Qatar WC | Fans and Atmosphere Watch

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
You'll be a busy man opposing the nonsense on redcafe!

You are a constant voice in a few of the threads, and usually playing down opposition. And while the title of this thread does look like nonsense I don't think the overall fact that people have issues is, and even in this thread there are valid issues.

I'm in those threads too but because I feel very strongly about the issue.
Well that much is obvious by now!

But I think you misunderstood me - I don't think this thread is nonsense, in fact I'm very interested to see how the fan culture and atmosphere at the first ever Middle Eastern World Cup plays out

And so far from what I've seen and heard from actual football fans on the ground in Qatar, it's been a positive start to the tournament. which of course goes completely against the overwhelmingly negative view that you get by reading most of the posts in this thread

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff

But I think you misunderstood me - I don't think this thread is nonsense, in fact I'm very interested to see how the fan culture and atmosphere at the first ever Middle Eastern World Cup plays out

And so far from what I've seen and heard from actual football fans on the ground in Qatar, it's been a positive start to the tournament. which of course goes completely against the overwhelmingly negative view that you get by reading most of the posts in this thread
On that we agree, I love football, and especially the working class origins and accessibility of the sport, jumpers for goalposts etc. I also really enjoy how international teams have a definite cultural identity and adore the concept of world cups. That's why the context of this world cup depresses me and especially why the doubling down by Qatar and and Fifa in the last few days has made slim hopes of progress fade a little bit.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
Mistaking people who look similar isn't racism, unless you add extra stuff to it, like certain adjectives.

As someone who looks middle eastern when i don't shave for 2 months, i have been mistaken for cuban,armenian,arab,greek,turkish,etc when traveling to other countries such as USA,Japan,Australia,Korea,Canada, Brazil,etc...never got mad about it, cause i know that can happen, cause i myself have mistaken spanish and italian people, polish and russian people ,dutch and german people, cause they can look very similar.

It can be a bit annoying at some point, but not racist. A bit of ignorance?...yeah maybe, but that's it.

To begin with, you kinda need to have a similar looking background to look like another nationality, nobody is gonna mistake Jackie Chan for Snoop Dogg.
That's not what I'm taking about. I've seen specific racist comments online about Arabs not just mistaken identity.

The mistaken identity stuff is ignorance. Assuming every Arab looking guy in traditional clothes is some rich sheikh etc

devil99

Don't forget "Football is so popular in Kerala they beat each other up about South American rivalries, Indians will fill all the seats", or something like that...
Did I miss Argentina vs Brazil yesterday? Nobody claimed fans from Kerala are going to fill up every match.

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause

Keen to know your sources here.

Sweet Square

This American guy is vlogging his time at the World Cup. Seems to be a good example of the fan experience.

Looks very makeshift and unprepared but football fans are making the best of it and having a good time.

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
This American guy is vlogging his time at the World Cup. Seems to be a good example of the fan experience.

Looks very makeshift and unprepared but football fans are making the best of it and having a good time.
I must say, in particular that second video, it really does look like fans are just making the most of it having spent lots of money to be there. But, that really is a shame because it seems like they’re having fun in spite of what’s available to them and not because of it. Like in the second video it’s just open area and it’s so dark. There just seems to be space and nothingness. That isn’t what the fan experience should be, but good on the fans for making the most of it. But it’s also why I’m hesitant to assume that it must all be good and dandy there just because fans are having fun - because they could be making the most of it as it seems here, rather than being actually provided a high quality, positive experience.

bk1991

First bit of good atmosphere was during the Wales match after Bale's penalty. Stadiums have been pretty dead other than that. I suppose it is just the first match of the first round so no jeopardy involved to psych up the crowd. Will be interesting to see if things improve as the tournament progresses and we get to the do or die matches?

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
First bit of good atmosphere was during the Wales match after Bale's penalty. Stadiums have been pretty dead other than that. I suppose it is just the first match of the first round so no jeopardy involved to psych up the crowd. Will be interesting to see if things improve as the tournament progresses and we get to the do or die matches?
The atmosphere in Argentina and Brazil matches should be pretty good. Arab fans don't really chant though.

fck

Supports
Bayern
Oh boy, so we just need Brazil vs Argentina to have good atmosphere?

MDFC Manager

I’m inclined to believe someone who actually was there over randomers taking cheap shots on the internet.
Strange, some on here were saying the stadium was half empty for this game. Doesn't look like it from the video there

Sweet Square

I must say, in particular that second video, it really does look like fans are just making the most of it having spent lots of money to be there. But, that really is a shame because it seems like they’re having fun in spite of what’s available to them and not because of it. Like in the second video it’s just open area and it’s so dark. There just seems to be space and nothingness. That isn’t what the fan experience should be, but good on the fans for making the most of it. But it’s also why I’m hesitant to assume that it must all be good and dandy there just because fans are having fun - because they could be making the most of it as it seems here, rather than being actually provided a high quality, positive experience.
Yeah when fans are dancing over 4 cups of beer, you know they are making the best of a bad situation. I did come away from the videos thinking wtf did Qatar spend the money on ?

The stadiums look extremely basic(Atm also clearly too big as they can’t get close to full capacity), the fan infrastructure looks like it could be pulled down all within a few days and your right about the nothingness. Everything seems so far away, just massive walking gaps on empty roads.Maybe it was just this one fan zone but like where are the local shops, housing or landmarks ?

It really does seem like they’ve built everything in the middle of a desert away from the rest of the country. The tournament seems to have a PS2 Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas vibe.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Did I miss Argentina vs Brazil yesterday? Nobody claimed fans from Kerala are going to fill up every match.

see:
Fortunately even if the whole of europe were to boycott, it wouldn't affect the WC's success, because most asians are well and truly on board and for many of the most populated countries in the world, this is the most accessible WC ever.
It was by no means fake fans. And I know many fellow Indians who has bought tickets to watch WC and Infact still searching for more tickets to go.
I’m going to watch my first World Cup with family. This might not have been possible if I wasnt living just an hours flight away from Qatar.
The amount of expacts from Kerala who live in Middle East counts in millions. Add the football fanatics from Goa and other South Indian states, Kolkata and north East Indian states and Bangladesh this will be huge fan base.

Participation will be amazing for Qatar World Cup . The stadiums will be full even for the matches between less popular nations.
Hope it turns out to be a wonderful World Cup atleast for the sake of fans who wants to be a part of it.

RoyH1

Yeah when fans are dancing over 4 cups of beer, you know they are making the best of a bad situation. I did come away from the videos thinking wtf did Qatar spend the money on ?

The stadiums look extremely basic(Atm also clearly too big as they can’t get close to full capacity), the fan infrastructure looks like it could be pulled down all within a few days and your right about the nothingness. Everything seems so far away, just massive walking gaps on empty roads.Maybe it was just this one fan zone but like where are the local shops, housing or landmarks ?

It really does seem like they’ve built everything in the middle of a desert away from the rest of the country. The tournament seems to have a PS2 Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas vibe.
I have the same feeling too. When I read that it cost 220 billion euros I have to ask myself where the money went? Does that amount include airports, public transport and a lot of other infrastructure as well? Or are bribes to FIFA brass really that steep nowadays?

redcucumber

Basically everything written and said thus far has been about how it hasn't gone to plan. Fans not being able to get in to the ground for kick-off because of ticketing issues, thousands leaving at half-time, people being denied access because of what they are wearing. It doesn't sound like a complete disaster but I'd hardly describe it as a positive start.

NYAS

I’m inclined to believe someone who actually was there over randomers taking cheap shots on the internet.
Propaganda. They were all paid fans from Kerala wearing blonde wigs.

MDFC Manager

I have the same feeling too. When I read that it cost 220 billion euros I have to ask myself where the money went? Does that amount include airports, public transport and a lot of other infrastructure as well? Or are bribes to FIFA brass really that steep nowadays?
Think it includes the infra. I was there in 2016 and they were building brand new metro rail network and the airport was being expanded as well

tomaldinho1

Strange, some on here were saying the stadium was half empty for this game. Doesn't look like it from the video there
Hasn’t everyone said that was first game which had a good atmosphere? USA always one of the bigger ticket buying nations and Wales fans always turn out well.

It’s not going to be a problem at most games given the stadiums mostly aren’t that massive (looks like most are around 40k) and the major countries bring big contingents of fans with them. Obviously Iran isn’t going to bring massive swathes of supporters but in that group ENG/US and ENG/WAL will be loud I have no doubt!

fck

Supports
Bayern
Ok I guess we have different standards for the atmosphere then. Even the USA vs Wales game was Ok but nothing to write home about or maybe it was my TV feed.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Ok I guess we have different standards for the atmosphere then. Even the USA vs Wales game was Ok but nothing to write home about or maybe it was my TV feed.
TV doesn't always reflect what's going on in the ground atmosphere wise - all depends where mics are placed.

Looks like there is decent atmosphere coming from behind the goals where most fans from abroad end up but the neutral sections along the sides look bland - much like Old Trafford, Wembley etc really

Last edited:

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Keen to know your sources here.
I know a couple of people out there

If you go through this thread ignoring all the moaning from posters who sound like they have never been to a tournament in their lives and actually watch the videos from Qatar then the majority seem to be having a good time to me

Early days though so let's see how things progress

Basically everything written and said thus far has been about how it hasn't gone to plan. Fans not being able to get in to the ground for kick-off because of ticketing issues, thousands leaving at half-time, people being denied access because of what they are wearing. It doesn't sound like a complete disaster but I'd hardly describe it as a positive start.
Yes there are issues but is that the majority experience? I think not

seems the same problems with Bluetooth tickets that created problems at CL Final - hopefully they get that sorted

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
:lol: I wonder if this guy had any problems getting in to the stadium

Ah yes, those proud days when Europe thought “Hey, let’s go and slaughter a bunch of folk and force Christendom on heretics” a few times. That’ll show how forward thinking we are.

therealtboy

Supports
Feyenoord
I know a couple of people out there

If you go through this thread ignoring all the moaning from posters who sound like they have never been to a tournament in their lives and actually watch the videos from Qatar then the majority seem to be having a good time to me

Early days though so let's see how things progress

Yes there are issues but is that the majority experience? I think not

seems the same problems with Bluetooth tickets that created problems at CL Final - hopefully they get that sorted
I’m out in Qatar and I’ve chosen to keep as quiet as possible and let the agenda riders moan all they want in this thread. Was at the Holland game and it was an awesome atmosphere. Was at the Ecuador game too and that was fantastic. The fan festivals are amazing, there is beer served there (expensive) but it didn’t stop many from consuming. Everyone here is having a good time, seems those that aren’t are the ones not here.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
I’m out in Qatar and I’ve chosen to keep as quiet as possible and let the agenda riders moan all they want in this thread. Was at the Holland game and it was an awesome atmosphere. Was at the Ecuador game too and that was fantastic. The fan festivals are amazing, there is beer served there (expensive) but it didn’t stop many from consuming. Everyone here is having a good time, seems those that aren’t are the ones not here.
Great to hear - don't keep quiet, getting updates from those actually there is the best way to silence the moaners !

Arg-KSA looks jam packed.
2 of the biggest followings at this World Cup - shitloads of Mexicans are there too apparently for the later game

Withnail

Was the atmosphere amazing at the Ecuador game until half time when the stadium emptied?

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
This is the first game where the atmosphere has sounded really good.

Noise when that Saudi goal went in sounded great.

fck

Supports
Bayern
I can't watch this game but going by the highlights the atmosphere seems to be very good.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
I posted in the natchday thread this game the stadium has been rocking, when the goals went in the noise was incredible and they've stayed with it the whole game too
Yeah great atmosphere today. Pro Saudi crowd too

Parma Dewol

I thought Wales vs. USA was rocking. Argentina vs. Saudi Arabia is on another level. Epic.