Put a price on how much it would cost us to genuinely compete for the title

Trigg

aka Trippin_Stoned
Are we talking net spend because if we're willing to be ruthless, we can recoup a significant sum.

Out:
Martial - 25m
Sancho - 40m
Vdb - 15m
Mctom - 25m
Telles - 5m
Williams - 5m
Bailly - 8m
Maguire - 25m
Henderson - 25m
Dalot - 20m

173m
There is no way on gods green earth do you recoup that amount of money from that group of players.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
Maybe nothing and we could be competitive for a title next year if everything goes right.

- He who can't be named is our striker and has a great season
- Diallo has a good season and gives us cover for both Bruno and Antony
- Garnacho continues to improve and he and Rashford are on the left
- We buy a backup striker for $30 mil
- We buy a starting CM who can play DM for $70 mil
- We sell Martial for $20 mil, Fred for $10 mil, Maguire for $40 mil, and Sancho for $30 mil.

I would be excited for next year if all that happened.

Of course, we also should spend about $20 mil on some rising 18 year olds.

redshaw

We need some very shrewd transfers that can work well with the managers game plan. ETH can't be expected to trawl the market and we can't afford 70-100m per position. We can of course can make the odd big signing if right like Liverpool did but to transition quickly we need to find some bargains that can fit a better approach to control games higher up the table.

RC89

There is no way on gods green earth do you recoup that amount of money from that group of players.
I don't think we'll do it. But I think that's close to what they're worth. What are your valuations?

cyril C

First of all think about how many in-take first. A striker, 40-games-20-goals a season striker, 80m. A MF who can take up the DMF role, perhaps share 30 games a season with Eriksen and Casemiro. 60m Then a CB to back up Martinez, say 50m.

Even if we offload Martial, Maguire, VDB, I doubt we can recoup more than 40m.

Hence 150m+ just to build our Best 11. OK more like Best 15

frostbite

Maybe nothing and we could be competitive for a title next year if everything goes right.

- He who can't be named is our striker and has a great season
- Diallo has a good season and gives us cover for both Bruno and Antony
- Garnacho continues to improve and he and Rashford are on the left
- We buy a backup striker for $30 mil
- We buy a starting CM who can play DM for $70 mil
- We sell Martial for $20 mil, Fred for $10 mil, Maguire for $40 mil, and Sancho for $30 mil.

I would be excited for next year if all that happened.

Of course, we also should spend about $20 mil on some rising 18 year olds.
So, you believe we can genuinely compete for the title with only one striker, and furthermore, that one striker being "the one who can't be named" and who hasn't played for two years, and who if comes back will have a lot of baggage and many chants against him. I think you are too optimistic.

(Personally, I don't think he will play for us ever again. He will be released this summer. The main reason he was not released yet, is that he is an "asset" for the accountants, and we can't lose assets while our club is up for sale. )

Last edited:

Castia

£400m+

We not only need players to improve the starting 11 but also need a stronger bench. We’re absolutely desperate for a striker this summer but truth be told we need 2 because the likes of Martial etc aren’t to the standard you need to compete at the top. Id sell Maguire, Martial, Henderson, Sancho, McTominay, Donny. In all honesty I wouldn't be against selling Dalot either and getting class attacking RB.

Main striker
Backup Striker
Keeper
Right Back
Centre Back
Midfielder
Midfielder

I know it wont happen in 1 window but the squad needs nuking.

Last edited:

RedBanker

I love you Ole
There's no price. It takes good management and a winning ethos.
Would you say we need more aggressive characters such as Licha? If feel this team is so flat in terms of passion for the badge.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Would you say we need more aggressive characters such as Licha? If feel this team is so flat in terms of passion for the badge.
Not necessarily as I don't see much in the way of characters at City or Arsenal. The main problem is scoring goals so if we bought Kane and kept Rashford healthy next season that would make a massive difference. If we bought Kane plus a top midfielder, we would probably challenge for the league assuming the likes of Martinez and Varane stayed healthy.

Last edited:

gajender

Not necessarily. I don't see much in the way of characters on City or Arsenal. The main problem is scoring goals so if we bought Kane and kept Rashford healthy next season that would make a massive difference. If we bought Kane plus a top midfielder, we would probably challenge for the league assuming the likes of Martinez and Varane stayed healthy.
We can forget about challenging for the title as long as De Gea is in Goal , Our scope of Improvements in terms of points tally is to drastically improve our away form which unfortunately I just can't see happening with De Gea . Slight improvements yes but major gains not likely .

Raoul

Admin
Staff
We can forget about challenging for the title as long as De Gea is in Goal , Our scope of Improvements in terms of points tally is to drastically improve our away form which unfortunately I just can't see happening with De Gea . Slight improvements yes but major gains not likely .
De Gea isn't the problem. He may need replacing but our overall problem has been scoring goals. We don't have a proper striker and if it wasn't for Rashford's two month post WC run of form, we would probably be close to mid table right now.

Galactic

Incorrigible pest
There's no price. It takes good management and a winning ethos.
So true.

I also think we lack on field leadership. It must not come from just one or two players. Everyone must lead. When things go wrong, we need players to drag the team out of the mud. So IMO we need more new players for this. WW has it but his footballing ability isn’t worldclass. He’s good but we need much better IMO.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
So true.

I also think we lack on field leadership. It must not come from just one or two players. Everyone must lead. When things go wrong, we need players to drag the team out of the mud. So IMO we need more new players for this. WW has it but his footballing ability isn’t worldclass. He’s good but we need much better IMO.
Yep. This club is in desparte need of a top striker. Weghorst was obviously just a temporary solution to get us through a few months after the CR7 debacle and Martial is no longer reliable. This summer is the time to go all in on a top striker, whether Kane or someone else who can deliver 30 or more goals.

Last edited:

gajender

De Gea isn't the problem. He may need replacing but our overall problem has been scoring goals. We don't have a proper striker and if it wasn't for Rashford's two month post WC run of form, we would probably be close to mid table right now.
We need a quality consistent goalscorer that's for certain but we would be deluding ourselves If we believe that we can mount title challenge without upgrading De Gea .

Our away woes are intrinsically linked to lacking quality at both ends .

With De Gea in goal our away woes aren't gonna go away anytime soon his timidness and his ability fold under slight pressure would be our undoing time and again next season as well .

He is agent of chaos and at hostile away grounds where calm head is needed in the goal, his limitations just gives Opposition teams and fans impetus they need to overwhelm and blow away United .

Just to add United already have 43 points from 17 home games in the league might end with 48 points , so scope of improvement with our home form in terms of points tally isn't that much even with Prolific striker but games would certainly become bit comfortable .

Our major improvements in terms of points should come from getting results away from home , this is where my concerns are I just don't see us becoming 2ppg team away from home unless De Gea stops being such a liability against any half decent team or is replaced .

So a Title challenge for me would still remain a pipe dream even with Proper Striker and a new Midfielder .

Raoul

Admin
Staff
We need a quality consistent goalscorer that's for certain but we would be deluding ourselves If we believe that we can mount title challenge without upgrading De Gea .

Our away woes are intrinsically linked to lacking quality at both ends .

With De Gea in goal our away woes aren't gonna go away anytime soon his timidness and his ability fold under slight pressure would be our undoing time and again next season as well .

He is agent of chaos and at hostile away grounds where calm head is needed in the goal, his limitations just gives Opposition teams and fans impetus they need to overwhelm and blow away United .

Just to add United already have 43 points from 17 home games in the league might end with 48 points , so scope of improvement with our home form in terms of points tally isn't that much even with Prolific striker but games would certainly become bit comfortable .

Our major improvements in terms of points should come from getting results away from home , this is where my concerns are I just don't see us becoming 2ppg team away from home unless De Gea stops being such a liability against any half decent team or is replaced .

So a Title challenge for me would still remain a pipe dream even with Proper Striker and a new Midfielder .
I think we can upgrade De Gea this summer since he's 32 and not getting any better from his former world class self last decade. But keeper alone wouldn't resolve our main problem of scoring goals.

gajender

I think we can upgrade De Gea this summer since he's 32 and not getting any better from his former world class self last decade. But keeper alone wouldn't resolve our main problem of scoring goals.
Oh I agree there we just need both to mount proper title challenge if it's just the one then I would go for Striker as well .

But our overall quality of play would improve more with new keeper and midfielder but having a prolific striker might give us better chance to get points on the board even while playing shit .

meamth

We need the 2nd world's best striker and be like the old days when Manchester United used to have the best of the best strikers in world football!

I still can't move on from the fact that we given up on signing world class strikers since Lukaku's failure. Sir Alex wouldn't settle for this if he's in charge.

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

Taking into account the quality of the PL these days and the fact that some of our better performers atm are 30+ I would say in the next 2 years we need:

1 top striker, 2 midfielders, 1 RB, 1 CB, probably a new GK and I would argue at least one top class winger (sounds ridiculous after what we spent on Sancho and Antony but I do not consider them good enough).
And that is only the first team.

fergiewherearethou

Supports
Erik ten Hag
The only way we can hypothetically challenge for the title next year, the gap being fairly big, would be to compensate the lack of time and team chemistry with real player talent. That would mean an attack with Rashford-Kane-Mbappe, midfield of Bruno-Case-De Jong, defense of Shaw-Martinez-Varane-Hakimi and a new GK.
Add at least 3-4 good new players on the bench and we are looking to spending over 500 mil, hypothetically.
Players like Antony, Sancho, Weghorst, Maguire, Martial, Mct, Fred shouldn't be allowed in the same sentence with title challenge.

Pughnichi

For me

only Martinez, Varane, Lindelof, Shaw, Bruno, Casemiro, Garnacho, Rashford and possibly Antony/Eriksen get anywhere near their match day squad.

based on above we still need…

Gk, fullbacks (plural), at least 2 central midfielders, a direct right winger and a striker

RedRocket9908

I recon this that I saw posted on BBC HYS would be a great transfer window if the prices are correct:-

GK - Bart Verbruggen - £10m

RWB - Joao Mario £43m

CB - Kim Min-Jae - £39m

CM - Youri Tielemens - Free

DM - Aurilien Tchouameni - £49m

ST - Marcus Thuram - £39m

ST - Rasmus Hojlund - £40m

Total Cost £220m

Out- Alex Telles, one of Dalot or AWB, Bailly, De Gea, Martial, Jones, Tuanzebe, McTominay, Tom Heaton, Brandon Williams

Last edited:

Todd

I don't think we'll do it. But I think that's close to what they're worth. What are your valuations?
The one that sticks out to me is Martial at 25 million. Who is going to pay that for a player that is unavailable for the majority of the season? Maybe someone takes a punt on him for 10 million.

Todd

I recon this would be a great transfer window if possible:-

RWB - Joao Mario £43m

CB - Kim Min-Jae - £39m

Total Cost £220m

Out- Alex Telles, one of Dalot or AWB, Bailly, De Gea, Martial, Jones, Tuanzebe, McTominay, Tom Heaton, Brandon Williams
I would love to see Tchouameni at United but I don't see Madrid letting him go...and even if they did, he'd cost a lot more than 50 million.

Also, doesn't KMJ have a release clause of around 60 million?

Trigg

aka Trippin_Stoned
These threads are so cringe. The values that people pluck from seemingly thin air is really funny.

Its going to take some serious money to get the kind of players Ten Hag wants no doubt, but its also going to take time and patience. Its a process, and its not going to be done in the next transfer window. You're probably looking at at least another 3 windows, including the upcoming one, so we're talking about spending £250m - £300m in that time approxmiately? Hopefully, with that investment and the continued improvement through coaching on some of the younger players we could be challenge.

RomfordRed75

In an ideal world:

Diogo Costa - £50m
Kim Min Jae - £40m
Maddison - £40m
Rice - £100m
ST -- Kane £90m

Those 5 make us challengers.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
So, you believe we can genuinely compete for the title with only one striker, and furthermore, that one striker being "the one who can't be named" and who hasn't played for two years, and who if comes back will have a lot of baggage and many chants against him. I think you are too optimistic.

(Personally, I don't think he will play for us ever again. He will be released this summer. The main reason he was not released yet, is that he is an "asset" for the accountants, and we can't lose assets while our club is up for sale. )
I did say if everything goes right and I also said we buy a good backup striker for $30 mil. So we have "what's his name", a backup, and Rashford in a pinch at striker position. If the first guy can score 15 to 20 and Garnacho and Antony improve their numbers we have a team in the hunt.

Young adults make stupid mistakes and society usually gives them a second chance.

Bearded One

De Gea
Kimmich Verane Lisandro Shaw
Casmiero Kovacic
Mane
Fernandes Rashford
Kane
This is the level we need our starting eleven to get to, to begin to compete at the level we belong.

jem

And it's not like Greenwood (feck it, I'm saying his name) was that good - his potential ceiling was very high, but he was hardly a 20-goal-per-season striker at the time he was suspended.

jem

I did say if everything goes right and I also said we buy a good backup striker for $30 mil. So we have "what's his name", a backup, and Rashford in a pinch at striker position. If the first guy can score 15 to 20 and Garnacho and Antony improve their numbers we have a team in the hunt.

Young adults make stupid mistakes and society usually gives them a second chance.
Stupid mistake is a very generous way of putting it.

RC89

I recon this that I saw posted on BBC HYS would be a great transfer window if the prices are correct:-

RWB - Joao Mario £43m

CB - Kim Min-Jae - £39m

Total Cost £220m

:houllier:

Why is he in here? Are Madrid not keen on him?

Woziak

Think we could get smart in this transfer window we need to generally improve squad depth as well as first 11 and maybe just maybe if everything goes well we might be able to add 3 players in the winter window. The issue with this season is the number of games we’ve played, a mid season World Cup and how tired our players are because they squad depth is so poor plus the high level of injuries we’ve had.

We need to make 3 or 4 top level transfer in summer, 3 free transfers and 1 or 2 young emerging players that are relatively cheap. I think we will have £180m maximum to spend after player sales, loans and releases;

Player Sales ; H Maguire, E Bailey, A Telles, E Laird, Fred, B Williams, A Martial, DVB, A Elanga max £80m for all those players.

Loans ; M Greenwood, F Pellistri, A Fernandes,

Key Signings ; D Raya (30m) KMJ(45m), R Hojlund(55m) L Sane, K Coman or O Dembele (50m)
Total £180m

Free Signings ; Y Tielemans, A Rabiot and M Thurham

We need squad depth and we need players who want to compete to get in starting 11 we won’t get Kane and Osimhen will blow the budget and we need a genuine speedster like Sane, Dembele or K Coman to give us a true threat down the right and Sancho should be trained as number 10 and compete with Bruno.

In January when Henderson is fit from injury, Greenwood value has gone up on his loan and Mctominay can’t get regular football we should sell all 3 for hopefully £70-75m, loan out Amad to mid table PL team and then go get the following

Winter Window; Harry Kane £50m, Moses Caciedo £85m J Frimpong or D Dumfries £35m net spend £120m
Two of the most talented youngsters in South America for £20m , one number 10, one attacking young left back

Summer Squad after transfer ;
GK (4) -
D Raya, D De Gea, T Heaton,
D Henderson (InJured)

Defenders(9) - D Dalot, AWB, T Malacia, L Shaw, KMJ, V Lindelof, R Varanne, L Martinez, T Mengdi

Midfield(7) - Casemeiro, Eriksen, Bruno, A Rabiot, S Mctominay, Y Tielemans, J Sancho

Attack(7) - M Rashford, R Hojlund, O Dembele, Garnaucho, M Thurham, Antony
Amad Diallo

Our first 11 after summer ; D Raya, D Dalot, R Varane, KMJ, L Shaw, Casemeiro, A Rabiot , Bruno, Dembele, Hojlund, Rashford

Bench - De Gea, AWB, Lindelof, C Ericsen , Tielemans, Sancho, Antony, Thurman, Garnaucho

Our first 11 after winter transfer- D Raya, DumFries, KMJ, L Martinez, L Shaw, Casemeiro, Caciedo, Bruno, Dembele, Kane, Rashford

Bemch - De Gea, AWB, R Varane, A Rabiot, Ericsen, Hojlund, M Thurham, Garnaucho, Y Tielemans

One of Sancho and Antony might be sold by then too and the squad will carry injuries so we will have probably only 23 from 27 players and a young talent like Shay Lacey may emerge at 17/18 by winter. We only challenge if we start well in the season we would need 44-46 points from 20 PL games before New Year which means 14/15 PL wins. This squad has goals, pace, experience, solid defence and creativity but you only play if your in form and fit.

Long answer we need £300m, over two windows and an awful lot of luck to get the right signings and a good start.

Most important Factor however is. Glazers Need To F….OFF ASAP

Last edited:

Yorke to Cole

Anyone that mentions Youri Tielemens is in a mindset of mediocrity and this is the mentality we are trying to get rid of. Most importantly, those poor excuses for owners need to go and have a back room at the executive level and scouting level needs to be implemented.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
We need the 2nd world's best striker and be like the old days when Manchester United used to have the best of the best strikers in world football!

I still can't move on from the fact that we given up on signing world class strikers since Lukaku's failure. Sir Alex wouldn't settle for this if he's in charge.
This!
If Fergie showed us anything it’s that you can still win things with a really hardworking team and a top class striker or two. It doesn’t need to be a perfect team in behind. Our main problems are that we are so blunt through the middle, we don’t create enough clear cut chances, we never score from set pieces, we have a deep defensive line and a GK who is commanding and doesn’t have solid enough distribution.

r1z3mu

Money can't fix bad recruitment. 200 or 300 million can easily be waisted with almost no improvement.