriously experienced side - aren't they ?

Goalkeeper Volcan is 32 - Rafael is 30, Epureanu is 34, Skrtel is 34, Topal is 34, Visca is 30, Ba is 35, Aleksic is 29, Gulbrandsen is 28, Chadli 31, Guiliani is 30 :)

wolvored

These 2 matches really showed we belong to this level of football on our day. We're top class team. Our squad is top class and it's really time for us to start challenging for bring prizes again. I'll be really disappointed if we didn't challenge for the league or made a proper CL run within the next 2-3 years. We're up to it.

We just need now to be more consistent and put such performances week in week out in every competition. Rebuilding of the squad is nearly done for me. We don't need much anymore. It's now time to take it to next step and become a consistent team and challenge for big things.
We need to be there or thereabouts now not 2-3 years. The squad is strong. We have strength on the bench again. I will be very disappointed if we are way off in the league and how it stands at least the quarter finals of Ch LGE. We have the best chance to get to last 16, and we have shown we can compete and beat teams the experts wrote us off against.

DevilsOwn

Great position to be in. Completely unexpected.

But still some way to go.
Won't count our Turkeys till they hatch!

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I said it before the game that PSG are a very beatable team. Leipzig played some lovley stuff last season but lost a few players between then and now. I really don't understand the hype with this group. If we were in a group with say Real, Borussia and some team like Atalanta I'd be on board with the possible notion of us going out.
Madrid have been in terrible form this season as have Atalanta. You can make these sorts of comments about anyone you end up getting, really.

Primafacie it was a very tough group and we’ve done exceptionally well so far.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
There's absolutely no way that United are not progressing from this group. Even if we were to somehow finish 2nd, we're almost nailed on to get into the knockout rounds.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
We're nowhere near the point of taking this group for granted yet.

norm87cro

Madrid have been in terrible form this season as have Atalanta. You can make these sorts of comments about anyone you end up getting, really.

Primafacie it was a very tough group and we’ve done exceptionally well so far.
And I agree but in reality PSG isn't a big euro name and they bottled pretty much every season of the CL including last years final. I'm happy we beat such a strong team but that's all they are. A group of random good footballers in one place. And whatever form Real Madrid are they are still Real Madrid

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Okay, I've read this a few times now and feel compelled to respond :p

Calling the current French league champions and CL finalists from "a very beatable team" is a false statement in every way imagineable.

There, I said it, now I can finally rest in peace.

sillwuka

We were dealt a good hand. PSG are nowhere near as good as some people make them out to be - RB we handled well.

Istanbul looked half decent when i watched them, it will be interesting but we have too much for them!

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Exactly, why would people be so complacent after 2 wins. Does Everton celebrate winning EPL now? We need 4 more points before we can afford to sit back and relax.
4 more points isn’t enough if Istanbul are the whipping boys.

McTerminator

Ah, another Ole iners provoking Ole outers thread. How about you get along.
I see what you’re saying and you may be correct.

However, it’s a very sad state of affairs when posts revelling in United’s success can be considered provocative by half of the fan base...

surely Ole outers can just enjoy being wrong, for however long it lasts, and Ole iners can appreciate that Ole outers just disagree as to what is best for the club?

cyril C

4 more points isn’t enough if Istanbul are the whipping boys.
You are correct. Let me spelt out the scenario. Assuming we can only get 4 points in the next 2 games, to a total of 10, which is normally enough but NOT YET.

What if PSG and RB get maximum 6 points from Istanbul. Then what if they split the points between themselves and get 3 points each. They only need to beat us 1-0, and we are going to Europa.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
We were dealt a good hand. PSG are nowhere near as good as some people make them out to be - RB we handled well.

Istanbul looked half decent when i watched them, it will be interesting but we have too much for them!
Please can you find a quote of yours saying this BEFORE the last 2 champions league games, otherwise it just comes across as undermining an excellent achievement from the boys.

Web of Bissaka

Why would they park the bus when they need points?
Maybe because they don't need any.

Seriously though, I don't think they really are aiming seriously to qualify next round. Getting massacred with ridiculous leads eg. 4-0/5-0 is more embarrassing. Better to lose by 1-0 or 2-0 than more. Less shame. And if they really researched us, doing their homework then they'll know we struggle against good low blocks, and have weak defense to exploit when they don't have good protection from midfield (facing teams like them, United most likely will risk more attacking, else they'll get ridiculed) so the chances to win is there, even if slim. Right, so let's park the bus!

Robbie Boy

If the OP was so confident then why was this thread only made after the first two group games :confused:

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
If the OP was so confident then why was this thread only made after the first two group games :confused:
Why would I make a whole thread before the games?

Argued with plenty of people during the draw threads. Embarrassing how scared many were.

Quite obviously the best time to point it out too.

Last edited:

sillwuka

Please can you find a quote of yours saying this BEFORE the last 2 champions league games, otherwise it just comes across as undermining an excellent achievement from the boys.
I agree that they were both great wins. On paper we have a better starting 11 than PSG, RB and Istanbul which is why I thought that, do you agree or not?