Qatar WC | Fans and Atmosphere Watch

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
How can attendance higher than capacity and with stadium not even full? Qataris are doing more damage to their own reputation by being this desperate

NYAS

Don't forget "Football is so popular in Kerala they beat each other up about South American rivalries, Indians will fill all the seats", or something like that...
:lol: You’re trying too hard here man. Which of the Netherlands and Senegal is a South American nation?

RacingClub

Supports
Racing Club
Do they class clapping your hands in delight as offensive?
Nah I'm just joking around about the perception that the Ecuadorian fan from yesterday would have been physically assaulted if he made that gesture in a European stadium.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
How can attendance higher than capacity and with stadium not even full? Qataris are doing more damage to their own reputation by being this desperate
Where are attendance stats published?

Think the stadium was 70-80% full.

Monks_United

Don't forget "Football is so popular in Kerala they beat each other up about South American rivalries, Indians will fill all the seats", or something like that...
Then they should've just held the tournament in India. At the very least, it would have been a far better atmosphere.

Eplel

This WC will go down in history as the worst PR football disaster ever.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
I'm not denying thats true but it definitely looked worse than that on tv.
Yeah at the start there were so many empty seats but I think that was because of ticket system issues. For a group game I think the attendance was normal.

90 + 5min

Sorry but I actually laughed a little bit. For all the talk here about fans from Kerala there aren't as much to fill stadiums as we were told in here.

If I heard correctly they are counting everyone in the stadium. Even those who are not fans. But I might have heard wrong. Someone else might have better answer.

tomaldinho1

She's lucky that she didn't try that in a European stadium, where she probably would have been throttled to within an inch of her life.
:lol: I assume this is a parody of the poster who said the Ecuadorean guy would have got his face ‘smashed in’

Edit. Seen the above

Ludens the Red

:lol: Oh man I remember that discussion. Just gone to revisit the posts and they’re a feckin laugh. Every Indian I know going to Qatar… western cluelessness… some right gems in there ..
https://www.redcafe.net/threads/2022-world-cup-qatar-thread.440033/page-13#post-28663380

@Mshafeek was giving it large, wonder what his thoughts are now three games in?

Last edited:

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
The atmosphere is a joke. Fecking shambles that you can't fill half a stadium for the most popular sporting event in the world.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Most of it is around human rights, that's a harsh take.
Nah there is huge negativity about everything not just human rights - just read this thread!

some of the criticism is warranted but much of it is not even true (e.g. calling the local Indian supporters of other countries fake/paid etc)

As I said before in this thread there is often a lot of controversy pretournament even at past World Cups but in the end most fans who actually go enjoy it and that seems to be the majority feedback coming back so far

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
Nah there is huge negativity about everything not just human rights - just read this thread!

some of the criticism is warranted but much of it is not even true (e.g. calling the local Indian supporters of other countries fake/paid etc)

As I said before in this thread there is often a lot of controversy pretournament even at past World Cups but in the end most fans who actually go enjoy it and that seems to be the majority feedback coming back so far
Yeah, I suppose but personally I'm glad the protests on behalf of the workers and LGBT didn't just fade when a ball was kicked, if anything it seems to be ramped up which I think is actually a hugely positive thing for humanity, and if that's at the expense of some people's world cup buzz being ruined then that's totally fine by me.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I'm sorry, but this smells like the usual "anonymous sources are telling me exactly what everyone wants to hear" you get every time when something is going on that a lot of people don't like. Without fail.

MDFC Manager

I'm sorry, but this smells like the usual "anonymous sources are telling me exactly what everyone wants to hear" you get every time when something is going on that a lot of people don't like. Without fail.
Even if true, sounds like the personal opinion of one person rather than the consensus in the regime

RacingClub

Supports
Racing Club
Kind of but all their recent actions do remind me of someone who invites you to their home and then does everything in their power to make you want to leave as soon as possible.

Tarrou

Probably given away tickets to sponsors and locals who haven't turned up, it is sold out though as you have to go through a reseller now to get tickets.
I think it’s this. The wales and USA ends are both packed full in this match, but the seats right behind the dugout (best in the house basically) are half empty..

dugilrath

Supports
Forest
It may seem like the World Cup is a PR disaster from the perspective of the UK and Northern Europe more generally, but in Eastern Europe and Southern Europe the reporting will be very different (even in France, check out what Macron has been saying). That's before you move to South America, Africa, Asia - the assumption that they share our concerns re workers or gay rights is extremely naive.

It's highly likely that the World Cup in the end will project significant soft power as intended by Qatar. And in fact the beer incident and the armband farrago have shown how happy FIFA and the Qataris are to stick their middle finger up to Europe and the US. Much of the world will applaud it.

Reactions: 711

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Yeah, I suppose but personally I'm glad the protests on behalf of the workers and LGBT didn't just fade when a ball was kicked, if anything it seems to be ramped up which I think is actually a hugely positive thing for humanity, and if that's at the expense of some people's world cup buzz being ruined then that's totally fine by me.
I've said all along that I believe the World Cup will help to progress human rights in the region and I'm happy to see the issues continue to be pushed

But this thread is mostly moaning from armchair fans based on nonsense on Twitter whereas reports from those on the ground are mostly positive thus far

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
I've said all along that I believe the World Cup will help to progress human rights in the region and I'm happy to see the issues continue to be pushed

But this thread is mostly moaning from armchair fans based on nonsense on Twitter whereas reports from those on the ground are mostly positive thus far
That progress won't come without the 'moaning', the last few u-turns and shows of strength over the armbands show that.

That most of the people who could afford to go are enjoying the capitalist haven that is Doha, that's not a shock. Doesn't come near addressing or delegitimising the opposition. In fact it's not related at all.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
So was the story that Qatar banned Jewish prayer fake? If not, how is there not even more outrage. Hard to dsicriminate more blatantly than this.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
That progress won't come without the 'moaning', the last few u-turns and shows of strength over the armbands show that.

That most of the people who could afford to go are enjoying the capitalist haven that is Doha, that's not a shock. Doesn't come near addressing or delegitimising the opposition. In fact it's not related at all.
None of of the moaning here will progress anything!
In case you hadn't noticed this is a thread about fans and atmosphere with lots of nonsense posted not human rights

You say it's not a shock that most people in Qatar are enjoying the WC but it's certainly a shock to many in this thread !

cyberman

When has a World Cup ever progressed anything? Is Russia a progressive paradise now?

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
I think it’s this. The wales and USA ends are both packed full in this match, but the seats right behind the dugout (best in the house basically) are half empty..
Ye sad to see those empty seats in a high demand game that is actually sold out

Seen this at other sporting events where sponsor tickets go unused - it's a disgrace really

MDFC Manager

Ye sad to see those empty seats in a high demand game that is actually sold out

Seen this at other sporting events where sponsor tickets go unused - it's a disgrace really
Guesswork - sponsors got a load of tickets but with the accommodation prices and unavailability, they didn't get people in. Poor stuff in any case