Putting the Sanchez transfer fee into context (financial comparisons)

MadMike

• Neymar - £200m + £660K a week (Pre tax) on 5 Year contract = £200m +172m in wages = £372m overall
  • Coutinho - £140m + £240K a week (Pre Tax) on 5 year contract = £200m +63m = £263m Overall
  • Dembele = £135.5m + 220K a week (Pre tax) on 5 year contract = 135.5m + 57m = £192.5m overall
  • Pogba = £89.3m + 200K a week (pre tax) on a 5 year contract = £89.3m + 52m = £141m overall
  • Van Dijk - £75m + 180K a week (Pre tax) on 5 year contract = £75m + 47m = £122m overall
  • Sanchez = £0 + £10m signing on fee, £15m to agent, £350k a week wages on a 4.5 year contract = 25m + 82m = £107m overall
So I was on the tube, and saw at least 3 papers describing the Sanchez transfer as monstrous, taking his salary into account, agents fees when none of this shit ever gets mentioned with other transfers.

So putting his transfer into context.. I haven't even put it into context such as the fact we save money on Mkhi's wages, nor have I been able to locate exact details relating to agent's fees etc for these other transfers or other bonuses but feel free to make amends to the figures used in my OP. Neymar's overall transfer was touted to be in region of £450m - but I am not sure how they reached this figure for example.. need more info.

But the bottom line is, signing a genuine star in Sanchez, a guy who will be the jewel in our attack and our main man for the money we did - is for my money, considering that he is playing for a historically ferocious rival for the money we did.. is an absolute bargain.

The narrative in the media about the fee is a fecking joke it really is. Sanchez salary is a touch overpriced, but does he deserve more wages than a Coutinho? feck yes, he's a main attacker for a side not just a playmaker support act. Secondly he's a sure thing, not a risk or a developing player like a Dembele and you're getting him on a free transfer effectively and you're trying to beat a rival like City to his signature. I'd say taking that all into account £300k would probably be a very fair price in this current inflated market.

Anyway feel free to add any further details, comparisons, thoughts.
I like how only United's transfers have sign-on fees and agent fees rolled into the total cost. As if PSG did not have to pay some obscene fees to Neymar's dad for the transfer and the player received no sign-on bonus. It was only the £200m buy out clause and the salary, right?

United Pro

How many player's get their image rights referred to when we are trying to work out what they are paid..

Not saying that money shouldn't be included, but if we are including these figures for Sanchez, we need to do it across the board too.
No I agree. It should be noted, but not included in the wages Sanchez earns. It only started spreading because of City's briefing to save face.

whatwha

Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea
Facts? None of the numbers (except one or two published transfer fee)on this thread are facts, everything is guess work. Not a thread to talk about facts.

Also don't think extra 30-35 million over 4.5 years would change whether deal was good or very good for us.
Okay, maybe not facts, but other guesswork that doesn't support the narrative of Sanchez being less than super expensive.

30m is always significant.

Dave89

I can conclusively conclude we've no idea what Sanchez cost.

Which is infuriating as we can't challenge the £600k a week that people are making up.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Okay, maybe not facts, but other guesswork that doesn't support the narrative of Sanchez being less than super expensive.

Sanchez was not super expensive, he was actually almost free in terms of transfer fee and his salary isn't that bad at all considering how good he is.

We got a bargain and the only reason people think we didn't is because City told everyone so.

Van Allens Belt

Pointless to compare the total costs I am afraid.
We don't know the full details of these transfers, agent fees, sign on fees, under the table fees, bonuses, before/after tax, agent goodwill etc.etc.

The real value of the deal will be measured by the success, or lack of, Sanchez brings on the field.

Vialli_92

Supports
Juventus
Who is going to buy 28 years old player who can't even get into our match day squad for 40m ? Name me a team
Sanchez was valued at around £35 million by Arsenal and seemed to be the fee agreed between them and City

So it's fair to say Arsenal values Mkhi at around the same price as that £35 million since it was a swap deal

Fridge chutney

Either way he's the highest paid pl player ever, so whatever it is, it's stupid money.
It isn't though. Companies around the world pay top dollar for top talent, so why shouldn't United? Additionally, different companies have different wage structures, and that impacts remuneration packages. I'm going to earn more working for Amazon or Google in Silicon Valley than I am doing a similar job at 'Barb's Internet Shoppe' in Yeovil.

United still spends the least amount of money in the league on player wages relative to revenue generated.

Not stupid money at all.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
This from the Indie:

While United were willing to pay agents’ fees that City (and clubs like Chelsea and Bayern Munich wouldn’t), sources close to the Old Trafford hierarchy dispute some ideas about the figures. They say Sanchez will be paid on par with Paul Pogba at around £300,000 week, for obvious diplomatic reasons, and that the signing-on fee was not £20m.

Loke

Supports
Arsenal
And if Sanchez contributes to United's success in the league and Champions League, then it's entirely worth it.

United are one of very few clubs in the world that can absorb the cost of such deals.

Every transfer presents some element of risk.
I meant in terms of what clubs can offer. There were a lot of posters here laughing at arsenal for being unable to keep him but based on figures being touted about then we had no chance from the start. There are only 4-5 clubs in the world that can pay that and one of them decided it wasn't worth matching uniteds offer.
It's not rocket science to think if city matched everything united offered Sanchez that he'd duly choose them.

whatwha

Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea
Sanchez was not super expensive, he was actually almost free in terms of transfer fee and his salary isn't that bad at all considering how good he is.

We got a bargain and the only reason people think we didn't is because City told everyone so.
You're actually saying any thoughts contrary to your viewpoint of Sanchez being cheap have just been shaped by what City have said...? Wow. That's kinda insulting, and a stupid thing to say.

Mkhi has a value, let's say 30m. Paying the equivalent of 30m plus massive fees to Sanchez and his agent, is far from "almost free", especially considering he had 5 months left on his contract. No-one has ever paid close to that for a player in his contract position before.

It's not a bad deal, but it's also far from a bargain. Gotta keep in mind he's 29 and will have zero resale value, too.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

Sanchez is not super expensive considering how good he is.

Trigg

aka Trippin_Stoned
Okay, £35m... £30m...£25m..whatever is that amount needs to be added. Sanchez wasn't a gift.
The problem is. We know about as much as everybody else, and I include the media in that. No one will really know the intricacies of the deal.

On the surface, it was a swap deal. But in reality it's much more complicated than that.

Not to mention, no one will care how much he costs if he contributes to winning some trophies :)

Fridge chutney

It's not rocket science to think if city matched everything united offered Sanchez that he'd duly choose them
Except Sanchez himself put that lazy claim to bed, when he didn't have to address it at all.

Fluctuation0161

It would be a fairer comparison to view it by year so you are comparing the same metric.

Also, those saying you need to subtract Mikhis wages, you don't.. we are looking at cost of Sanchez not the implication to Man United wages as a whole..
We’ve effectively swapped Miki for Sanchez so deducting Miki’s cost from Sanchez makes sense.

Either way, massive upgrade and a great deal in the context of today’s transfer market.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Anybody knows( is it reported anywhere) true numbers of this transfer? 15 mil to agent? I don't think so.
And that image rights? Are they included in pogba's 290k or is it 290 plus that? Also goes on sanchez. 350 plus image rights or 350 with image rights?

Revan

Assumptionman
I love how United are the only clubs that pay signing on fee, and agent fees. We are so rich that we do that just because of our goodwill.

Neymar, a known money-hungry person, whose transfer to Barcelona had likely the biggest signing on fee/agent fee in the history of the sports (both to his father), somehow didn't get any money when he went to PSG. Yeah, sure.

To be totally correct, I think that we need to add on Sanchez's fee 35m transfer because of Mhiki, but at the same time to deduct Mhiki's wages, in which case we have to add 10-15m or so in total and so the transfer becomes 120m pounds. Which isn't that bad, around 30m pounds for year. If Sanchez's give 3 seasons at his best, it would be a fantastic transfer.

About the other players (bar Van Diijk), we need to consider that they will have resale value (unlike Sanchez). They cost more than Sanchez (and bar Neymar, each of them are worse players than Sanchez), but the buying club can get some/all of their money back if they sell him in 2-3 years.

Anyway, I honestly don't care that much. We have the lowest wage to revenue ratio in the entire football (counting the clubs in top leagues), so if we pay to Sanchez 20m yearly wage, it won't make a difference at all. Him helping us just to reach UCL (or win UCL/league during his contract) is all that matters.

Sarni

You're actually saying any thoughts contrary to your viewpoint of Sanchez being cheap have just been shaped by what City have said...? Wow. That's kinda insulting, and a stupid thing to say.

Mkhi has a value, let's say 30m. Paying the equivalent of 30m plus massive fees to Sanchez and his agent, is far from "almost free", especially considering he had 5 months left on his contract. No-one has ever paid close to that for a player in his contract position before.

It's not a bad deal, but it's also far from a bargain. Gotta keep in mind he's 29 and will have zero resale value, too.
No, it's not stupid at all.

Resale value is something big clubs should never care about much when it comes to players who you can be almost certain will succeed. Real Madrid did not care Figo, Zidane or Ronaldo would not have resale value when they broke records to buy them because they knew they would never sell them in their prime and would not recoup the money they paid for them. It's not in big club's interest to sell their best players to generate revenue, you buy them for a period of time you think they are going to be good for and not care what you will get afterwards. In Sanchez case the expectation is probably to have him carry our attack for 3-4 years.

A player like Sanchez is worth £70m minimum in open market. We did not pay a fee to get him, we offered a player that was surplus to requirements here and worth maybe £20m or £25m. Even if we paid his agent £10m or so, it's still a very good total of £30m or £40m which was only possible for us because of his contract status. Bear in mind that agents provision and signing on fee is something you would have paid even if you had paid full fee for him too, and they were very likely pretty standard for a world class player.

We got a very good opportunity to sign a world class player well below his market value, and the total outlay for him will be much lower than a typical cost of similar player in the market. City propaganda has somehow convinced people that the cost is going to be extreme and media have lapped it up but truth is we got a very good deal here that you wouldn't normally be able to get.

Last edited:

Antonedwin

Sanchez was valued at around £35 million by Arsenal and seemed to be the fee agreed between them and City

So it's fair to say Arsenal values Mkhi at around the same price as that £35 million since it was a swap deal
This is where everyone wrong , why did people using Sanchez value to estimate mkhi value ? They don't have the same value mate , one is +20 goals & assist combined every season the other one is our flop
The only reason arsenal agreed with swap deal is because Alexis is running out contract
rather than losing him for free & have to spend +90m to replace him , they accepted our offer

Arsenal wouldn't want to pay 35m for mkhi if it in cash , mkhi will be overlooked by top club & we might end up selling him for less than 20m in next summer due to his wage demand

Last edited:

RedCurry

How did the wages go up again? Didn't the report yesterday say that he's earning the same as Pogba which would put him at £290,000 per week before tax?

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
We’ve effectively swapped Miki for Sanchez so deducting Miki’s cost from Sanchez makes sense.

Either way, massive upgrade and a great deal in the context of today’s transfer market.
It doesn't make sense. I understand your logic and why you are saying it should be but it's what the club save on wages, it isn't part of what Alexis is costing us, it's that simple.

In terms of value, I agree it looks to be great value assuming he plays as we know he is capable of.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
No, it's not stupid at all.

Resale value is something big clubs should never care about much when it comes to players who you can be almost certain will succeed. Real Madrid did not care Figo, Zidane or Ronaldo would not have resale value when they broke records to buy them because they knew they would never sell them in their prime and would not recoup the money they paid for them. It's not in big club's interest to sell their best players to generate revenue, you buy them for a period of time you think they are going to be good for and not care what you will get afterwards. In Sanchez case the expectation is probably to have him carry our attack for 3-4 years.
Another good point.

Red Digger

If we were to sell Sanchez this Summer we would get 80-100 miliion. We have a much bigger asset now than Miki would ever have been. So yes, he is free. Great business from the club.

Sarni

If we were to sell Sanchez this Summer we would get 80-100 miliion. We have a much bigger asset now than Miki would ever have been. So yes, he is free. Great business from the club.
That's actually a good point. Even if we were to sell him a year from now we would get £60m or more considering an almost 32-year old Dzeko is supposedly worth £30m to Chelsea, a 30-year old Sanchez would be double that minimum.

At the end of his contract, when he's almost 34, he won't be worth that much anymore but if he's good here for 4 and a half years then I doubt anyone will care that he has no resale value. Van Persie only really excelled here for a year, and then had good performance every now and again for the next two, and he was still an excellent buy at £24m.

Hullyback

Supports
Liverpool FC
Does anyone genuinely care about the financial aspects? You (United) have got a genuine world class player and game changer. So it's 100m over his contract or 500m it really doesn't matter. United can afford it no matter what. Put into context, he'll probably cost about as much as Mata does if you add wages and transfer fee up, or Fellaini, Darmian and Blind combined. I'd happily let all 4 of them go on a free to West brom if it meant keeping a Sanchez.

Too many people are fixated on the money nowadays, if the clubs can afford it, don't sweat it. It isn't coming out of your pay packet like N.I and council tax so just be happy you've got one of the best players in his position on the planet no matter the cost, cos he'll probably recoup that over his time with results that'd otherwise gone another way. I don't factor in Shirt sales as you don't get that money, the sponsor does, but the sponsor pays the money hoping to sell vastly overpriced t-shirts, Sanchez will sell a boatload. Win/win

Congrats on getting him anyway, nice to see City can't buy all the shiny things in the shop and I for one didn't wanna see them dominating a one horse race, if United, Chelsea (possibly) and Liverpool hopefully can keep on their coattails that's all the better for the league. I'd hate to see the Prem go the way of Germany or France and have one team just walking it. They might do it this year but next season should be closer as Sanchez will undoubtedly improve United, and I hope Keita is the missing link for Liverpool. Chelsea are bound to go buy a few players as well cos I can't see Conte still being there and a new manager will want funds to buy better players than Drinkwater and Barkley.

Fluctuation0161

It doesn't make sense. I understand your logic and why you are saying it should be but it's what the club save on wages, it isn't part of what Alexis is costing us, it's that simple.

In terms of value, I agree it looks to be great value assuming he plays as we know he is capable of.
I understand your logic too, of looking at the Sanchez cost in isolation. It’s just that, to me, as it was a swap deal it makes sense to look at the bigger picture.

The figures being banded around in the media are mostly exaggerated rubbish. Quite annoying. But I’m just happy to have got a top quality player in!

99fan

I think the only direct financial benifit of Micky swap was to save on VAT tax. Lets assume the value of Micky in current market 35m £ , with 20% VAT, this will result in 7m £ saving . As logic dictate , this is the only number we can substract from Sanchez deal.

Loke

Supports
Arsenal
Not quite as putting him in the shop window would highlight a serious issue to other clubs hence his price plummeting. Probably around 40m. Anyway there is no point talking about how much he would cost now to others as it's a moot point since by time he leaves you he'll be past it.

AndyJ1985

Who gives a shit? We have financial experts running the club who ensure we pay what we can afford whilst still making a profit. Whether we pay Sanchez £300k or £500k makes no difference to any of us. The only reason for this modern day obsession with finances is to claim a moral victory over rival fans. I mean who the hell gets excited about discussing finances in their spare time for any other reason? Besides, if anyone's winning such a sad and pointless moral spending pissing war it's United; we're the richest club in the world and our spending is sustainable because we're globally massive. So to any envious Spurs, Liverpool, and Arsenal fans reading this, when you attempt to mock us for spending vast sums of money, we all know you'd love for your club to do the same, so give it a rest.

About time the money obsession died. It consumes every discussion regarding transfers and is boring as feck.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
I understand your logic too, of looking at the Sanchez cost in isolation. It’s just that, to me, as it was a swap deal it makes sense to look at the bigger picture.

The figures being banded around in the media are mostly exaggerated rubbish. Quite annoying. But I’m just happy to have got a top quality player in!
there's not really a bigger picture though, we would've sold Mkhi anyway and got his wages back and the transfer fee for it. You can't subtract his wages from Sanchez and ignore his potential transfer fee just because it makes the numbers look better.

Alexrad

Supports
Red Star Belgrade
  • Neymar - £200m + £660K a week (Pre tax) on 5 Year contract = £200m +172m in wages = £372m overall
  • Coutinho - £140m + £240K a week (Pre Tax) on 5 year contract = £200m +63m = £263m Overall
  • Dembele = £135.5m + 220K a week (Pre tax) on 5 year contract = 135.5m + 57m = £192.5m overall
  • Pogba = £89.3m + 200K a week (pre tax) on a 5 year contract = £89.3m + 52m = £141m overall
  • Van Dijk - £75m + 180K a week (Pre tax) on 5 year contract = £75m + 47m = £122m overall
  • Sanchez = £0 + £10m signing on fee, £15m to agent, £350k a week wages on a 4.5 year contract = 25m + 82m = £107m overall
So I was on the tube, and saw at least 3 papers describing the Sanchez transfer as monstrous, taking his salary into account, agents fees when none of this shit ever gets mentioned with other transfers.

So putting his transfer into context.. I haven't even put it into context such as the fact we save money on Mkhi's wages, nor have I been able to locate exact details relating to agent's fees etc for these other transfers or other bonuses but feel free to make amends to the figures used in my OP. Neymar's overall transfer was touted to be in region of £450m - but I am not sure how they reached this figure for example.. need more info.

But the bottom line is, signing a genuine star in Sanchez, a guy who will be the jewel in our attack and our main man for the money we did - is for my money, considering that he is playing for a historically ferocious rival for the money we did.. is an absolute bargain.

The narrative in the media about the fee is a fecking joke it really is. Sanchez salary is a touch overpriced, but does he deserve more wages than a Coutinho? feck yes, he's a main attacker for a side not just a playmaker support act. Secondly he's a sure thing, not a risk or a developing player like a Dembele and you're getting him on a free transfer effectively and you're trying to beat a rival like City to his signature. I'd say taking that all into account £300k would probably be a very fair price in this current inflated market.

Anyway feel free to add any further details, comparisons, thoughts.

Mkhi didn't have a value? If we sold him to someone else we would have gotten 25-30 million for sure so saying how we paid zero for Sanchez makes no sense. Real value isn't 107 million but close to 140.

Emptihead

Supports
Manchester City
He is a great player who most definitely improves your squad. Congrats on signing him. Not sure why so many care about exactly how much he cost. Don't think we will ever know, nor does it matter. I think the last couple windows pundits have become obsessed with the financials of deals instead of what the signings represent in footballing terms and fans have been caught up with it as well. It's all inconsequential what matters is the football.

ti vu

You need to add the transfer fee. Mkhi with 3 years remaining on his contract would have gone for at least 40m in the summer under the current market conditions.

Also, all those are young players with a resale value. Don't think Sanchez would have much value when his contract finishes.
Except that his current form and his wage meant we're getting peanut. He didn't earn his gametime (there are others who deserved). How can you sell a player like that for more than his initial fee?

A motivated Alexis with few months left can help Arsenal to achieve CL qualification which tens of mil. Arsenal and Wenger failed to get him to perform to that level so it's similar to Mkhi situation where the player holds no real value to the team anymore. The value is determined by the buyer. The value is determined by the sellers, and not the market rate in this case, which as explained liability for the clubs the way they performed and their wage

Last edited:

Dyslexic Untied

Does anyone genuinely care about the financial aspects? You (United) have got a genuine world class player and game changer. So it's 100m over his contract or 500m it really doesn't matter. United can afford it no matter what. Put into context, he'll probably cost about as much as Mata does if you add wages and transfer fee up, or Fellaini, Darmian and Blind combined. I'd happily let all 4 of them go on a free to West brom if it meant keeping a Sanchez.

Too many people are fixated on the money nowadays, if the clubs can afford it, don't sweat it. It isn't coming out of your pay packet like N.I and council tax so just be happy you've got one of the best players in his position on the planet no matter the cost, cos he'll probably recoup that over his time with results that'd otherwise gone another way. I don't factor in Shirt sales as you don't get that money, the sponsor does, but the sponsor pays the money hoping to sell vastly overpriced t-shirts, Sanchez will sell a boatload. Win/win

Congrats on getting him anyway, nice to see City can't buy all the shiny things in the shop and I for one didn't wanna see them dominating a one horse race, if United, Chelsea (possibly) and Liverpool hopefully can keep on their coattails that's all the better for the league. I'd hate to see the Prem go the way of Germany or France and have one team just walking it. They might do it this year but next season should be closer as Sanchez will undoubtedly improve United, and I hope Keita is the missing link for Liverpool. Chelsea are bound to go buy a few players as well cos I can't see Conte still being there and a new manager will want funds to buy better players than Drinkwater and Barkley.
Agree with this (apart from the hoping Liverpool do well next year;)). Good post.

Suedesi

Actually, the cost of Sanchez is even lower.

You need to deduct Mihki's wages for 3(?) years off sanchez his wages.
(I think mikhi had like 3 years left no?)
This.

Because of the swap, the total Sanchez cost is the upfront bonus and the difference in wages between Alexis and Mkhi.