Qatar WC | Fans and Atmosphere Watch

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
I just pulled the two nearest posts but I was speaking in general,, even about attendance figures being questioned by journalists.. Photos are as dubious as any non first hand source, and easy to stage but you are playing a stormer as an ambassador!
Plenty of videos too!
And the attendance thing has been explained in the relevant thread - the sad thing is that there seems to be a lot of prime corporate/VIP seats that are officially 'sold' but unused every game, this is a massive waste especially in the sold out matches. Seen similar in a lot of big sports events unfortunately

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
Plenty of videos too!
And the attendance thing has been explained in the relevant thread - the sad thing is that there seems to be a lot of prime corporate/VIP seats that are officially 'sold' but unused every game, this is a massive waste especially in the sold out matches. Seen similar in a lot of big sports events unfortunately

Yeah, I'm enjoying the peeking over the fence intrigue, ironically you get a better view of the discourse with zero first hand info.

hp88

the sound has been way off.

I don’t know if it’s a bbc/itv issue but the crowd will be quiet then all of a sudden loud Even if nothings happening.
Think they might be doing for games which are lacking atmosphere.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Have to say I did not see Saudi Arabia emerging as the peoples’ team at this World Cup.

Tony247

Odd to see people sitting and watching football match as if they are watching a movie in cinema hall.

klayton88

yeah 100%, they’ve got the balance all wrong as when it does get turned up you cant even hear the commentators. I find myself having to turn the TV up and down constantly.

I’ve just turned it onto TSN which is a Canadian channel (I have iptv) and the sound is fine on that so it does seem it’s a uk channel thing.
So compared to your TSN steam would you say the atmosphere on the UK broadcast's is amplified? Is the atmosphere generally shitter in the grounds than we are seeing on tv?

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
So compared to your TSN steam would you say the atmosphere on the UK broadcast's is amplified? Is the atmosphere generally shitter in the grounds than we are seeing on tv?
it just sounded like a normal game on tsn no huge spikes in volume. I’m watching the Brazil game now on a NZ channel and again it’s fine on that.

bbc/itv are definitely doing something to amplify the sound.

RacingClub

Supports
Racing Club
Am I being weird or is this… an entirely unexceptional reaction?

Or moreover, exactly the reaction you’d expect/get in most stadiums.
Nope you aren't being weird at all, in fact it would be extremely strange for fans of a team not to go crazy if their keeper saves a penalty.

Mexican fans are extremely passionate / loud / travel well so I would have been shocked if they didn't create an atmosphere.

68cob

This American guy is vlogging his time at the World Cup. Seems to be a good example of the fan experience.
Looks very makeshift and unprepared but football fans are making the best of it and having a good time.
I've been watching Volpe's channels for a few months now. He seems to stumble across quite a few Indians supporting other countries in Qatar. The Argentina 'fans' are funny, as they only know the word Messi when he tries to get their predictions.

NYAS

Am I being weird or is this… an entirely unexceptional reaction?

Or moreover, exactly the reaction you’d expect/get in most stadiums.
I’d say that’s exactly the point of the post. To show that it’s a pretty standard atmosphere. There are people on this forum who genuinely think every fan in Qatar is either a bribed migrant worker, or a cardboard cut-out.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Other than the big elephant, most of the issues in this thread stems from "journalists" with the credibility of twitter handler with 100 followers and less than 1k replies.

Most of the accusations are ill informed at best and total fabrication at worst, it's hard to take a stance against something that's fabricated. Things like Fake fans, paid fans, journalist getting "harassed" while they're probably just told nicely to film somewhere else, careful editing, which is typical for clickbait journalism.

Not to mention when the fact is made clear that there is no "Bribe" for Ecuador to lose the game, nothing... nothing is being said, not even an apology, not even a credibility check on the first dude that spawns this accusations. It's as if throw everything until it sticks.

Frankly it's tiring. I've seen full stadium of fans enjoying their team plays. If you feel you want to boycott it, be my guess. I'm not. I'm enjoying this world cup

Fluctuation0161

Other than the big elephant, most of the issues in this thread stems from "journalists" with the credibility of twitter handler with 100 followers and less than 1k replies.

Most of the accusations are ill informed at best and total fabrication at worst, it's hard to take a stance against something that's fabricated. Things like Fake fans, paid fans, journalist getting "harassed" while they're probably just told nicely to film somewhere else, careful editing, which is typical for clickbait journalism.

Not to mention when the fact is made clear that there is no "Bribe" for Ecuador to lose the game, nothing... nothing is being said, not even an apology, not even a credibility check on the first dude that spawns this accusations. It's as if throw everything until it sticks.

Frankly it's tiring. I've seen full stadium of fans enjoying their team plays. If you feel you want to boycott it, be my guess. I'm not. I'm enjoying this world cup
Sportswashing complete. The elephant in the room is pretty big tbh.

ROFLUTION

… Said the poster who also believed Uighurs being sent into camps in China was fake

Hanks

Qatari stewards confronting Iranian fans who hold "Woman Life Freedom" flags...asking them not to wave it.

My uncle was ordered to hand in his Lion and Sun flag pre-match in order to be allowed in to. Qatar is working very closely with Islamic Republic regime to clamp hard on any display of support for Iran uprising.

BarstoolProphet

Japan taking that crown so far ...

I was at a Japan-Greece in Brazil in 2014 and they did the same then also. Also they were cleaning up the beaches which was in total contrast to the rowdy Americans the week before.

poleglass red

Plenty of videos too!
Yeah seen that, it's sad, as a lot of these stadiums aren't that huge, 6 of them around the 40k mark. Big chunks of seats in the middle are very visible in almost every game I've seen.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
Qatari stewards confronting Iranian fans who hold "Woman Life Freedom" flags...asking them not to wave it.

My uncle was ordered to hand in his Lion and Sun flag pre-match in order to be allowed in to. Qatar is working very closely with Islamic Republic regime to clamp hard on any display of support for Iran uprising.

Should also post this in the Boycott thread for sure.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Japan taking that crown so far ...

I swear, theres video's of the Japanese cleaning up at every major international tournie, even the Euro's.

Joking aside its great to see, such a respectful group when you see the state of the area's here after concerts, matches and festivals.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd

Feck 'em and everything they stand for.

Someone I know told me earlier today that a dear friend of his had been killed by Iranian security forces. I ran into him by accident and he seemed very distressed, so I asked him if he was alright. Which he wasn't, of course.

Again, feck 'em and everything they stand for.

Pintu

How credible is this?

Everyone can start an acquisition just by a tweet these days

Twitter and TikTok have been like this for 2/3 days. It's plausible that some would take that into the stadium...

Last edited: