Qanon

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
QAnon[a] (/kjuːəˈnɒn/) is a far-right conspiracy theory[2][3][4][5][6] detailing a supposed secret plot by an alleged "deep state" against U.S. President Donald Trump and his supporters.[7] The theory began with an October 2017 post on the anonymous imageboard 4chan by someone using the tripcode Q, a presumably American[8] individual that may have later grown to include multiple individuals,[9][10][11] claiming to have access to classified information involving the Trump administration and its opponents in the United States. The user has falsely accused numerous liberal Hollywood actors, politicians, and high-ranking officials of engaging in an international child sex trafficking ring, and that Donald Trump feigned collusion with Russians to enlist Robert Mueller to join him in exposing the ring and preventing a coup d'état by Barack Obama, Hillary Clinton and George Soros.[12][13][14] "Q" is a reference to the top-secret Q clearance.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
QAnon[a] (/kjuːəˈnɒn/) is a far-right conspiracy theory[2][3][4][5][6] detailing a supposed secret plot by an alleged "deep state" against U.S. President Donald Trump and his supporters.[7] The theory began with an October 2017 post on the anonymous imageboard 4chan by someone using the tripcode Q, a presumably American[8] individual that may have later grown to include multiple individuals,[9][10][11] claiming to have access to classified information involving the Trump administration and its opponents in the United States. The user has falsely accused numerous liberal Hollywood actors, politicians, and high-ranking officials of engaging in an international child sex trafficking ring, and that Donald Trump feigned collusion with Russians to enlist Robert Mueller to join him in exposing the ring and preventing a coup d'état by Barack Obama, Hillary Clinton and George Soros.[12][13][14] "Q" is a reference to the top-secret Q clearance.
It’s even more mental than that. They’ve a bestselling book which claims that Democrats kill and eat children.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
There's some lookers in there.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
People are, largely, quite stupid, and when the President and his people talk about the "deep state" and tie themselves to thundercunts like Alex Jones it legitimises the nonsense they spout. That includes their racism and generally all encompassing bigotry as well as the ludicrous conspiracy theories such as this guff.

It's halfway laughable because they're so ridiculous and dumb but it's also dangerous because these are the groups that likely have among them the next 'lone wolf' type.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
People are, largely, quite stupid, and when the President and his people talk about the "deep state" and tie themselves to thundercunts like Alex Jones it legitimises the nonsense they spout. That includes their racism and generally all encompassing bigotry as well as the ludicrous conspiracy theories such as this guff.

It's halfway laughable because they're so ridiculous and dumb but it's also dangerous because these are the groups that likely have among them the next 'lone wolf' type.
It's even more dangerous than Lone Wolf. These people are starting to impact policy decision making cause the president wants them onside.

Drifter

American
All those years of reading the National Enquirer seems to be paying off.

Last edited:

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
It's basically Russiangate for conservatives, right ?
If basically means equating an official probe that's been authorized by the AG with a conspiracy theory that's been posted by some anonymous guy on the cesspool of the internet, then yes.

ChaddyP

At least religious faith can be explained as a way to cope with existential dread. That’s relatable. These turds are losing their fecking minds for what looks like no reason at all. Other than spending way to much time on the icky parts of the internet.
And this cult isn't doing exactly that? :lol:

Ian Reus

Ended 14 years of Grand National sweepstakes
At least religious faith can be explained as a way to cope with existential dread. That’s relatable. These turds are losing their fecking minds for what looks like no reason at all. Other than spending way to much time on the icky parts of the internet.
Sounds like the far right branch of flat earthers.

Aboutreika18

I think it's a natural progression of the 9/11 truthers and other weirdos that were largely relegated to YouTube about 10-12 years back but have spread like wildfire over the decade as social media became more and more prominent.

And Trump becoming President has only further empowered them.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
More people who don't think they fit into society so they cling on to weird little groups like this so they can have some purpose in their lives. Unfortunately the media getting horrendously worse means these people, flat earthers, anti-vaxxers and more have more of a platform now and therefore recruit more idiots. Bit worrying.

ChaddyP

Well no. They aren’t. Unless I’m missing something?
The followers of this belief are seeking to explain something they can't by reading the tea leaves and coming to grandiose conclusions not based on fact but based on what some anonymous person told them.

The "existential dread " for them is the government and deep state. They are the evil and corrupt. To deal with this Q has told them not to fear as trump will deal it with the help of Robert Mueller in some elaborate scheme to save the country from salvation. Exactly how is that different from any other religion.

It's simply a coping mechanism to help them feel the sun will come out tomorrow. Like when you die and you behave good and belive in the almighty you will go to fantastic place in the sky to love forever.

The name of the thread on 4chan is called the great awakening. That kind of tells you all you need to know. These people are angry confused and we'd this to help them to cope with all the evils they see.

Don't see how that is any different from any other religious belief .

Arruda

Love is in the air, everywhere I look around
Supports
Porto
Isn't there a chance that a large part of them is just taking the piss, sort of taking their bigotry to extreme levels as a deliberate provocation? A way of saying "don't try and reason with us".

I mean, they seem to be too happy for someone who believes your politic opponents are canibalizing children...

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Isn't there a chance that a large part of them is just taking the piss, sort of taking their bigotry to extreme levels as a deliberate provocation? A way of saying "don't try and reason with us".

I mean, they seem to be too happy for someone who believes your politic opponents are canibalizing children...
Isn't that a bit mental in itself. Why go to this length to ridicule yourself just to provoke someone?

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
The followers of this belief are seeking to explain something they can't by reading the tea leaves and coming to grandiose conclusions not based on fact but based on what some anonymous person told them.

The "existential dread " for them is the government and deep state. They are the evil and corrupt. To deal with this Q has told them not to fear as trump will deal it with the help of Robert Mueller in some elaborate scheme to save the country from salvation. Exactly how is that different from any other religion.

It's simply a coping mechanism to help them feel the sun will come out tomorrow. Like when you die and you behave good and belive in the almighty you will go to fantastic place in the sky to love forever.

The name of the thread on 4chan is called the great awakening. That kind of tells you all you need to know. These people are angry confused and we'd this to help them to cope with all the evils they see.

Don't see how that is any different from any other religious belief .
Well existential dread is about coping with the fact that one day we will no longer exist. You get one crack at existence and then ‘poof’ it’s all over. Forever. That’s heavy shit. You might be too young to feel the pinch yet but believe me, it gets kind of all consuming once the second half of life’s football match kicks off. Which is why ideologies that promise you an afterlife can seem appealing to even the most jaded cynic.

Compared to dealing with that, worrying about the possibility of government corruption is a fecking walk in the park. Nowhere near a big enough psychological trauma to start believing in the sort or drivel these eejits are liking and sharing.

ChaddyP

Well existential dread is about coping with the fact that one day we will no longer exist. You get one crack at existence and then ‘poof’ it’s all over. Forever. That’s heavy shit. You might be too young to feel the pinch yet but believe me, it gets kind of all consuming once the second half of life’s football match kicks off. Which is why ideologies that promise you an afterlife can seem appealing to even the most jaded cynic.

Compared to dealing with that, worrying about the possibility of government corruption is a fecking walk in the park. Nowhere near a big enough psychological trauma to start believing in the sort or drivel these eejits are liking and sharing.
I have always been of the impression that "existential dread" meant some scary/ sad /sombering reality that you are powerless to stop and that is inevitable. Coming to a reality that that all hope of stopping it is meaningless.

OK maybe they aren't promising after life :lol: but my comparison remains. They are promising hope and that all will be well in the end. I am not saying qanon is a religion. I'm just saying it's like one. They are giving hope to those without any.

But maybe I miss understood what you meant. If so I apologise

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
I have always been of the impression that "existential dread" meant some scary/ sad /sombering reality that you are powerless to stop and that is inevitable. Coming to a reality that that all hope of stopping it is meaningless.

OK maybe they aren't promising after life :lol: but my comparison remains. They are promising hope and that all will be well in the end. I am not saying qanon is a religion. I'm just saying it's like one. They are giving hope to those without any.

But maybe I miss understood what you meant. If so I apologise
No need to apologise! I’m just being an argumentative twat. That’s what I do.

And you’re right. When you take a step back, religious faith is about as mental as any other psychotic delusion. Just a lot more socially acceptable.

I just find it weird/fascinating to see so many people united around a recently created, obviously crazy, set of ideas. Kind of a mass hysteria. With MAGA hats.

GiddyUp

Only just heard of these eejits. What the feck like? These are real people, being flagrantly batshit mental in public. How does this happen?!
They all think they are woke to the devious machinations of the deep state and the devine plan of their TV God but these are the idiots that hand over all their financial details because they recieved an email telling them their antivirus has expired.

ChaddyP

No need to apologise! I’m just being an argumentative twat. That’s what I do.

And you’re right. When you take a step back, religious faith is about as mental as any other psychotic delusion. Just a lot more socially acceptable.

I just find it weird/fascinating to see so many people united around a recently created, obviously crazy, set of ideas. Kind of a mass hysteria. With MAGA hats.

No problem with that... I'm just being respectful because you're old and I feel sorry for old people :D

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Will Sommer has been doing very good reporting on them, and the alt-light in general.
I used to browse their reddit forum - r/thegreatawakening, unfortunately banned now, it was manic. They didn't have many subscribers but had a constant stream of posts and innovative theories.

What does Qanon give its followers? They give them the presidency Trump promised. Drain the swamp. Hillary in jail. MAGA. Destroy the cultural Marxist universities and press. How do you react when your inner fantasies get represented in a person, you enthusiastically push him to the most powerful office in the world -- and nothing changes? A nice and easy thing is to retreat to the fantasy that it has actually changed. Hillary has ankle bracelets and HW was actually executed at age 95.

From 2017ish

Minimalist

Least we know what Dave Rubin will be talking about in his interviews soon.

nimic

something nice
Scout
People believe what they want to believe. This is unfortunately the future for humanity with the prevalence of social media and a continuous undermining of academia.
It has been the case forever. Social media might have made them more visible, but these kinds of anti-rational movements have always existed. People are too quick to blame the internet and social media for these things.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Great subreddit. But realise now the world is actually fecked. We make progress as a society by each successive generation being slightly more left/progressive than the last. However the buck stops with these young 'uns. Complete and utter retards.