Pundits you actually like?

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Neville, Carragher and Jenas for me.

Lampard and Hargreaves are okay to listen to. Rio always has some interesting stories and can add some interesting opinions but still not great.

worldinmotion66

I always like listening to what the more knowledgeable pundits have to say. Simon jordan, danny Murphy and Jermaine jenas are decent, Neville and carragher are the yardstick.

When I hear Mickey Quinn saying Henderson would get into city's team ahead of laporte, I die a bit inside.

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
I find myself liking Carragher more even though he is an archetypal dipper who makes dogs ears bleed with his dolphinesque squeaks. I just think he talks a lot of sense and he actually defends Mourinho from time to time. Neville I was never a fan of as a player but the way he can break down a talking point is impressive. Andy Gray is still very good at what he does. Our own Danny Higginbotham is very impressive.

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
Neville, Carragher and Jenas for me.

Lampard and Hargreaves are okay to listen to. Rio always has some interesting stories and can add some interesting opinions but still not great.
Drop Hargreaves & I agree entirely with the rest.

Ban

Carragher, he's a scouser, his accent if horrible but honestly, he's great.

Jsadler20

Supports
Liverpool
Love: Neville, Carragher, Rosenoir, Wright, Alex Scott

Don't mind: Jenas, Shearer, Keown, Bellamy, Ferdinand, Hargreaves, Defoe, Lescott, Upson, Emma Hayes, Merson (for amusement reasons)

Dislike: Souness, Redknapp, Savage, Sutton, Ince, Keane, Scholes, Murphy, Wise, Allardyce, McMahon

They're all the ones I can think of currently :')

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
I really like Neville and Carragher when they are together. Especially when Neville has a go at him. However, I think every pundit should take the referees course. So many fans think that the refereeing is worse than it really is because they are being misinformed by pundits who don't really know the laws of the game. Not saying that the officiating is great, but it's not nearly as bad as people make it out to be...

nePhantom

Supports
Liverpool
Hated Gary Neville as a player, absolutely love him as a pundit. Best one around for me.

JamesB__

Supports
Stoke City
Lampard, Rio and Fabregas all impressed me during the World Cup.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Craig Bellemy is surprisingly good, agree with the rest too, except Hargreaves.

I liked Henry ❤

I like Scholes as he just gets straight to the point, I like Keane too he's funny.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
Unfortunately Andy Gray is still the best.

I can't stand his mate but I wish he was back on Sky.

HJ12

Am a fan of Lampard, although he's not on much since becoming Derby manager. Is very measured in his assessments and clearly thinks before saying something. The Hutch is also decent.

MUFC OK

Robbie Earl comes across quite well. Not a pundit as such but Simon Jordan on the radio.

CM

Yeah I think Carragher is probably the best one at the moment.

Liam Rosenior is very good too. He articulates himself very well for someone who has only been doing punditry for a few months.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Neville and Carragher on Sky
Rio, Savage and Jenas on BT

Liked Lampard, Gerrard and Henry before they all went into management as well

Minimalist

Can’t stand either Neville’s. Both are so fecking annoying and up their own arses. Social hand grenade comes to mind.

Don’t mind Carragher when he’s not spitting at little girls.

Actually don’t mind Souness a lot of the time. Gets a lot of shite on here but most of the time he talks sense to me. He just seems to hate certain players or coaches and once he’s set, he won’t change. Definitely needs to take Prozac though.

Dixon’s alright. Ian Wright’s fine. Rios good. Lampards good. Scholes is usually only just awake.

Keanes good too for the entertainment factor. Liable to make a good joke or not so good (awkward) joke.

Can’t really remember any others. Most of the BBC usuals are so boring I can’t remember what they’re like. Is Danny Murphy a pundit? What a boring cnut.

Henry and Redknapp are just window dressing.

Utdstar01

I find myself liking Carragher more even though he is an archetypal dipper who makes dogs ears bleed with his dolphinesque squeaks. I just think he talks a lot of sense and he actually defends Mourinho from time to time. Neville I was never a fan of as a player but the way he can break down a talking point is impressive. Andy Gray is still very good at what he does. Our own Danny Higginbotham is very impressive.
Agree with this!

Reddy Rederson

Garragher. Sure, he’s a scouse, but he makes his points well and doesn’t stick to the battle lines as much as some other former players who aren’t even from Liverpool yet still manage to look as bitter as a bitter thing that’s been dipped in bitter and then sat on a window on a bitter day.

Him and Neville were a great double act.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Wim Kieft and Johan Derksen. They're both miserable feckers who are perpetualy unimpressed.

Calling Derksen a pundit is a bit of a stretch though.

for a pundit that seems knowledgable, Kenneth Perez. Also think Van Persie will be an excellent pundit someday.

RedCurry

Carragher is probably the best out there. Rio starts off great but then just rambles on and on about some unrelated tangent. Andy Gray is also a very good pundit.

RedEM10

Sweaty Foot Monster
Think one of the better ones around without too much recognition is Keith Andrews. When I watch the championship games, his punditry is brilliant. He has plenty of knowledge on the lower leagues. Think Jenas is excellent also

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Andy Gray being championed is astounding. I can't take Andy Gray seriously since his sound bite about Messi and a cold night in Stoke. There's getting things wrong, and then there's idiocy, along the same lines as Charlie Nicholas predicting Cameroon would win the World Cup in 2010 because they're African. Glad he's still gone and appears to never be coming back. He was never that good anyway. He was just the most animated. His knowledge was non-existent.

Excluding Carragher and Neville (they have a bit of an unfair advantage as they have the biggest platform and a bigger window for in-depth analysis) I like Jenas, Fabregas, Ferdinand, Higginbotham and Lampard the most out of the ones who operate within 10-15 minute slots, and manage to keep their points concise and also insightful. Scott and Aluko were great at the World Cup too, but I've not seen them since. I haven't seen much of Bellamy either, but he's always decent when he's on.

I can do without all of the Soccer Saturday louts. Horrid bunch. Most of the original BT lot (Savage, Owen, McManaman etc) are awful too. Lawrenson needs binning forever. He clearly hates football and everything to do with it. Souness the same.

Shearer, Dixon and Murphy are tolerable but are rather bland. They're inoffensive enough to not really bother me.

Last edited:

Don Alfredo

Supports
Germany
Gary Neville has rhetorical talent, but I don't particularly like his take on the game.

Carragher is the best I know.

I also think Lampard, Henry and Ferdinand are enjoyable and (sometimes) insightful.

In Germany we had Christoph Kramer doing the world cup coverage as a pundit. He was playing in the 2014 world cup final and is still a top flight player at Monchengladbach. He had great opinions and really big insight into the workings, tactics and players of the German NT since he was part of the same team just a few years ago and the team didn't change much since 2014 (same manager, same tactics, same key players). He is not really a "pundit", but the pundit I most enjoy watching, even better than Gunter Netzer. Not a great player, but a great expert.

Philip Lahm, the world cup winning captain of the same team, was also a pundit at the world cup and he was so bad that he was immediately fired after the tournament:lol:

I also thought Mourinho was a really good pundit for RT during the world cup, I always watched the videos with him after the games.

Reiver

For me, Le Tissier stands out as being the best by a country mile on Gillette Soccer Saturday. Id bin the rest of them and give some others a shot at it

diarm

Really like:
Lampard, Rio, Liam Rosenior, Alex Scott, Jenas, Dixon, Henry, Drogba, Kilbane, Evra

Don't mind:
Shearer, Gary Neville, Carragher, Wright, Keane, Scholes, Fabregas, Hoddle, Keown, Hamman, Kamara, Le Tissier, Dublin, Crooks, Klinsmann, Upson

Actively Hate:
Owen, Hargreaves, Danny Murphy, Souness, Don Hutchison, Redknapp, Merson, Savage, Lawrenson, Dunphy, Brady, Giles, McMahon, Phil Neville, Thompson, Nicholas, McManaman

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Carragher & Neville are the best. Rio, Lampard, Fabregas, Jenas & Rosenior are good.

I don’t mind Bellamy when he’s on, but not seen much of him outside ‘The Debate’ show.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Neville, Carragher, Jenas, Scholes (shock horror), Rio, Henry (boring but I like him), Wright, Alex Scott. Enjoyed Eni Aluko at the World Cup. Lampard is alright.

Liking doesn't mean I have to agree all the time, which some (a lot) seem to think.

luke511

Owen Hargreaves was pretty unbearable when he first started, recently though I've found him to be really good, especially as a co-commentator.

Phil Neville by far the worst.

Leif GW

Shearer and Owen. Very insightful and prescient commentary.

EireRed_GS

Gary Neville one of the best there's been.. Carragher when along with Gaz is good too. Andy Gray has always been good.

He might not have a lot of input when there, but I also quite enjoy Keanos brutal honesty and dry sense of humour.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Sultan

diarm

Never seen Bellamy as a pundit but I'll look out for him.

I respect the hard work and detail Neville and Carragher bring to the trade - they've changed punditry really with the indepth analysis and insight they add and they're both very good at getting their points across. Neville just tries too hard to be unbiased for me and although it might be his commentary that annoys me more than his punditry - his trying to start a red card fuss about an absolutely innocuous challenge from Lukaku last year really pissed me off.

Eamon Dunphy, Michael Owen, Don Hutchinson, Danny Murphy and Owen Hargreaves are the 5 pillars of punditry evil though. I'd pay a years salary to have them all banished to a remote island for the rest of their days. Hell, I'd even listen to Phil Neville commentating and analysing every United game for a year if it meant I never had to watch those 5 clowns again.