• Qatar

Votes: 961 62.8%
  • Ineos

Votes: 570 37.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Kinsella

Copy & Paste Merchant
Fair play. I hadn't observed this, so fair play to you.
It wouldn’t surprise me in any case. The connection to the club’s history and heritage and those considerations in respect of any takeover are always likely to be weaker the further removed you get. There’s probably a correlation with age too.

Just to let you know, I'm in England. God Save the Queen King (I still can't get used to this :( )
And I’m not from Manchester, not English or in England.

Last edited:

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Even if it does work out for them. It's not impressive and they way they've gone about it isn't anything I wan't out club to aspire to. Is there really anyone who cares one bit about PSG or respects them in any way?

I can appreciate the idea of investing in wider football but this is even more of a red flag for me. Last thing we need is people buying up everything and working towards a monopoly in the long term. That goes for INEOS too. If they ever do end up buying United, they should sell their stakes in Nice and Lausanne.
Are they smart owners? No they are not but the same can be said about ineos. At least the Qatari show real ambition in investing and want to be on top something ineos do not

Regarding the second point. I've showed you that qatar's interest in football is not waning, quite the contrary. I have my issues about multi ownership (pros and cons). However I am glad that QSI are ready to step in and buy malaga (if they do). That show their willingness to sort any mishaps done by one of their own. It also act as a safety net for us just in case jassim turns out to be an idiot

Kinsella

Copy & Paste Merchant
All good. But I'm not observing like you are, so I don't need to know where you're from. I see all United fans as one, irrespective of where their location is. :)
No problem. (Mods - can we get a thumbs up emoji?)

Chief123

I’ve observed what I said in the post and would be interested to see if it’s borne out by the facts. In other words, I’d like to see if there actually is such a connection.
As we have no stats on each persons location, it’s all speculative. I believe majority of people on this forum are Irish as that’s where the forum was founded. If you regard them as “foreign”, then that’s a totally different angle. I’m pro Qatar and I live around the corner from Old Trafford. I don’t think my vote or opinion is any higher or lower than a foreign fan.

red thru&thru

It wouldn’t surprise me in any case. The connection to the club’s history and heritage and those considerations in respect of any takeover are always likely to be weaker the further removed you get. There’s probably a correlation with age too.
I didn't understand this. Could you please elaborate.

Member 125398

As we have no stats on each persons location, it’s all speculative. I believe majority of people on this forum are Irish as that’s where the forum was founded. If you regard them as “foreign”, then that’s a totally different angle. I’m pro Qatar and I live around the corner from Old Trafford. I don’t think my vote or opinion is any higher or lower than a foreign fan.
Quite a lot of American and Scandi too surely? The poll is a fairly accurate reflection imo. I reckon it'd be a similar result if you took it outside OT on a matchday.

red thru&thru

Yeah, pretty confusing to think why this would matter?

red thru&thru

Quite a lot of American and Scandi too surely? The poll is a fairly accurate reflection imo. I reckon it'd be a similar result if you took it outside OT on a matchday.
What will be telling is, when there is a preferred buyer, what the reaction to that will be at OT.

If the fans of United do not want either Jassim or SJR, they will make their feelings known, just as we did to the potential Murdoch and Glazer takeovers.

Dan_F

Yeah I think there is a big divide between match going fans and non match going fans on a lot topics, but I’m really not sure there is on this one. There’s plenty of support for Qatar in the stadium, I would say a lot of it is due to wanting the Glazers out so badly.

That said, I’m convinced that 95% of the people with Qatar flags in their names on social media are non match going fans. That’s weird behaviour.

Chief123

Yeah I think there is a big divide between match going fans and non match going fans on a lot topics, but I’m really not sure there is on this one. There’s plenty of support for Qatar in the stadium, I would say a lot of it is due to wanting the Glazers out so badly.

That said, I’m convinced that 95% of the people with Qatar flags in their names on social media are non match going fans. That’s weird behaviour.
More than 95% of Man Utd fans are not match going fans.

Dan_F

More than 95% of Man Utd fans are not match going fans.
Do you want to re-read what I said? If 95% of the people with Qatar flags in their names are non match going fans, that doesn’t mean that 95% of United’s fans are non match going.

red thru&thru

How do we get the results out to Jassim, and SJR, about how majority of the Cafe wants Jassim's bid?

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I think it would be interesting to poll again. I voted for JR, but I can't decide as is if he's partnering with the Glazers. People love to explain that it won't have any baring on the running of the club - a needless explanation. And then you wonder, at his age, what's the future plan - what are his children/associates like, what are their intentions?

The hopeful narrative being spun is that it would be such a passion project for him and he'd never dream to have his name tarnished because he fecked up at supposedly his boyhood club, but even so - a best case scenario were he to take over - who takes over from him? He's not far off the age SAF retired from football.

While with the Jassim bid, it's hard to know anything really. It seems likelier that money will be thrown around willy nilly, but if it's as misguided as PSG then that's a significant concern. Is he fronting a state bid? Is there any chance he's a private individual in this sense?

And the pair of them might have the hubris to want to meddle like Boehly and ruin things.

Have there been any hints about what either bidder will do about debt, infrastructure, player acquisition? I seem to recall that Jassim wanted to make United the best club in the world and Ratcliffe wanting to put the "Manchester back in Manchester United", which is a hilarious mismatch. Anything further to go by?

Eddy_JukeZ

I think it would be interesting to poll again. I voted for JR, but I can't decide as is if he's partnering with the Glazers. People love to explain that it won't have any baring on the running of the club - a needless explanation. And then you wonder, at his age, what's the future plan - what are his children/associates like, what are their intentions?

The hopeful narrative being spun is that it would be such a passion project for him and he'd never dream to have his name tarnished because he fecked up at supposedly his boyhood club, but even so - a best case scenario were he to take over - who takes over from him? He's not far off the age SAF retired from football.

While with the Jassim bid, it's hard to know anything really. It seems likelier that money will be thrown around willy nilly, but if it's as misguided as PSG then that's a significant concern. Is he fronting a state bid? Is there any chance he's a private individual in this sense?

And the pair of them might have the hubris to want to meddle like Boehly and ruin things.

Have there been any hints about what either bidder will do about debt, infrastructure, player acquisition? I seem to recall that Jassim wanted to make United the best club in the world and Ratcliffe wanting to put the "Manchester back in Manchester United", which is a hilarious mismatch. Anything further to go by?
Jassim has pledged to clear the debt and heavily invest in the surrounding infrastructure regarding United.

Ratcliffe hasn't said anything about clearing debts and investing in the infrastructure.

From the reports I've seen.

Infra-red

Jassim has pledged to clear the debt and heavily invest in the surrounding infrastructure regarding United.

Ratcliffe hasn't said anything about clearing debts and investing in the infrastructure.

From the reports I've seen.
This is an accurate summary of the information in the public domain. Qatar have seemingly pledged £800m of investment, spread across OT, Carrington and the local area. They have also said they will clear all existing debt. Ineos (or their representatives) have 'leaked' that they will not place any "new" debt on the club as part of the acquisition - what happens with the existing debt and OT if Ineos are successful, is anyone's guess.

The caveat is that all we (as fans) actually have to go on is snippets from PR fluff pieces. Nobody has publicly promised anything at this stage. Hopefully, once one of the bids wins, we'll get some meat on these bones.

AlPistacho

All we have to judge and extrapolate from is the bid statements, actions since November and Jim’s current clubs Nice and Lussane.

The issues you mention about Jim’s age and children. For Jassim the equivalent would be we don’t really know what he’s like, or what his siblings are like. I think he has 8. How many of them will be involved?

From what we’ve heard in the Bloomberg interview. The Dad has the money. He’s not really into football (maybe good) but will do it for his kids and to set an example to Qatar about families working together. But it has to be the right investment. Hence why they are not just bidding £6b.

As others and myself has mentioned Qatar is different to the U.K. It he buys it, the whole country will be behind it. I personally don’t think it’s a state bid, check my posts, but I’ve always said the state won’t let him fail. Eg if he needs £3b instead of £1b to build the stadium he’ll get it on favourable terms.

TheRedHearted

You’ve perfectly summed up the concerns to be honest. Who knows, Qatar could run us like psg or run us like city, hopefully barr the 150 charges.
And ratcliff could piss the bed and be an old man who would try to meddle

There’s no way we can know so it’s best we stop driving ourselves crazy. Let’s wait to see who gets the bid
Spoiler alert
Glazers won’t sell

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
I want a full sale and there is only one option so no choice for me, not that our current owners care less and I dont think they want to leave so i think we will go to SJR

Tango80

I think SJR would probably win.

I'm a lot less sure about Jassim now - a lot of his briefings are to the fans, but the fans aren't the ones selling the club. Plus the issues with Malaga (owned by an al Thani) make me a bit unsure.

Most people aren't blinded by the big pot of money and just want a good owner. Will we ever see Jassim turn up to games at OT? Probably less so than the Glazers. If it all goes tits up, how do you protest against someone you're not sure even exists?

ROFLUTION

All we have to judge and extrapolate from is the bid statements, actions since November and Jim’s current clubs Nice and Lussane.

The issues you mention about Jim’s age and children. For Jassim the equivalent would be we don’t really know what he’s like, or what his siblings are like. I think he has 8. How many of them will be involved?

From what we’ve heard in the Bloomberg interview. The Dad has the money. He’s not really into football (maybe good) but will do it for his kids and to set an example to Qatar about families working together. But it has to be the right investment. Hence why they are not just bidding £6b.

As others and myself has mentioned Qatar is different to the U.K. It he buys it, the whole country will be behind it. I personally don’t think it’s a state bid, check my posts, but I’ve always said the state won’t let him fail. Eg if he needs £3b instead of £1b to build the stadium he’ll get it on favourable terms.
Of that we do know something - That they have ran Malaga into the ground.

There's a veeeery good chance a member of the family is just a front for a statebacked bid, so the point is it could be the same people who promise much, and deliver nothing albeit a bigger club would probably make them more committed to not fail so hard, as it'd damage their reputation quite a lot.

dinostar77

Why would anyone want ratcliffe to win, when he would allow the glazers to stay on. If you want the glazers out get them out, lock stock and barrel. Out is out, not some bullcrap halfway house.

MancunianAngels

Supports
FC United
Why would anyone want ratcliffe to win, when he would allow the glazers to stay on. If you want the glazers out get them out, lock stock and barrel. Out is out, not some bullcrap halfway house.
Why would anyone want the greatest football club in the world to be turned into a state sponsored sport washing project?

Smores

I find it odd people have complained about the Glazers taking money out of the club for over a decade now and yet some of you are so eager to give them an extra billion or so.

I couldn't give a bull crap as long as they have no control. The club could do with that money and make no mistake the new owner having to spend billions to get rid of them will impact the level of initial investments.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Of that we do know something - That they have ran Malaga into the ground.
On Saturday, the side lost 1-0 to Atletico Madrid, leaving Los Boquerones seven points adrift from safety at the bottom of Spain’s La Liga with just 13 points from 23 games. Among Europe’s biggest five leagues, only Italy’s Benevento, a provincial team playing its first season of top-flight football, has a worse record.
Funny how this gets glossed over and yet there’s literally hundreds of posts lamenting the sheer horror of Nice not qualifying for the Champions League.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Funny how this gets glossed over and yet there’s literally hundreds of posts lamenting the sheer horror of Nice not qualifying for the Champions League.
That's because INEOS clearly own Nice and are bidding for Man United

Sheikh Jassim is not the owner of Malaga - stereotyping people because they happen to come from the same country is not cool

BuzzKillington

Sheikh Jassim is not the owner of Malaga - stereotyping people because they happen to come from the same country is not cool
They happen to come from the same family, do you separate the Glazers and view some of them more positively than others? Is it not cool to view the Glazers collectively as leeches?

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
They happen to come from the same family, do you separate the Glazers and view some of them more positively than others? Is it not cool to view the Glazers collectively as leeches?
No it's not the same family at all - do you think everyone called Smith is the same family ?

Pure ignorance

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
They come from the same family. Do you have an issue with people using “the Glazers” as a one size fits all term?
No they don't

I assume you understand that there are many people in the world with the surname Glazer who have nothing to do with the family who own our club ?

BuzzKillington

romufc

Why would anyone want the greatest football club in the world to be turned into a state sponsored sport washing project?
I love how people just use the word sportwashing because the buyers are from the middle east.

Fans preferring the club to rot under the Glazers and SJR because he will be taking out loans and not clearing the debt, no news about the stadium or and infrastructure changes.

A buyer is willing to put that right, improve our infrastructure, stadium, playing squad but because they are from Qatar, its called sportswashing.

ROFLUTION

Why would you throw stereotyping into this? Both bids/takeovers are state backed, so it puts some questions over this take over will be any different or run just as unprofessional as Malaga.

Could the same mechanisms and structure of running a club happen with a state backed bid for United? That's only a fair question to ask.

Edit: Malaga is in the third tier of the spanish league system now.

It makes no sense to not question a take over like that at all and just blindly believe in the promises the family/statebacked bid makes about a new stadion, new signings, how they go about business, etc when all those areas has taken Malaga down to third tier football in spain (!).

Last edited:

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Why would you throw stereotyping into this? Both bids/takeovers are state backed, so it puts some questions over this take over will be any different or run just as unprofessional as Malaga.

Could the same mechanisms and structure of running a club happen with a state backed bid for United? That's only a fair question to ask.
You think Malaga, who are in severe financial difficulty, are state backed ?!
Of course not - in fact QSI (who are the state entity who own PSG) are looking to buy them

It really is dodgy stereotyping to put anyone who happens to come from Qatar in the same boat

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Yes but we’re not talking about an El Thani who has nothing do with the potential new owner of our club.
Yes

The Glazers are siblings, their father bought the club - clearly the same family

These 2 Al Thani's might be some kind of distant relatives but to call it the same family is ridiculous

There are more than 20,000 Al Thani's from Qatar - are they all the same family?